PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have Windows Vista experience?

mindragon
30th Jan 2007, 17:30
At first, I kept getting the problems other folks were getting on Gamespy so I tried a LAN game...

I have two desktops. One is a Pentium 4 2.8ghz with a Geforce 6800 and the other is a Core 2 Duo with a Geforce 7950. I have Battlestations installed on each and Windows Vista Business (all the latest updates). I also have the latest Nvidia drivers installed on each. Both desktops are hard wired in at 100mbps full duplex.

Each time I start up a LAN game, it doesn't matter if it is the main desktop or the other desktop as the host, after about 30-90 seconds of really awesome gameplay one side or the other will go to connection lost and the other side will show ships hovering in mid air.

I don't have problems with any other games (BF2, BF2142 (lan or online), Eve Online) just this one. Anyone have any ideas on what I can look at to improve the LAN game?

MD

Seclude
30th Jan 2007, 19:56
Are you using LAN through a setup in windows? or are you using a program such as hamachi, or wingate

mindragon
30th Jan 2007, 21:24
I simply choose "LAN" instead of "Internet" within the Battlestations client.

Seclude
30th Jan 2007, 21:55
Your computers have to be able to commuicate directly to each other over the network you're on. if you can't do that from windows through My Network Places or elsewise, then you're not going to be able to see them on the LAN selection. you can't just hook them both into a router. you can use a program like Hamachi to set up a lan for them both to connect to. does the work for you (most of.)

Amit9821
30th Jan 2007, 22:15
actually you can hook both of them into a router, i do it all the time with other games. its always detected over the LAN

Seclude
30th Jan 2007, 23:38
actually you can hook both of them into a router, i do it all the time with other games. its always detected over the LAN

No, not always. there are specific settings that can block and allow these kind of connections. and midway may need a setting to be changed for it to be allowed, since there is no NAT Translation. actually.

MDFMac
31st Jan 2007, 00:22
lan games work as per normal with this game.. yes there are problems.. and no there is no known fixes yet. i can play lan games fine but it cuts out my internet so that is all i can do at the time i am playing.

mindragon
31st Jan 2007, 06:03
Both my computers are plugged into the local network which then goes out to the internet through a firewall.

With the LAN play I am not attempting to play over the internet. I am attempting to play locally so there is no NAT or port blocking.

Both Vista computers have the built-in firewall and windows defender crap turned off (I have a real firewall, why do I need a fake one?). Other games play fine on LAN play and I can browse my local network no problem.

If the LAN / Internet bugs are known problems then I'll just wait for the Demo v1.1 until I try this game again...

MD

Seclude
31st Jan 2007, 19:42
Do other games work for your lan?

With the LAN play I am not attempting to play over the internet. I am attempting to play locally so there is no NAT or port blocking.

My router had UPNP Enabled, and nothing worked through it (LAN OR INTERNET) for Midway. maybe if you have this feature you should try it disabled.

mindragon
31st Jan 2007, 20:03
No UPNP on my router...Although Windows Vista may have some silliness with it. I will research tonight and advise...