PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Legends PC Controls

Vordi
24th Feb 2007, 22:25
I have played all the earlier tomb raider games and found that up until Last Revelation it got better and better, I purchased AOD and was very dissapointed at the slow and clumbersome gameplay.

I have now downloaded the Legends Demo to find that the controls are totally different. I guess there are many of you that have grown up with tomb raider and when you have played 5 of the 7 games and most had the same control this one is a massive culture shock.

I dont know about other people but why change something that worked so well. I dont get it.

Dont get me wrong Legend looks to have recaptured the gameplay but and it looks great graphically. Just the controls are too much of a change for a hardened PC Tomb Raider player.

Lunideth
24th Feb 2007, 23:16
Because earlier tomb raiders didnt have mouse and keyboard. Legends controls are excelent for mouse and keyboard. Much better that earlier games.

And TRAOD was buggy whole game so its not surprise that controls wasnt very good. Although the wasnt bad if you can use only keyboard.

And if controls change is so much shock then is graphic too?? Why change graphics to good when ugly triangle shape graphic worked so well?? Why change numbers in raiders when just "Tomb Raider" worked so well?? Why make new plots when old worked fine? Why make new enemies when old worked fine? Why make better games when worse worked well?

rabid metro
25th Feb 2007, 00:32
...too much of a change for a hardened PC Tomb Raider player.

hopefully, not too hardened to enjoy a great new game.

consider this little snippet...
awhile back, in a discussion about telephone technology, not here of course,
someone commented "why don't all phones have rotary dials?" ...
now that, to me, is hardened ... fossilized ...

aussie500
25th Feb 2007, 03:46
Well some of us at least do play games other than Tomb Raider so no l have nothing against having completely different controls. The only problem is now l get confused when swimming and inevitablely end up pressing the wrong buttons when l change between Tomb Raider 1, AOD and Legend :nut:

Vordi
25th Feb 2007, 12:41
And if controls change is so much shock then is graphic too?? Why change graphics to good when ugly triangle shape graphic worked so well?? Why change numbers in raiders when just "Tomb Raider" worked so well?? Why make new plots when old worked fine? Why make new enemies when old worked fine? Why make better games when worse worked well?

I dont think you are seeing my point, that for those of us that have played all the TR games will have got used to the keyboard controls. I dont think that Crystal Dynamics thought about this. And as for the questions about graphics and that they are bound to improve with time and it is relative to the hardware available, so that has no bearing on the interaction between human and computer. Its just eye candy and Legend has lots of it. It is just a shame that the controls are so rubbish and unlike the classic tombr raider games

Shrensh
25th Feb 2007, 12:50
Count me as another one who likes the controls introduced in Legend; the only controls I had trouble with were the swimming ones (I kept trying to use the mouse to pull back when I wanted Lara to surface). I prefer using the mouse to the old outdated keyboard system. That one only really worked with the old grid-based engine that Core used to use.

Astara
26th Feb 2007, 09:05
It is just a shame that the controls are so rubbish and unlike the classic tombr raider games

Sorry, can't disagree more. The controls (I only tried 4,5,6(AOD)), were pathetic earlier. It took forever to do anything. They just are
NOT any fun for me.

If the keys from earlier versions came back, I would stop playing that game and. They were way too tedious and provided much too fine a level of detailed control with no way to work on a macro level. I just want to get from point A to point B -- not have to plot out a course like a strategy game. Just jumping across an obstacle in 4&5 is a major work. In Legend -- just run and jump -- like in *real life*... I don't measure # of steps back, or think about what stride to use.

Things like pulling a level -- in legend. I just walk up near it and do it. In 4&5 -- had to line myself up in one way. Acceleration in running was like driving a car. Didn't feel natural, at all. Turning in old games? She turned like a tank -- one foot waddling forward, one waddling back with her waddling side-to-side like a mannequin. In legend she just turns. The controls are *responsive*. I never felt that in prior games I tried -- I admit, I only gave them several hours -- it was too painful even when it wasn't crashing.

I think the main thing I hated about the earlier games -- no mouse or gamepad usage. Couldn't figure out a way to use them nor to look around -- felt like moving in a straight-jacket.

But I can understand a "hardened" veteran, not likely the new system. IMO, much of the challenge and reason the old games were so much longer than the current was because of the tedium of the controls. It's like sweating bullets -- and if you mastered it, you would be a hardened Tomb player. But I didn't want a hardening, military experience -- I wanted "fun". Sometimes I wonder if preferences regarding controls (detail, accuracy, level of control provided, etc...) have some relation or correlation with a player's gender...

A*a

RuumTaedor
26th Feb 2007, 14:54
It is just a shame that the controls are so rubbish and unlike the classic tombr raider games

Well, no and yes. I personally prefer the classic controls, but I wouldn't call the Legend controls rubbish, just different from the previous Tomb Raider games. If you're a Tomb Raider, you'll adapt to whatever comes your way and voice your opinion to try and make the world a better place to live. ;)

rabid metro
27th Feb 2007, 02:51
.. If you're a Tomb Raider, you'll adapt to whatever comes your way and voice your opinion to try and make the world a better place to live.

:)
always, ruum ...
:thumbsup:

raid on!