PDA

View Full Version : The Original Tomb Raider Design Document

BlueSkiesXXV
18th Feb 2007, 14:01
Greetings!!!

As 'TR: Anniversary' is soon to be released I thought that it would be a good time to look back at the original Tomb Raider.

Click the picture of Lara below to view the original Tomb Raider Game Design document by Toby Gard.

I hope that you find it as interesting as I did.

Blue ones!!!

http://www.blueskiesxxv.com/1bTR/Design.jpg (http://www.blueskiesxxv.com/TR.html)

Phlip
18th Feb 2007, 14:15
that was interesting, Lara looks very ugly there:whistle:

BlueSkiesXXV
18th Feb 2007, 14:54
She looks ugly...That is the extent of your feedback

Did you even read the document???

Phlip
18th Feb 2007, 14:55
yere, it said there were going to be 5 levels.

RuumTaedor
18th Feb 2007, 15:01
Interesting, Blue Skies. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Phlip, perhaps you have to show a little more appreciation for this ground-breaking document.

Treeble
18th Feb 2007, 15:01
Thanks for sharing. I wonder if Sebek and Xolotol were first sketches of Qualopec and Tihocan. I know that (forgot the man's name, was it Johnatan?) eventually devoloped into Natla, but had never seen the other two characters before. :)

Martin C
18th Feb 2007, 16:22
Interesting read. Always good to see the original ideas and concepts for a game and to compare it to what the final product ended up like.

As for Lara's original look in those documents, it was based on the same look Tank Girl had, hence the combat pants.

And Lara Cruz always makes me laugh :lol:

Martin C x

BlueSkiesXXV
18th Feb 2007, 16:22
I love seeing early concept drawings and documents.

TREEBLE, you mentioned how some of the characters may have developed, and it does makes you wonder.
It is really interesting to have born witness to something that grew from a few simple pages into a global success.
It makes you proud to be a Tomb Raider fan :)

Here are some of my favourite snippets:

*) It is basically a 3D action maze game, the TWIST is that the action is not first person but third.

*) Lara Cruz is a modern day adventurer and procurer of rare artefacts, which she relives from Johnny foreigner with the gay abandon of a five-year-old stealing mars bars from the local corner shop. She then sells the heritage of these countries for a profit, and perverse xenophobic pleasure.
I wonder if Toby remembers writing that ??? :D :D

*) The game starts simply with Lara arriving at the entrance to a lost Incan city, with no more grand an idea in mind than a little thievery.

*) The plot is revealed to the player in between level FMV sequences. These will heighten the feeling of being part of an ongoing story rather than just playing through a series of meaningless game levels.

*) THE CHAOS RAIDERS (noted underneath the picture of the guy holding a gun).

munchkin
18th Feb 2007, 17:57
Greetings!!!

As 'TR: Anniversary' is soon to be released I thought that it would be a good time to look back at the original Tomb Raider.

Click the image below to view the original Tomb Raider Game Design document by Toby Gard.

I hope that you find it as interesting as I did.

Blue ones!!!

http://www.blueskiesxxv.com/1bTR/Design.jpg (http://www.blueskiesxxv.com/TR.html)

Hi blueskies

I love seeing these sort sof things, concepts and stuff. Great seeing Lara then and Lara now.... ;)

Beccaxx

mrcube
18th Feb 2007, 19:18
Wow, that was a great read, very interesting to see how different (and similar) the original idea was, to the final one.

The '5 Levels' thing is interesting, because he also said that they would be split into to 'zones' which is similar to how it ended up, although less levels and more zones.

Also think those drawing are interesting and the original Lara is definitely not as nice the final one, lol. Also strange to see that they were originally called Atlans, but became Atlantians.

Rascalius
19th Feb 2007, 14:33
This is so interesting. It's great to see that despite all the 'tiping errers' it still went on to be the greatest video game in the history of the world. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

blue_box
19th Feb 2007, 18:20
Thanks for sharing! That's really interesting and Great!!! :D

tif croft
19th Feb 2007, 19:40
very interesting! :thumbsup:

StarChampagne
19th Feb 2007, 20:04
Thanks! That was really interesting. The fact we are sitting here over 10 years later discussing the document is a testament to Lara's huge and ongoing popularity... bet Toby didn't envisage that when he was writing it :D

20th Feb 2007, 09:22
Those are nice! I went along a few weeks ago but I didn't get the opportunity to take pics... because you aren't supposed to :rasp:

I got thrown out of the Pixar exhibition last year for taking pictures of the concept designs of 'For The Birds'. :lol:

Raider0011
20th Feb 2007, 15:37
That was a very interesting read. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted online before. Though there are certainly a lot of changes between this and the final game, I am surprised at how much stayed the same. I've never developed a game, but I always assumed that the "suits" made more changes as a game progressed (That's what I've assumed happened with certain games I won't mention that turned out much worse than expected... ;) ).

BlueSkiesXXV
22nd Feb 2007, 10:14
Glad to see that you liked it :)

#############
20193 WROTE: I didn't get the opportunity to take pics... because you aren't supposed to.
#############
>>Hi 20193, I did not see any signs telling me not to & I do not think they really minded as I filmed a few of my buddies goofing around with the Wii system that was hooked up to a projector.
The marshalls were standing next to me.

#############
Raider0011 WROTE: I'm surprised it hasn't been posted online before.
#############
>>Hi Raider0011, I agree, especially as these very same documents were on display when GAME ON was last doing the rounds.
The first time I saw this design document was on 2nd June 2002 (GAME ON, Barbican Gallery, London).

aussie500
23rd Feb 2007, 10:21
Thanks for sharing that with us Blue Skies :thumbsup:
Glad they decided to give the lead character a bit more class, and a much better nemesis in Natla and her plans for world domination. Restoring the world in an eco friendly manner just does not seem to have the same impact as stopping former Atlantian ruler from taking over the world