PDA

View Full Version : Public Battlestations teamspeak server?

ModerateN
14th Feb 2007, 19:06
Like the topic shows, are there any servers on teamspeak that are open for public? Just for playing multiplayer games randomly :D

BlackLotus
19th Feb 2007, 09:02
Like the topic shows, are there any servers on teamspeak that are open for public? Just for playing multiplayer games randomly :D

What's the point? You don't need teamspeak for public games... Besides, it takes too long for everybody to be setup and ready to go if you want to use it... just read the chat and learn how to type while you play... it's not hard really and I've seen amazing teamwork done via chat only.

Organize on a teamspeak server with a bunch of people you know and then start a server, kicking all but the ones on the teamspeak server until everybody is there... don't ask for public players randomly joining to use teamspeak with you... that's just useless.

antiSniper07
19th Feb 2007, 10:11
What's the point? You don't need teamspeak for public games... Besides, it takes too long for everybody to be setup and ready to go if you want to use it...

Takes too long to setup? Oh I see, you mean free TS hosted on personal Pc's. Try setting one up on your own server, then there is No Trouble! You only setup once, then it's Smoooth Sailing Chief! :whistle:

BlackLotus
19th Feb 2007, 16:12
Takes too long to setup? Oh I see, you mean free TS hosted on personal Pc's. Try setting one up on your own server, then there is No Trouble! You only setup once, then it's Smoooth Sailing Chief! :whistle:

No not that... I have my own TS server, It's not hard to setup... What I mean is the time it takes for everybody in the lobby to join the same server as you, and get their sound settings fine even if it's a 1 time setting for most... (there's always this guy who has a bad "voice activation" setting or something)... It's not integrated in the game, it's an extra step and it makes it so the game starts 10 minutes later just cause everybody needs to connect (write down IP and password, alt-tab, start TS, quick connect to the IP, join the right channel, alt-tab back, etc...)

I just don't see the point of it for a game like this where typing is more than sufficient. You can't coordinate teamwork the way you can do it in a FPS anyway cause you're rarely playing with all your units in the same spot and it's not like you need quick reflexes to play this game either... so even if someone chats you "Incoming bombers!" or says it in voice comms, the result will be the same.

There's also the fact that sometimes you just don't feel like talking to other people, or you can't (because you have people sleeping near you for example), and it's not fair to have part of the team on teamspeak and the rest chatting. The people on teamspeak always end up ignoring the rest of the players and that's really annoying.

That's my point.

antiSniper07
19th Feb 2007, 22:46
No not that... I have my own TS server, It's not hard to setup... What I mean is the time it takes for everybody in the lobby to join the same server as you, and get their sound settings fine even if it's a 1 time setting for most... (there's always this guy who has a bad "voice activation" setting or something)... It's not integrated in the game,

No, this is bad Management. No One uses Hands-Free/Voice-Activation, it's push to talk or your in someone else's VOIP.

cause everybody needs to connect (write down IP and password, alt-tab, start TS, quick connect to the IP, join the right channel, alt-tab back, etc...)

Suddenly the topic has changed from VOIP Sucks to Quick VOIP Sucks. There is no reason I can think of to try a quick setup of TS/Vent. This is supposed to be dedicated, not on-the-fly. How much does it cost? 24 man for 5 bucks a Month is Nothing! Who can't afford that?

I just don't see the point of it for a game like this where typing is more than sufficient. You can't coordinate teamwork the way you can do it in a FPS anyway cause you're rarely playing with all your units in the same spot and it's not like you need quick reflexes to play this game either... so even if someone chats you "Incoming bombers!" or says it in voice comms, the result will be the same.

No you don't, and you may never see it. There's more to gaming then just the game. There's comradery with your Group, whom slowly become your friends. TS/Vent is a Great thing that brings gamers together closer then they could ever get and thus brings a realizm to an overall flavorless experience.

There's also the fact that sometimes you just don't feel like talking to other people

Then don't join?

and it's not fair to have part of the team on teamspeak and the rest chatting. The people on teamspeak always end up ignoring the rest of the players and that's really annoying.

hmmm, is their some reason you can't speak? :(

BlackLotus
20th Feb 2007, 00:35
How much does it cost? 24 man for 5 bucks a Month is Nothing! Who can't afford that?

Teamspeak is free by the way... but that's not the point, guess you won't get my point ever either.

hmmm, is their some reason you can't speak? :(

Hummm, where did I say I cannot speak exactly?

Not everybody wants to chitchat with people live over voice comms after a long day at work you know... I usually just want a quick game, laugh a bit with people I don't know and get out. I'm not a patient man either, and the older I get the worse it is... so if I'm not in the mood, it's actually better I stay "off the air" or I'll end up losing patience at someone. Weekends is another thing though, but then again, I'd have to see it to believe it...

Tell you what, give me the IP of a TS server so I can join before starting BSM and I'll give it a try and see what's so crazy cool about it. I'm sure it can be fun if the people are nice, I'm not that stubborn... I can be pretty funny too on TS... And it's true it can be useful not having to type sometimes, but I still think it's not a necessity and that it doesn't make you a better player per say.

antiSniper07
20th Feb 2007, 00:59
Teamspeak is free by the way... but that's not the point, guess you won't get my point ever either.

Well, I just don't understand it. Yes TS is free, so is Vent. What I was saying is you can Rent a plan or Host it on your own Server. Then it is 24/7. The problems you spoke of are associated with On-The Fly Temp TS/Vent servers hosted on someone's Pc. If it's Dedicated, there's no trouble.

Not everybody wants to chitchat with people live over voice comms after a long day at work you know... I usually just want a quick game, laugh a bit with people I don't know and get out.

Then that's your right. You can chose not to use them. What's not your right is to post to someone that is looking for a place to play how stupid it is to do so. He's lonely and just looking for some Company. If I didnt have the guys I do, to talk to, I simply wouldn't be Gaming.

I'm not a patient man either, and the older I get the worse it is... so if I'm not in the mood, it's actually better I stay "off the air" or I'll end up losing patience at someone. Weekends is another thing though, but then again, I'd have to see it to believe it...

Then maybe VOIP isn't for you. At our Community there is no drama, no fights. The occasional disagreement with me and ScottyWAR, but I love those :D

Tell you what, give me the IP of a TS server so I can join before starting BSM and I'll give it a try and see what's so crazy cool about it. I'm sure it can be fun if the people are nice, I'm not that stubborn... I can be pretty funny too on TS... And it's true it can be useful not having to type sometimes, but I still think it's not a necessity and that it doesn't make you a better player per say.

You have my web site address, join and post in the "Start Here" section and the info will be provided to you. I wont even know who you are. Please understand that if your focus is disruption I will Ban you, but if you honestly try to get along, your as Welcome as Anyone!

BlackLotus
20th Feb 2007, 01:05
You have my web site address, join and post in the "Start Here" section and the info will be provided to you. I wont even know who you are. Please understand that if your focus is disruption I will Ban you, but if you honestly try to get along, your as Welcome as Anyone!

Will do, and if you think I'm here for disrupting you know me very badly... I respond when challenged that's all, but I'm not here to cause flames and I'm not looking for them either.