PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Controller problems

Evilmonkee
18th Feb 2007, 06:15
I just got one of those new wireless gaming receivers that allow you to use your existing wireless x360 controllers on a PC.

The software installed fine and it was recognized. No problems there. So I go into BS:M and select the 360 controller preset and proceed to customize it a bit. I've run into a few problems right away.

First of all, for some reason, the LT/RT is seen by windows as a Z-Axis, and not individual buttons. This is presenting a problem if I want to try and setup the controller to mimic the same setup as on the Xbox 360. For example, on the 360, LT=Next Weapon(cycle) and RT=Fire. This cannot be recreated on the PC because if you try and map LT(Zaxis+) to Next Weapon, then RT is automatically assigned to Previous Weapon(Zaxis-). This will conflict with mapping Fire to the RT(Zaxis-). If I try to map Previous Weapon to anything else then it automatically sets Next Weapon to N/A, like the two commands are somehow tied together.

A similar conflict exists when trying to map the Zoom In/Zoom Out commands. On the 360, you first have to toggle Zoom mode(binocs/periscope) with the Y button. Then you uses the LS(up/down) to zoom in/out. LS is also used as the speed up/slow down command on the 360. On the PC, there is a separate mapping for zoom mode which is assigned to the Y button(button 3). But when you try to map the LS(up/down) to both speed up/slow down AND zoom in/zoom out, they conflict. The game ignores the whether or not you have activated zoom mode and performs both actions. LS will always control speed AND zoom, even if you have toggled zoom mode.

So far these are the only two major conflicts that I seem to have found so far.

One thing that might help is if there were some external programming software for the wireless 360 controller. Maybe there is, I haven't done a thorough search. I sincerely hope the next game patch will address some of these controller concerns though.

Memnoch
18th Feb 2007, 07:19
The problem is that there are multiple degrees of sensitivity for the triggers. That's why in some games you see a difference between pulling the trigger all the way down and gently squeezing it. That makes the game recognize it as a stick instead of a button.

I bought the wireless controller to use with BF2142, and I am having the same problem.

Oddly enough, it sets the jump and fire button as A for some reason. No clue.

Another thing, there is no programmed "dead space" on the 360 controller. Dead space on the joysticks are areas that you have to move it past for the controller to recognize that you've moved the stick. So they will pretty much constantly keep moving unless you have them on the EXACT center, but you pretty much have to put down the controller to keep it there.

There needs to be some kind of fix from MSoft for this, or else we just wasted $20.

Evilmonkee
18th Feb 2007, 07:58
Well I did some searching and I found a program called Pinnacle Game Profiler (http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/). They charge $20 for it but you can trial it for 30 days.

I've been poking around with it a bit but right now I'm not convinced it will solve all the problems. You can set things like Dead Zone and mouse emulation, etc.

It appears that I would be able to resolve the LT/RT Zaxis problem since it allows you to map a specific key to each trigger.

I'm not sure how to handle the other problem of the Left Stick having a dual role as speed control and zoom control. This seems more like something the game would have to recognize. Currently, the Zoom toggle command for the PC just toggles between binoc/periscope and regular view. Whatever you have mapped for the zoom controls are completely independent of the speed controls. This is fine if you are using a keyboard/mouse as you will probably have the scroll wheel assigned to zoom in/out and the W/S keys for speed control. On the Xbox 360, this is not the case. It recognizes when you are in zoom mode and the Left Stick, which is normally speed control, becomes zoom in/out. This is obviously done because there are only so many buttons/sticks on the controllers, so some things have to pull double duty.

Now why this little fact got missed by the developers is beyond me. There is obviously built in support for the Xbox 360 controller. It should be able to be used just like it is for the 360. The whole point of using the controller is to use it INSTEAD of the keyboard/mouse.

Oh well, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. I think for now I'll just skip trying to get the controller to work how I want it for the entire game. I'll probably just use it for flying which is the main reason I wanted to use the controller on my PC. Flying just sucks with a mouse.

MixedupJim
23rd Feb 2007, 20:56
i use my xbox360 wired controller and have no problems. I just used the preset config for the xbox360 controller and its exactly the same as playing on the xbox except the zoom function.

I wonder if its a problem with wireless controllers only.

Deamon18
8th Mar 2007, 13:39
ok this is what i donĀ“t get what is it with those wired controllers360? doesnt have a port for controllers exept 2 usb slots in the front.

MixedupJim
8th Mar 2007, 13:49
the controllers are usb, so you just plug them into the front of the console....or the front/back of your pc