PDA

View Full Version : Error when trying to host?

clonmac
28th Jan 2007, 23:44
I can join games on other players' servers fine. But, whenever I try to host a game, I receive the following error:

"Error: No challenge value was received from the master server."

It creates the server successfully and I show up in the lobby and I can select my player slot, but then after about 20-30 seconds, I receive that error above and get thrown out back to the menu.

I have opened up all the necessary ports that are shown in the readme file. Windows firewall is off on my PC.

Anyone else get this error or know how to fix it?

...I hate gamespy.

Seclude
28th Jan 2007, 23:54
Lol, it's not gamespy, the demo itself doesn't have NAT Translation apparently, and it's not easy for some routers to compensate, it should be fixed by the full version..(hope-a-****inly) until then, play with a friend who can host or just go pub. try enabling DMZ, if that doesn't fix it then it's something else. if it does, then you're forwarding the wrong ports or just not all the ones that need-be.

Also, add the ports to your windows firewall exceptions, and then enable it. sounds weird, but weird problems call for weird solutions.

Slim Vision
28th Jan 2007, 23:56
Yea I get that error too and have also opened up firewall ports and stuff.

Interestingly enough this error spurred me into using netstat on the command prompt. Netstat basically lets you see what apps are running and what ports they use (comes built-in to Windows), anyway I ran it so it was refreshing every five seconds then I played a game of BM demo.

When I looked at the results after finishing play I noticed something odd. One of the TCP ports listed as being opened was "28910". And it was definitly being used by Battlestations because it said that was the executable that was using that port.

That port is not listed in the readme, or on the gamespy arcade support page linked from the readme, leading me to believe that either the list of ports in the readme is either wrong or incomplete.

Though one other thing stuck me as odd too. I just figured I'd delete all my forwarded port settings in my router and try the game. Don't ask why, i just did. I was half expecting to get as far as the login before errors got thrown at me. But no such thing happened. With absolute none of the listed ports forwarded I was able to log in and play a game perfectly with no lag or anything. Go figure... I suspect its got something to do with the firewall option in the game options thing.

Although with no ports forwarded I still got that error when trying to host a game.

Seclude
28th Jan 2007, 23:58
Port Forwarding usually isn't required for joining games, routers differ, I've only ever needed port forwarding for hosting.

clonmac
29th Jan 2007, 00:29
Well as far as the Windows Firewall exceptions go, it is definately not my windows firewall. I not only have it turned off, but I turned off the service for it too.

Setting up my PC on the DMZ doesn't make a difference either.

I don't completely hate gamespy and I don't bash them every chance I get. But it definately is a gamespy related issue when their master server is responding back with a challenge response. Whether it is the game registering an incorrect IP or the master server just doesn't even respond at all, something is up with the server browser network code.

Slim Vision
29th Jan 2007, 00:33
I'm adamant that it's got something to do with the correct ports not being listed or something along those lines. TCP port 28910 can't just be a fluke.

Port Forwarding usually isn't required for joining games, routers differ, I've only ever needed port forwarding for hosting.

So I tried just forwarding the three ports in the readme for hosting instead and not any of the others. I still get the problem. clonmac's right, something's wrong and it isn't our setups (or if it is its because of what I just said and we've not been told the correct ports).

Endrek
29th Jan 2007, 00:35
I've been playing games online for many years and run into all kinds of multiplayer issues, and I've never solved any of them by opening ports. Turning off firewalls sometimes works, but in this case it doesn't. So I'm just going to see if it's fixed in the full version and if not rely on LAN/VPNs for online play.

Seclude
29th Jan 2007, 00:55
I don't completely hate gamespy and I don't bash them every chance I get. But it definately is a gamespy related issue when their master server is responding back with a challenge response. Whether it is the game registering an incorrect IP or the master server just doesn't even respond at all, something is up with the server browser network code.

Ahem. I connect to gamespy instantaneously. (I never installed gamespy arcade) I just used my account. There's a you to gamespy problem, somewhere something along the lines isn't going through.

If you can connect on the game 100% Fine when you go Directly Connect to your Cable Modem. then it's something on your router. But, the game doesn't apparently have NAT Translation... which I can only guess because it's originally from the Xbox360. - I bet it'll be fixed in the full version either on release or in a patch soon after.