PDA

View Full Version : Configuring a Joystick for BSM?

see_rock_city
8th Feb 2007, 02:03
How do you manually configure a MS Sidewinder Joystick for flight control in Battlestations Midway or can you!? The Logitech profile does not work and every time I try to enter an axis it logs it as "slider." Mouse control for flight control is inadequate at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for assistance! :confused:

imnotcanadian
8th Feb 2007, 02:13
Make sure your slider (or throttle as I call it) is centered. If its not,this game picks it up like you are trying to assign that axis to the designated control. Hope this helps.

see_rock_city
8th Feb 2007, 02:41
Thanks imnotacanadian worked like a charm! And by the way there is nothing wrong with being a canadian?!?

imnotcanadian
8th Feb 2007, 03:26
Ok,awsome. Glad it worked

And I'm American,just wanted an orginal username,thats all.

Christiansaint
8th Feb 2007, 18:22
See Rocky City

Once you centered the throttle slider did the program accept the other assignments like the x & y axis for steering the plane.

When I assigned the throttle to the sidewinder slider the program defaulted all the controls to slider which of course was useless.

Any idea on how to reverse the mouse?

imnotcanadian
8th Feb 2007, 21:33
Not sure...just surf through the control settings,I think there is an 'invert mouse' capability...or you might just have to set it like you would a joystick...if it lets you.

After you set your slider to throttle,be sure its centered again so it doesn't interfere with you adjusting the other controls.

see_rock_city
9th Feb 2007, 00:19
Just kidding! imnotcanadian is right just make sure you keep centering the throttle/slider and you should be able to enter all the axises (sp?).

Frey
9th Feb 2007, 21:56
How do you manually configure a MS Sidewinder Joystick for flight control in Battlestations Midway or can you!? The Logitech profile does not work and every time I try to enter an axis it logs it as "slider." Mouse control for flight control is inadequate at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for assistance! :confused:

Setting Sidewinder joystick:

NOTE: Bind all controls in the alternate (right side column of settings) so there are no conflicts with existing keyboard bindings.

1. Set the slider throttle to throttle on plane FIRST. After binding, set it to midway.

2. Hold joystick in direction you wish to have bound. THEN select the appropriate control binding with the mouse, for instance back on joystick for pull up. It will then bind. Repeat with other controls.

3. Do the same thing with buttons: For instance, for firing weapon - hold down trigger button on joystick, then with the mouse select 'use weapon'. Should bind.

This method works for me and my gaming buddies. Good luck!

Cindigirl
11th Feb 2007, 05:07
Hmmmm that sounded a bit too dirty....ah well never mind.

Hi...just bought the game, real fun so far, but the flying is a pain.
Is there a way to make a config file for my joystick?
I have Logitech Wingman Extreme.

Help here please.

Christiansaint
12th Feb 2007, 14:47
Thanks Guys,

worked like a treat

issac_brock
18th Feb 2007, 17:23
I have a Ligitech Freedom 2.4 joystick, I tried mapping the slider as suggested however that shows a Z-+ mapping which is the twist (z axis) of this joystick. Everthing I try to map shows as a Z-+ mapping. Perhaps this joystick simply won't work in this game? Seems odd that such a common tool can't be used. Any thoughts? I have Calibrated it throught the control panel as well. No Luck...

Thanks,

CC

P.S.
Oh ya, I am Canadian!

jwhal
19th Feb 2007, 23:18
If your joystick is older maybe a little worn its axis may be active and putting out a signal.This seems to be a very sensitve mapper and picks up the slightest signal from other axis then what your trying to set try the method in the post above about holding the axis then clicking to set might help.

issac_brock
20th Feb 2007, 03:16
Yeah, I tried that but with no luck. It is very sensitive all right! I downloaded and installed the latest driver for xp and now instead of Z-+ it shows "throttle +-". This at least makes sense unlike the logitech extreme 3d pro mappings which are messed. If I try them, rudder left and right maps as throttle +-.

I'm sure the throttle is centered as I can map keys after mapping the throttle but If I try the stick it always points to throttle. If I move the throttle and try to map a key it maps as throttle. So again it is centred. If I try to move the stick then map it, no luck. I'll keep trying but I think I'll end up buying a new stick.

CC

issac_brock
21st Feb 2007, 02:45
Never mine boys and girls....I just purchased a Logitech Force 3D Pro for $99.00 CDN at Future Shop and it works fine with the preset Logitech Joystick config. Too bad, I really liked my freedom for lack of cords, now this has 2 (usb and power) ahh well...pushing 39 yrs now, many joysticks behnd me, should write a book or something..LOL :whistle:

Schultz-[AU]
23rd Feb 2007, 23:53
I am also wondering how to set up my Saitek X52 joystick.
The game does not see any input from it whatsoever on the x,y& z axis's.
I can only get it to detect button settings. Help!

Utah
2nd Apr 2007, 01:36
Thanks guys:D ...this thread was a God-sent to solving my problem with a MS sidewinder JS...:)

hogg
9th Jun 2007, 00:47
That must be the stupidest, most hidden, most non-intuitive way of getting a joystick to work with a game that I have ever seen.

But the above advice worked.

Thanks, guys! What a difference it makes flying with a joystick!!!!

;)

sona1111
6th Feb 2008, 18:58
;621514']I am also wondering how to set up my Saitek X52 joystick.
The game does not see any input from it whatsoever on the x,y& z axis's.
I can only get it to detect button settings. Help!

sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i am having the same problem with my X52. it will not dectect any axis controls whatsoever. please help.

Arrow
20th Feb 2008, 13:59
sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i am having the same problem with my X52. it will not dectect any axis controls whatsoever. please help.

My only real advice would be to check the connection. I have a Microsoft SideWinder that works just fine.