PDA

View Full Version : About the so called "Teamspeak Only" servers...

BlackLotus
19th Feb 2007, 08:51
What's the big deal in using teamspeak on public servers with 8 players in a game that is slow enough that you can type as fast as you can talk? Seriously... I can understand for a gang of people that all know each other and organize a match in advance and want to use teamspeak for it, but having hosts kicking people out of their lobby because they don't feel like using teamspeak is completely (for lack of a better word) anal.

I won't name anyone *cough* maxxisomething... *cough* woops sorry... but I've seen 2 hosts doing that so far quite consistently (enough so that when I joined another room and told people about it, they all knew the guy for being particularly jerky about his teamspeak). One that was clearly labeled as "Teamspeak Only" so that was fine, I just didn't join... but another that had no specific label where the host started calling me a "noob" because I didn't want to use teamspeak...

I have the software, and I've used it before and still do sometimes... but not on the fly like this (like most people). I've used it with clans playing shooters and the like, or some MMORPG's during group raids and such, but not on a 8 players game where you can't react a fast as a shooter anyway?!!

I mean what could you coordinate better on teampspeak than on chat for this game? Seriously? Do you absolutely need voice to communicate "Enemy sub near me, someone sends depth charge bombers now!" or "You attack the shipyards and I'll attack the airfields" or "Cover my bombers!"? In the best of cases, you'll have a friendly ship ready for you if he was prepared for it, but otherwise, it takes long enough for ships and planes to come to your help that talking doesn't give you any advantage, and you can type just as well. It's also not a simulator where you can coordinate complicated airstrikes or "call targets"... it's point-and-click!

If more people would just read the chat once in a while and pay attention there wouldn't be a need for teamspeak. The only time I see that you can't type is if you're controlling a plane and you're in the middle of a dogfight... but you can still do a quick tab and chat something while the AI takes over for 5 seconds!

Am I the only one that feels like that or what? Using voice-comms is great, but it doesn't make you "the elite" because you use it, and it's actualy a pain in the ass to note down the IP, ALT-TAB, start the software, quick-connect (with or without a password), and then have to listen some 15 years old kid yapping and screaming "YOOO WASSUP DUUUUDES LET'S KICK SOME BUTTS YEAH!" or some other "wannabe master of them all" barking orders here and there... Plus the fact that before you have everybody setup and ready to go, you've spent 10-15 minutes in the lobby waiting to play...

So please... if you want to host a game with your friends and use teamspeak, label your server accordingly, otherwise don't force people to use it if they don't want to! And don't call them "noobs" because they don't feel like using it either... especially if it's 4AM and the person can't make a lot of noise!

chip5541
19th Feb 2007, 09:37
I know where you are coming from. Having 4 kids can make it darn near impossible to use TS. Either I cant use it when they are awake because I don't hear them when they get into something or I can't use it when they are asleep for fear of waking them up. It's a catch 22. :scratch:

Some people have reasons why they can't "chat" while playing and calling them a noob when you don't know why someone can't chat is petty.

Samsonov
19th Feb 2007, 09:45
You're not the only one - voice comms are 90% totally useless even in FPS games, let alone something slow paced as this. They make sense if you're playing fast paced FPS with your clan, with 8+ people per side, where you are all trained in using commos in most efficient way possible. I used TS when I was in "realism" clan for RO, even then, and even with my clan mates it was pain in the backside.

In most games that support it I end up VOIP-banning people from voice channels, or disabling the VOIP together.

BlackLotus
19th Feb 2007, 16:07
You're not the only one - voice comms are 90% totally useless even in FPS games, let alone something slow paced as this. They make sense if you're playing fast paced FPS with your clan, with 8+ people per side, where you are all trained in using commos in most efficient way possible. I used TS when I was in "realism" clan for RO, even then, and even with my clan mates it was pain in the backside.

In most games that support it I end up VOIP-banning people from voice channels, or disabling the VOIP together.

Thanks for the support... For games like Battlefield 2142, I love using voice comms if I have a good squad, but then again... you don't have to alt-tab out and do some extra leg-work just to sign in... it's integrated in the game... If BSM had that integrated VOIP feature I'd use it all the time over chatting for sure, but even then... for the times you'll really need it, it's just not worth it.

Tex Vindictive
19th Feb 2007, 16:31
This is a pain. Its what happens when young ones have what they think is a little control. To call someone a noob for not using TM. Come on. :nut:
As you stated - have to listen some 15 years old kid yapping and screaming "YOOO WASSUP DUUUUDES LET'S KICK SOME BUTTS YEAH!" or some other "wannabe master of them all" barking orders here and there

Yeah sure, like they're the real gamers. When they go around calling everybody noob, its because daddy bought them a nice computer. Real gamers don't care about having to have control. They just wish for everybody to have gg's and help with people trying to learn.
Game well and hope you find some good servers.

t3py0n
19th Feb 2007, 20:09
well said!

9 out of 10 times you cant even hear your self think when the "young ppl" (kept that one nice) scream and... errrrrr give some.... orders?!?.

TS or similar gismos are good for 1 thing only... training.. depending if your in a clan.
And even then I hate when there's to much talk.

chip5541
19th Feb 2007, 20:16
It is good for COD2 sniper servers. :D

Evilmonkee
19th Feb 2007, 20:23
How could it possible affect you if someone wants to run a TS only server?

I know of whom you speak and he does a good job of maintaining the TS server and hosting a dedicated TS game on a regular basis. There may have been a few times where someone else in the group has hosted a game and neglected to label it TS only. That's unfortunate, but the majority of the time it is clearly labeled, and yet there are always people joining who ignore that fact.

The strict running of the TS server ensures that everyone using it has it set up correctly and everyone can communicate clearly. There is respect for others on the channel. It is not a private club and new players are constantly encouraged to join up and register on the server, which takes all of a minute or two. If only more TS servers were operated this way, more people would probably use it on a regular basis.

As to why use TS for this game at all, is really just your opinion. Good for you that you can make use of the chat system. Why do you care if some people prefer to use TS? Again, how does this possibly affect you? There's no shortage of games to join, and if there are then you can host one yourself.

Unfortunately, the game(as it is) doesn't support dedicated servers or password protection. This makes the act of kicking those who, for whatever reason are not on TS, a necessity. I admit there have been times where a little "fun" has been had with people who did not seem to get that we were a TS only server. It is always made clear through chat on where to download TS and how to join the server. I've never seen a group of people so patient to get more people on TS than just start the game.

I just don't get the need for this public slogging on the forums because some people wish to play with TS and exhibit some control on how they play. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Please move on and find another game. There are plenty. In the end I agree with you on two points. The server should always be labeled accordingly and second, name calling shouldn't be tolerated. Although the latter is certainly not exclusive to the TS server.

Evilmonkee
19th Feb 2007, 20:25
well said!

9 out of 10 times you cant even hear your self think when the "young ppl" (kept that one nice) scream and... errrrrr give some.... orders?!?.

TS or similar gismos are good for 1 thing only... training.. depending if your in a clan.
And even then I hate when there's to much talk.

While this may be true for many TS servers, this is not the case with the one being singled out here.

BlackLotus
19th Feb 2007, 21:02
How could it possible affect you if someone wants to run a TS only server?

I know of whom you speak and he does a good job of maintaining the TS server and hosting a dedicated TS game on a regular basis. There may have been a few times where someone else in the group has hosted a game and neglected to label it TS only. That's unfortunate, but the majority of the time it is clearly labeled, and yet there are always people joining who ignore that fact.

The strict running of the TS server ensures that everyone using it has it set up correctly and everyone can communicate clearly. There is respect for others on the channel. It is not a private club and new players are constantly encouraged to join up and register on the server, which takes all of a minute or two. If only more TS servers were operated this way, more people would probably use it on a regular basis.

As to why use TS for this game at all, is really just your opinion. Good for you that you can make use of the chat system. Why do you care if some people prefer to use TS? Again, how does this possibly affect you? There's no shortage of games to join, and if there are then you can host one yourself.

Unfortunately, the game(as it is) doesn't support dedicated servers or password protection. This makes the act of kicking those who, for whatever reason are not on TS, a necessity. I admit there have been times where a little "fun" has been had with people who did not seem to get that we were a TS only server. It is always made clear through chat on where to download TS and how to join the server. I've never seen a group of people so patient to get more people on TS than just start the game.

I just don't get the need for this public slogging on the forums because some people wish to play with TS and exhibit some control on how they play. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Please move on and find another game. There are plenty. In the end I agree with you on two points. The server should always be labeled accordingly and second, name calling shouldn't be tolerated. Although the latter is certainly not exclusive to the TS server.

I have nothing against teamspeak only servers as long as they are labeled properly as I said. My post wasn't meant to bash on one per say (althought I did find that maxxi guy to be quite an ass when his server said nothing of teamspeak before I joined), but on the people that give you attitude (also on non-teamspeak-only servers) because you're supposedly a "noob" or "not cool" for not using TS... as if it was a pre-requisite to play this game and that if you didn't like it, you were an idiot and you were ignorant. I'm speaking in general... I've seen this attitude quite a bit lately and I find it quite stupid.

I basically got "preached" on miracles of teamspeak when I joined that server... I was accused of "not being a team player" and called names... when I wasn't abusive to anyone myself, and then I was kicked. I just don't want to see more servers like that show up. I'm actually a very good team player and I like tactics, but I don't like talking that much in this game (it's a strategy game, not a shooter!) and most people are on my side I believe...

But anyway, the point of this post was to see if I'm the only one thinking like that and as you could see from the replies...: I'm not, so I'm relieved.

I just don't want this community to be split in 2 with the "teamspeakers" on one side and the "chatters" on the other. There's few enough servers as it is that if we have to start filtering people out because they don't use teamspeak, we'll end up with only a few servers to play on... sometimes I only see 2-3 servers available...

-=BoM=-HyTech
19th Feb 2007, 23:27
Im in a clan where we play BF2 and 2142 and use a Ventrilo Server for voice comms. I'm the only one from clan to play this game so far so I don't have anybody to talk about the game with. When I first saw the Teamspeak only server I was happy about it and joined up right away. I already had TS so it was easy for me.
The people I meet on that server are very helpful towards any so called noobs. There is a lot to know about this game and it's not always easy for new guys. If anything I think this Teamspeak Only server helps this game. The people who join it come away with a better understanding of the game. Once you get to know some people it can be a lot of fun. Just meeting new people is fun.

So I obviously don't have a problem with TS only servers. It's for the people who are willing to download it and want to talk to someone about the game.

The host should be polite but he is the host. If you go to a party and the host says please do not smoke in the house you out of respect say OK. If the host of the game says Teamspeak only you out of respect say OK. The man of the house makes the rules umm....or maybe it's my wife.****

jeff744
20th Feb 2007, 00:38
on the PS2 with SOCOM:CA, that kin of thing is necessary for a win just because so much goes on ata one time that a good team needs to keep communications, and you can always find the ones that don't listen because they always seem to die first, so yeah this is a good idea

lpjd
20th Feb 2007, 01:15
Part of the problem is even if the server is labeled, if a player chooses quick game it drops them into the first available server. This happens often with those who have the demo getting into full version servers. This is one of the things a patch is desperately needed for.

antiSniper07
20th Feb 2007, 01:47
"To Each His Own" Can it be said any Clearer?

poisonpill
21st Feb 2007, 15:18
I wouldn't join that maxxi** guy's server anyway. I joined his TS once and he was this older gentleman who took the game faaar too seriously. Heck he must've been at the Battle of Midway and was trying to relive his past or something. Also after each game he would type "take 5" and proceed to take a dump or something for literally 5 minutes.

It *might've* been someone else, but he was definitely a teamspeak snob.

But yeah, the main point is that the game operates so deliberately that if you know how to type, you can organize a game plan just as easy.

EuT.be
21st Feb 2007, 15:56
Euhmz.. Teampspeak. I know it and have it but barely use it for team comms. Usually we're having a beer and a chat during games as we're barely yelling or telling where the enemy could be or such matters

Amit9821
21st Feb 2007, 22:26
I wouldn't join that maxxi** guy's server anyway. I joined his TS once and he was this older gentleman who took the game faaar too seriously. Heck he must've been at the Battle of Midway and was trying to relive his past or something. Also after each game he would type "take 5" and proceed to take a dump or something for literally 5 minutes.

It *might've* been someone else, but he was definitely a teamspeak snob.

But yeah, the main point is that the game operates so deliberately that if you know how to type, you can organize a game plan just as easy.

hey Maxxi is a friend of mine, i met him through the TS only server and he told me to join his TS server. so i did and once in i was able to learn all kinds of things from the people using TS. most of our games are training sessions for all the kinds of ships, subs, and aircraft. u ppl r just being stupid, if u hav a problem join a different server and show some respect, if some1 does not want u in their server then they should be able to kick u to a reasonable extent. most of the time we let ppl without TS stay and we just use TS agaisnt them, we win everytime. the first time i joined they greeted me very well and helped me fine tune my skills, now everygame i play i always come out as first with the most points and medals even if my team didnt win.

most of u ppl probably wonder what we talk about during a battle so let me explain what goes on:

we start up a server, we pick a side and ask who wants what spot and take turns using the various ship/aircraft slots. we giv a time period where we let the teams discuss their tactics and then when they r ready we start the game. when the game starts we talk about the where the enemies r and what they r doing. then we execute our plan and hav fun.

the way poisonpill said that Maxxi takes this game too seriously is very different from wat actually goes on, we just talk about stuff and cool ship and what we liek to do in the game, i dont know anything about him being a Pacific war freak.

BlackLotus
23rd Feb 2007, 04:21
hey Maxxi is a friend of mine, i met him through the TS only server and he told me to join his TS server. so i did and once in i was able to learn all kinds of things from the people using TS. most of our games are training sessions for all the kinds of ships, subs, and aircraft. u ppl r just being stupid, if u hav a problem join a different server and show some respect, if some1 does not want u in their server then they should be able to kick u to a reasonable extent. most of the time we let ppl without TS stay and we just use TS agaisnt them, we win everytime. the first time i joined they greeted me very well and helped me fine tune my skills, now everygame i play i always come out as first with the most points and medals even if my team didnt win.

most of u ppl probably wonder what we talk about during a battle so let me explain what goes on:

we start up a server, we pick a side and ask who wants what spot and take turns using the various ship/aircraft slots. we giv a time period where we let the teams discuss their tactics and then when they r ready we start the game. when the game starts we talk about the where the enemies r and what they r doing. then we execute our plan and hav fun.

the way poisonpill said that Maxxi takes this game too seriously is very different from wat actually goes on, we just talk about stuff and cool ship and what we liek to do in the game, i dont know anything about him being a Pacific war freak.

That's all nice and all... but most people don't want to be elites and "experts" at every ship and planes and know the specs of every damn ship by heart or learn advanced tactics that make you win all the time... Most people WANT TO HAVE FUN! Personally, I don't find it fun at all to spend 30 minutes in a lobby just deciding who will do what and who will have what before the game all starts... Like most people I just want a quick game to relax and learn from my own mistakes, not have a university level training over teamspeak!

That said, I joined the Old Fartz a while ago and it's actually nice to be on voice comms with people while you play I agree, but we don't have those training sessions... sometimes I'm gonna join the ventrilo server just to chat with antisniper until 4am about anything... and finally join a quick game, or sometimes I join the vent server and some of the members join me in a game for a few minutes to a few hours and we play, but we don't take ourselves too seriously, which is what's called "setting limits..." it's a game!

That discussion is over anyway... Like anti said: "To each his own"... just don't come bragging at us that you're elite with your teamspeak because you spend hours training seriously... we're just going to laugh at you for being such geeks hehe

Rheinpfeil
24th Feb 2007, 13:54
I also hate these TS gamers which say that Teamspeak is a must have for playing a game.

Sure it is a nice thing if you play with some friends and you can coordinate your actions faster. But with random people? ****ty microphones, high voices, screamers, whining babies, TV in the background, eating and munching in the microphone, and people who can't lose simply make it a no go for me.

TS for a random group of players really add nothing to the gameplay. A found out that the general chat is more than enough to coordinate your group or help a new player to get started.

For those who like to use it, sure why not. But there is absolutely no reason to exclude players from gaming simply because they don't want to join the TS server.

Maxxim
26th Feb 2007, 16:14
Hello Everyone! (from the teamspeak server admin Maxxim)

(DISCLAIMER Yes, you too are a geek if you play games and complain in forums, so lets keep this positive - if you believe in helping people the way we do.. and yes we help people out the door when they refuse to follow house rules..whether labled on the game server window or not, all rules are typed in chat window explicitly for the less fortunate audio users..)

First I'll take this opportunity to help anyone who is interested in finding out what all the fuss is about..

Free version of teamspeak 5.59megs at www.goteamspeak.com
Sinply install it, press connect, press quick connect, enter your nickname and enter our domain name in the teamspeak ip address box which is www.connectvoice.com (we dont use an ip address to prevent giving headaches to blacklotus)

See how easy that is?

I have no idea who this maxxi guy is.. but if it he was running an excellent teamspeak server which actually out-performs the general audience's ill-informed misconception shown in this thread I would join too!

None of the problems mentioned in here ever last more than a minute on my teamspeak server because people want to be heard and speak to others - it's only natural.. and those who have met me can verify that there is every good reason for using simple discipline like keeping the mic off to the left of your airstream when you're spitting out words.. and learning how to use brief com codes and taking turns speaking.. after all is said and done, your role in a slow naval game like this one gives you so much time to type, we let you type any non-essential coms as often as you like.. <nothing stopping you from carpal tunnel syndrome if thats what you want>

My server runs the highest quality CODEC - speex 25.9 kbit.
Because we use the crystal clear high performance quality, we can actually hear the imperfections in your cheap $3 mics- and all of our tech-savvy users share knowledge to solve sound card and headset audio difficulties for anyone that asks! (we know where YOU can get very nice, very expensive headsets always on clearance price for only $22.95 once you know the website we found them at)

"did you know a seperate sound card with it's own CPU gives you better framerate performance?" Many people we invite into our teamspeak server find out tips and tricks to tweak their systems like this one.. come in sometime and see what else we can help you with..!

Do you like to be the first to find out the game secrets so you can have MORE fun than the other guy? Sometimes we'll have something for you in that category - without resorting to cheating - stop in and check us out !

Did you know we have more players on our teamspeak server in the top-ten national rankings than any other server for Battle Stations Midway? And that we may possibly be working on a co-operative program with the developers for running a competition for prizes and cool stuff?

Unfortunately due to my old age, I am not on 24hours a day.. and when I am on, I have to rest in-between battles to gloat over my team's new high score, or take a bio-break. Sincerely, you think I'm going to let those 24 pizza's sitting next to my beer keg get crusty? I hope you all feel bad for bashing an old man who tries so hard..

/sarcasm off

If you clearly feel so emotional about getting kicked for bad mouthing someone who plainly explains house rules, remember this one bit of salient advice: When your temper tantrum takes hold of your pre-pubescent brain forcing you TYPE IN ALL CAPS in game chat rooms and/or generally be annoying and whiny... expect less of a welcome party in your name when you arrive screaming at us to "GO GO GO" and use OUR pc's to run a server just so you can self-gratify yourself all over your joystick and disconnect pre-maturely...

(minimum age limits enforced - but nothing stopping you from running your own server)

poisonpill
26th Feb 2007, 18:53
If you clearly feel so emotional about getting kicked for bad mouthing someone who plainly explains house rules, remember this one bit of salient advice: When your temper tantrum takes hold of your pre-pubescent brain forcing you TYPE IN ALL CAPS in game chat rooms and/or generally be annoying and whiny... expect less of a welcome party in your name when you arrive screaming at us to "GO GO GO" and use OUR pc's to run a server just so you can self-gratify yourself all over your joystick and disconnect pre-maturely...

(minimum age limits enforced - but nothing stopping you from running your own server)

Yup, this is that guy. I sincerely have no problem with Maxxim's game though. I mean he clearly lists his server as "TEAMSPEAK ONLY". I only posted what I did to warn others that he's really serious about playing this game. If you just want to kick back and blow stuff up for 20 minutes and then do something else, DONT join his game. I don't think he wants you in his game anyway.

Amit9821
26th Feb 2007, 21:31

(DISCLAIMER Yes, you too are a geek if you play games and complain in forums, so lets keep this positive - if you believe in helping people the way we do.. and yes we help people out the door when they refuse to follow house rules..whether labled on the game server window or not, all rules are typed in chat window explicitly for the less fortunate audio users..)

First I'll take this opportunity to help anyone who is interested in finding out what all the fuss is about..

Free version of teamspeak 5.59megs at www.goteamspeak.com
Sinply install it, press connect, press quick connect, enter your nickname and enter our domain name in the teamspeak ip address box which is www.connectvoice.com (we dont use an ip address to prevent giving headaches to blacklotus)

See how easy that is?

I have no idea who this maxxi guy is.. but if it he was running an excellent teamspeak server which actually out-performs the general audience's ill-informed misconception shown in this thread I would join too!

None of the problems mentioned in here ever last more than a minute on my teamspeak server because people want to be heard and speak to others - it's only natural.. and those who have met me can verify that there is every good reason for using simple discipline like keeping the mic off to the left of your airstream when you're spitting out words.. and learning how to use brief com codes and taking turns speaking.. after all is said and done, your role in a slow naval game like this one gives you so much time to type, we let you type any non-essential coms as often as you like.. <nothing stopping you from carpal tunnel syndrome if thats what you want>

My server runs the highest quality CODEC - speex 25.9 kbit.
Because we use the crystal clear high performance quality, we can actually hear the imperfections in your cheap $3 mics- and all of our tech-savvy users share knowledge to solve sound card and headset audio difficulties for anyone that asks! (we know where YOU can get very nice, very expensive headsets always on clearance price for only $22.95 once you know the website we found them at)

"did you know a seperate sound card with it's own CPU gives you better framerate performance?" Many people we invite into our teamspeak server find out tips and tricks to tweak their systems like this one.. come in sometime and see what else we can help you with..!

Do you like to be the first to find out the game secrets so you can have MORE fun than the other guy? Sometimes we'll have something for you in that category - without resorting to cheating - stop in and check us out !

Did you know we have more players on our teamspeak server in the top-ten national rankings than any other server for Battle Stations Midway? And that we may possibly be working on a co-operative program with the developers for running a competition for prizes and cool stuff?

Unfortunately due to my old age, I am not on 24hours a day.. and when I am on, I have to rest in-between battles to gloat over my team's new high score, or take a bio-break. Sincerely, you think I'm going to let those 24 pizza's sitting next to my beer keg get crusty? I hope you all feel bad for bashing an old man who tries so hard..

/sarcasm off

very well said, and my mic isnt worth $3, its a real mic meant for PA systems that has a PC jack built rigth onto the wire so ya.

BTW im gordon9821

BlackLotus
27th Feb 2007, 00:51

1. I wasn't bad mouthing anyone and I never used caps when that happened.
2. All I said was something like "are we going to play now or what?" because you had been babling about the vertues of TS for 5 minutes and wouldn't stop.
3. You kicked me after that simply because I said I didn't want to use teamspeak, and note that your server label was NOT 'Teamspeak Only" that time.
4. I have TS installed, and run my own server, and I know everything about it, so you can stop pretending I'm a noob that doesn't know anything about it. I also have a 80$ AudioFX Force Feedback Headsets and a SB X-FI extreme gamer sound card. It's not the setup time I didn't feel like, it's the "write IP down, alt-tab, join and listen to people I don't know give me orders" part I didn't feel like. Just wanted a quick game.
5. The whole point of this post was to rant about the people thinking they are better than everyone because they use teamspeak and spend hours coordinating games until everyone plays perfect, and then calls anyone who is not abiding to their "tantra of Teamspeak" noobs or (as you so gently called me that night) uncooperative players that are not teamplayers, when it's not true at all.

That said, in case you haven't read through the other posts, I joined the Old Fartz (meaning I'm not a teenager like you seem to think I am, unless you're mixing me up with another player... I'm 29) and had fun on their ventrillo... The difference is that I don't take myself as seriously as you and my goal is to have fun, not to become an elite player of BSM so I can pwn everyone I play against.

Now you can keep bringing this post to the surface I'm not adding anything else, this is pointless and I made my point. Play as you like and I'll do the same.

BlackLotus
27th Feb 2007, 00:58
Yup, this is that guy. I sincerely have no problem with Maxxim's game though. I mean he clearly lists his server as "TEAMSPEAK ONLY". I only posted what I did to warn others that he's really serious about playing this game. If you just want to kick back and blow stuff up for 20 minutes and then do something else, DONT join his game. I don't think he wants you in his game anyway.

Sorry had to answer this guy too...

I never joined a server that said "Teamspeak Only" and whine in caps like you say I did... And I'm not stupid enough to join that Teamspeak ONly server and then pretend I didn't see the name... The only times I've used all caps is on my own server when someone comes back as a demo on a non-demo map for the 10th time and doesn't get it, or if I want someone to wake up INGAME because he doesn't see the chat and I've been sending private messages asking him something for 10 minutes...

The ingame nick is Ticker. If you're going to accuse me of using all caps and whining like a 15 years old take some screenshot next time, cause I don't recall doing that.

chip5541
27th Feb 2007, 05:27
yup! I was on earlier Monday too and I got booted too. There was no listing of TS and the funny thing is that I even ended up in his server several times using quick join. After about a minute or 2 after asking if this was a TS server only I was kicked. The courteous thing to do would have been to say yes. Some people don't have the luxury to use TS because of certain issues such as a sleeping baby. (yes, there are times I play without using audio). Some people have legitimate reasons for not using TS and sometimes it just isn’t a matter of a $3 mic...

EuT.be
27th Feb 2007, 08:47
Ooooh, playing w/out sound.. I LOVE IT + you dont need speakers, a soundcard and maybe a microphone. So what's the TS Only server usefull that moment :p

Luckely BF2 and BF2142 has build in VoIP but somethimes that's annoying as hell when some 9yr old kiddo join the squad and starts yelling with his squeeky voice.

So imagin BSM with build in VoIP.
Then there are no more TS ONLY servers (hehehe, suckah's :p)
Then I wish also a MUTE button to mute those irri squeeky persons cause I dont want to be def at my age.

Also, you want co-orporative play, then join a server where are persons on it that wants co-operative play and no TS/Vent is required to do this.

Maxxim
27th Feb 2007, 15:23
(edit: Hi Gordon! - Hytech! - Evilmonkee! - Hi to all the others who support having fun and support kicking whiny little kids who cant respect server hosts rules! For the rest, someday you might want to try to run a server and see how well you manage to get your OWN results whatever they may be..)

Of course I will take this opportunity to follow up some of your other comments since you got to speak in this forum first.. now it's my turn :)
Happy to oblige - never got so many new players joining before, but now with all this free advertising, we'll run more servers.. it'll be good for the community..

blacklotus - What's the big deal in using teamspeak on public servers with 8 players in a game that is slow enough that you can type as fast as you can talk?

("Hey Ticker, DUCK! here comes a d.. oops typo typo delete delete depth charge and torps... oops too late, so sorry you're visiting Davey Jones")

The above example being typed over chat is the end result too often for far too many randomly chosen players "supposedly" working on the same team.

poisinpill - If you just want to kick back and blow stuff up for 20 minutes and then do something else, DONT join his game. I don't think he wants you in his game anyway.

Thank you poisinpill.. definitely on point.. find a server that fits your needs..

Most of the odds and ends players wanting to "do anything they want just to blow stuff up" anonymously while simultaneiously wasting other peoples limited recreational time joining a side and not understanding that servers are run by other people - with other ideas - on what is fun and what is not - could be doing their own server, or joining one clearly advertised differently, and inviting like minded trigger happy idiots to join in and randomly blow stuff up.

We submit that style of role-playing the maniac-on-the-loose shooting everyone or anything you want to blow up - would end in a spree of teamkills (TK), or non-responsive player types backstabbing the goal-oriented players by ruining the resources of the team in some other way.

Why pressure the community to believe we refuse to use "YOUR" play-style when you offer nothing to us and expect us to run a server for your typing needs?

You might compare that to a brainless exercise of hitting yourself in the head with hammer because it feels so good when you stop.. but we dont. We dont take the game too seriously, we have fun with it. Apparently your definition of fun is what got you into this forum complaining. You sure never visited OUR TS server or had any facts to back up some of your "more baseless" comments.

There's a whiny noise in here, and it sounds a bit like "Mommy! the big boys wont let me play with them cus I suck!"

Game hosts that have your amount of planning, teamwork, & strategy involved are more like romper room baby sitters, and you would be most likely admonished and kicked in the end anyway. If not, why worry? Go join their server, we'd like to see you enjoying yourself instead of spewing hot air over spilled baby-milk. But if you're now using ventrillo and having *choke* fun *choke* playing the game.. arent you now "too serious" about the game like us?

Not everyone prefers typing Mr. social expert on humanity :) We fill the need for voice coms.

blacklotus - Seriously... I can understand for a gang of people that all know each other and organize a match in advance and want to use teamspeak for it, but having hosts kicking people out of their lobby because they don't feel like using teamspeak is completely (for lack of a better word) anal.

Once you understand why you were not accepted.. you'll only have your little gerbil buddy to talk to about being anal.

(It's like anything else in life: he who has the gold makes the rules ... in this case the person running the server (the gold) decides to seperate the players that dont understand clearly why we prefer teamspeak from those of us who do use it to the maximum benefit for all accepted - key word "accepted" no guarantees made to anyone who comes in and wishes to stay)

We have over two dozen players that come online regularly and wish to play other teamspeak users.. we DO NOT have the space within the game window or server name to make all rules visible to every player that joins faster than we can kick them to make room for the select few that we agree to hold space for, and those are the people we want to ACCEPT for a well run game.

(Since you were never ACCEPTED you never found out what a properly run Battlestations Midway game with OUR TS server is like.. and all your comments about what happens on our TS server which you NEVER visited is too full of conjecture on your part to comment on.)

As several people in here all agree now, including the original emotional *cough blackloser cough* poster admits himself.. he got his rant off.. and now he says ...

Blacklotus - "this is pointless and I made my point. Play as you like and I'll do the same."

Thank you, definitely on point there too! Just ask poisinpill if you didnt get the pointless point.

Blackpointless - It would have been simpler if you realized who had "the right to make the rules" from the beginning.. but less emotionally satisfying for you in the forums..

Here are the rules we type - these are the preachings you enjoyed reading :)
this is a teamspeak server.
you need free version of teamspeak.
anyone here doesnt have teamspeak?
go to www.goteamspeak.com
do you have teamspeak yes/no?
no reply = kick
no english = kick
no teamspeak = kick
come back later when you have teamspeak.
you dont need a mic to listen in.

Server starts when our regular players fill the slots, or we kick those we need to make room for, especially if they are non-responsive, no english.. (and no, I am not going to learn every language from every country this game is sold into.)

If you ask us for the ip address, we teach you a simple domain name that doesnt have to be jotted down.. www.connectvoice.com <-NOT a web page, use for teamspeak ONLY- and we know that if you are such a good typist.. you wouldnt have to worry about it while jotting it down so fast... (Too many people forget how to use pencil & paper once the PC habits have formed..) We even repeat it multiple times while chatting on voice about how fast the un-cooperative players will be crushed, if this session is one of those that we play against non-teamspeak users..

Our record time for defeating the un-organized lot of typists... is 9:21.. nine minutes / twenty-one seconds.. we even tell them they need voice if they hope to respond lightning quick to the rapidly changing situation we give them.. they are usually not much of a challenge.. and we go back to playing members only, which are much more challenging levels of play.

Yes you will be laughed at if you have severe problems spelling words and still expect us to let you play without voice.. unfortunately for 1337 typist users, our ships dont carry Enigma machines..

(P.S. after typing out the rules several times, we feel we have given most people who claim to be able to type faster than necessary to play this game, a more than fair chance to inquire or say "no thanks, I'll leave"..

...but guess what? They wont admit that they expect to keep sitting there hoping we wont notice them ignoring our rules being typed out to EVERYONE - and this is what happened to blackloser or whatever his name is..)

This is such a fair system, and the speed in which our server fills up due to its AWESOME ping rate guarantees that we have many more FUN games, more often than if we wait for a few chucky JR's to come in and start typing all anonymous evil comments and trash talk. Not on voice? No problem = kick.

Even the original poster of this thread says -

Blacklotus - "I basically got "preached" on miracles of teamspeak when I joined that server"

Such is life, dont get what you want, cry in the forums about it. But you did learn to admit - we will play it our way, and you can go play it your way... we just showed you the exit, and instead we let the more prepared players come up to the speed of sound.

Mission Successful - Maxxim wins / Blacklotus - didnt even play...

chip5541
27th Feb 2007, 16:09
And thus ends out lesson in TS only servers.

I would like to add just one thing, and this goes for all TS servers, when someone asks if this is a TS server only the cortous thing to do would be to atleast respond. At least it shows the person asking the question is concerned enough to ask.