PDA

View Full Version : A place to organize serious, friendly games

TinPeregrinus
28th Jan 2007, 14:04
Obviously, I just registered, but I've been lurking here for two weeks, and playing the whatever out of the demo.

If you think of yourself as mature in general, and serious about strategy games, and would rather have a good match and lose than destroy a thirteen-year-old opponent you've never talked to, and will never talk to, I urge you to check out SeasonedGamers, at www.seasonedgamers.com (see my sig for the link). The site's more focussed on shooters than strategy, but we have a bunch of guys who love this game, and strategy games in general, and Battlestations is set to be big over there if we can only get enough people to check it out. This forum is great, and Eidos is doing a great job, but like all such forums, it doesn't provide a high degree of confidence in the people posting, because there aren't a lot of resources for community, as there are at a place like SG.

Corvall, who's posted a bunch already, is another member, and hopefully he'll back me up here.

Battlestations is the kind of game that can get very frustrating played with people you don't know. SG is the solution. Thanks for your attention!

Dutch Jester
28th Jan 2007, 17:35
Obviously, I just registered, but I've been lurking here for two weeks, and playing the whatever out of the demo.

If you think of yourself as mature in general, and serious about strategy games, and would rather have a good match and lose than destroy a thirteen-year-old opponent you've never talked to, and will never talk to, I urge you to check out SeasonedGamers, at www.seasonedgamers.com (see my sig for the link). The site's more focussed on shooters than strategy, but we have a bunch of guys who love this game, and strategy games in general, and Battlestations is set to be big over there if we can only get enough people to check it out. This forum is great, and Eidos is doing a great job, but like all such forums, it doesn't provide a high degree of confidence in the people posting, because there aren't a lot of resources for community, as there are at a place like SG.

Corvall, who's posted a bunch already, is another member, and hopefully he'll back me up here.

Battlestations is the kind of game that can get very frustrating played with people you don't know. SG is the solution. Thanks for your attention!
that doesnt sound very friendly but... im 13 and since you have attacked my age ill be sure to play you guys in a clan match, and you'll get a challenging match from "a thirteen-year-old opponent you've never talked to, and will never talk to, I urge you to" accept this challenge and fight the roughnecks!! z8.invisionfree.com/The_Roughnecks

TinPeregrinus
28th Jan 2007, 18:42
Yeah, so, anyway, if you want to avoid people like Dutch Jester, who think gaming is about who owns whom, SG would be a good place to go.

EDIT: Obviously, I wasn't talking about all thirteen-year-olds, but rather about a certain kind of thirteen-year-old (and also thirty-year-old). I wouldn't be surprised if Dutch Jester could kick my behind at this and every other game, but I happen not to think that's what's fun about gaming.

JaZwErT
28th Jan 2007, 21:49
I'd presume that any mature gamer, regardless of age, would be allowed to join...correct?

Dutch Jester
28th Jan 2007, 22:51
Yeah, so, anyway, if you want to avoid people like Dutch Jester, who think gaming is about who owns whom, SG would be a good place to go.

EDIT: Obviously, I wasn't talking about all thirteen-year-olds, but rather about a certain kind of thirteen-year-old (and also thirty-year-old). I wouldn't be surprised if Dutch Jester could kick my behind at this and every other game, but I happen not to think that's what's fun about gaming.
i know i was jk i probably would lose:) but i meant be more specific say the immature 13 year olds but i normally have the most fun when i lose sometimes mainly because i lose in retarded ways:rasp:

TinPeregrinus
28th Jan 2007, 22:51
Well, that's a bit complicated because of some problems we've had with under-18's in the past. So you can either lie about your age on the site, which I have no problem with since I disagree with the over-18 policy we currently have, or you can put me on your FL, and PM with me here, and I'll get you in on our games.

For me, maturity and age have a fairly loose connection, and I've met many 13-year-olds who are more mature than some 30-year-olds.

darklord212
29th Jan 2007, 15:47
Yeah not to attack a specific group but when older people for example start losing or something they will start yelling at ther teammates. Saying they suck blah blah blah. They take the game to seriusly sometimes and the little guys sometimes dont take it seriuse enogh for example not talking (i hate that with a passion) and quiting but hey if they quit more units for me i dont mind and sometimes ther just plane annyoing but ther are some cool little guys i must say.

Corvall
29th Jan 2007, 16:19
Seasoned Gamers is definitely the place to go if you're interested in games where fun is the focus rather than trashtalk and winning. Like Tin said, there is currently an 18 and over policy in effect, but most realize that maturity isn't always locked in with age.

Come on by SG if you're tired of playing random matches where you don't know who's on your team and whether they'll communicate or whether they'll quit as soon as they start losing. That's right, part of being a Seasoned Gamer means that you don't quit just because you're losing, or someone does something you don't like!

Rather than play the 'Quick Match' lottery all the time, join SG and you can be assured that all your opponents and teammates will be respectful and friendly.

Corvall

colonelklink
29th Jan 2007, 17:14
TinPeregrinus
im gonna add you to my friends list cause ive been looking for some games with older people (im only 20 though)

so dont be surprised when CovariantKlink adds you

Corvall
29th Jan 2007, 17:53
colonelklink, be sure to swing by http://www.seasonedgamers.com as well! You'll find all sorts of great people to play on XBL with there.

Corvall

Telaziz
29th Jan 2007, 21:09
Tried to register, but it never sent me e-mail for validation.

That said, it looks like you guys maybe playing BS:M tonight at 10pm (EST). I'll see if I can find you online. My BS:M addiction went totally unfullfilled this weekend by absolutely horrible games where everyone dropped out or had no clue.

Corvall
29th Jan 2007, 21:17
Strange. Maybe the Email got caught in a spam filter or something?

I'm not sure if I'll be on at 10pm tonight or not, but I may be on earlier. Shoot me an FR (Corvall is my GT) and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Corvall

Alymon
29th Jan 2007, 21:35
I hate joining additional gaming sites as I tend to get lost in the forum posts and end up not "connecting" with many people.

But it does sound as if your intentions are the same as mine and the group of people I play with on a regular basis.

I will check out your website tonight when I get home.

For reference, myself and a couple real-life friends, as well as some people we've met over XBL who've been awesome, all play together 95% of the time. We have our own website that we use to discuss game issues, and while we have our moments of immaturity (as everyone does) we consider ourselves a mature gaming community and believe in team work and communication among members, rather than just winning.

I'd rather lose with honor than win in a battle with no skill and strategy involved.

We use the name "Pirate Lance" which developed out of our Chromehounds squad, but have since moved on to playing many other games and keeping the name.

We're looking for team oriented opponents and people who aren't going to just quit because they're losing.

I don't think any of us really want ladder matches, or anything official. Just good 4v4 team fun.

http://www.frost3d.com/pirate

Corvall
29th Jan 2007, 22:17
Alymon,

I'm glad you're thinking of taking a look at SG. I think you'll find it's pretty different from other communities. "Maturity" there generally means respect for your fellow gamers. There's still plenty of good natured juvenile humor to go around. ;^)

We're looking for the same thing you guys are. Good people to have good fun with. No stress and no win-at-all-costs attitude.

Corvall

TinPeregrinus
29th Jan 2007, 22:19
Thanks for backing me up, Corvall!

I think I've got space on my FL right now (SG'ers have a problem I never thought I'd have--FL's that are nearly full all the time), so I look forward to gaming with you guys. I'll be on in Battlestations at around 10 tonight, playing with some guys from my clan, SG Corps, which isn't a clan at all in the traditional sense, but more like the group Alymon describes--we play a lot of different games, and some of us are currently addicted to Battlestations. I hope we can get some of you guys in!

Alymon
30th Jan 2007, 15:10
Signed up this morning. Waiting for approval (or was waiting) to be able to post.

Looks like a community I could enjoy getting involved with. Finally saw someone other than myself interested in Viva Pinata (my guilty pleasure).

:cool:

Alymon
30th Jan 2007, 15:20
:( Approved to post.

I don't know if its something with my work computer or not, but every couple pages I switch viewing I get logged out.

I'll check it out more from home and see if I have the same problem. I may not be posting on there during the day though.

Corvall
30th Jan 2007, 17:21
Glad you decided to try it out, Alymon. :^) I got your FR and hopefully we can hook up to play soon. You know I have the same problem as you with getting logged out every few posts at work. It makes it pretty frusturating, and I haven't figured out how to get around it. I don't have the same problem from home.

Telaziz, I hope you had fun last night even if my connection gave out a few times. I'll look for you for more games in the future.

Corvall

TinPeregrinus
1st Feb 2007, 14:08
A little bump for this one, since people seem to be encountering the idiot factor playing BSM on XBL.

We've got about twelve guys who are going to play this regularly. I have a feeling we'll have a tournament at SG before the end of February.

imported_Swing_Dangler
1st Feb 2007, 14:52
Just sent the membership info to the admin there.

suspect
1st Feb 2007, 15:24
Swing check your PMs

oumagicbaby
1st Feb 2007, 16:24
I just registered there at SG (not approved to post there or anything yet). I picked up Battlestations yesterday. Look forward to seeing some of you on XBOXLive

imported_Swing_Dangler
1st Feb 2007, 16:43
Swing check your PMs

I just sent a FR via Xboxlive.com

Great way to add friends while at work!

suspect
1st Feb 2007, 17:15
I just sent a FR via Xboxlive.com

Great way to add friends while at work!

Yep, forgot about that. Now if it would only start snowing so I would have an excuse to get out of here early...

Corvall
1st Feb 2007, 18:18
Glad some of you guys are thinking about giving SG a go! I think you'll be pleased at the quality of the games you'll play when you're with Seasoned Gamers. :^)

You've played with the worst XBL has to offer. Come to SG and play with the best!

Corvall

Pharseer
3rd Feb 2007, 03:35
I have been gaming for over 30 years, will visit your site and hope to match up with you all soon.:) I just got my copy and have not had as many chances as I would like to do MP, need to learn the maps, strategies, etc. Would be great to do that with a friendly, mature group.

Hope to see you all soon:)

Sirius99
27th Feb 2007, 19:22
Glad some of you guys are thinking about giving SG a go! I think you'll be pleased at the quality of the games you'll play when you're with Seasoned Gamers. :^)

You've played with the worst XBL has to offer. Come to SG and play with the best!

CorvallI humbky beg to differ..if you want the best come to the Uk's MATURE GAMERS CLAN www.planetmgc.com Only old people and those who take no offence at regular team killing inadvertantly should apply.

Seriously SG clan lets get a game together and see whjo's the oldest and most mature? :D All's fair in war and war after all...

Corvall
29th Mar 2007, 16:19
At Seasoned Gamers, while the majority of our members are in North America, we do have a few members from other parts of the world, including several Brits and a some Aussies. Unfortunately, it's a real challenge to get gaming time in with them because of the time difference. It's great to see that there are other locations for mature players that give others a chance to experience just how satisfying it can be to game with like-minded players. :^)

I think it would be a lot of fun to play with your group, Sirius. Unfortunately, the time difference will make it a bit of a challenge to schedule. Feel free to stop by SeasonedGamers.com, or if you prefer I can poke into your site and we can try to coordinate. Our current BS:M night is Wednesdays from around 9-12pm Eastern. Hardly ideal hours for you guys, but it's somewhere to start. :^)

Corvall

Seattle Zack
10th Apr 2007, 23:42
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in my forties, an old-school strategy gamer (used to play the Avalon Hill games with the little cardboard counters when I was a kid) and I've been sticking to the single player missions so far, I've been hesitant to jump into the multiplayer battles at all, after some of the stories I've heard. I'll definitely join the site.

--Zack

xgamerms999
11th Apr 2007, 04:14
So is this a clan or somthing, I guess I'm not sure on the.... ....erm.... ....concept?

Scipio65
11th Apr 2007, 17:05
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in my forties, an old-school strategy gamer (used to play the Avalon Hill games with the little cardboard counters when I was a kid) and I've been sticking to the single player missions so far, I've been hesitant to jump into the multiplayer battles at all, after some of the stories I've heard. I'll definitely join the site.

--Zack

I think you would fit right in at Seasoned Gamers, Zach. I fall into the same category as you, age, experience, etc... and I started with these guys last week, had a great 2 hour coral sea battle. The most competitive Coral Sea battle I have had so far. I will definitely be online tonight.

When you get into the BSM multi=player you won't find total war gaming realism. More like Axis&Allies type wargaming. But you will get to make plenty of strategic and tactical decisions, and get some good arcade style combat in too.

Scipio65
11th Apr 2007, 17:09
So is this a clan or somthing, I guess I'm not sure on the.... ....erm.... ....concept?

I think most of us feel too "age challenged" to be joining a normal clan. It's more like we are in a Nursing Home Clan. :scratch: