PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts - Legend. (PC USER - GAMEPAD)

chipfryer
7th Feb 2007, 20:02
Legend. (PC USER - GAMEPAD)
OK. Here's what I think and from a standpoint of someone like everyone else who has played this game thinks.

Fantastic scenery and interaction. Truly!

At first I loved it. Everything was in it's place and seemed to work fine. Then I got to Ghana where things went horribly wrong. There was no Grenade launcher pickup but that does not really matter. What does is that if this level is where Eidos are going with it? Will not work. Controls in this part are clumsy to say the least with camera angles. Its impossible to see what you are doing and where your enemy is?

It simply doesn't matter what you do (Some will say I did this in 1 minute) He's almost impossible to kill and reloading after spending ages to get to a safe point (Under the ledge he's on) he just keeps coming at you. This to mind is more like thuggery than game play. If you want violence walk out on the street, or go watch "The chain saw massacre" this has nothing to do with Tomb Raider. Boss levels have been emphasized to a point that you know now that something that will be hard to beat, but nearly unbeatable is NOT an option in a game. Last revelation was extremely hard but for different reasons.

I hate not being able to save right before I made an adjustment or deployed a new strategy after losing again. After all and again this is a game! Last revelation drove me nuts but I'm seriously thinking of playing it again because you had the time to work things out, (Sometimes).

I am having to download a save game now to continue after not killing the shouting smarmy thug called Rutland. It's ruined what could have been a very good game for me at least. The Boss in the Opera theatre had more demise and cunning than this evil person and that was hard too.

If the Idea is to make someone reload and replay more than to provide a gameplay where a user can get involved it will not last much longer. It's great if your training to become a pilot or something but if aint got the tools you aint got a game. In short bosses are not the game. The Game is the game.

Fantastic work really I did not expect what I found.

More puzzles too please :)

rabid metro
8th Feb 2007, 02:47
... in a way, Rutland is a puzzle too ...

... just when you start to hurt him, he flies off and heals ...

sigh ...
i suppose things would be easier if you could save right before a boss battle. this is a common feature of many great games. it would let you hone your boss strategies, and besides sometimes you just want to save your progress and attend to other matters for a minute ...

here's my question:
how much do you enjoy the game, if you know you can't figure out the bosses by yourself?
i suppose you could always come back and beat rutland later, after you satisfy your curiousity, since you haven't asked for spoilers ...

perhaps you need a fresh set of eyes (that's not a slam).
seriously, if you can afford the luxury of playing the game with others, they often see things that you might miss, or they have crazy ideas, stuff like that ...

They say that sometimes you have to fight fire with water ... :whistle:
Thay say that Lara would never try to KILL her shadow.

chipfryer
8th Feb 2007, 10:52
Immensely which is why I get distraught when I come across something like this. Don't get me wrong I don't think it should easy there would be no point at all in playing it. I absolutely agree too, fresh eyes were what I tackled this venture from again yesterday after covering 3.99 levels in a relatively short time. I think the problem lies with camera angles at least for me.

The problem goes further having to switch to the keyboard for Medipacks and in this case your view is taken from the fight when attempting this. I know a lot of folks will say why don't you use a console when you clearly prefer that method perhaps? But my argument here is that I refuse to buy a new console every time Sony, Xbox and a host of others decide to charge the Earth for a new console with a limited game choice and not make older games playable on new machines either.

I come from a programming background mainly on the Web through Flash, Perl, CSS, JavaScript, php and even run my own server and so on. It's critical that I make folks aware of what is needed and in many cases in Legend this has been catered for. Although I think the arrows and pointers take a little of the personal value from the game. I note that you mention get together with people and find out what to do? Yes this would be a great idea if I knew of anyone currently playing, which I don't unfortunately. The fact is I hate cheating the game and in this new version that has been taken away unless you complete the game and or trials none of which I have taken. I suspect this is how many of the "I did it in 30 seconds" have been achieved? :rolleyes:

My system is top spec hand built good stuff but I experience slow downs with Rutland and in some other places too which compounds the problem but only slightly. It may be too that this cronky old game pad may be headed for the bin and a replacement will hone my skills? I certainly hope so because I scrapped AOD after nearly completing it after a period of timed jumps drove me totally nuts. I'll go back to that and get it as I will this and win. But I think the effort required will make one middle aged tomby go gray before his time. :mad2:

Many thanks for cordially replying. :D

[QUOTE=rabid metro;617576]... in a way, Rutland is a puzzle too ...
here's my question:
how much do you enjoy the game, if you know you can't figure out the bosses by yourself?
i suppose you could always come back and beat rutland later, after you satisfy your curiousity, since you haven't asked for spoilers ...

perhaps you need a fresh set of eyes (that's not a slam).
seriously, if you can afford the luxury of playing the game with others, they often see things that you might miss, or they have crazy ideas, stuff like that ...
QUOTE]

aussie500
9th Feb 2007, 02:14
Legend. (PC USER - GAMEPAD)
What does is that if this level is where Eidos are going with it? Will not work. Controls in this part are clumsy to say the least with camera angles. Its impossible to see what you are doing and where your enemy is?

It simply doesn't matter what you do (Some will say I did this in 1 minute) He's almost impossible to kill and reloading after spending ages to get to a safe point (Under the ledge he's on) he just keeps coming at you.

l never had trouble with the controls so l am not sure what you mean there, hardly ever needed to change the camera angle unless in manual aim mode. And why are you wasting time trying to find "a safe point" you will never defeat him hiding from him. While he is on the platform recharging you are meant to be ensuring he cannot use the platform to do that again. Look around more, there are plenty of onscreen prompts if you are looking at the right thing. You do not even have to destroy the platforms to defeat Rutland if you are quick enough. There is no point blaming the game because you were not up to the challenge chipfryer, Legend was very easy compared to Tomb Raider 4 so if you finished that you should have had no trouble with Legend, you simply needed to step back and think what you were doing wrong ie: Do not hide, attack!
We all wish we could do it this fast of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOTdiIxV98I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQpGmQSg0mw

chipfryer
9th Feb 2007, 10:48
Actually there is a point in the game where Rutland jumps up and if you stand beneath he forgets you are there. From here you are able to shoot out all crystals and pull down the platforms without getting hurt.

Other games had spots like this as you will know?? What are you using to play the game please?

l never had trouble with the controls so l am not sure what you mean there, hardly ever needed to change the camera angle unless in manual aim mode. And why are you wasting time trying to find "a safe point" you will never defeat him hiding from him. While he is on the platform recharging you are meant to be ensuring he cannot use the platform to do that again. Look around more, there are plenty of onscreen prompts if you are looking at the right thing. You do not even have to destroy the platforms to defeat Rutland if you are quick enough. There is no point blaming the game because you were not up to the challenge chipfryer, Legend was very easy compared to Tomb Raider 4 so if you finished that you should have had no trouble with Legend, you simply needed to step back and think what you were doing wrong ie: Do not hide, attack!
We all wish we could do it this fast of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOTdiIxV98I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQpGmQSg0mw

aussie500
9th Feb 2007, 12:53
l played it initially on XBox and PS2, then borrowed a PC version, l used a gamepad for the first run through, then the keyboard and mouse for the second run through. l am not a fps player though, and would have buckleys chance of doing the time trails with keyboard and mouse. Went back to using the gamepad. My time for Ghana was slightly under 5 minutes using the waterfall shortcut :D When l eventually play Legend again though l will try out the above shortcut, it certainly seems much easier than going through the waterfall was. l could knock out all the platforms and kill Rutland pretty quick without using grenades and taking very little damage. l cannot remember where the checkpoint was for the boss battle in Ghana, but l am sure it would not have been that far. l only managed to get Lara killed the first few times on the XBox and that was because l was concentrating on Rutland rather than paying attention to the button prompts, l quickly realised just fighting him was not going to win the battle and looked around a bit more

chipfryer
11th Feb 2007, 17:02
:mad2:

Ok it was so easy in the end! I hadn't changed my toggle effect :eek:
I think this is why I for one have been having problems?
Rutland has gone and I had fun in the compound, now on the bike.

I do miss Lara's inventory wheel allowing you to keep stock and have plenty of pick ups thoughout the game however. It also inspires you to search a little more too. I think it was T3 or 2 where the inventory wheel and the calming music came through in a big way.

Back to thoroughly enjoying it again. :D

l played it initially on XBox and PS2, then borrowed a PC version, l used a gamepad for the first run through, then the keyboard and mouse for the second run through. l am not a fps player though, and would have buckleys chance of doing the time trails with keyboard and mouse. Went back to using the gamepad. My time for Ghana was slightly under 5 minutes using the waterfall shortcut :D When l eventually play Legend again though l will try out the above shortcut, it certainly seems much easier than going through the waterfall was. l could knock out all the platforms and kill Rutland pretty quick without using grenades and taking very little damage. l cannot remember where the checkpoint was for the boss battle in Ghana, but l am sure it would not have been that far. l only managed to get Lara killed the first few times on the XBox and that was because l was concentrating on Rutland rather than paying attention to the button prompts, l quickly realised just fighting him was not going to win the battle and looked around a bit more

BassViper
12th Feb 2007, 15:17
Yeah Rutland turns out to be not all that hard. You run first under the first ledge he's on, grapple all ledge buttons to pull them down, then he's easy to take out with just pistols. If he has no ledges, he has no place to heal.

chipfryer
16th Feb 2007, 20:25
It's becoming painfully clear that I hate bosses. I think we all do but in this case the Entity is very frustrating. Unlike many other TR games the point is not very clear and if were not for walkthroughs and other people telling you I would have spent a very long frustrating time working these out.

I think that if you complete something it should be made very clear that you did that so you can move on. Every other part of this game is very REAL fun. Bosses? Ner. Are all boss levels in TR7 in a circular chamber?
Not knocking the game I'm enjoying it but for me at least I would like to know I'd completed something.

aussie500
16th Feb 2007, 21:39
Well l had a great time trying to kill Amandas pet of in Katakhstan, however after about 15 minutes of trying and settling on repeling him into the electric fields till he vanished l did work out that l was not going about it the right way. l had thrown him at everything l could and he still kept coming back. That was when l finally looked around and noticed the switches. When l pulled the first l was actually for almost the first time paying attention to what Zip was saying, l had become so used to the annoying background noise that previously l had simply tuned out anything he said. :lol:
Well you know you have completed it when you go to the next level

chipfryer
16th Feb 2007, 22:37
No mate! I haven't :mad2:

We had power outages so I lost what I had saved. :eek:
Back to the boss then :D

Well l had a great time trying to kill Amandas pet of in Katakhstan, however after about 15 minutes of trying and settling on repeling him into the electric fields till he vanished l did work out that l was not going about it the right way. l had thrown him at everything l could and he still kept coming back. That was when l finally looked around and noticed the switches. When l pulled the first l was actually for almost the first time paying attention to what Zip was saying, l had become so used to the annoying background noise that previously l had simply tuned out anything he said. :lol:
Well you know you have completed it when you go to the next level