PDA

View Full Version : Constant Freezing

drebbin
3rd Feb 2007, 03:17
Cannot find a similar problem in any of the other threads. I can load up the game, crank up the settings, it runs like a dream, but after about 2 minutes or so, it freezes. I can still alt-tab out, then back in, and it moves fine again. Minute or two later, freezes again. Has anyone run into this?

Specs:

Athlon 64 3700
1 gig DDR
6800 XT
Windows Vista Home Premium (wondering if this isnt the prob)

Taskeen
3rd Feb 2007, 04:46
Did you update your video drivers?

And Vista does have some compatible issues with some games.

antiSniper07
3rd Feb 2007, 05:24
Cannot find a similar problem in any of the other threads. I can load up the game, crank up the settings, it runs like a dream, but after about 2 minutes or so, it freezes. I can still alt-tab out, then back in, and it moves fine again. Minute or two later, freezes again. Has anyone run into this?

Specs:

Athlon 64 3700
1 gig DDR
6800 XT
Windows Vista Home Premium (wondering if this isnt the prob)

Try lowering your Vid settings in game(unCrank the settings). Have you OverClocked your Vid card? Over-heating your Vid card, or the Vid card is bad(Ram Failing). Vid card drivers?

Goto start/run and type eventvwr.msc Check system and application for error's. Click Properties on the error then d-click the Microsoft link in properties.

drebbin
3rd Feb 2007, 13:38
No problems with any other games. Card is fine. But like I said, that really doesnt seem to be the problem, because when the game is functioning, it looks and runs beautifully. It just hangs for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time. I believe I HAVE to alt-tab to the desktop and bring the game back up for it to start moving again. Very strange problem, never seen it before.

antiSniper07
3rd Feb 2007, 17:28
No problems with any other games. Card is fine. But like I said, that really doesnt seem to be the problem, because when the game is functioning, it looks and runs beautifully. It just hangs for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time. I believe I HAVE to alt-tab to the desktop and bring the game back up for it to start moving again. Very strange problem, never seen it before.

When your in-game and the problem happens, bring up the Map screen. Sit on it for 30 seconds then pop into the action. Did this help? Did it simulate Alt+Tab? If so it's your Video Card! You can deny it all you want, don't change the fact. Have you OverClocked your card?

drebbin
3rd Feb 2007, 18:14
When your in-game and the problem happens, bring up the Map screen. Sit on it for 30 seconds then pop into the action. Did this help? Did it simulate Alt+Tab? If so it's your Video Card! You can deny it all you want, don't change the fact. Have you OverClocked your card?

No it is not overclocked. Sorry but if it's my vid card, it's a problem between the vid card and this particular game. I play HL2, Fear, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Splinter Cell Double Agent all on this same rig, with no problems.

antiSniper07
3rd Feb 2007, 18:39
No it is not overclocked. Sorry but if it's my vid card, it's a problem between the vid card and this particular game. I play HL2, Fear, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Splinter Cell Double Agent all on this same rig, with no problems.

Did you even try what I suggested?

1 gig DDR
6800 XT

These are the weak links. One Gig of Ram isn't nearly enough to play half those games you mentioned and get over 30fps. This combined with Old Drivers or Old Vid Card(not to mention inAdequate System Maintenance). I am guessing here. There are so many unknowns when trying to troubleshoot someone else's Pc, it's a Crap Game at best.

Also remember that I don't work here, I am no Mod, I am just trying to help you out. When you have trouble, you should be as specific as possible. The more information the better, and leave the sarcasm at the door. Only the Helper can be Sarcastic, not the Helpee(Is that a word?)

David Gilmour
3rd Feb 2007, 19:13
Did you even try what I suggested?

1 gig DDR
6800 XT

These are the weak links. One Gig of Ram isn't nearly enough to play half those games you mentioned and get over 30fps. This combined with Old Drivers or Old Vid Card(not to mention inAdequate System Maintenance). I am guessing here. There are so many unknowns when trying to troubleshoot someone else's Pc, it's a Crap Game at best.

Also remember that I don't work here, I am no Mod, I am just trying to help you out. When you have trouble, you should be as specific as possible. The more information the better, and leave the sarcasm at the door. Only the Helper can be Sarcastic, not the Helpee(Is that a word?)

Are you kidding me? You can play ALL those games with a gig of ram... Assuming you have a decent setup..

Word of advice, don't listen to this guy.. He has no clue what he's talking about. If worst comes, he'll probably screw you all together so you can't play any game.

HAHA, you can't play games with a gig of ram.. What a moron!!!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling the game? Seeing how you play those other games (except HL2, it could be ran on a junker) and it runs fine.. It might be a problem with the game, so I would reinstall.. Seeing how it takes about 3 minutes. But, your video card might be overheating.. Seeing how it plays normal, and then freezes soon after. I don't know the first thing, so don't take my word on it and call me a moron if I'm wrong :P!

Another thing, sniper is a troll.. So try not to upset him or he'll start calling you names :P

hankyone
4th Feb 2007, 00:05
I have the same problem and I am running Vista too so my guess is the OS is the problem. My PC is a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of ram and a 7900GT.

drebbin
6th Feb 2007, 13:58
I can tell that Sniper doesnt work here, because he hasnt a clue what he's talking about :D

I believe it may just be a Vista problem, of which I expected a few, so I shall just wait and see what patches will do.

Thanks for the attempt everyone.

CupOHemlock
6th Feb 2007, 15:56
There is another thread on this very page which I started.. named the same as yours :)

The fix for me was a driver update from Nvidia.. see that thread for the link.

COH