PDA

View Full Version : Rootkits/hidden service's or drivers

Braindeadcow
2nd Feb 2007, 13:37
Can I exspect 1 in the new game?

GoranAgar
2nd Feb 2007, 14:08
There will be a copy protection. As in all the current Eidos games. But no rootkits/hidden service's or drivers.

Braindeadcow
2nd Feb 2007, 21:38
There will be a copy protection. As in all the current Eidos games. But no rootkits/hidden service's or drivers.

Humm,

The copyright version as I have seen on Legacy of Kain - Defiance?
If it is a legacy driver like that I don't like it at all.
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition would not allow me to play the game because of that copyright system.
As I will be running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 soon I really hope I will not run into that kind of a problem again.

I understand Copyright is important. However not at the exspense of my privacy or functionality of my Operating System.

So will I be able to play TR Annivesary on the Windows Vista Ultimate x64 version?
Allso, will the copyright software be removed from my system cleanly completely after I de-install it. As with anything installed on windows it is not uncommon that a de-install removes maybe 90% of the product.

Slim Vision
3rd Feb 2007, 00:55
As I will be running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 soon I...

Oh, you'll have much bigger things to occupy your time after you've done that than worrying about some measly copy protection. You're stepping into a whole new world of DRM hell...

Anyway, good luck with that. But to answer your original question, you should have no fears for copy protection with Anniversary assuming they use the same protection as they did with Legend. Legend used SecuROM v7 which is quite crap really but it does the job and for all intents and purposes, it isn't obtrusive. Not like the evil StarForce which is what you dislike; a rootkit installing piece of malware.

Anyway SecuROM usually just has one file either on the root directory of the CD, or perhaps in the install directory of the game, but no-where else. It is easily deletable as well assuming it is installed in the game directory and not left on the CD, and should be removed when uninstalling the game.

mrcube
3rd Feb 2007, 10:02
As I will be running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 soon I...

Oh, you'll have much bigger things to occupy your time after you've done that than worrying about some measly copy protection. You're stepping into a whole new world of DRM hell...

Yup, I'm going to have to back Slim Vision up here, get the 32-bit for your own good. x64 has an unbelievable amount of problems and compatibility issues!