PDA

View Full Version : Question before buying

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.
7th Feb 2007, 20:59
why do the screenshots of the game on the main site look 21st century graphics,
yet the player screenshots i see here look like they are from a bbc micro game of the 80`s ?

plus,is the demo single player ?
or do i have to go into the hell of gamespy to test the game ?

OldGeezer
7th Feb 2007, 21:06
I dunno about the screenies....They look the same on my computer as they did on the net. Then again, people with low-end to midrange machines have to dial the settings down, so that could be it.

Yes, Gamespy is involved, but if you have problems, they are easily solved. With a good bunch of people (team-players) on voice-chat, the game is a hoot to play online.

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.
7th Feb 2007, 21:11
I dunno about the screenies....They look the same on my computer as they did on the net. Then again, people with low-end to midrange machines have to dial the settings down, so that could be it.

Yes, Gamespy is involved, but if you have problems, they are easily solved. With a good bunch of people (team-players) on voice-chat, the game is a hoot to play online.

damn,my ISP has stopped all access to games sites like gamespy,so thats me boggered then.
a pox on tiscali.

FusionC5
7th Feb 2007, 21:15
"damn,my ISP has stopped all access to games sites like gamespy"

WTF? Are you on a university or school connection or something? If you are on a home ISP then that is disgraceful..

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.
7th Feb 2007, 21:22
"damn,my ISP has stopped all access to games sites like gamespy"

WTF? Are you on a university or school connection or something? If you are on a home ISP then that is disgraceful..

home user,
isnt just game sites,
poker/gambling,
youtube like sites,...
in fact anything but email and google.
seems they needed the bandwidth to sell more people since oct/nov 06.

FusionC5
7th Feb 2007, 21:29
home user,
isnt just game sites,
poker/gambling,
youtube like sites,...
in fact anything but email and google.
seems they needed the bandwidth to sell more people since oct/nov 06.

What ISP is that? how much does it cost monthly? they would have to pay me £30 a month to use that peice of ****e.

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.
7th Feb 2007, 21:35
What ISP is that? how much does it cost monthly? they would have to pay me £30 a month to use that peice of ****e.

tiscali..£14.99 a month

just check thier BB discussion forum,its all out war....... ROFL

FusionC5
7th Feb 2007, 23:22
tiscali..£14.99 a month

just check thier BB discussion forum,its all out war....... ROFL

lol, why are you still on tiscali then? I wouldn't stand for that filtering bull****, I'd be straight on the phone to another ISP, like blueyonder :P

I checked out their forums with a bit of scepticism about not being able to access certain sites, but wow, it seems they really are taking the piss. No gaming between 1800 to 2300? lol what a joke. It also looks like they give you a FUP if you download between those times, I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating that must be :|

chip5541
7th Feb 2007, 23:56
I hope this is seriously a very small company. I couldnt imagine a comapny with any subscriber numbers to be having those types of restrictions.

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.
8th Feb 2007, 00:24
lol, why are you still on tiscali then? I wouldn't stand for that filtering bull****, I'd be straight on the phone to another ISP, like blueyonder :P

I checked out their forums with a bit of scepticism about not being able to access certain sites, but wow, it seems they really are taking the piss. No gaming between 1800 to 2300? lol what a joke. It also looks like they give you a FUP if you download between those times, I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating that must be :|

they have people by the short and curlies with a 12 month contract and a credit ruining threat.
plus getting a MAC is somewhat like finding a french military victory on google search.

but the FUP seems to be a way out,as after 3 you can migrate with no extra charges or contract woes.
downloaded 7 gig of huge demos since 6pm so far...[though its taken a week or 2]
awaiting my "get out of jail free card"

i did manage to get a months gameplay from guild wars before tiscali oversold and the brakes came on.
but after seeing this game,i am chewing on the chains.

ravem
8th Feb 2007, 01:34
why do the screenshots of the game on the main site look 21st century graphics,
yet the player screenshots i see here look like they are from a bbc micro game of the 80`s ?

plus,is the demo single player ?
or do i have to go into the hell of gamespy to test the game ?

The graphics are OK, but not top of the line, and yes you do have to go through hell with Gamespy.

FusionC5
8th Feb 2007, 01:39
I hope this is seriously a very small company. I couldnt imagine a comapny with any subscriber numbers to be having those types of restrictions.

Actually, it's not a small company, although it's not a company I would go for, even without knowing about their stupid restrictions.

Yeah I read about the three strikes and you're out FUP thing. Nice loophole :P I think if I were on that ISP I'd have about 1000 FUPS already, because I download over 50GB per week :/

OperationPhoenix
8th Feb 2007, 03:08
Actually,when I record a game or take screen shots,I have to lower the res of them somewhat which is why they distort..for instance the original file that I made of the destroyer going in land was over 198 MB alone..I had to really reduce the quality in order to host it on my comast storage..so from 198 megs to 18 megs,yeah your going to get some pixelation..Same goes with the screenshots.

imnotcanadian
8th Feb 2007, 03:42
For screen shots I hit the "print screen sys rq" button...then paste it into paint. I've never had to change a screenie's resolution when I've done this.

MixedupJim
8th Feb 2007, 14:02
Um, I'm on tiscali and i have no problems playing battlestations on gamespy...??

cr8z
11th Feb 2007, 00:24
I never you knew you had to go to gamespy. I just logged in on the ingame server menu.
Is that what you all mean?
Are you talking about the demo version?

I had the demo, but uninstalled it. I couldn't play a game and it was driving me crazy. I thought about buying the game, but the demo was so bad (couldn't play) that I thought better of it.

Let me know if you guys know what I'm talking about.

cr8z
11th Feb 2007, 00:25
I never you knew you had to go to gamespy. I just logged in on the ingame server menu.

I had the demo, but uninstalled it. I couldn't play a game and it was driving me crazy. I thought about buying the game, but the demo was so bad (couldn't play) that I thought better of it.

Let me know if you guys know what I'm talking about, or think that I should go get it.

Cpt.sharp
11th Feb 2007, 09:30

Let me know if you guys know what I'm talking about, or think that I should go get it.

some people had this problem and i think most now have got around it. The problem seems to be gamespy. What you may have to do is download the free ver of gamespy onto your machine. You will also need to make a new Gamespy log in if your one does not work. Try this with the demo. if you can make it work on the demo you will fly though the Retail ver.

Need any help just come back here and we will see what we can do.

david72
11th Feb 2007, 13:30
some people had this problem and i think most now have got around it. The problem seems to be gamespy. What you may have to do is download the free ver of gamespy onto your machine. You will also need to make a new Gamespy log in if your one does not work. Try this with the demo. if you can make it work on the demo you will fly though the Retail ver.

Need any help just come back here and we will see what we can do.

Even with the free gamespy installed and account verified i was only online for about 1 min when i lost the connection and i couldn't get my internet connection back until i had restarted my pc, i am not that pc savy when it comes to opening ports on my modem (BT hub) so i guess i will have to await the patch.