PDA

View Full Version : Static IP and Wireless Router??

hragarand
16th Feb 2007, 16:39
I understand you need a static IP for the port forwarding. However I am running a wireless router Linksys WC200 or something like that and it seems when I screw around with the router to host BSM games it impacts the ability for my Mac system and Xbox 360 to connect to the home network.

At this point I can play MP BSM no problem - however I do get the 6500 port message if I try to host.

Guess I will just hold on for the patch in 4 or 5 weeks.

BlackLotus
16th Feb 2007, 17:36
I understand you need a static IP for the port forwarding. However I am running a wireless router Linksys WC200 or something like that and it seems when I screw around with the router to host BSM games it impacts the ability for my Mac system and Xbox 360 to connect to the home network.

At this point I can play MP BSM no problem - however I do get the 6500 port message if I try to host.

Guess I will just hold on for the patch in 4 or 5 weeks.

There's something you did wrong or forgot to do if you get that error. It's pretty clear. Did you forward the port 6500 on your router to the IP of your Gaming PC? If you get that error, it's because it's not possible to connect to your PC on port 6500 from the outside, so it is either blocked or not properly forwarded. Also make sure you used UDP for the port's protocol and not TCP...

And you still can have a static IP even if you're wireless... the wireless part is just the medium used to connect to your router, the rest works the same way.

jwhal
17th Feb 2007, 16:11
Try updating your router firmware that did it for me.

Also I didnt open any ports or set a static IP I set my gaming computer to DMZ and disabled my UPnP (was disconnecting my wireless laptop with it enabled) With just that I was able to join servers but not create one until after I updated my firmware now I can join and create.

BlackLotus
17th Feb 2007, 17:54
Try updating your router firmware that did it for me.

Also I didnt open any ports or set a static IP I set my gaming computer to DMZ and disabled my UPnP (was disconnecting my wireless laptop with it enabled) With just that I was able to join servers but not create one until after I updated my firmware now I can join and create.

very risky business doing that though... Hope you know it. You've basically made your PC wide open to attacks or network propagated viruses...