PDA

View Full Version : Classic TR Easter Egg

Cyber Mantis
7th Feb 2007, 21:32
I wanted to know what everyone thinks of the entire TR Classic (ps1) game being a unlockable bonus in Anniversary? Along the lines of what other games like Panzer Dragoon Orta which included a port of the orginal Panzer Dragoon as a unlockable bonus.

I could be wrong but I think the orginal TR comes in at about 20 MB. So it wouldnt be that hard to do infact I dont even think it would have to be ported since PS1 games run on PS2 already.

A Anniversary game should have some really cool unlockables and extras. In my opinion that would be one of the coolest extras they could include.

Slim Vision
7th Feb 2007, 23:24
I could be wrong but I think the orginal TR comes in at about 20 MB.

Yea, if you don't count the 300MB of music and movie files.

Cyber Mantis
8th Feb 2007, 22:04
Yea, if you don't count the 300MB of music and movie files.

Where did you come up with that number? I find that alittle steep when the complete TR3 comes in at 202Mb with full levels comming in at 13Mb

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr3/demo.html

and the TR1 demo which is single TR1 level comes in a whopping 2.06 MB with music and everything.

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/13

Whatever the total size with disc like DVD-9 (8.5 GB Dual-Layer) *which Xenosaga 8.05GB used* its hardly a issue. Even Panzer dragoon Orta a XBOX game not using dual layer, easily contained a port of a full saturn game, which was a system TR ran fine on.

Treeble
8th Feb 2007, 22:54
It depends on which version you're talking about, but the PC version of TR1 is much more than 20mb (that'd be the levels alone). I just checked and the CD holds 180mb of info among engine, sounds/music, levels and whatnot.

But also to be kept in mind is that the PC version only featured ambient background music, unlike the Saturn and PlayStation counterparts.

I suppose it'd be a great extra, yes, BUT since the original is not a Crystal Dynamics game, I doubt it'd be featured.

pinkangel07
9th Feb 2007, 00:40
I'd love to have the oringinal Tomb Raider game featured. Considering I lost the PC version my friend gave me recently (darn!) Other than that I've only borrowed the game, because I started playing TR3, then went backwards, and you couldn't rent it anymore. (i'm one of those people who only rent games... still haven't bought legend :()

I don't know a lot about copyright ownership and what not, but doesn't Eidos own all of the old Tomb Raider games? Or does Core still practice ownership over them? If not, then I think it will definately be an unlockable. If so, perhaps Eidos&Crystal Dynamics and Core could come to some sort of agreement to feature the game...?

Cyber Mantis
9th Feb 2007, 04:15
It depends on which version you're talking about, but the PC version of TR1 is much more than 20mb (that'd be the levels alone). I just checked and the CD holds 180mb of info among engine, sounds/music, levels and whatnot.

But also to be kept in mind is that the PC version only featured ambient background music, unlike the Saturn and PlayStation counterparts.

Yeah I wasnt sure about 20 MB dont know where I got that number from, think I was looking at system req. for TR1 PC - 180 MB sounds more like it. Thanks for the info.

You also raised a interesting point about the rights to the orginal game and one I didnt consider.

Slim Vision
10th Feb 2007, 12:25
Where did you come up with that number? I find that alittle steep when the complete TR3 comes in at 202Mb with full levels comming in at 13Mb

I don't know why they differ so radically. I was referring to the Mac version, although I thought they were direct PC ports. If what TREEBLE says about the PC version not having the same amount of content as the PlayStation games is correct however then that obviously means the Mac versions are PlayStation ports, hence the bigger file sizes.

Anyway, yes, whatever the size it's not going to be a space hog to include it with the Anniversary game.Though I don't see why they would include it, even as a secret. They're obviously aiming this game at a new generation of graphic whore kiddies who never played the original and only know the delights of Angel of Darkness or Legend. Such people won't care about the old original if they have a new remake to play, so why bother to include it.

aussie500
10th Feb 2007, 13:44
l think it would be a waste of valuable space, if people were interested they would either already have the original or would buy it, it is still available and not that expensive

Cyber Mantis
10th Feb 2007, 17:15
They're obviously aiming this game at a new generation of graphic whore kiddies who never played the original and only know the delights of Angel of Darkness or Legend. Such people won't care about the old original if they have a new remake to play, so why bother to include it.

I guess I can see your point there.

Im a sucker for such throw back extras I shelled out a extra $10 for MK Armageddon to get the "Premium Edition" for the near arcade-perfect version MK III it included.

I played that extra quite a bit too

mrcube
10th Feb 2007, 18:33
One thing that occurs to me is that if they were to include the original as an easter egg (which, while I already own it, would still be a nice thing) then they would need to do some work on the PC version.

Although we might be able to get the game running on Windows XP, that only because dedicated fans have spent hours on end figuring it out, and although the outcome is great, Eidos and Crystal wouldn't be able to include this, they'd have to create their own emulation software to get the game running on XP, and it would be nice to see them get it going on Vista as well, TR1 really won't run on that.