PDA

View Full Version : Don't Laugh - Newbie Stuck in Bolivia

missilu
7th Feb 2007, 20:18
I'm near the top of the mountain in a crevas with a water fall and a long branch sticking out the side of the rock. I jump on the branch and swing myself around and that's as far as I can get. There was a second branch that I was able to jump onto but that fell down. When I tried to swing on the second branch, the camera angle gets all screwed up and the view is somewhere in the sky. By the time I try and move the camera angle back to the mountain, Lara is on the ground with her guns drawn and the second branch is gone. :eek:

rabid metro
8th Feb 2007, 02:02
... urm, i can't tell where you are ...

did a boulder just roll past you?

have you seen anyone else in this area?

missilu
9th Feb 2007, 00:49
Yes, a huge bolder rolls by. After it rolls by, you can enter in the crevas and there you will find the branches. The first branch extends the length of the rock wall and the second branch extends half the length of the wall. You have to swing around on the first branch to get onto the second. Once you hit the "X" button to make the jump onto the second branch, the camera angle switches and you can't see what you're doing. Do you think there may be something wrong with the PS2 game? :scratch:

missilu
9th Feb 2007, 01:14
Yes, a huge bolder rolls by. After it rolls by, you can enter in the crevas and there you will find the branches. The first branch extends the length of the rock wall and the second branch extends half the length of the wall. You have to swing around on the first branch to get onto the second. Once you hit the "X" button to make the jump onto the second branch, the camera angle switches and you can't see what you're doing. Do you think there may be something wrong with the PS2 game? :scratch:

aussie500
9th Feb 2007, 01:55
Have not played for ages, and not absolutely sure if l am thinking of the right area. You have to weigh the other end of the tree trunk down so the half branch will stay up, if you look up on the structure near the other end of the tree trunk you will see a rock Lara can push of to do the job. All you have to do is work out how to get up there and push it off ;)

rabid metro
9th Feb 2007, 03:52
aussie: at first, i was confused just like you. that's why i asked ...

missilu, if there's no one else around then you are really very close to the beginning. i don't understand what is happening with the camera angle on your game, tho. i've played through the entire game on PS2 ...

from memory ...
you have to angle your jump just right (i.e. slightly to the left) in order to swing from the first branch on the rock to the second branch in the wall.

from there you have to swing to the waterfall and you should be able to orient the camera any way you please during that time. from there, the path will be obvious ...

are your options up to snuff? ... or is it possible that you are smudging a button during this sequence, or something???

They say that many people think that Lara is in a league of her own!
They say that there is no crying in tomb raider ... :whistle:

aussie500
10th Feb 2007, 03:23
Damn, yep l was confused, l have not played it for about 4 months, PC l play on is away being fixed and a friend has borrowed my XBox version. Just jump to the first branch from the raised rock, shimmy to the left and then jump to the branch. Then jump to the wall, you will need to side jump across the waterfall to the other side where the cutscene will start. At no point here should you need to move the camera it will stay zoomed out so you can see where Lara needs to go, also l would say if the branch on the wall is vanishing there is something seriously wrong with your game l do not remember it being a timed jump, of course l only ever swung Lara around once so it could have been. My advice is to stop playing with the camera, it is not necessary

missilu
12th Feb 2007, 01:19
Ok, so I'm at wits end. I'm really starting to think that the game is the problem. I even switched controllers to see if it would work better. I see the a ledge near the waterfall that I can jump on but it's the camera angle that's holding me back. As soon as I jump on to the second branch(at this point, I'm not even touching the angle), the screen goes off into the sky. All I see is blue clouds, and mountain in the distance. It won't zoom back to Lara I choose her binoculars. The most frustrating of all is the second branch falls down once you jump onto it, so I have to restart the game and try again :mad2:

Is there a way to turn off the camera options. Currently I have them all at "NO" for all axis. Is there a better setting?

aussie500
12th Feb 2007, 04:38
For the camera to change to that angle you must be moving the camera, and you cannot use the binoculars while Lara is swinging from a tree branch. The branch would only fall down if you swung on it to long. You jump to the first shimmy along so you are lined up with the second and the left side of the waterfall. Swing, jump keeping the forward button pressed, jump to the rock wall shimmy to the edge and side jump across to the other side. There is nothing difficult about this, you need to set your camera setting back to what it usually is or invert the axis and stop playing with the view when jumping

rabid metro
12th Feb 2007, 04:49
... urm, there is a very nice forum member by the name of lunideth who, i think, could easily make an introductory video that shows what to do from the time that first boulder rolls past till you get to the waterfall.

i'm suggesting this because i want you to be certain that you are following the correct path. i say this because, in my memory, the second branch doesn't break. you should be able to hang on that branch indefinitely or, at least, i don't remember it being an issue.

BTW, the camera will act strange when lara is in a tight space where the camera can't manuever naturally. your "breaking branch" and "strange camera" makes me think that you are not on the right path.

this introductory sequence should only be mildly challenging since the purpose of the sequence is to familiarize you with the controls. i doubt that your PS2 game is corrupted although that is remotely possible ...

where is lunideth when you need a lunideth? anyone???

missilu
13th Feb 2007, 00:15
I agree, the game should not be this difficult especially so close to the begining, in "easy" mode. I'm convinced it's the game, as I bought it used from the video store. I have tried this over and over again without any luck. Also I wanted to mention, that the game will not allow me to shimmy along the first branch. As soon as I jump on the branch, it doesn't matter if I'm closer to the right or the left, it always brings me back to the left wall of the cave. There is no where for me to go. It seems that I have tried everything!:nut: I can say with certainty that I am not touching the camera angles, the camera has a mind of it's own as soon as I jump onto the second branch. I have even tried it blind, as soon as she touches the second branch and the camera goes off, I've tried to jump right away. Nothing, except sky. Valentine's day is coming up, I will ask my husband for a "NEW" TR game (He feels my pain, cause he as to watch me play and get frustrated:p )

rabid metro
13th Feb 2007, 00:27
missilu,

try this link:

http://www.laracroftonline.com/walkthroughs/video/legend/bolivia.html

there's a video there (the very first video) that shows the progress of the game from the beginning to the place where you are apparently stuck.

your game should look like this ...

Astara
15th Feb 2007, 02:50
I agree, the game should not be this difficult especially so close to the begining, in "easy" mode.

Yeah, when I started the game I thought the same. After enough practice you realize the whole thing is too easy. There doesn't seem to be a wide enough range of difficulty or AI to please everyone all of the time. :-)

the game will not allow me to shimmy along the first branch. As soon as I jump on the branch, it doesn't matter if I'm closer to the right or the left, it always brings me back to the left wall of the cave.

This confuses me -- the only cave I can find is before you get up to the boulder that roles down on top of Lara and can kill her (unless you stay out of the way).

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems there's a vine hanging down that you swing off of in front of the waterfall. You can use it to swing through the waterfall. From there you continue through the cave and come out the the other side -- you can then shimmy around the outside of what was the cave to eventually be standing up on top of the waterfall and look back toward the valley. Also, if you leap off the waterfall, you have to go a long way around to get back up. Once you are at the top of that waterfall, you head up stream -- it's then that this GIANT boulder comes down toward Lara -- If you stay to the right, in the right place, it can go past you. Also, if you look through your binoculars at the boulder, it will indicate that it is unstable -- you can use the precise shooting mode to shoot at the boulder/twigs and that will also cause it to start coming down where it falls over the waterfall.

Is that the boulder you have gotten past (It's as tall or more than Lara).
I don't know of a cave past that point.

After you get past the boulder there is a rock in the stream to the right that you can use to jump up to a branch that goes across the stream.
From there, while hanging on the branch, turn left and go forward -- lara will swing hand-over-hand along the branch about 4-6 feet (1-2meters) -- then you turn to face upstream again and you should see a short branch ahead of you sticking out from the left bank. If you start swinging on the current branch, you can press jump to jump to the 2nd branch. From the 2nd branch, you can jump to the left side of a small (~8ft/2.5 meters) waterfall. From there you jump to the right side of the waterfall and when you stabilize, it starts into a cutscene where a merc is talking about looking for you...

I never have to touch the camera angle, but I'm using a gamepad -- I believe I do use the camera angle feature w/o a gamepad on the PC because it's easier to steer by pointing forward/moving and just adjusting the view with the mouse.

So did I explain anything helpful? Are we talking about the same thing yet?

A*a

BassViper
19th Feb 2007, 18:34
I actually like the sort of deceptive diversions in this game. I've found that MANY time in it you get what appears to be the most obvious and logical solution to the problem when an even better one is just an eyeshot away.

The Bolivia scenario described above is a fine example. I struggled with the tree for hours only to discover that there is a solution that doesn't even involve the tree at all. It's sort of a tempting diversion to solve the balance puzzle when in the end it's not required to proceed.

TRL is actually full of this stuff and I think THAT's what makes the game truly terrific.

MANY say it's easy. Well, yeah. On some conceptual levels it is. But I think it's actually very clever in the way that it has the ability to seduce you into an easy solution when other options are also provided all around you in the tight situations.

You can play it easy and if you're a cynic get bored, but if you really want to get into it, it can indeed be quite difficult.

I'm not a speed runner which is what the players who go for easy are about.

I'm an explorer and I dare say that by the time you get to the expert level of play on TRL you will find many things you never even saw your first two times around.

missilu
20th Feb 2007, 00:09
After you get past the boulder there is a rock in the stream to the right that you can use to jump up to a branch that goes across the stream.
From there, while hanging on the branch, turn left and go forward -- lara will swing hand-over-hand along the branch about 4-6 feet (1-2meters) -- then you turn to face upstream again and you should see a short branch ahead of you sticking out from the left bank. If you start swinging on the current branch, you can press jump to jump to the 2nd branch. From the 2nd branch, you can jump to the left side of a small (~8ft/2.5 meters) waterfall. From there you jump to the right side of the waterfall and when you stabilize, it starts into a cutscene where a merc is talking about looking for you...
A*a

Astara, the problem is not getting past this point of the game, it's a glitch in the graphics. Once I jump up to the the first branch and begin to swing, the screen moves in and out as Lara is moving around the branch in a circle. It almost looks like the screen is skipping back and forth. As soon as I jump to the second branch, the screen shoots off to somewhere in the sky. All I see on my TV screen is clouds and a mountain. The only thing I can do next is, quit the game. I've returned the game (I bought it used from a video store) and I'm going to buy a brand new version for my PS2. Hopefully then I will finally be able to get past the first level. If the new game gives me the same problem, I'm going to cry because I don't want to have to buy a new PS2::nut:

Astara
20th Feb 2007, 23:37
Astara, the problem is not getting past this point of the game, it's a glitch in the graphics. Once I jump up to the the first branch and begin to swing, the screen moves in and out as Lara is moving around the branch in a circle. It almost looks like the screen is skipping back and forth. As soon as I jump to the second branch, the screen shoots off to somewhere in the sky. All I see on my TV screen is clouds and a mountain. The only thing I can do next is, quit the game. I've returned the game (I bought it used from a video store) and I'm going to buy a brand new version for my PS2. Hopefully then I will finally be able to get past the first level. If the new game gives me the same problem, I'm going to cry because I don't want to have to buy a new PS2::nut:
----
Erg....Usually on PC's, if it's a bug in the game media vs. the game it's pretty obvious -- the CD/DVD grinds, grunts, error messages spit out...lots of fun. I have no experience with game consoles, do harder to relate to. Not being able to tell if something is a game "bug"/"feature" vs. a corrupted media would be new level of pain.

Don't game consoles do some sort of crc checksumming of the game contents? (mostly a rhetorical question, since one of the things proprietary game console manufacturer's keep secret might be how they deal with media errors). PS2 -- that's from Sony eh? In CD-audio, it is common for media errors to be "glossed over" -- one or two corrupted blocks on a CD that's just playing music wouldn't be audible in many cases -- the player just skips the bad blocks and generates it's own continuity from the previous good blocks to the next good blocks. But maybe because it's a Sony -- they come from the "gloss over" background -- they bring that ideology into their game console replay.
Unfortunately, it's true with lots of software companies these days -- if there is an error that the customer just lives with, then it's not worth fixing. Only errors that cause companies headaches -- lots of returns or lots of support calls are guaranteed to get attention. So Sony probably hopes that if an error happens during game reading, maybe it won't sufficiently affect game play to make a user unhappy and return the product. In isolated cases, they are wrong and the end-retailer might end up handling the return out of their profits vs. trying to return small numbers to the manufacturer.

Very sorry your version was "poop-y". The game is hard enough to get started on without having problems like you've experienced.

Good luck in getting a working version...
A*a