PDA

View Full Version : No Headset!

Trinity88
20th Feb 2007, 21:09
According to Jason Botta @ CD in PSW magazine, Lara has no headset in Anniversary, he says its to give the feel of isolation, as it is what made the original so great.

Im really pleased about this, the isolation, the lonliness, the lack of intelligence, its GREAT and its is back!

Im sorry if this has already been posted about, but i didnt see anything!

RuumTaedor
20th Feb 2007, 21:13
Great news! Now we're talking!

GoranAgar
20th Feb 2007, 22:00
Now we're talking!
No, we are not. :lol:

rabid metro
21st Feb 2007, 04:38
Now we're talking!
No, we are not. :lol:

I hear you! ... :whistle:

"They say that you don't need a headset to communicate with nature."

Sorin
21st Feb 2007, 05:06
Well it makes sense. They're claiming to be as true to the original as possible, but updated with Legend graphics and mechanics. I think they and everyone else knows full well the whole headset bit would be going too far. Just feels obvious to me, in my opinion.

mrcube
21st Feb 2007, 16:42
...I think they and everyone else knows full well the whole headset bit would be going too far...

It would be going far far far too far. Leaving the headset out is very good, it just annoyed me in Legend, I didn't mind it back in Chronicles when it was only for the VCI levels, but having it there all the time got on my nerves, in TR9 (or 8? Whatever you want to call it) I want the headset to me more chilled out, and used alot less.

Sorin
21st Feb 2007, 21:01
It would be going far far far too far. Leaving the headset out is very good, it just annoyed me in Legend, I didn't mind it back in Chronicles when it was only for the VCI levels, but having it there all the time got on my nerves, in TR9 (or 8? Whatever you want to call it) I want the headset to me more chilled out, and used alot less.

I really liked the headset when it was used sensibly. As in when they would be discussing some point, like at the end of both Bolivias, or when finding the shield in Kazakhstan, when talking about the legend of King Arthur in England, and that sort of thing. Where I didn't like the headset was when it was used for retarded things like Zip saying "WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!" "Yeah Baby!" "Do it again!" "This might be a good time to use the RAD mode of your binoculars."

mrcube
21st Feb 2007, 21:49
I really liked the headset when it was used sensibly. As in when they would be discussing some point, like at the end of both Bolivias, or when finding the shield in Kazakhstan, when talking about the legend of King Arthur in England, and that sort of thing. Where I didn't like the headset was when it was used for retarded things like Zip saying "WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!" "Yeah Baby!" "Do it again!" "This might be a good time to use the RAD mode of your binoculars."

Yup, I think you nailed it, by feelings exactly, it needs to be used in moderation, not all the time, to tell you when to do everything. It's a nice informative when you get to hear about the artifacts, but when your playing on hard mode you don't want him telling you to use your binoculars in RAD mode.

Psychopompador
21st Feb 2007, 21:52
LOL-

when i first saw this thread, i though someone had bumped one from 6-7 months ago.

Captain Mazda
21st Feb 2007, 22:45

TR8 would be Legend 2. TR9 will probably be based on the 3rd movie ;)

Anniversary doesn't follow the numbered chronology. It's just TR:A.

And whoop-de-doo, no more annoying children blabbering to Lara constantly :thumbsup:

Raider0011
21st Feb 2007, 23:55

I agree with you there. I think that the verbal cues should be in the game for Easy Mode, but any other mode should just make use of the headset to advance the story. I think it was a good idea from that standpoint, but unnecessary and annoying for some of the other stuff.

mrcube
22nd Feb 2007, 18:30
TR8 would be Legend 2. TR9 will probably be based on the 3rd movie ;)

Anniversary doesn't follow the numbered chronology. It's just TR:A.

And whoop-de-doo, no more annoying children blabbering to Lara constantly :thumbsup:

Nice to have that cleared up ;) It's just TR:A, so in that case, I'm looking forward to TR8, lol.

ditom
22nd Feb 2007, 21:05
I like headset in TRL but TRA is remake so it's good idea to make Lara lonely.

pinkangel07
23rd Feb 2007, 01:58
hmm... i actually loved Zip and Alister on the headset. It wasn't lonely, which I loved. Their bickering and small talk amused me. But, I know I am one of the slim few who liked the whole headset aspect, but I would appreciate if Eidos/Crystal Dynamics made it an option in Legend 2 or whatever to please everyone, because I can see where it would get very annoying for those who love the classic gameplay where Lara is totally isolated.

rabid metro
23rd Feb 2007, 02:50
hmm... i actually loved Zip and Alister on the headset. It wasn't lonely, which I loved. Their bickering and small talk amused me...

the headset didn't make sense for 10ann, from a development perspective.

you could probably correlate the "perceived" personality of posters here and their enjoyment of the headset.
the "grumpy" types won't like the headset, soooo ... minimizing its usage should be an option, in the legendary series,
and consideration should be made for the difficulty level since the headset did, at times, make the game far easier.
however, at other times, the headset provided much needed insight, too, which is different than "making the game far easier".

i thoroughly enjoyed the chatter in the headset (and always reserved the right to turn down the volume if i wanted to). btw, it wasn't just the headset chatter, there were times when Lara overheard what others were saying, like the merc's in bolivia talking about smoking monkeys. this, to me, was a brilliant feature in Legend. if the Legend plot is fully developed then the headset will be there, except maybe for sequences where Lara may be forcibly constrained, for some reason.

Taylour
25th Feb 2007, 03:25
I liked the headset, although I got tired of hearing "That was stunning" whenever I did a long combonation of flips. I DO STILL THINK that TRA wouldn't feel right with a headset, because when she was exploring those tombs wasn't that before those things excisted for long range use. AND I MEEN LOOOONG RANGE. like tibet. :)

mrcube
25th Feb 2007, 19:10
And, how would her headset get a reception in those tombs? :scratch:

Alexlovesguns
25th Feb 2007, 23:57
I think Lara could have a headset but at the begining of each new game it would fall and break into tiny little pieces along with the RAD binoculars and the PLS... thats why TR:A is looking so promissing:) .

LisaB1962
26th Feb 2007, 02:58
I know I am one of the slim few who liked the whole headset aspect,

I too like Zip and Alastair in concept. I think it's appropriate for Lara to have a team, and I admit I laughed out a couple of times. But I hated how they would solve a puzzle for you by telling you what to do. I'd like to keep them, but as part of an on call "hint system." Like Hit L2 and Lara will say "Take a look at this guys" and they'll feed you a hint.

Typically, the one time I wanted to hear their stupid hint was the one time the sound effects obscured the dialogue. I had to go to the web to figure out what to do with Amanda's monster. Men---always useless when you need them. LOL

Trinity88
26th Feb 2007, 18:05
I quite like that idea Lisa they could be there on the other end of the headset but only speak when you "ask" them to! :D

Crimson Flux
26th Feb 2007, 22:06
I liked the aspects of the headset in TRL; it gave the game a lot more depth (again, if you could hear the voices amidst the background noise). I also liked the comic relief at times. But when RAD mode started up and the player got a whole bunch of childish responses (ie "you could move that" or "It's live!" - :scratch: thanks captain obvious), I felt like they were assuming Lara was to stupid to recognise that she can move crates or that sparks shooting out of a wire ment it was dangerous :mad2: . If Edios wants to incorporate the headset into a game, they shouldn't make it sound like the voices are guiding Lara; more like they are on the edge of their seat, can hold it in because she's in such a dangerous situation. Of course, the only thing Edios should be thinking about in Anniversary as far as the headset is concerned is leaving it out.