PDA

View Full Version : Fring ranges

Rabidflyer
16th Feb 2007, 13:21
I just bought this game yesterday.Can someone give me the best range to fire torps from including maxz range and min range.Have not got used to controls yet.:)

Maybach
16th Feb 2007, 14:19
If you have a target selected and you are in range, then a little orange light next to the targeted ship's name will light up.

FireFrost
17th Feb 2007, 18:03
A good pointer on torps is to spread fire them at your target at medium-long range, which will essentially corner your target and prevent them from out-maneuvering all your torps, at least one or two may hit. Personally, I haven't had a lot of luck with this strategy, and find torpedoes only useful at close range.

At close range, lead the target, find the sweet spot and let em rip, the opposing ship likely won't be able to turn or get out of the way of your barrage in time...

Asterothe
17th Feb 2007, 20:16
1.2 units for torpedos.

jeff744
18th Feb 2007, 05:21
if you are facing off against a destoyer heading for you it's best to wait till about 0.9 before firing, it removes most of the chances of outmanouvering them

m t freestyler
18th Feb 2007, 06:10
if you fire before that they usally miss any way

crazyhorse128
8th Jun 2007, 22:42
1.2 units
NM-NauticalMiles

xmlguy
9th Jun 2007, 00:25
There is no minimum range for torpedos when launched and running on the surface. A destroyer can be running alongside and touching another vessel and still cause full damage with torpedos. When submerged in a sub, the torpedos need some distance to rise to the surface, so you can miss a target by launching torps under it. When dropped from planes, torps can also miss under the vessal if the descent rate causes the torp to submerge instead of run along the surface. Torps should be launched as close as possible to achieve a certain hit. A missed torpedo shot is much more costly than any other kind of attack. Forget about lucky long shots: they aren't worthwhile.

M0n3y
9th Jun 2007, 11:27
i launch them between 0.5 and 0.3

and most of the time i hit it :D

crazyhorse128
10th Jun 2007, 14:35
with plane mounted torps I get very close before releasing my payload

M0n3y
10th Jun 2007, 15:52
same here :D

princecaspian4
15th Jun 2007, 22:53
I subs, I prefer to get to about 0.3-0.1, I like firing as soon as it switches from 0.2 to 0.1, if you wait any longer you are too close and the torps will go under, also, fire all of them at one place, don't spread them around, if all hit in the same area it will cause more damage then all 4 hitting different parts of the ship. Once you have fired, go under the ship you just hit and when you come on the other side of him fire your aft torps (make sure you go down a little bit so that you won't scrape your periscope off on the bottom of the ship's hull, but not too deep or else you won't be able to fire your aft torps).
Also, I wouldn't bother firing a spread at long range, it is too easy for a ship (even one as big and slow as a BB) to turn and go between the torps.

xgamerms999
17th Jun 2007, 00:43
0.2 Nm

Wolfpack Apone
19th Jun 2007, 13:10
torpedoes have a range of 1.2 miles before they run out of steam (watch the map next time you launch torps at long range range you will see them disapear from the map wen the run out of steam)

so in theory anything under 1.2 miles is good but in practice launching torps this far our simply gives away ur possition(if in a sub) and is a complete waste of a wave of torp bombers as non of the ordinance will hit.

as a rule try to het as close as possible so 0.1 or 0.2 and then fire, anything more than that and you increase the chance that the torps will miss.

also if engaging a larger target try to aim for its midships asd this will decrease the chance of it escaping ur attack either if they r goin forward or slam the boat in full reverse you have a good chance of hitting.

xgamerms999
23rd Jun 2007, 16:51
If ur in a sub 0.1 will go under him

M0n3y
24th Jun 2007, 09:52
yeah i normally fire from 0.3 and when i'm behind a ship 0.2

Wolfpack Apone
25th Jun 2007, 16:11
If ur in a sub 0.1 will go under him

not if uve just rolled into 0.1 range, ive neva had a torp miss from this range