PDA

View Full Version : MISC. My impressions

Lirka_
15th Oct 2013, 19:50
So far I'm impressed at how smooth and bug-less the main game is. I'm not sure I've even encountered a bug while playing (probably, though I didn't notice). This game can grow into something really awesome.

The thing I was most impressed by was the art design and all the maps. They look gorgeous!
I do really feel like the game needs a few bigger maps though. A lot of times I saw something awesome, like the tower in freeport but couldn't go there. The City Entrance map for example really felt too small, especially when playing with the Razielim. Maps that are more vertical would be nice too.

Speaking of the Razielim, they need a way to look down while flying. How about holding spacebar to fly up so you can atleast look down with the mouse?

The artstyle of the world is great and the humans look fantastic. I'm not sure about the vampires though. Why not implement some kind of leveling system that let's us upgrade the vampires and makes them look more and more like the 3-clawed/ 2-toed vampires the longer we play? That could be an nice way to identify a veteran player.

And lastly. Objectives. The game needs an objective based mode besides TDM. Humans holding a tower or vampires defending a temple could be awesome. Maybe even have them use turrets and things like that (more interaction with the world). Though again, that would require maps of at least twice this size.

All in all I had a great time playing, and look forward to next time! :D

Psyonix_Eric
15th Oct 2013, 20:22
The thing I was most impressed by was the art design and all the maps. They look gorgeous!
Yay! Thanks :)

I do really feel like the game needs a few bigger maps though. A lot of times I saw something awesome, like the tower in freeport but couldn't go there. The City Entrance map for example really felt too small, especially when playing with the Razielim. Maps that are more vertical would be nice too.
Initially we actually had larger maps but we found that too much time was being spent trying to find other players instead of fighting, so we decided to shrink them down some. We also plan to support 5v5 (you may have seen it in the Play screen as an option) and our tests at 5v5 on the current maps seemed to be the limit of what was enjoyable.

The artstyle of the world is great and the humans look fantastic. I'm not sure about the vampires though. Why not implement some kind of leveling system that let's us upgrade the vampires and makes them look more and more like the 3-clawed/ 2-toed vampires the longer we play? That could be an nice way to identify a veteran player.
The 3-clawed / 2-toed vampire request has come up quite a bit so it's something we're discussing. Whether or not it's tied into a leveling system might be a different issue altogether.

All in all I had a great time playing, and look forward to next time! :D

Lirka_
16th Oct 2013, 09:26
Initially we actually had larger maps but we found that too much time was being spent trying to find other players instead of fighting, so we decided to shrink them down some. We also plan to support 5v5 (you may have seen it in the Play screen as an option) and our tests at 5v5 on the current maps seemed to be the limit of what was enjoyable.While I agree that it takes longer to find other players, it does add more potential for tactics. Both sides would be able to "hunt" each other more. Having played both L4D multiplayer and Primal Carnage (two games i feel are similar in some ways), me and my friends always preferred the bigger maps for those reasons.
And although I do think there should always be a few smaller maps just for the fast and fun deathmatch games like there are now, why not re-add those bigger maps you guys had and let the players decide if they like them or not?

The 3-clawed / 2-toed vampire request has come up quite a bit so it's something we're discussing. Whether or not it's tied into a leveling system might be a different issue altogether.Can't wait to see what you guys come up with :)

Psyonix_Eric
16th Oct 2013, 17:51
And although I do think there should always be a few smaller maps just for the fast and fun deathmatch games like there are now, why not re-add those bigger maps you guys had and let the players decide if they like them or not?

The main issue here is that making maps takes time, especially for this game. We have to collision check every area of the map to allow for vampire traversal as well as basic human movement, not to mention just making them look good and make sense from a world design standpoint. The maps we're talking about we abandoned quite awhile ago in favor of the smaller maps so they would need a good bit of work in order to get up to where the current ones are in terms of polish. At the moment we're focusing on new map styles. If there's enough demand for larger maps then it's always something that may happen but at the moment I don't see time for it in the schedule.