PDA

View Full Version : The longest levels

SethKoopa
2nd Feb 2007, 23:31
Which Tomb Raider levels do you remember for being exceptionally long, large and/or taking a long to beat?

Temple of Xian from TR2 gets my definite vote. It takes forever to finish, and even if you would go the straight path, it is so overwhelmingly expansive that you will not complete it in under an hour.

I would also say Lud's Gate and Lost City of Tinnos, both from Tomb Raider 3. Very large, long levels while being atmospheric, especially Lud's Gate. Lost City of Tinnos may have seemed longer to me just because I couldn't wait to be rid of those lousy wasps, but I don't think anyone who has played that level can deny that it may be Tomb Raider 3's largest and toughest level next to Lud's Gate.

ladylinnycroft
4th Feb 2007, 10:01
i thought the cistern went on for ages,but that's probably because Lara kept dying......and the kurtis levels.....lose the will to live

StarChampagne
4th Feb 2007, 14:10
Temple of Xian gets my vote. Although most of the TR2 levels seemed to be on an epic scale.

The Cistern took me forever - all that emptying and refilling the room with water. And all those doors.

TLR deserves a mention - while individual levels weren't necessarily that long, mostly around the middle they all melted into each other and so it was just one huge venture, with a fair amount of to-ing and fro-ing. THAT was a game :)

Cacodemon123
4th Feb 2007, 14:12
Temple Ruins from TR3
Temple of Xian from TR2
Lud's Gate from TR3
Lost city of Tinno's TR3
High Secruity Compound TR3

i took like 1-2 hours on these levels, espically Temple Ruins because i kept dieing
:mad2:

SethKoopa
22nd Apr 2007, 02:46
Much as I love Thames Wharf and Aldwych in Tomb Raider 3, they took forever just to figure out what to do. They're very impressive in spite of that (very realistic). And even when you go the straight path, you're in for a long journey.

Treeble
22nd Apr 2007, 03:15
I think all London levels in TR3 were a chore to play through because they were dark and took an eternity to get through -- even if following a walkthrough down to the letter! --, with the exception of "The City" which was a nice little bonus featuring Sophia. :D

Headache
22nd Apr 2007, 18:25
TR2: Temple of Xian - I timed myself on that and it took me 2 hours!

TR3: Lud's Gate took me about an hour and 30 minutes...

TR4: Lost Library. I had no idea what doors to go through and I kept getting turned around. Another 2 hours :eek:

My main problem is figuring out what to do... After running around for awhile and intensely observing the environment, I usually get it. Tons of backtracking is another one that takes up time.

Eventually I turned to a walkthrough for some of these because I got so frustrated. :mad2:

Ultimate Tomb Raider
22nd Apr 2007, 19:09
The Cistern took me forever - all that emptying and refilling the room with water. And all those doors. it took me 3 years!!! :lmao: im serious!

Headache
22nd Apr 2007, 22:55
it took me 3 years!!! :lmao: im serious!
Somebody musta been too stubborn to look at a walkthrough, eh?

Ultimate Tomb Raider
23rd Apr 2007, 23:34
Somebody musta been too stubborn to look at a walkthrough, eh? i didnt even know there was a walkthrough.:nut:

Lo
24th Apr 2007, 09:01
Hello folks,

I would have to agree that the Temple of Xian was a bit of a beggar to complete and I'm sorry to say that the level bores me senseless. There is so much to do and it becomes very tedious extremely rapidly!

Just to induce your yawns, let me refresh you on a few points:

Springboards
Rolling boulders
Dragon statues
Lava pits
Spider cavern
Angled jumps
Spiked ceilings
Timed runs
Ladders

Get the gist? :rasp:

I much prefer shorter levels that keep one's interest. Aldwych, although good, is also a bit of a tedious one after a time. It helps if you remember to do things in the right order, otherwise you have to keep retracing your steps. It also has the three timed doors which I positively loathe.

SethKoopa
24th Apr 2007, 09:43
Yeah well, the Last Revelation solved the excessive level length factor. Even the longest levels in that game weren't as long as, say, the London levels in TR3. Core admitted that the biggest problem with TR3 was that they went overboard with its scope. It was too open, and too unfocused.

Lo
24th Apr 2007, 09:53
I was going to add a bit about TR4 Seth - it rates highly on my list for this very reason - it is much more varied but not so that it is choppy and disjointed.

Rogue5
24th Apr 2007, 13:53
Yeah gotta say the Temple of Xian drove me insane, I never thought I would ever get out of there! I hated it!!

SethKoopa
24th Apr 2007, 14:33
I was going to add a bit about TR4 Seth - it rates highly on my list for this very reason - it is much more varied but not so that it is choppy and disjointed.
I'm confused as to whether you mean you thought that was an overly long battle or that it's a level with enough length to maintain your interest.:scratch:

Lo
24th Apr 2007, 17:21
Sorry, I meant it in a positive way ;)

TR4 is a great game and it holds my interest. It is a long game which is a bonus by anyone's standards but each level is well structured and not too long and drawn out.

I guess I am none too keen on 'cluster' levels - too many levels set in one location. Even though TR4 is all based in Egypt it is very varied. When playing TRIII I was getting a little tired of the jungle after a time. In TR2 I was even glad to get out of Venice after playing the Opera House and I like Venice! :D

Trueform
9th May 2007, 13:43
The cistern long? :S It's short! Just 2-3 big rooms. + it's lovely, fun, and green. + rats! and magnums.

Mangar The Dark
9th May 2007, 19:38
Without question, the TR3 levels are the longest. They were insanely huge. I preferred TR4's approach of having a greater quantity of smaller levels. So the game size is roughly the same, but it's broken down into smaller, more manageable chunks.

I'm surprised the Cistern is being considered such a huge level. I played it not too long ago, and it's really not that big at all. As Trueform said, it's basically just 2 to 3 big rooms, with a few small side rooms.

LisaB1962
9th May 2007, 19:57
Well, I guess it depends on what one means by long. Cistern probably is a pretty long level to play because it is so big and there's lots of backtracking to fill/empty the cistern.

It's interesting how there seems to be a critical mass point for levels. TR3's levels are huge, but that's probably because people kept praising TR's big environments, and Core thought "go for it!"

I guess even the biggest levels can get "boring" from taking too much time. "Is this level ever going to end?" :mad2:

Ultimate Tomb Raider
9th May 2007, 21:19
The cistern long? :S It's short! Just 2-3 big rooms. + it's lovely, fun, and green. + rats! and magnums.
no way! it took me 3 years! and rats are bad. also u dont get magnums in that level. u get them in tomb of tihocan.
that reminds me. tomb of tihocan is long too

Mertz523
10th May 2007, 02:43
I love the Temple of Xian from Tomb Raider II. I just played it a few weeks ago, and was surprised it took me only an hour and ten minutes, when it used to take me FOREVER to do. Found all the secrets and amazed myself by completing most of the challenges in one go. The only major problem I had was using the string of springboards 'cuz the controller would be unresponsive on the last one. :mad2: Then I figured out it was operator error :o Took me about 7 tries, if not more...

The Lost Library from TLR was also long, yet so much fun. It's an interesting, varied level, and I would set aside enough time so I could play it in one sitting.

Captain Mazda
10th May 2007, 03:50
I wiped the sweat off my forehead and took a breather after finishing TR4. Talk about a weight lifted off my shoulders :E

SethKoopa
1st Feb 2008, 22:48
I wiped the sweat off my forehead and took a breather after finishing TR4. Talk about a weight lifted off my shoulders :E
I felt the exact same way after finishing Tomb Raider 3, having finally plucked up the courage to finish the Lost City of Tinnos. I had literally not been so relieved for a very long time. My sense of exhaustion was met with a sense of pride.

LegendLost
2nd Feb 2008, 00:52
Despite the old Tomb Raiders actually having levels that were at times TOO long, the pride from them was indeed amazing. Theres almost no pride in finishing the new Tomb Raiders, sadly they don't require nearly as much thought/time as they used too!

SethKoopa
2nd Feb 2008, 09:08
Despite the old Tomb Raiders actually having levels that were at times TOO long, the pride from them was indeed amazing. Theres almost no pride in finishing the new Tomb Raiders, sadly they don't require nearly as much thought/time as they used too!

That's a thought! The problem with the gaming industry today is that companies are afraid that games that are too tough will sell less. They fail to remember that Tomb Raiders 1-4 are all very challenging in their own right. Especially 1, 3 & 4 require a lot of thought and time to beat them. And that makes them all the more satisfying to complete. Satisfaction and pride in your ability to overcome an obstacle is part of what Tomb Raider is about, imo. (I haven't played Legend but I disagree on the difficulty in Anniversary, I'm in level 2 and already I'm stuck!)

LaraCroftRox
1st Apr 2008, 14:24
I think St. Francis Folly in Greece from T.R.A was longest. mainly because i couldnt work out what the hell to do in the Posiedon! :lol:

Jezyk
1st Apr 2008, 15:10
I'm surprised no one mentions The Barkhang Monastery... it took me sooooo long to finish!! I was running to and fro and didn't know what to do next. The Temple of Xian is also long, but a bit simpler, straighter.
Aldwych also takes forever to finish for the first time. When I know what to do it takes me around 1 hour, but for the first time it was about 4 or 5 and I had to use a walkthrough once:/
The final level on Maria Doria (The Deck?) was also pretty tedious.

BTW I'm curious if you also get this feeling, for me one of the most tombraiderish things is to spend hours trying to figure out the level, then finally get to some new place... and get disappointed, because you thought you were moving forward and that's just a secret :nut:

Mangar The Dark
1st Apr 2008, 15:52
then finally get to some new place... and get disappointed, because you thought you were moving forward and that's just a secret :nut:

Yes! There were quite a few times when I was disappointed to hear that "secret" sound, because I would be stuck in a room, thinking, "Where the hell am I supposed to go?" Then I'd spot a ledge I hadn't noticed before and I'd think "Aha! THAT'S where the exit must be!" But then I'd get up there and hear the "secret" sound, and end up just picking up a few more clips of ammo, having made no real progress whatsoever.

On an off topic... all this talk about old levels has me wishing I could play TR2 and TR3 again. I traded them in years ago, and now I don't know if it's worth buying them again because I don't know if they'll play properly on Windows Vista. Oh well.

Fickji
1st Apr 2008, 20:32
Eew St. Francis Folly. I hated playing that years ago in the first TR and now I have to play it again in the time trial of anniversary. Pulls hair out of head

I ended up just skipping over the temple of xian. I just couldn't finish it. It went on forever.

Tomb of Tihocan was also too long. BOTH versions. I loved the Cistern level in TR1 and even though it was long was also fun to see what was underwater when you pulled the levers. The new version in anniversary leached all the fun I had in TR1 out of the experiance.

Anything with these new time trials becomes too long. You have to be perfect and once you miss one single jump your time is ruined. Now that makes short levels seem long. Especially with no restart button if you know you can't make it through.

I hate time trials

Aquilla
1st Apr 2008, 20:49
The Labyrinth from TR5. It isn't very big or huge or something, but the puzzle with the turning platforms (to get the book with spells) took me a few hours. I really like the Ireland levels btw.

The Cistern was pretty long, but also very fun and nice! (I think its the best level from TR1!)

The Lost Valley also took me a few hours because I couldn't find the "Lost Valley" itself.......... (was running around searching, lol).

All the levels in TR2 are pretty long and nice (spend a lot of hours/days on this game). (thinking of Floating Islands :cool:)

From TR3 I think Lost City of Tinnos.

TR4 definitely the Cairo levels.

AOD Parisian ghetto (with all the levels that are combined to the Parisian ghetto). Hall of Seasons also took some time.

TRL and TRA didn't really had hard or long levels.

Eew St. Francis Folly. I hated playing that years ago in the first TR and now I have to play it again in the time trial of anniversary. Pulls hair out of head

I ended up just skipping over the temple of xian. I just couldn't finish it. It went on forever.

Tomb of Tihocan was also too long. BOTH versions. I loved the Cistern level in TR1 and even though it was long was also fun to see what was underwater when you pulled the levers. The new version in anniversary leached all the fun I had in TR1 out of the experiance.

Anything with these new time trials becomes too long. You have to be perfect and once you miss one single jump your time is ruined. Now that makes short levels seem long. Especially with no restart button if you know you can't make it through.

I hate time trials
St. Francis was pretty long too yes (TR1), but I really liked it. The Time trial sucks with this level in TRA, so I stopt trying.

fael097
6th Apr 2008, 17:53
definitely lud's gate imo.

and i also lost the will to live playing kurtis levels haha :D

Mangar The Dark
7th Apr 2008, 00:33
and i also lost the will to live playing kurtis levels haha :D

Yup. I actually LIKED Angel Of Darkness, for the most part, but I lost all interest with the Kurtis levels. And it's not because I'm against having another playable character (I thought that was a great concept, to be honest), it's just that it was executed horribly. Stiff controls, annoying zombies, dull location, etc, etc. Bring back Kurtis with better controls and a more interesting environment, and I'd be perfectly fine with it.

cait__x
7th Apr 2008, 17:51
Still haven't completed the spider/bat woman thing which Kurtis has to fight, purely because he's useless and can't move fast enough. I mean in that particular game, Lara has all the new sprint abilities etc. Which makes him seem pretty useless.

Ahhhh. Can't stand him :]

Need that level doing though. I've finished all the others! Just not AOD! :[ xx

Bampire
7th Apr 2008, 22:38
Lud's Gate.
Coastal Village.
Aldwych.
RX Tech Mines.
Lost City of Tinnos.
Ice Palace.
Living Quarters.

^All those took me a long time to finish.. Obviously, and they frustrated me the most.. Especially the TR3 Levels.

Jezyk
8th Apr 2008, 11:17
Coastal village is actually pretty short :confused:

sasa
5th May 2008, 06:04
Oh my, yes!

Temple of Xian from TR II

The entire Nevada levels from TR III

Freaking St. Franic Folly and the Greece levels from Anniversary. Opening all the doors and then solving the puzzles for the keys *gah* I nearly passed out playing that level. I kept accidentally falling and dying from the long drops. :mad2:

norn iron rock!
9th May 2008, 14:28
This topic brings Catacombs of the Talion to mind (mostly because i'm playing it at the minute:cool: ). It was a fairly long level but easy to forget under the mighty and rightful shadow of Barkhang Monastery.

Highlights include:
Meeting your first yeti (ahh memories:D )
Breaking ice with avalanch of boulders
First springboard-at the end of the level

And thats all i can think of:whistle:

Dukem
9th May 2008, 16:01
St. Francis Folly in TR Anniversary took me around 4 hours to beat! :p The Temple of Xian in TR2.. I don't wanna know how long that took to finish! :lol: Also the Hall of Seasons from AOD took me quite a while. :o I can't stand the TR3 London levels in all honesty. They're way too long and require lots of things like precise jumping. :o

Mangar The Dark
9th May 2008, 19:57
Madame Carvier's apartment from AOD is definitely the longest level.
;)

rg_001100
10th May 2008, 01:47
In TRA francis folly was long (haven't played TR1)
The time trial was okay... with infinite health (damocles room was way easier if you use the infinite health. Time trial on that level without it would be way harder).

Lud's gate with the swimming/UPV bit was annoying. took me ages to find the switches for the doors in the underwater bit. And the huge vertical channel, which didn't really add length to the level, but it was annoying driving up and down it.

Spong
10th May 2008, 02:16
Madame Carvier's apartment from AOD is definitely the longest level.
;)

Man, I was stuck there for days. Then I realised it was a bug! :lol:

Longest level IMO?
TR3's Aldwych. I've clocked that at 43m08s. But that's getting all the secrets and all the items.

angerzXraider
23rd May 2008, 05:47
Hello folks,

I would have to agree that the Temple of Xian was a bit of a beggar to complete and I'm sorry to say that the level bores me senseless. There is so much to do and it becomes very tedious extremely rapidly!

Just to induce your yawns, let me refresh you on a few points:

Springboards
Rolling boulders
Dragon statues
Lava pits
Spider cavern
Angled jumps
Spiked ceilings
Timed runs
Ladders

Get the gist? :rasp:

I much prefer shorter levels that keep one's interest. Aldwych, although good, is also a bit of a tedious one after a time. It helps if you remember to do things in the right order, otherwise you have to keep retracing your steps. It also has the three timed doors which I positively loathe.

That seems like SO much fun!!! I haven't played the classics since I was a little girl, well im just a teenager now but... all i can afford is to play TRAOD, TRL and TRA over and over and over :( i dont have the money to buy all the classics. But I'm def. saving up for TRU. and when I am able to, I'll but all the classics. I only got to play them because my cousins owned them not me.

The longest level I can remember playing was when I was stuck in Vilcabamba, but I always knew about walkthroughs... so....

Lo
23rd May 2008, 10:09
Temple of Xian can be fun and varied when you first play, certainly. It's subsequent plays that I find a little tedious because just when you return to the actual temple's inside entrance area after taking the first path and all it's challenges, you realise you have to take the second one still :lol:

It's actually quite a colourful level in parts and extremely long, as stated. I like long levels initially as it's more gaming time but after a few plays I just lose the will to live :p