PDA

View Full Version : Nextgen for PC?

mrcube
28th Jan 2007, 21:16
This has been a growing concern of mine, the Nextgen feature. Watching the trailer, all the in-game footage looks like PS2, or currentgen, and definitely not up to the graphical standard of Legend.

So, is there any news on this side of things? I've been wondering whether the nextgen for Legend was only present because of the Xbox 360 version, and with no 360 version for Anniversary (at least not yet) does that mean no nextgen on PC? Hardly seems fair to me, right after I finally build my new system, surely Anniversary should support it, otherwise isn't it just a step-back? I want to be able to play Anniversary at the graphical standard I can play Legend!

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

floydthebarber
28th Jan 2007, 22:02
This has been a growing concern of mine, the Nextgen feature. Watching the trailer, all the in-game footage looks like PS2, or currentgen, and definitely not up to the graphical standard of Legend.

So, is there any news on this side of things? I've been wondering whether the nextgen for Legend was only present because of the Xbox 360 version, and with no 360 version for Anniversary (at least not yet) does that mean no nextgen on PC? Hardly seems fair to me, right after I finally build my new system, surely Anniversary should support it, otherwise isn't it just a step-back? I want to be able to play Anniversary at the graphical standard I can play Legend!

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Built up your system eh, that's an understatement! Mine is pretty awesome, but yours surpasses mine! :D

I cannot imagine that nextgen would not be in the game. It wouldn't make sense to go backwards.

Piega
29th Jan 2007, 05:59
Yet I do believe there will be no Next Gen. After all there will be no xbox 360 version. I dont know if production time is the issue here or space on the disk to present a larger game.

Anyway I dont mind. I think Next Gen on PC was not that great. I can run it on my geforce 7800 but there were too many glitches like transparent textured snow and stuff. Some special effects were not in Next Gen while it was in normal mode.

This Next Gen was optimized for xbox 360 as there were even more effects on that in Next Gen then on PC.

aussie500
29th Jan 2007, 12:23
Well if they have 2 games in production and the next, next gen game being made is Tomb raider 8 being released in 2008 and the Anniversary game comes out in 2007, it is safe to say that the PC version will be current gen only. Ian Livingston gave that info in an interview about 5 months ago, so it is hadly news now that the Anniversary game will be current gen only. Crystal Dynamics did the PS2 version and the PC and PSP are just ports so they will have the same textures as the PS2 version.

floydthebarber
29th Jan 2007, 15:05
Well if they have 2 games in production and the next, next gen game being made is Tomb raider 8 being released in 2008 and the Anniversary game comes out in 2007, it is safe to say that the PC version will be current gen only. Ian Livingston gave that info in an interview about 5 months ago, so it is hadly news now that the Anniversary game will be current gen only. Crystal Dynamics did the PS2 version and the PC and PSP are just ports so they will have the same textures as the PS2 version.

Thats' fine with me, I was not that impressed with it anyway. :(

mrcube
29th Jan 2007, 17:46
I have to say, that disappoints me, if anything, they should do and do it well (remove all the errors) to show that they can do it, yes, there are issues in Legend, but no major ones, and it looks far, far more impressive than currentgen (sorry players of currentgen, buts its true!) and I want to replay the original TR in the best possible way I can.

It kinda seems have arsed not to put it in, I mean, it can't be that hard, just another set of higher-resolution textures. If they did it in Legend, they can do it again! After all, it's based on the Legend engine!

Raider0011
29th Jan 2007, 19:08
It would seem odd to me for them to release a game with last gen visuals on the PC as well. It's one thing to say it's a port, but they still would need to compete with games on the PC that look next gen... They can get away with that on the PS2, it isn't capable of more, but not on the PC.

On that note though, I do hope that Eidos announces an XBox 360 version soon. It only makes sense. Especially if there is a PC version with next gen visuals... :D

mrcube
29th Jan 2007, 21:48
It would seem odd to me for them to release a game with last gen visuals on the PC as well. It's one thing to say it's a port, but they still would need to compete with games on the PC that look next gen... They can get away with that on the PS2, it isn't capable of more, but not on the PC.

On that note though, I do hope that Eidos announces an XBox 360 version soon. It only makes sense. Especially if there is a PC version with next gen visuals... :D

Exactly! But why not show that footage in the trailer? Or on some websites.

Although, it must be said, that almost no (maybe it is none) PC screenshots have been shown, so maybe they are working on the nextgen visuals before they release any screens. That would make sense, and explain why it isn't in the trailer.

And on the Xbox 360 note, although I don't have one, or a Wii for that matter, its just my PC, and my PS2 (although almost all games are on PC if possible), and you can see why I can't afford a new console at the moment, my PC cost enough, lol. Anyway, I do think it's good to release the game on multiple consoles, it seems stupid, when they clearly have the engine, and the potential. Legend sold well on Xbox 360, so surely aren't Eidos losing out? It can't be that hard for them to do.

Another possible thing, is that an Xbox 360 version will be announced, and Anniversary PC, will ship, but have 'Nextgen' disabled and greyed out, then when 360 version is released (and they finish those textures and visuals) they could release a huge mega-patch for PC gamers who wanted to play the game in 'Nextgen' mode.

I still think it's unfair if it ships without it, I had to play Legend on my old PC, in horrible currentgen (altough it didn't seem horrible at the time, you only notice how bad it is, when you see how good it can be), with everything at low. Now, I've loaded it up, and although I'm playing through it again, it's not the same as it would have been to play it like that first time, I want a game where I can play it in Ultra High detail first time round!

All we can do is hope.

Raider0011
30th Jan 2007, 18:11
Most cases the snazzy graphical stuff seems to happen towards the end of development, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. It's easiest to program to the lowest common denominator, then once everything is pretty much polished up for that console they work on the more advanced versions. The only stuff ready to be shown so far may be the PS2 / PSP versions.

I agree 100% that business wise not releasing TR:A on all consoles is simply a poor decision. Hopefully they're just reserving the announcement for these consoles until we get closer to the games release.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense to release a PC version without NextGen support. It just wouldn't make sense at all.