PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy and Party Members Limitation

Shmexy-Sora
23rd Jul 2012, 12:09
Okay I've seen this in pretty much every Final Fantasy (more so in FF7). No matter how many party members you get you can have three while the enemy, on the other hand, can have 4, 5 or however many on the field, samething goes for Kingdom Hearts.

My question here is; why can the enemy have more than three party member at once but not the player? I really couldn't find any point in it.

While I'm on the subject I might as well throw this out there. In Kingdom Hearts you only ever get a max of 4 party member yet you can only have three.

Now i don't know if this will change in Dream Drop Distance but I would certainly like to see it changed. Nothing would make me enjoy the game more than to have an army of Dream Eaters at my back while I blaze through field with an over-sized key. \m/>_<\m/

member_10829610
23rd Jul 2012, 12:17
Most likely to give a challange to the player.

iambasho777
23rd Jul 2012, 13:48
In DDD you can have a 3 Dream Eater party, but one must be inactive. Combat lags as it is (in the Japanese and EU releases, at least) and adding more allies would just make it worse.

The reason that there are usually more enemies than player members is that our protagonists are usually so strong that being faced with up to... 8 is the highest max in the older games (unless 6's max is higher?), but 12 and 13 can have way more. Usually when you're faced with so many enemies half of them can be killed in one or two hits anyway, and with all the magic you have at your disposal you can always destroy the enemies with that.

member_10074094
23rd Jul 2012, 16:21
its a challenge thing, I mean, do you actually need more party members to win? If your an average to good player, you should be fine... RPG's all over use this, its not just Final Fantasy and other Square-Enix games

Automaton
23rd Jul 2012, 16:47
There's one or two instances of 9 enemies on the battle screen in the earlier games (like the horde of pirates in II!).

Keep in mind that in X and XII you have the option of switching characters in mid-combat, so while the number of bodies is still a fixed amount, you're able to rotate as you see fit.

member_10822883
23rd Jul 2012, 17:19
There's one or two instances of 9 enemies on the battle screen in the earlier games (like the horde of pirates in II!).

Never mind the plethora of splitting enemies (usually starting with formations of 5-6 monsters) in III!

Azure
23rd Jul 2012, 21:00
I don't think it is a challenge and most of Final Fantasies have more than 4 members in battle except FF VII, VIII, X, XII ,XIII .
FFVII ,FFVIII ,FFX are very easy to play so 3 members are enough . FFXII is really a challenge but sometimes you still can keep the Guest characters to do some mission or quest .

Shmexy-Sora
24th Jul 2012, 14:23
its a challenge thing, I mean, do you actually need more party members to win? If your an average to good player, you should be fine... RPG's all over use this, its not just Final Fantasy and other Square-Enix games

I don't have any trouble with RPG's I just thought it might have been a fun edition to have a horde of your own. Starcraft and Halo Wars got me going on that. I figured a game like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy would be fun with something like that.

sqex_3528307
24th Jul 2012, 14:34
BUt think about final fantasy IV in SNES and GBA there was three but for ds there was five if square enix remakes three into five so i can understand how you would want a extended party you coud have way more stageties

iambasho777
24th Jul 2012, 16:06
There were never 3 active members in any version of FFIV, there were always 5.

member_10074094
25th Jul 2012, 13:43

I don't have any trouble with RPG's I just thought it might have been a fun edition to have a horde of your own. Starcraft and Halo Wars got me going on that. I figured a game like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy would be fun with something like that.

well these games are RTS, Square-enix should make an RTS but that style doesn't fit in with the storylines of the FF games. FF12: Revenant Wings has what you are looking for.