PDA

View Full Version : Jerkyness...is there ANY way at all to fix this?

ogregun
3rd Feb 2007, 10:32
I have a problem that I can't really figure out...

An example of what I'm talking about is like when every footstep a guard takes, he "quivers" or "jerks" I don't really know what the right word would be, suffice to say that it screws up gameplay bad.

Same thing goes for the first person movement of Garret. I get portaly, skippy moments especially when im straffing...or leaning around corners. Actually leaning around corners is rarely smooth and involves usually only about 3 chunks of camera movement when leaning or going from a lean back into position.

Is there a way to get rid of this? It makes the game the next best thing to unplayable, it really does. I saw someone on here mention to revert to old drivers but that didn't help for me. Also, using 3D analyze and emulating directx 8.1 only results in the game simply not starting.

So, if anyone posts any solutions to stop the wretched jerking, I would greatly appreciate it.

Quillan
6th Feb 2007, 15:49
I never had the first person jerkiness, but I've seen plenty of that from the other NPCs. I don't any way to definitely fix it, but I think it might be caused by the system processor. When I first got the game, back when it was released, I still has an Athlon XP 2000+ processor. Later I rebuilt the system with an Athlon 64 3000+ processor, but when I played the game on that I still had that jerkiness. About 8 months ago, I replaced that processor with a dual-core Athlon X2 4800+ and installed the AMD Dual-Core Optimiser driver set (which, by the way, seems to take care of the game issues with the dual-core processor; at least, I haven't had a single crash with it and the game starts/runs just fine). With this processor, beast that it is, that jerkiness is just about gone.

GlasW0lf
6th Feb 2007, 23:51
According to ascottk, the Garrett animation loops used for walking don't actually "join up" properly, meaning there is a lurch inherent in the player movement. He created new animations to fix that, plus some other issues (including the useless leaning). I think there are some minor problems it introduces, so make sure to read the thread before deciding whether to install it.

GarrAT - Garret Animations Tweak. (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105502)

Komag
7th Feb 2007, 21:54
If you are playing on a laptop, this might be similar to a problem I had recently with Deus Ex. To quote myself:

After scouring all the internets I could scour, I found the solution! All I had to do was change my laptop power settings from "Portable/Laptop" to "Home/Office Desk", and voila, all my slow/normal/slow/normal problems have gone away!

Something to do with Deus Ex checking the CPU speed to set it's game speed, and the CPU usage changing the speed when set on "Portable/Laptop" varying the speed to maximize battery life. I guess when set on "Home/Office Desk" it will run at max speed the whole time, eating battery life faster, but since I always use my laptop plugged in it doesn't matter to me!