PDA

View Full Version : Plane's free look needs improvement

SirPoonga
1st Feb 2007, 19:36
The free look for the planes is akward. It is difficult to fly and track your target.

I have a couple of suggestions.
First, the free look should have it's own inverted option. I'd rather have camera controls not inverted but flying inverted.

Second, it shouldn't be based on joystick position. You should be controlling camera rotation so when you center the stick the camera stays where it is at. To me it is awkward to be pushing down on the stick and try to do fine tune camera aiming at the same time as flying. I find myself either accidentally letting up on stick which turns off free look or difficulty moving the camera in small amounts. When an enemy is firing at your plane you don't want to have to worry about how to use the camera.
This camera wouldn't be so bad I it was a toggle instead of holding the stick down.

The other alternative is a click that toggles on and off automatic target tracking where the camera will always keep the target in view.

Otherwise I like controlling the planes. They have a realistic enough feel for me. I am happy you went with standard radio control plane controls too.

The other suggestion is target selection. Target and Clear Target is ok unless the target you want is one of the further away targets and you accidentally pressed Target one too many times. I had this happen in a map with a lot of targets. My suggestion is I don't think the bumpers are being used for plane controls. Have the bumpers cycle forward and backwards through targets. B can still clear target. That's leaves A open. A could be toggle free look. Left stick click could be camera lock on target toggle.

Thank You for listening, er, reading :)

Corvall
1st Feb 2007, 22:07
I also wish the free look worked better, but I didn't have any suggestions for improvment so I chalked it up to, "Well, where else is it going to go?" I'm glad to see you've got another idea. ;^)

Unfortunately, I just don't think it's possible for it to work as well as the hat button does on my joystick. It's something we'll just have to work with even if it makes dogfighting much harder.

Corvall

Keir
5th Feb 2007, 12:08
Thanks for the suggestion, this has been noted elsewhere, and I did mention it to the dev team so it's something that they're looking into :thumbsup:

sleepfauker
6th Feb 2007, 20:25
One idea with the aircrafts is that the right- and left-buttons makes the camera go to right or left. And when holding them both down makes the camera look backwards.
I was supprised that these buttons where'nt used. Especiely when the free-look is so bad. And when holding down the left stick to look around, the camera should'nt go back behind the plane when you still have the stick pushed down but not in any direction.

Steel42
13th Feb 2007, 17:12
The aircraft controls definitely leave a lot to be desired.

I really wish most games would allow keymapping.

The thumbstick buttons definitely shouldn't be used as buttons where you need to hold them down. It is extremely unnatural to play that way.

MostBlunted1982
14th Feb 2007, 14:07
The freelook feature is useless! it would be better if you could look behind you if you hold down a button....

Maybach
14th Feb 2007, 19:41
My suggestion would be to have a padlock feature that auto follows your selected target. This feature worked very well in Secret Weapons Over Normandy so I don't know why it wouldn't work equally well in BSM. :)

ryu1940
19th Feb 2007, 15:03
I was hoping for some sort of padlock to help track targets. With all the flak going up over a battlegroup and all the aircraft engaged with each other, it is very easy to lose a target after the initial break.