PDA

View Full Version : My little review. Login issues resolved.

sincraft
31st Jan 2007, 05:38
Sorry, but if you LOVE this game and wish to defend it, I won't be around to debate things with you.
This game is horrible imo. JUST one persons opinion though.

Started off the demo by jumping through ALL the hoops to get logged in. I've played several games in the past 3 or 4 years that required gamespy arcade, although I didn't know it, arcade and gamespy are different. Be sure to download gamespy arcade, sift through all the YOU MUST BUY A SUBSCRIPTION garbage to get to the 'no thanks, gimme the free version' TINY link at the bottom. Then, once I got in I couldn't use my known username. I had to change it, what's wierd is even the password is different between logging into the site to download the file and logging into the arcade, YET it see's ON MY EMAIL addres, the old account I used to use.

NEXT - ONCE you get into gamespy, click on help then firewall...and be sure to put the million ports required. Wherever it mentioned UDP in the ( ) I just put the port range set for BOTH (tcp and UDP)
Gamespy is gay, bottom line..
NOT EDIOS's fault!

But, let's get to the game shall we? Hopefully I helped people realize what they needed to do to login. It's NOT just logging into gamespy.
-Red is NOT the enemy. Unlike 99.9% of the games out there. That to me tells me the devs are not longterm or even parttime gamers.
-The graphics turned ALL the way up, look EXACTLY like an old game I used to play called ACES HIGH (an old ww2 flight sim fighter online game, probably the first or close to it. Made in, yes 1996 *a quick search shows there is an aces high 2...didnt know that*
-You are thrown into a fray of fire everywhere, but it's almost like you are watching a B rated movie that forgot to add sound effects. WHERE ARE THE SOUND EFFECTS? All I hear is PFFFFFFFF from things hitting the water. I tried everything and have NEVER heard of a war sim not having GOOD sound effects. This is veeeeeeery lame.
-Things warping ALL over the place? Is this 1996 again? Are we all on 28.8 modems playing people overseas or something? There were 2 whole servers running from the game via gayspy and, only one had 8 people on it. That's pretty much a big resounding HELLO, WAKE UP to the devs I would think.
-Ok did I mention the game feels like a cheap $10 game you get off of the shelf from best buy when you are drunk and think...hey I'll give it a try? Ok , well this game is going to be a game you buy when you are drunk in the bargain bin of walmart soon near a wally world near you.

Bottom line, unless this is the ALPHA or first stage BETA - I REALLY doubt there will be anyone playing this in 6 months.

Don't waste your time with this game, but at least download the beta and follow my connection steps if you don't believe me. It'll only be an hour of your time.

Finally, FLAME ON LEMMINGS! I won't be around to hear em. :)

Iron Sound
31st Jan 2007, 12:27
I had login issues with Gamespy and uninstalled the demo. I refuse to install Gamespy Arcade.

First qualm, obviously, is with the fact Eidos chose Gamespy to handle connections. Having read some BF2 comparisons, if I was able to get to the browser interface itself, I'm sure that I would pretty much hate that too.

In fact the core interface looks and feels clumsy and screams "XBOX PORT". Maybe a lower menu screen resolution is doing this... who knows...

Another recent game with similar problems (multi player) after release: Company of Heroes.

The home-made in-built browser looked OK, but functionality was a joke. There were "performance" bars which were supposed to indicate "ping" and in reality showed nothing.

500MB worth of patching later... a browser which performs and looks good! Numbers for actual ping! And a player rank/stat system reset!

I'm not flaming, I'm just disappointed, and only with the demo. I've been a loyal BS:M fan for ages, I intend to stick with this game because from the gameplay vids I can see the potential it has.

I just hope it's not another rough diamond that needs a year's worth of patching to polish it up.

and lol at the sound effects commments above ^^ :D

TBoss
31st Jan 2007, 14:54
I just hope it's not another rough diamond that needs a year's worth of patching to polish it up.

Who cares if it is? I think the demo gameplay is FANTASTIC. A little polishing and we'll have a classic here folks! I'm glad this guy sincraft wont be around either. He obviously hasn't experienced the hour long battleship slugfests that I have been privy to.

chip5541
31st Jan 2007, 14:57
Agree but even if the game has a few rough edges, like which game doesnt, the important thing is that is it fun to play. Everyone has thier own opinions but I think missing out on this game is really missing out on a fun game.

Iron Sound
31st Jan 2007, 15:24
Well, the first thing with a game would be TO PLAY IT! Which I haven't done yet! :mad2:

As for the "who cares if it is?" comment: I do! I will be paying for a FINISHED PRODUCT!

Let's have another yes-no-yes conversation another time, shall we?

TBoss
31st Jan 2007, 15:29
Well, the first thing with a game would be TO PLAY IT! Which I haven't done yet! :mad2:

As for the "who cares if it is?" comment: I do! I will be paying for a FINISHED PRODUCT!

Let's have another yes-no-yes conversation another time, shall we?

Go buy an XBOX then.

Iron Sound
31st Jan 2007, 15:34
To play one game?

When are you sending me the money? :)

... I think I'll be saving what I'd spend on the ShoeBox on a new CPU and GPU... which will last (play new games on high details) for 2-3 years... like my present computer has...

where is this going? oh yeah, KILL GAMESPY!

TBoss
31st Jan 2007, 15:38
To play one game?

When are you sending me the money? :)

... I think I'll be saving what I'd spend on the ShoeBox on a new CPU and GPU... which will last (play new games on high details) for 2-3 years... like my present computer has...

where is this going? oh yeah, KILL GAMESPY!

Look. I didn't intend this to be a flame fest nor shall it turn into one. The game features fantastic gameplay! That's the bottom line. I do feel for the guys that are having trouble getting the game to run properly. And please keep in mind that some of the most ambitious and best PC games ever were far from "polished" at release.

EuT.be
31st Jan 2007, 15:57
You dont need Gamespy Arcade to play this game or any other game! ffs, how many times do I have to tell this in general!

I've never used this program for any other Gayspy supported games. The only good thing that the arcade offers is to somewhat arrange your Gayspy profile and account details without using IE/FF/Opera and browsing towards gayspy id filling out xx forms. If you already have a Gayspy account, use this one to log in into the game and you're set. Encountering login problems, FORWARD the important ports!

Furthermore, besides the few crashes in the demo I've experienced the game does needs some polishing up in sounds in Gfx (unless if they are there in the retail already - still waiting for EU release! Gosh, again, I've got to wait 9 more bloody day's longer for a retail version, is it so difficult to release a game on the same day worldwide)

But for sure, the Network code has to get improoved, that was the hughe flaw I've found in the demo!

Iron Sound
1st Feb 2007, 16:51
Wrong, AdSpy was the only way I got this working. I succumbed to it's evil and installed it.

I've spent hours on the demo and had a few "great" moments already.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but as the person says above, it needs netcode improvements!!!

Single Player is what is actually keeping me interested in this game right now.. I need a little bit of scripting and "fluid" gameplay (ie planes and ships not floating off into mid air or below sea level at crucial moments), which the demo is not providing me with.
Plus, the unpredictability of a human team mate is either mind-bogglingly frustrating or a joyous spectacle!
Playing against and with the AI should lend some consistency to the experience in this respect.

If I'm forming an opinion on a game... I need a consistent experience to base this opinion on... right now there is none.

Sure, some of the best pc games have had massive flaws right from release.

But think of all the truly great games - Half-Life (the original) specifically in mind - where performance and functionality of the game was the main criteria for release, not a marketing deadline.

ScottWAR
1st Feb 2007, 19:01
No Ironsound, you are wrong. The game works fine for many people without having to install Gamespy Arcade. Just because you dont have the necessary knowledge to figure it out.........dont blame it on the game.

Granted, this game is a little tougher to get going online than some, but it does work, and is fun as hell once you play it.

Beastttt
1st Feb 2007, 20:52
I have had the demo since it was posted
I have yet to play a game with the demo
I have gamespy installed and have been logged in(no joy there)
I have made exceptions in my firewall for it(no joy)
I have turned off my firewall AND opened up the DMZ and still I can not logon to play a game
and yes I have tried all of the above at the same time:mad2:

usually I see a patch the day a game comes out
haven't seen or heard of 1 yet

No Ironsound, you are wrong. The game works fine for many people without having to install Gamespy Arcade. Just because you dont have the necessary knowledge to figure it out.........dont blame it on the game.

Granted, this game is a little tougher to get going online than some, but it does work, and is fun as hell once you play it.

David Gilmour
1st Feb 2007, 21:21
This game is going to be a huge failure..

I agree with most of the points that the original poster has said, except for the 'Aces High' graphics! Sure, the explosions and animations aren't the best, but, they are no where near Aces High! Matter of fact, I think when you're flying the planes they look absolutely awesome (I have the film view on).

For the PC version of this game, there must only be about 3 servers. The game has just been released, and the demo has been released for some time now.. and there's still no fix for creating/logging into an account! This is very poor on both aidos and gamespy's end... As the guy said above me, there is usually a fix RIGHT AWAY after a huge failure. I thought that DICE/EA were the worst with their community, but I was way off to assume that. This is truly the worst handled game of all time... I mean honestly, does no one beta test their games?

Personally, I think the gameplay is very fun! If you can get a server where the people actually don't suck and can stay for more than 30 minutes.. It is truly wonderful!

chip5541
1st Feb 2007, 21:43
I took about 5 minutes to set up the ports, that includes the time looking it up online, and was just playing online. I got the worse score but hey I have a reason. I don't teh game being a "huge" failure. I bet it will actually sell very well. HL2 was a fubar launch and look how well it sold. Even worse is look how long it took them to fix the STEAM issues.

Iron Sound
2nd Feb 2007, 15:43

Wow, retarded. I especially like the last bit.

You think I didn't try every solution and port forward every number posted on the internet?.. This before I installed GameSh1te.

I mean, I loved computer games for nearly 15 years of my life, I obviously have no clue about how to resolve common problems such as router and firewall config.

Let me reiterate: I only got this demo working once I installed the resource-draining, 3rd party sh1te that is GS:Arcade.

Guess what? Swathes of people can't get Battlestations to work without it!
GET OVER IT!

spectre01
2nd Feb 2007, 16:15
the login issue is dued to gayspy, not the game itself. so if we want a better online gaming, we better keep nagging the dev team and let them nagging gayspy.

chip5541
2nd Feb 2007, 19:30
Since this thread seems to be attracting the wrong type of comments and some people wanting to trick the profanity filter I am going to close this thread. Points about a game can be made without having to resort to the lowest common denominator.

The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it. George Washington