PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Extremely polished for alpha

SushiViking
15th Oct 2013, 19:33
My expectations for this game were very low, and I was positively surprised. The setting is just perfect. However I do not know much about LoK lore since I've only played Blood omen 1, 2 and a little bit of Soul Reaver 1, and thus have no idea this game makes any sense lore-wise. The humans are very well designed, with the Scout being my favorite character in the game.

The movement, which is one of the most important things in a game like this, is very smooth and responsive. At first I was bothered there was no jump but later found out certain classes have skills which fill that need. So far I've only played Scout and Reaver, both which have very nice mobility skills. The scouts grapple is extremely useful for quick getaways and getting a better view for taking out pesky sentinels.

I've encountered a few bugs and there are some things that bother me.
It seems it's quite easy for vampires to get stuck. It happened to me once when I was done feeding. I just sat in the air and was unable to do anything. Luckily a teammate was able to push me around enough for me to unstuck. As scout when using the grapple I shot at a hook far away to the right of the one I was aiming at. I arrived at the one intended but the pathing was really weird.

The scouts projectiles are too fast in my opinion. There's really no need to lead the shots which makes it very difficult for flying sentinels to dodge incoming arrows. Scouts also deal too much damage in close-range. As reaver it's pretty much suicide to facetank an accurate scout in melee range, especially with the daggers. I've also had 4v4 newbie game end up being 2v5. The shop needs more description and statistics. How much more damage does the stronger pounce deal compared to the standard one? Explain that the grappling hook only works on already set points etc.

So far I've really enjoyed my time with this game. The game is fast, smooth and encourages teamplay. Humans are actually really fun to play which is something I did not expect and they seem to be atleast equal in power to vampires, atleast when sticking together. Sadly the waiting times are way too long. It would also be nice to know how much the microtransaction currency will cost. I didn't find any information about it anywhere. I'll definitely be playing this the next two days and hope closed beta is getting near.

Monkeythumbz
15th Oct 2013, 19:38
Wow, thanks for your feedback - this is all really encouraging and rest assured we will be discussing all player comments internally over the coming days. :-)

Psyonix_Corey
15th Oct 2013, 19:47
It seems it's quite easy for vampires to get stuck. It happened to me once when I was done feeding. I just sat in the air and was unable to do anything. Luckily a teammate was able to push me around enough for me to unstuck. As scout when using the grapple I shot at a hook far away to the right of the one I was aiming at. I arrived at the one intended but the pathing was really weird.
The getting stuck thing we're looking into ASAP. We play every day and never see it, so it's one of those things that only shows up in the wild, as they say...

The scouts projectiles are too fast in my opinion. There's really no need to lead the shots which makes it very difficult for flying sentinels to dodge incoming arrows. Scouts also deal too much damage in close-range. As reaver it's pretty much suicide to facetank an accurate scout in melee range, especially with the daggers.
Couple things to unpack here..
- We tried projectile arrows during development (i.e., have to lead target, "bullet drop", etc.) and the majority of our testers found it too difficult to hit fast moving / erratic vampires. It can be specifically frustrating as a Sentinel, but we've found it to be a good counter to Sentinel heavy teams. Our best Sentinel players use map collision to shield them from faraway Scouts.
- Scouts do less consistent damage than Hunters, and you can interrupt their bow charge by attacking them at close range.
- "Facetanking" is going to be a tricky subject because it's a very delicate balance regarding human potency at close range. If they're any weaker, it's auto-lose if a vampire gets close. That said, vampires shouldn't feel like they're less effective swinging at melee range than the enemy. The current balance requires you to not run straight at a human if you expect to win - you need to gap close with Pounce or sneak up.
- Scout's Throwing Knives: We're keeping a close eye on their balance as they do provide a brief stun, and we've gone back and forth internally about whether they're too strong or not.

I've also had 4v4 newbie game end up being 2v5. The shop needs more description and statistics. How much more damage does the stronger pounce deal compared to the standard one? Explain that the grappling hook only works on already set points etc.
- The team sizing bug is our #1 priority to fix
- You should be able to see the damage Savage Pounce deals in the Shop tooltip (if you select it, the right frame will update with info). You can view your Pounce ability on the "Inventory" tab and a mouseover will give you similar info. We could look at somehow doing comparison stats with your "equipped" items, though.

So far I've really enjoyed my time with this game. The game is fast, smooth and encourages teamplay. Humans are actually really fun to play which is something I did not expect and they seem to be atleast equal in power to vampires, atleast when sticking together. Sadly the waiting times are way too long. It would also be nice to know how much the microtransaction currency will cost. I didn't find any information about it anywhere. I'll definitely be playing this the next two days and hope closed beta is getting near.
Glad you like it! The wait times are just a result of a very small initial playerbase, so that should improve with each test as more players are added and bugs are resolved with the lobbies.

SushiViking
15th Oct 2013, 21:57
Thank you for the detailed reply! I must've missed the information about abilities in the shop, I'll check it out tomorrow then. I realize that neither I nor anyone else playing this alpha has enough experience to say what is strong and what's not. My views would probably differ if everyone was better at the game. However, I thought that they may be of some value. Just take it with a pinch of salt. Looking back my decision to face-tank was pretty darn stupid. I guess with the way most games are designed it's natural to believe vampires to be much stronger than humans. I'm looking forward to following this game's development.

Ligkvaern
15th Oct 2013, 23:06
I do think you have a point with the tooltips to be honest, it does list the damage range on both skills, but it would be a nice quality of life change for the savage pounce to simply say "deals X more damage" or "x% more damage" instead of just "deals more damage. Not really an issue, but it'd be nifty imo. Detailed tooltips are just generally nice, allowing you to plan better and have more strategies.