PDA

View Full Version : PC Battlestations Midway : Sink or swim?

Fruitloop
28th Jan 2007, 15:17
After an hour or two of frustration trying to get this work with *%#$spy I am abandoning ship. I know game making must be a demanding business, but this demo has convinced me NOT to buy BS:Midway. It's done that job so well I have to consider (in my most warped moments) that that must have actually been the intention...

There are far too many good games out there that work really well to waste more of my time trying to get this working. I have been following development of this one for years..and...sigh..it's all come to this. Oh well I just put in my order for SOMETHING ELSE.

Smiling at many of the disgruntled thread titles in this forum have been the most pleasure I have got from BS:Midway. So I had to start my own. ;-)

Anyway what do others think..does this game sink or swim?

Seclude
28th Jan 2007, 16:25
It Flies, i'm more than sure that in time the devs will fix all the network issues.

snoopey
28th Jan 2007, 16:28
man if u think this game sink go play medieval:total war 2 its such a disspointment, even thought i still cant play this game it prolly is nothing compared to the wonder created by CA

TBoss
28th Jan 2007, 16:44
After an hour or two of frustration trying to get this work with *%#$spy I am abandoning ship. I know game making must be a demanding business, but this demo has convinced me NOT to buy BS:Midway. It's done that job so well I have to consider (in my most warped moments) that that must have actually been the intention...

There are far too many good games out there that work really well to waste more of my time trying to get this working. I have been following development of this one for years..and...sigh..it's all come to this. Oh well I just put in my order for SOMETHING ELSE.

Smiling at many of the disgruntled thread titles in this forum have been the most pleasure I have got from BS:Midway. So I had to start my own. ;-)

Anyway what do others think..does this game sink or swim?

It's ashame you feel that way because the game is fantastic. I had problems at first as well. I downloaded and installed Gamespy Arcade 2 and haven't had any real problems since.

You should give it a chance.

muerte [CV]
28th Jan 2007, 16:46
(i do not work for nor do I have any financial interest in EIDOS)

This is an awesome game.

beautiful graphics
excellent strategy gameplay
excellent first person shooting ie planes, ships
awesome netplay- hours of lag free play on my 2 year old computer hosting 8
superb game play- no individual scores posted... you work as a team or your team loses.

most of the problems with playing this game are related to:

-router firewall
-windows firewall
-other virus protection/firewall

solution READ THE READ ME FILE
or else post here and the community will help you

Also I have put up my Teamspeak for community use. I am not a real techie and can only provide limited tech support. BUT if anyone wants to hang out in teamspeak to help out, find me on TS and i will give Administrator rights, so you can create your own channel, channel for your friends or boot any disruptive participants.

you can also get on TS for game play so that you can communicate with your teamates or b itch at me for booting you off my server to make room for my friends.

My TS is at 70.84.40.250:8767 no PW needed.

Endrek
28th Jan 2007, 17:00
There's definitely something going on beyond firewall issues. I've turned off all firewalls and enabled the DMZ, so every "easy solution" posted here so far is out the window. I think the problem is on the Gamespy side of things, and a lot of us will need an official solution.

cjusmc15
28th Jan 2007, 17:02
wow, your dissing the game when you haven't even played it , you should be ashamed of yourself:mad:. this game is great. you probably dont even have a gamespy account, which is why you cant play. you should really just go jump off a cliff or something, or at least put a bag over your head:mad:.

Fruitloop
28th Jan 2007, 18:16
wow, your dissing the game when you haven't even played it , you should be ashamed of yourself:mad:. this game is great. you probably dont even have a gamespy account, which is why you cant play. you should really just go jump off a cliff or something, or at least put a bag over your head:mad:.

Lol. That makes me laugh. I am so ashamed I shall start self-flagellation immediately!

Look, I am glad it's working for you and you're having fun. I download a lot of demos (hundreds over the years), and I can't remember another that has given me as much grief as this. I (and the many others here) have a right to say we are disappointed that the demo DOES NOT WORK AT ALL for us, even after trolling the forums and applying all the 'easy' tips and fixes. Of course I tried all the suggestions. What do you think I spent 'an hour or two' doing? Only the last 5 minutes were wasted sobbing in defeat, slumped over the keyboard. I just can't take beta testing anymore. ;-)

It is important that some people actually give the feedback that they are having problems - especially catastrophic ones. Because 98% of people who try this demo and can't get it to work will just give up without bothering to give the devs any feedback at all.

Anyway thanks to everyone who has got into the game, written and said the game itself is great. It gives me some faith! I shall hang out for a single player demo! ;-)

Fruitloop
28th Jan 2007, 18:19
man if u think this game sink go play medieval:total war 2 its such a disspointment, even thought i still cant play this game it prolly is nothing compared to the wonder created by CA

I tried the demo of that and it really rocked! But that's another story..

cjusmc15
28th Jan 2007, 18:31
or you could just buy the game. the game itself has single player and the multiplayer should be better with patches and fixes. and plus, demos are normally never as good as the real game and never quite the same. so just wait another 48 hours and go and buy the game when it comes out. and if it still doesn't work for you can return it or sell it.

Fruitloop
28th Jan 2007, 18:39
or you could just buy the game.

Would you buy a car if the engine didn't start for you? Would you buy a house if you only were able to get in and see the foyer? Hmmm...

snoopey
28th Jan 2007, 19:00
ya man i agree with u friut it is very annoyings

spectre01
28th Jan 2007, 19:36
They done two things wrong.

First, team up with sucker gamespy. I bet most of the connection problem is caused by Gamespy side, not dev side.

Second, release a MP demo, and gamespy figged up all the good things about this game because its connection problem.

If they just release a SP demo for PC, then there won't be any problems at all. But they chose the wrong way. Thou I will still get this game in the future...

snoopey
28th Jan 2007, 20:10
First, team up with sucker gamespy. I bet most of the connection problem is caused by Gamespy side, not dev side.

ya mane every game ive bought that had something to do with gamespy i couldnt play online
is gamespy cheap? if not then why do developers use it?

Seclude
28th Jan 2007, 23:18
Gamespy is more than likely a cheap resolution for a login system, a lot of good developers use their own login security methods, or you have to sign up your cd-key on their website to play multiplayer (you're given an account that logs into their system.)