PDA

View Full Version : If all else is equal, will upgrading the RAM improve performance?

zwillyc
12th Feb 2007, 00:22
I have a laptop with:

1.83 GHz Dual Core
120 GB hard drive
1 GB DDR2 SODIMM RAM
GeForce 7300

The game runs fairly well but i'm just wondering if upgrading the RAM to 1.5 or 2 GB will make it better (since nothing else can be upgraded)?

Lord_Zath
12th Feb 2007, 03:57
I have a laptop with:

1.83 GHz Dual Core
120 GB hard drive
1 GB DDR2 SODIMM RAM
GeForce 7300

The game runs fairly well but i'm just wondering if upgrading the RAM to 1.5 or 2 GB will make it better (since nothing else can be upgraded)?

Upgrading RAM never hurts!

zwillyc
12th Feb 2007, 05:52
But how does it make my computer better, is what i'm trying to ask? In what aspects can I expect an improvement in performance?

EuT.be
12th Feb 2007, 10:02
Like Zath said, it never hurts and just give your system the abillity to run more applications or launch applications faster. Yet, some games appriciate the extra ram in your system but this doesnt count for BSM since, as I'm playing the game, doesnt notice a difference in RAM usage.

Ofcourse, your RAM usage depends on how you set your windows to use RAM and how to use the PageFile!

Rheinpfeil
12th Feb 2007, 12:49
Well, at the moment 1 GB RAM ist overall pretty much the new standard. There are actually some games out there, which see some performance gains when upgrading to 1,5 GB or even 2 GB. But personally I doubt that BS:M is one of these games. Since the handled data doesn't look that much. Try looking at your RAM usage while running the game.

Your real problem is your graphiccard. The 7300 is quite slow and bad performing. I guess if you want real performance enhancements, you have to get a new card... which of course is difficult running a notebook.

Tirpitz
25th Feb 2007, 19:27
I run the game with only 512 MB ram instead of (a desirable 1 GB) and the games runs REALLY GOOD except in multiplayer mode over the internet, but that could be because I customized the settings on/to the lowest quality with only a radeon 9200...

Remo
4th Mar 2007, 04:10
adding more ram will help, the memory usage with 1 gig usually hovers near 100% with this game,look at bf2, it has needed 2 gigs since day 1. so yes it will definately help.

Upgrading the video card is definately a consideration, but atm i would go for the ram because even a really good card like the x1950xx or the 7950xx is not direct X 10 functional so investing in a video card atm unless you absolutely have to is a waste of $$, by this summer there will be affordable dirX 10 cards out.