PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Closed alpha, session 1, VOIP Feedback

Ligkvaern
15th Oct 2013, 20:03
Having sat back and enjoyed the game during the evenings session, I'm impressed by how polished it seems, i only encountered one bug, which was my character model disappearing and me then being unable to attack (I died shortly after to a stray stake, which fixed it and it hasn't happened since)

Classes seeem fun and varied from what i've seen and i've no huge dealbreaker-y complaints, albeit i haven't played long enough to comment on the gameplay balancing either, however, i do think you guys might want to take a look at the VOIP system. It's enabled by default and this is terrible, since people don't seem to know. I experienced several people broadcasting their skype calls both during gameplay and in the lobby. I even accidentally bothered my first lobby myself, not knowing that voicechat was on and there's nothing in the settings, unless you open steam overlay and go to steam settings. I don't think this is steams doing (though i apologize if it is), as it's never happened in other steamgames.

Personally, i'd suggest that if you DO leave it on by default, please do with a push to talk key, not voice activation, also, please, let the players enable or disable whether we can hear others, personally, i found it distracting when my team was broadcasting their own conversation to the rest of us in a foreign language.

It might seem nit-pickety, especially as i have no other real feedback, but it bothered both me and several teammates and seems like a relatively simple fix.

also, hi to the guys i played with and the rest of the forum, i had a ton of fun, and as someone who played the series as a child and teen, a heaping blast of Nostalgia at seeing the world of Nosgoth again.

Psyonix_Corey
15th Oct 2013, 20:15
Personally, i'd suggest that if you DO leave it on by default, please do with a push to talk key, not voice activation, also, please, let the players enable or disable whether we can hear others, personally, i found it distracting when my team was broadcasting their own conversation to the rest of us in a foreign language.

It might seem nit-pickety, especially as i have no other real feedback, but it bothered both me and several teammates and seems like a relatively simple fix.

This is good feedback. As we're in an office we tend to shout at eachother instead of using VOIP, so we'll look into turning it off by default and relying on a game-specific Push-to-Talk Hotkey unless people opt into open mic specifically (as DOTA2 does it).

Ligkvaern
15th Oct 2013, 20:44
Wow, that's a fast developer response :D Sounds great! You might also want to look into a per-person mute, say you have 3 random teammates and one either yells or just has not turned off the mic due to technical ineptitude, but the rest of your team is fine, it'd be a shame to mute all of them.

(..heh, 1700 hours of dota 2 logged. You chose a good point of reference, sir!)

Psyonix_Eric
15th Oct 2013, 20:46
Wow, that's a fast developer response :D Sounds great! You might also want to look into a per-person mute, say you have 3 random teammates and one either yells or just has not turned off the mic due to technical ineptitude, but the rest of your team is fine, it'd be a shame to mute all of them.

(..heh, 1700 hours of dota 2 logged. You chose a good point of reference, sir!)

You actually can mute people in the lobby. Right clicking their name brings up a few options, including sending them a private message.

Ligkvaern
15th Oct 2013, 20:50
I actually wasn't aware of that! Can you mute them in-game aswell? I believe a few teammates were using your methods of shouting at eachother, and thus made no noise 'till they got excited (Understandably, i too had a blast, i just muted my blast :D) at which point i had to lower the game volume. A shame, since i really, really enjoyed the soundscape, the reavers hissing at you as they pounce is awesome and adds a ton of atmosphere, both as hunter or vampire.

Psyonix_Eric
15th Oct 2013, 21:54
I actually wasn't aware of that! Can you mute them in-game aswell? I believe a few teammates were using your methods of shouting at eachother, and thus made no noise 'till they got excited (Understandably, i too had a blast, i just muted my blast :D) at which point i had to lower the game volume. A shame, since i really, really enjoyed the soundscape, the reavers hissing at you as they pounce is awesome and adds a ton of atmosphere, both as hunter or vampire.

To mute someone during a match, hit Esc to bring up the menu, go to Score to show the scoreboard, click on the speaker icon next to the person's name.

VOIP seems to be one of the big things to come out of this playtest so we're going to look at how we can improve that whole system.

Ligkvaern
15th Oct 2013, 22:40
Alright, thanks :) For what's it's worth, the sound quality was also pretty poor, even when i could understand the teammates, lots of static and stuttering