PDA

View Full Version : Lan Join Error

goatman455
31st Jan 2007, 19:54
When I try to join a lan game over my home network I always get a crash followed by a windows error. Either of my computers will host fine, but when the game is joined there is always a fatal error. It does not matter if the firewalls are on or off, and yes I have the ports open on the hosting computer.
Please Help.

BTW, the game ran fan on LAN on the demo, I am talking full version here.
Edit/Delete Message

antiSniper07
31st Jan 2007, 20:07
Goto Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc D-Click System, find the error in the list or recreate it to bring it to the top. Then D-click the Microsoft database link, sometime's it's very helpful resolving issue's. :)

goatman455
31st Jan 2007, 20:12
Thank you for the tip, but this is what it said and it didn't help much.

"
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_USERCRASH_LOG
Message: Faulting application %1, version %2, faulting module %3, version %4, fault address 0x%5.

Explanation
The indicated program stopped unexpectedly. The message contains details on which program and module stopped. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred.

User Action
If an error report was generated for this error, you might be able to obtain more information about the error by sending the report to Microsoft for analysis.

What to expect

Microsoft actively analyzes all error reports and prioritizes them based on the number of customers affected by the error signature contained in the report. When a report is submitted, Microsoft will try to determine the cause of the error, categorize it according to the type of issue encountered, and send you relevant information when such information is available. However, because error reports do not always contain enough information to positively identify the source of the issue, Microsoft may need to collect a number of similar reports from other customers before a pattern is discovered. Although Microsoft might not be able to provide a solution for your particular error at this time, all information submitted is used to further improve the quality and reliability of our products.

"

antiSniper07
31st Jan 2007, 20:21
That is what you found in Applications, did you see the same error in System?

goatman455
31st Jan 2007, 20:42
This is what was in system, but I mean this is happening to BOTH computers I have. I am guessing it has to at least be related to a software bug in the game. The error only occurs if there is a LAN game available to join. If no game exists, the empty server browser displays. But once a game is available and refresh is hit, the game crashes.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 7023
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
Message: The %1 service terminated with the following error:
%2

Explanation
The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the message. The service closed safely.

User Action
To troubleshoot the error:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
Message: The %1 service terminated with the following error:
%2

Explanation
The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the message. The service closed safely.

User Action
To troubleshoot the error:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.

antiSniper07
31st Jan 2007, 21:09
7023 relates to a Firewall issue in SP2. Is the WinXP firewall off on both machine's? Do you have any third-party firewall's? Sometime's they are part of Internet Security packages. Turn them all off and repeat.

goatman455
31st Jan 2007, 21:30
All of my firewalls (except my routers of course) are completely off. Maybe this is the problem, do the firewalls need to be running with exceptions?

antiSniper07
31st Jan 2007, 21:41
http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/networkcomputers.html

goatman455
31st Jan 2007, 21:56
Just got off the phone with Eidos and they confirmed others are having this problem, but it only seems a problem with certain configurations, strange. The demo worked fine.

If anyone who has 2 computers could install it on both and try to run a LAN game for me, even if your computer can't handle it, just give it a shot and see if it CAN connect (it will crash to the desktop if the error occurs).

justin3d
31st Jan 2007, 23:29
We found that the crash occurred when someone is hosting a server on the LAN. If nobody is hosting then you can get to the LAN server menu fine. If you then have someone create a server and you hit refresh in the LAN server list, the game crashes.

So this seems to be server related.

Oh and this is happening on all 5 systems here.

goatman455
1st Feb 2007, 04:01
Yeah exactly, it only happens when there is a game available. If there are no servers on the LAN it won't crash. Call Eidos and let them know you have 5 computers that do it. The more they hear, the more likely they will fix it fast. The guy from Eidos told me that on the phone. You have to listen to a lengthy intro and press the stupid buttons (press 6 for windows xp, when it asks you which windows) but once all that happens you get to an agent very quickly. 415-615-6220

HALO_Tac_Impulse
1st Feb 2007, 05:53
Here's what fixed it for me:

If you have a Linksys router like me, open it up and go to, "Administration" and then the"Management" tab. MAKE SURE that, "UPnP" is DISABLED.

This small change instantly fixed the above-mentioned crash.

Hope it works for you!

goatman455
1st Feb 2007, 07:18
I tried disabling this on my Dlink router but it didn't fix it. Did you have the same error I did? What does the firewall command under game options do (in the start menu for the game, not once you have launched it).

goatman455
1st Feb 2007, 18:31
bump please can anyone else try running a LAN game and see if you have this error.

goatman455
1st Feb 2007, 22:34
bumplease

Stank
2nd Feb 2007, 15:03
Hi,

Getting the same thing.

Exact same situation as justin3d discribed in the official release bug report thread above.

Tried all the port forwarding/static ip stuff I was able to dig up here and no joy (linksys router).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stank

D_Tox
2nd Feb 2007, 15:07
Me and my friend are also getting this damn crash!

It only occurs when someone is already in the lobby, upon hittin refresh or attempting to see/join a game it will crash.

I hope Eidos try and fix this, for we will try the possible fixes above. Strange cos the demo worked.

justin3d
2nd Feb 2007, 16:01
WORKAROUND: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=65253

We are using that here with 5 different machines and it allows us to play LAN games. The issue still REALLY needs to get fixed, but this allows us to enjoy the game for now.

goatman455
3rd Feb 2007, 02:36
Nice workaround, very clever, bump this to keep people and devs informed.

A7ESf
4th Feb 2007, 21:48
Same issue here with a Netgear Router. Again, worked perfectly on the demo, but no such luck on the Full version.

WinXP Professional one one computer and WinXP Home on the other.

I look forward to seeing this fixed (even though the work around works).

goatman455
6th Feb 2007, 01:13
Seems to be a common problem so I am bumping again for the devs. I am sure this will be addressed in the next patch. Looks like a strange oversight, that's all.