PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Demo Issues - can't join or host

Poochie
3rd Feb 2007, 16:25
Read some posts that said don't even bother trying the PC demo, doesn't work. I have all ports opened, fw off, I even made my PC the DMZ.
I host a game and after 30 secs, get a 'No challenger value blah blah from the server" and it boots me.

I try to join a game, as soon as I pick my slot, game disconnects. I give up.
(**removed**).
Does the retail verson work ok?

Question 2, game play better with 360 controller on the PC, yes?

thx.

chip5541
3rd Feb 2007, 18:12
1. The demo does work. Make sure all the ports listed are open.
2. That is a personal preference. I actually like both controls.

Cooler King
3rd Feb 2007, 21:21
Plz el it says proplemencountered when trying 2 connect 2 server.

FusionC5
3rd Feb 2007, 21:57

English is your native language??

David Gilmour
3rd Feb 2007, 22:45

I get that a lot.. What I think it means, is that the host of the server that you're trying to connect closed it. I may be wrong, but, when I refresh the list.. He's not there! So one would assume I suppose.

Sorry OP for going off topic.

antiSniper07
3rd Feb 2007, 22:48
Sorry OP for going off topic.

It's ok, I forgive you :whistle:

Poochie
4th Feb 2007, 02:34
Chip, read my post again. I DID open all of the ports. I even made my the PC the DMZ.
I have been playing games over the modem/internet since the C64 days and I am network admin at my job, I know how to configure routers and firewalls. I've also figured out every other game that caused problems in the past but this demo is a dud.
Did you read someone else's post about his 17 clan members and none of them could get it working.
I had high hopes for this game but because of the shoddy work on the demo, I am taking a pass on the retail version.

antiSniper07
4th Feb 2007, 03:06
Network Admin huh...

Well, there is one thing some of you overlooked. Some ISP's, by default, close some ports without your knoledge. They say it's for security reasons, some old Trojans, like SubSeven may have used them. If you have your Router set to DMZ and the correct ports forwarded in your OS/FW, it's the only viable alternative. That would explain why common cure's mysteriously dont work for you. :whistle:

David Gilmour
4th Feb 2007, 03:06
I had high hopes for this game but because of the shoddy work on the demo, I am taking a pass on the retail version.
I agree. The demo is one thing, but what makes any great game a great game is the enthusiasm towards the community. To back myself, I have not seen more than one moderator/dev replying to any of these threads (except the stickies).. Unless, I'm that stupid and haven't noticed it! :whistle: Seriously though, there was just a flame war between me and a few fellow members.. Not one mod told us to be quiet, or threatened to lock the thread..

Don't get me wrong, the game is great.. It has it's ups.. But, it has it's downs.....

Poochie
4th Feb 2007, 06:17
Some ISP's, by default, close some ports without your knoledge

kind of odd they close ports ONLY used by battlestations midway:scratch:

chip5541
4th Feb 2007, 06:19
Naw! RR did the same thing to me with Deadly Dozen 2.

ozzo
4th Feb 2007, 09:08
Most ports blocked by ISPs are filesharing, netbios etc. typically < TCP 1024.

Poochie, what router do you have?

Poochie
4th Feb 2007, 16:03
Ozzo, I have the Linksys WRT54G with the latest firmware.

GrinchWSLG
4th Feb 2007, 16:39
Got the same router and just as many problems. Opened every port I could find listed, did the DMZ, checked UPnP, no firewall blocks. Everytime I join a game it will either not connect or at some point leading up to loading the game just freeze and the kick me.

ozzo
4th Feb 2007, 17:26
Grinch and Pooch with the WRT54Gs; do you have any option for 'Firewall, Packet filter, SPI' anywhere in your router's configuration pages?

If so, is it enabled or disabled?

Poochie
4th Feb 2007, 18:05
Ozzo, don't see that option anywhere on the router.

GrinchWSLG
4th Feb 2007, 18:05
I have a firewall page with four options.

Block Anonymous Internet Requests

Filter Multicast

Filter Internet NAT Redirection

Filter IDENT(Port 113)

The only one not checked is Filter Internet NAT Redirection

ScottWAR
4th Feb 2007, 18:12
Well, in al of these posts about routers that just dont work, I dont think I have seen anyone ask..... have you updated your routers firmware? If not, try that. Most routers have a choice somewhere in its setup/options to check for updated firmware.

GrinchWSLG
4th Feb 2007, 18:22
I'm running the latest firmware

ScottWAR
4th Feb 2007, 18:28
Ouch,................... well, if this is the case, your best bet, right now, is to call the router manufaturer and tell them thatthe game works for everybody, but those with this particular router, so it must be the router, and they need to fix it, or refund the purchase price so you can go buy a router that does work correctly.

If they cant figure it out, you can either wait and hope it gets fixed in a patch, which I doubt will happen, I think its more of a problem with the router than the game.........again, it works on models, so something specific with this router is the problem,.............. Or bite the bullet and go buy another router........ luckily enough they are fairly cheap. I would recomend D-Link, I havbe used them for over 4 years now and have never had a single problem. That might not be a bad idea,....if your router is causing problems now, it will probably only get worse as games get more complicated.

EDIT- before you say it, I know it doesnt seem right to go buy new hardware to play one game, but as I said, problems now, will probably mean more problems later.......................

ANOTHER EDIT- It could also be your ISP, as a mod said above. Try calling your ISP first, then the router manufacturer, then if that doesnt yield any results,.........well either voodoo or a new router.

GrinchWSLG
4th Feb 2007, 18:49
Well I'm not buying a new router for the ONE game that can't use it. Every other program and game I use has no problems, and its no small number. Personally I find this to be a fault with the game or the online system that it requires. The sheer fact that one must open almost a dozen ports manually just to play the game is absurd. Thats like a car dealership selling someone a car but then telling them they have to put their own tires on before they can drive it.

ScottWAR
4th Feb 2007, 19:07
No, you are expecting the car dealership to preset your radio stations for you, and complaining when you start the car and it isnt automatically set to your favorite radio station. Some things you have to do yourself.

If the game requires certain ports to be open in order to play online you have two choices, open them, or dont play online. Its as simple as that.

Now I do agree about the router, it would suck to have to buy a new router, but, as you can see other people with the same router are having problems, but MOST people with routers, are NOT having your problem........ so where do you think the problem is....... the game, which works fine for me and my router, and most other people, that have routers,....... or the router that a few people cant get to work? Seems pretty obvious.

Its up to you, if its the router, which it seems to be, you can only expect more problems in the future more than likely, especially with any game that uses gamespy, since that is who is handling the multiplayer aspect of the game.

However, like I said earlier, I would exhause every other option first. Call your ISP, call the router manufacturer, those cost far less.

EDIT-I do understand your frustration. I have played PC games for over 6 years now, and I can tell you, this is nothing new. EVERY game that comes out has problems, its just a matter of who has them......is it going to be me,.... or you, or someone else. SOMEONE is going to have problems. The big difference is learning................. I have never had a game I couldnt get to work. Many of them took a lot of learning, pulling out of hair etc,....... but sooner or later I always managed to figure it out. The same can be done here.

GrinchWSLG
4th Feb 2007, 19:24
Trust me, this is plenty frustrating for me. I'm a PC builder and I work in a campus computer lab. I've been wrestling with the router for 2 days now and it makes no sense why this doesn't work. I almost want to say it isn't the ports because I can practically get into the multiplayer game itself.

I'll sit tight for a little while and see what happens, maybe keep fiddling with the router. I'll post any findings should I stumble across the right settings.

ScottWAR
4th Feb 2007, 19:33
Well dont forget, it is Gamespy handling the mulitplayer, I bet its an issue with them. I think EVERYBODY has some problems in the game because gamespy. Look at all the posts with people having problems. 99% of them are mulitplayer related. There are very few problems with the single player game.............. Kinda shows where the problem really is.

antiSniper07
4th Feb 2007, 19:35
He's is just as Long-Winded in ventrilo :rasp: :lol:

Kai Robin
4th Feb 2007, 21:11
Now I do agree about the router, it would suck to have to buy a new router, but, as you can see other people with the same router are having problems, but MOST people with routers, are NOT having your problem........ so where do you think the problem is....... the game, which works fine for me and my router, and most other people, that have routers,....... or the router that a few people cant get to work? Seems pretty obvious.

Just how is the official PC forums full of topics of nothing but MP issues a "few people," I spent $40 to play this game and guess what? Me, like half the rest of this forum can't even play it online, even after going through as many steps as we can. This is ridiculous, have we seen even ONE Dev come to this forum and give us an update on when this will be fixed? Or at least apologize until they do?

Battlestations Midway is the shining new example of how not to release a videogame, which really sucks because this game is actually really good.

llanelli
4th Feb 2007, 21:18
While there are a number of people having problems, I dont think its indicative of the game itself.

Plenty of gamers are having zero problems, and thus dont come to the forums to post.

It IS rather ridiculous, however, that the game will completely freeze without the proper ports open, rather than just giving some sort of "Failed to connect" message

David Gilmour
4th Feb 2007, 21:38
Plenty of gamers are having zero problems, and thus dont come to the forums to post.

Just because there's no one coming to the forums doesn't mean people aren't having problems.. I mean, there's a lot of people who are lazy out there. Or, they could just care less.

Battlestations Midway is the shining new example of how not to release a videogame, which really sucks because this game is actually really good.

I agree word for word!

BRiT_ORC_Ferryhill
5th Feb 2007, 00:52
Cant log into gamespy via multiplayer in demo.
Just get message cant connect!
Checked my firewall/antivirus software (kaspersky 6 latest edition all updates installed upto 5th Feb 2007)
Can log into gamespy using gamespy shortcut on my desktop no problem!
Have tried various and nick's,exactly same error for all.
This is very annoying as the only reason i downloaded it was to try out Multiplayer,also very annoying that software doesnt give reason for error,lazy programmers strike again!!!
total of 4 hrs 35 mins wasted upto now (that includes mp download)
Think ill give the full game a miss based on this showing.:mad: :mad2: :scratch: :confused: ****

ozzo
5th Feb 2007, 04:24
From further testing, the error 'No challenge data was received from the master server', is because the traffic from 207.38.11.34, port 27900 ('master server') couldn't reach UDP 6500 on your computer. It will try several times to connect and you receive the error message if it hasn't heard back from the master server in that time.

flyboy
6th Feb 2007, 02:21
How does one open ports with ZoneAlarm?

Poochie
6th Feb 2007, 03:23
Ozzo,

Thanks for the info on that error message. I checked again and have UDP port open (6500) so either the linksys is bad or ???

I replaced my linksys wrt54g with an older model linksys that I had collecting dust and guess what, I can host a game. I actually played a few. Took me awhile to figure stuff out but the game has potential.

I'll send an e-mail to linksys asking them if the ports are not forwarding properly on the wrtg54.

Peace.

ozzo
6th Feb 2007, 03:34
Hiya Poochie,

Check your PM.

P.S. what model was the older one you had collecting dust? (PM will explain why).

BlackLotus
16th Feb 2007, 17:50
Ozzo,

Thanks for the info on that error message. I checked again and have UDP port open (6500) so either the linksys is bad or ???

I replaced my linksys wrt54g with an older model linksys that I had collecting dust and guess what, I can host a game. I actually played a few. Took me awhile to figure stuff out but the game has potential.

I'll send an e-mail to linksys asking them if the ports are not forwarding properly on the wrtg54.

Peace.

I have the exact same router (WRT54GS version 2) and never had problems... Then again, I use a custom firmware that gives me more options (Firmware Version : v4.70.8, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor14 (http://www.hyperwrt.org/)) and more lines for port forwarding... The first you should try when things like that happen is to do a hard reset of the router (the small hole in the back... use a pin) and see if that fixes it... If not, then you'll have to do that AND reload the firmware to wipe all cached/corrupted settings if any. Their website has the tool to do that.

I wouldn't try to change the router altogether as suggested by some of the other posters unless you try that first. Changing the whole thing because you can't workout the bug is the last resort.

Slyder73
20th Feb 2007, 03:26
Well I'm not buying a new router for the ONE game that can't use it. Every other program and game I use has no problems, and its no small number. Personally I find this to be a fault with the game or the online system that it requires. The sheer fact that one must open almost a dozen ports manually just to play the game is absurd. Thats like a car dealership selling someone a car but then telling them they have to put their own tires on before they can drive it.

I agree with this. I just got the demo downloaded yesterday, after several days of being VERY interested in the website and the game concept. I play games like this all the time, however my skills at getting into the guts of a computer to change ports etc are very limited. I've never had to do this before.
I have NO idea how, I cannot get the demo to connect, and I'm quite frustrated with it. Yes, I"ve followed instructions given on multipe sites and nothing has worked when I can even understand the instructions to get to the correct place.

This is ridiculous! In 2007, they release a demo to promote their main retail version of the product and it takes some advanced computer skills to even get it to connect....because it's not like they made it able to play offline.

I too will be passing on this game's retail version!