PDA

View Full Version : High Latency Fix!

antiSniper07
31st Jan 2007, 19:52
Everyone who hosts, host with your Country name, i.e.; State, East, West. etc.
There would be no more High Latency issue's. I have seen latency as high as 180 just from the West Coast to the East Coast of the US. So if your playing someone oversea's? Forget it! ****

MaxKarnage
2nd Feb 2007, 21:07
I had already been trying that. I name the server NorCal USA, and I still get people from Taiwan, Netherlands, and Germany joining the server.

antiSniper07
2nd Feb 2007, 21:12
I had already been trying that. I name the server NorCal USA, and I still get people from Taiwan, Netherlands, and Germany joining the server.

Yeah, I know :scratch: But that is the problem, if you play with people close, you will have zero trouble.

MaxKarnage
3rd Feb 2007, 00:03
Oh, I know. I just meant that in spite of naming the server to region specific, people from those areas still joined the server before a friend who lives a mile away could get in.

FusionC5
3rd Feb 2007, 18:47
I wasn't aware that 'east' or 'west' was a country :rasp:

antiSniper07
3rd Feb 2007, 18:52
I wasn't aware that 'east' or 'west' was a country :rasp:

Sorry, it's an "Old Fart" thing :whistle:

David Gilmour
3rd Feb 2007, 19:25
How does this solve your latency?

It's a good idea to label your servers like this, but it won't cause you to have a better ping. Your ping is from the hosts end, if he has a better connection.. the better your ping.

Although, it's still a dumb idea.. (Yes, just contradicted myself). All you have to do is hover your mouse over the server, and it tells you the ping. If you don't know that "250 ping" is bad.. Then you shouldn't be playing...

ravem
3rd Feb 2007, 23:14
I can play a MMO with a hundred people from around the world interacting in the same area, with a much more taxing game than this.

what makes you think that 8 people from the same region will help with the ping?

Ping is ping, doesn't matter where you are.

Just a console misconception I guess.

David Gilmour
3rd Feb 2007, 23:26
I can play a MMO with a hundred people from around the world interacting in the same area, with a much more taxing game than this.

what makes you think that 8 people from the same region will help with the ping?

I'm not a networking guy, matter of fact.. I hardly know anything about it..

Ping does actually matter where you live.. If you live longer away, it would take longer for you to reach the host (High Ping). If you lived close to the host, it would take less time for you to reach the host (Low Ping). Besides, it has to do with your connection.. I might have it backwards... You could live in Australia and have Fiber Optic internet and play at a server in Washington DC with a better ping than most Americans.

antiSniper07
3rd Feb 2007, 23:34
I can play a MMO with a hundred people from around the world interacting in the same area,

:scratch: You can play with people around the World in the same area? :nut:

:scratch: um...no?

So if I'm in California and your on the Moon, and were on one of these "more taxing games" of yours, the 220,456ms ping won't matter? :lmao:

Yes, there's a few misconceptions alright. :whistle:

ravem
4th Feb 2007, 00:49
Well, I guess when I play other games where people from Australia, Asia, Europe and North America play together and have no problems, that this game needs people to be close together makes no sense.

Perhaps the console coding leaves a little to be desired?

But heh, if it helps you, go for it.

Poor latency appears to only rear it's ugly head in these type of games.

David Gilmour
4th Feb 2007, 00:58
Well, I guess when I play other games where people from Australia, Asia, Europe and North America play together and have no problems, that this game needs people to be close together makes no sense.

That's because you're probably near the host. People who have high pings won't affect you.. It's only if you have the high ping. That's a common misconception though, many people think that.. But, it's not true.

Poor latency appears to only rear it's ugly head in these type of games.

I agree, but that's only because there's no dedicated servers! For example a server you would rent from http://www.leetservers.com/, where that server on specializes in Battlestations: Midway.
I guess RTS companies think it's a waste of money to have it host servers.. I mean, if they did have dedicated servers, they would only cost around $15-$20 to host.

FusionC5
4th Feb 2007, 01:12
I agree, but that's only because there's no dedicated servers! For example a server you would rent from http://www.leetservers.com/, where that server on specializes in Battlestations: Midway.
I guess RTS companies think it's a waste of money to have it host servers.. I mean, if they did have dedicated servers, they would only cost around $15-$20 to host.

I've only seen one RTS game that had dedicated servers, and that was for Ground Control II, and they even had dedicated servers for the demo, now thats service..