PDA

View Full Version : Cant Host? Quick Fix!

antiSniper07
15th Feb 2007, 23:16
The Simple method for Pass-Thru Broadband Modem users;

Connect directly to your Modem(ByPass Router), disable 3rd Party Firewalls. Turn on WinXP Firewall.
Goto Start/Control Panel/Windows Firewall
Select the "Exceptions Tab/Add Port" and add these;

TCP

UDP

You should now be able to Host/Connect! :whistle:

mwilson7
15th Feb 2007, 23:37
Thanks for the info! For us non-computer types this is quite helpful. I did what you said but I still get an error message that says I need to open port 6500. how do I do that?

P.S. The game rocks!!

antiSniper07
15th Feb 2007, 23:58
Its a UDP port on the list, you must have missed it.

BlackLotus
16th Feb 2007, 04:52
You're doing way too much for nothing there...

Enable the XP firewall, but then add battlestationsmidway.exe to the Exceptions program list and you won't have to manually add each port...

But seriously, just learn how to do port forwarding on your router instead. A router is a LOT more efficient than a software firewall to filter traffic, and there's only 3 ports that you need to forward in your router if you want to host games.

The rest of the ports are outbound only, meaning you only allow those ports out on a firewall if it's filtering outbound traffic (which the Windows XP Firewall is NOT doing...).

The readme file is clear on that:

GameSpy Arcade needs the following outbound ports open in order to function:

6667 (IRC)
3783 (Voice Chat Port)
27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
28900 (Master Server List Request)
29900 (GP Connection Manager)
29901 (GP Search Manager)
13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
6515 (Dplay UDP port)

To host a game behind a home router / firewall device the following Port Forwarding settings need to be configured. Please consult your router manual or supplier’s support site for details how to configure this.

6500 (Query UDP port)
1042 (Query UDP port)
2302 (DirectPlay UDP port)

If you are hosting and experiencing lag, check your upload bandwidth, which will often not be the same as your download. If your players are experiencing unacceptable latency and you are not able to make more upload bandwidth available, try reducing the number of players.

If you only have a router and don't have a firewall, and just want to play the game (Join servers and never host) then you don't even need to do anything.

If you have a software firewall that is filtering outbound traffic (from your PC to the internet), then you have to tell it to allow all the inbound ports AND the outbound ports. Most people forget this... (For example, it's one thing to forward port 6500 on your router, but if it's not enabled on your firewall too it won't work). On most recent software firewalls you can add entire programs to exception lists, meaning the firewall will allow any traffic coming from that program, which simplifies it a lot.

Also note the part about upload bandwitdh... If you have a DSL connection with a max of 60Kb/sec upload rate (which is pretty standard in some countries), don't even try to host for more than maybe 2 players. You need a decent cable connection or more to host games with 8 players. It's not the download that counts, it's the upload.

antiSniper07
16th Feb 2007, 06:21
Enable the XP firewall, but then add battlestationsmidway.exe to the Exceptions program list and you won't have to manually add each port...

This Method don't work Chief! GameSpy? :rolleyes:

just learn how to do port forwarding on your router instead

I made the post for those who wanted a quick fix to their problem. I believe Col. Falcon has already explained Static IP's and Port Forwarding to those who wish to try and configure their Routers. Maybe you missed that post eh?

If you only have a router and don't have a firewall, and just want to play the game (Join servers and never host) then you don't even need to do anything.

I'm pretty sure they figured that one out Chief :nut:

On most recent software firewalls you can add entire programs to exception lists, meaning the firewall will allow any traffic coming from that program, which simplifies it a lot.

In a perfect World this maybe true, but not with a new game that authenticates through GameSpy. Now quit being redundant, I'm old, I can't take it. :mad2:

Also note the part about upload bandwitdh... If you have a DSL connection with a max of 60Kb/sec upload rate (which is pretty standard in some countries), don't even try to host for more than maybe 2 players. You need a decent cable connection or more to host games with 8 players. It's not the download that counts, it's the upload.

I think once they saw a few floating Battleships, they would probably figure this out Chief. So they find out what their Bandwidth limits are, and work with what they got. It's not Rocket Science. :whistle:

Bunnyhop
16th Feb 2007, 14:42

I have a 128kb/ps upload and have no problems hosting 8 player games. The only times I get complaints of lag is when I'm tabbed out and running something CPU intensive. With that in mind a 60kb/ps should have no problems hosting at least a 4 man server (considering one player is the host) and the upload isn't being used by anything else on his connections.

Enable the XP firewall, but then add battlestationsmidway.exe to the Exceptions program list and you won't have to manually add each port

That hasn't worked for me or any of my buds. We've all had to go through the process of screwing around with our ports to properly host a server, even with the .exe added to the firewall exception list. In fact...once you've got the ports open...Windows firewall prompts you to add 2-3 separate items to it's exception list to handle the server traffic.

BlackLotus
16th Feb 2007, 16:23
This Method don't work Chief! GameSpy? :rolleyes:

I made the post for those who wanted a quick fix to their problem. I believe Col. Falcon has already explained Static IP's and Port Forwarding to those who wish to try and configure their Routers. Maybe you missed that post eh?

I'm pretty sure they figured that one out Chief :nut:

In a perfect World this maybe true, but not with a new game that authenticates through GameSpy. Now quit being redundant, I'm old, I can't take it. :mad2:

I think once they saw a few floating Battleships, they would probably figure this out Chief. So they find out what their Bandwidth limits are, and work with what they got. It's not Rocket Science. :whistle:

No need to be all sarcastic there... CHIEF... And adding battlestationsmidway.exe to the exception list of the Windows XP firewall DOES work. The game doesn't launch a separate process for Gamespy, it's only using its engine. But if you're using Gamespy Arcade externally, then obviously you'll need to add aphex.exe to the exception lists as well...

As for people figuring things out on their own... I'm sorry, but I've been reading those forums for QUITE SOME TIME, as well as the forums on Gamespot, and most users are CLUELESS about that, you're overestimating the knowledge of some people here. I didn't write this post for advanced users either, and I do know that Col. Falcon already did write something about port forwarding.

Also, I know I'm correct when I say you're doing too much because you're adding OUTBOUND ports to the XP firewall when it doesn't even filter outbound traffic... if you want to add ports manually to it, then you only need to add 3, and that's only if you want to host games.

The only time you'll need to add all the gamespy ports to the allow rules of a software firewall is if that firewall supports outbound filtering.

BlackLotus
16th Feb 2007, 16:29
That hasn't worked for me or any of my buds. We've all had to go through the process of screwing around with our ports to properly host a server, even with the .exe added to the firewall exception list. In fact...once you've got the ports open...Windows firewall prompts you to add 2-3 separate items to it's exception list to handle the server traffic.

Can you post the names of those processes then? If it's asking for more it's not documented anywhere, so maybe all you have to do is add those programs to the exception list as well. There's only 3 ports you should have to open on the XP firewall. The others are outbound only, and windows XP firewall does not filter outbound traffic... How often will I have to repeat this?

antiSniper07
16th Feb 2007, 21:10
No need to be all sarcastic there... CHIEF

That thousand word essay above wasn't written to be Sarcastic? Practice what you preach! I am just trying to help here, I don't know everything. If I am wrong about something, I'm only human. But no matter what, I always try and help. I posted a Quick and Dirty method, yes. So?

... And adding battlestationsmidway.exe to the exception list of the Windows XP firewall DOES work.

Your so condescending your not reading these posts. Many people have tried this and it didn't work. The reason it probably didn't work for them wasbecause they didn't understand their Router config, Static Ip. Doesn't matter what is changed locally when you have a router filtering packets, then Forwarding to the wrong internal address.

As for people figuring things out on their own... I'm sorry, but I've been reading those forums for QUITE SOME TIME, as well as the forums on Gamespot, and most users are CLUELESS about that, you're overestimating the knowledge of some people here.

Further proof you don't seem to actually read the posts. This entire Thread was aimed at those that were having trouble with their Routers. Someone is CLUELESS all right :scratch:

Also, I know I'm correct when I say you're doing too much because you're adding OUTBOUND ports to the XP firewall when it doesn't even filter outbound traffic... if you want to add ports manually to it, then you only need to add 3, and that's only if you want to host games.

It wasnt my port list. I copied it from Col Falcon. I assumed it was correct.
and FYI, this is where I became Sarcastic, wasn't this all you really needed to say to begin with? :cool:

Bunnyhop
16th Feb 2007, 21:47
I honestly don't remember the exact processes. Looking at my exception list I can't see anything that screams out at me, all I remember is when I launched the servers I received three separate prompts from the windows firewall.

As for the port modding, I think I mislead you believing that I needed to adjust the ports on the WinXP firewall to get the game running. I didn't. When I referred to port adjusting I had been talking about router changes.

I might play around with the exception list tonight and see if I can figure out what it was specifically I got prompted for when I started up the engine. It very well could have been accepting incoming ports if the bsmiday uses multiple processes to handle connectivity...I'm talking out my ass now though...I gotta do some investigating before I know for sure.

antiSniper07
16th Feb 2007, 22:53
The benefit here is, if you learn the right way to do it, then when future games come out you wont have the same trouble. I am not the best guy to explain things here, I am no Rocket Scientist. The principle is simple, it's the delivery of the Solution that's hard. So many different configurations.

Internet to router(specific ports to be opened, then forwarded to Pc), router to Pc. Other factors can make this very complicated. For instance, if your Router Control Panel is hard to navigate. Other problems may arise in the fact some Router's only give you a limited number of slots for Port Forwarding, then you must use Port Triggering or a combination of both. The assignment of a Static Ip can be very intimidating to many, again each router is different, some manuals are limited in their information. A simple task for one make/model might take an Act of God for another. Then there is 3rd Party AV Suites/Firewall's that get in the way. Windows Firewall. :mad2: :mad2:

This is why so many have trouble, they fix one link in a chain of 10 links and get discouraged. Unfortunately, it's the Nature of the Beast. You can either Hunker down and do it right, or give in to the Quick and Dirty! :rolleyes:

The choice is yours :whistle:

BlackLotus
17th Feb 2007, 02:44
About static IP addressing... technically, you only need to do it if you have more than one PC connected behind your router. The way a router is setup (for the ones who don't know) is that it will assign the first PC that connects the first IP that's available (DHCP (http://searchvoip.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid66_gci213894,00.html)) based on the range you setup. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure the default startup range for the DHCP assigned IP's on most routers start at 192.168.1.100. meaning the first pc that connects gets that IP, and the next .101 and so forth.

If you only have one PC, it won't ever change and will always be the same IP, so you can safely forward ports to it without having to setup a static IP. (Whether you're using wireless or wired doesn't apply).

If however you have more than one PC's, or more particularly a laptop that you often disconnect/reconnect to your router, you risk the chance that if you connect the 2nd PC while the first one is turned off, that that PC gets the IP the 1st had before (following me?) and vice-versa, which is why you assign a static IP (which will be outside of the DHCP range)to make sure that doesn't happen.

I know it looks like Chinese to some people, but if you just re-read this a few times you'll see it's actually a pretty simple concept.

For the ones interested to know how to setup static DHCP addressing (which doesn't require you to setup anything specific on the PC itself), let me know via PM, I don't want to add more complexity to this, but know it's another way to do it...

antiSniper07
17th Feb 2007, 05:07
Would you mind if we played some BSM together. I would very much like to drop some Ash Cans on you haha :lol: :rasp:

BlackLotus
17th Feb 2007, 18:04
Would you mind if we played some BSM together. I would very much like to drop some Ash Cans on you haha :lol: :rasp:

Why? Cause I posted a clarification about the need for static IP addressing in the topic you started? Making it simpler for the ones who don't actually need it?

Or cause you just don't like me for some reason?

But sure, my nick is in my signature... bring it on Old Fart :p:rasp:

antiSniper07
17th Feb 2007, 20:17
as the Kids say, "Dude!! Get over yourself!!". :D

No, I just like a Challenge :whistle: