PDA

View Full Version : Connection Lost

Ubergeek87
28th Jan 2007, 07:12
Whenever I try to join a server I receive a "Connection Lost" message. This usually happens when either joining the server, selecting my group, or clicking the ready button. I've also tried making my own server to see if that would work, but I get a message saying "No challenge received from the master server." and sometimes it recommends opening a port (1201 I think). I've tried everything, or close to it, that has been suggested on these forums. I've opened all the right ports, and tried putting my pc in a DMZ. I tried running gamespy at the same time as the demo, which I've noticed gives me a timeout error at the same time I get Connection Lost in game. I also found a firewall option for the game itself under the All Programs menu in the "Game setup" so I tried turning that off, it didn't help. I'm wired into a Linksys WRT54G router, so it's not a bad wifi connection. If it was an issue with my isp I'm pretty sure it would affect all my games, but the rest all run online fine. The servers I try to join are all below a ping of 100. Can someone help me? What are your thoughts on my problem? Any help would be appreciated. I've been working on this since the demo was released and I really just want to play this game.

Servili007
28th Jan 2007, 07:13
Welcome to the world of many of the people on the forum. If you have already opened all neccessary ports, sit back and check this forum every few hours till we get an official solution :)

chip5541
28th Jan 2007, 08:38
The devs will be looking into these reports on Monday morning.

Goober74
28th Jan 2007, 16:15
Whenever I try to join a server I receive a "Connection Lost" message. This usually happens when either joining the server, selecting my group, or clicking the ready button. I've also tried making my own server to see if that would work, but I get a message saying "No challenge received from the master server." and sometimes it recommends opening a port (1201 I think). I've tried everything, or close to it, that has been suggested on these forums. I've opened all the right ports, and tried putting my pc in a DMZ. I tried running gamespy at the same time as the demo, which I've noticed gives me a timeout error at the same time I get Connection Lost in game. I also found a firewall option for the game itself under the All Programs menu in the "Game setup" so I tried turning that off, it didn't help. I'm wired into a Linksys WRT54G router, so it's not a bad wifi connection. If it was an issue with my isp I'm pretty sure it would affect all my games, but the rest all run online fine. The servers I try to join are all below a ping of 100. Can someone help me? What are your thoughts on my problem? Any help would be appreciated. I've been working on this since the demo was released and I really just want to play this game.

I have that same router with that exact same problem I have also tried everything I could think of.

Seclude
28th Jan 2007, 16:20
Ubergeek, If you look at your router while trying to connect.. is it losing power? mine does =/. same router. mine is v5.0.

Endrek
28th Jan 2007, 16:36
This is the exact problem I've been having. Same router. Tried everything. I tried a LAN game over Hamachi - that works perfectly. I'm convinced it's a Gamespy server issue. When I first got the demo and hardly anyone else was playing it yet, there were only a couple servers available to join and I had no problems then.

Also something I've noticed that may or may not be related - the in-game server browser is jacked up. If you are looking at the list of servers and new games are popping up/old ones going away, eventually when you mouse over a game the name of the game won't be consistent with the one actually displayed on the right. The game on the right is the one you're actually trying to join. Try it and see. Sometimes it even tries to join games that are full/closed! So it's no surprise we wouldn't be able to connect to those. I've found that hitting "back" and then clicking "join game" again fixes the problem temporarily. However, even when the game I'm trying to join is the one I wanted and it has plenty of slots, I get Connection Lost about 90+% of the time.

OperationPhoenix
28th Jan 2007, 16:58
sometimes this error message is caused by the host of the server closing the game or slots being filled up before you actually join the server/process of joining the server

"even when the game I'm trying to join is the one I wanted and it has plenty of slots" Same thing applies here..Lets say that you try to join a game at the exact same time as I do,but if you combine all the factors in,overall speed of your pc,and latency you may get beat out to that slot,and it will show up as 'connection lost'

Endrek
28th Jan 2007, 17:02
That's very possible. With so many people wanting to play, the servers fill up crazy fast. Usually when I do manage to join, the game had only 2/8 when I clicked but when I get in it's 7/8 or full. It would help a lot if more people were able to host, but alas I can't host even with all ports open.

Ubergeek87
28th Jan 2007, 18:20
@Seclude
I can't watch my router at the same time as running the game because it is 2 floors below me. No-one else is around to watch it either.

vauxblaze
29th Jan 2007, 16:32
I'm having this same problem too. I've tried opening up all the ports and moving the pc to the DMZ. I've never been able to join a game. The furthest I've gotten is clicking the ready button, which if I manage to get that far always results in a connection lost. I've had high hopes for this game for a long time. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk buying it if I can't even get the demo to work.

English Bob
29th Jan 2007, 19:48
:mad2: Me too, same router and tried the same solution but still the same problem:mad2:

Adolfz15
29th Jan 2007, 19:49
Same here

English Bob
29th Jan 2007, 19:55
Thats works with my Router, , , , :rasp:

Adolfz15
29th Jan 2007, 19:59
When i Turn on DMZ i cant even connect

Ubergeek87
29th Jan 2007, 21:25
For all the people who have the exact same problem I had, it would seem that the game likes to reboot this particular type of router when you try to join a game. The solution that worked for me can be found here. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=64990)

Servili007
29th Jan 2007, 23:32
hmm, i noticed that my router looses connection when i try to play too, it may be fully resetting (gamespy never did this to me before....:scratch: )

Nemo_54
29th Jan 2007, 23:42
I too get the "connection lost" message about 90% of the time. And I'm pretty sure most of it is due to the games filling up so fast, thus you aren't able to connect to a particular game.

One thing that could easily alleviate this issue however, would be to add a "refresh" button in the server browser screen, most online games these days have them. I mean, having to back in and out of the browser screen to "refresh" the game list isn't all that efficient. I was actually rather surprised that BS didn't have one; a rather glaring omission if I do say so myself.

ErikNL
30th Jan 2007, 10:01
I too get the "connection lost" message about 90% of the time. And I'm pretty sure most of it is due to the games filling up so fast, thus you aren't able to connect to a particular game.

I think you are right about this. I have been playing a couple of days now, and this problems seems to come and go. The servers are filling up so fast sometimes, it looks like most of the problems start here. Sometime I see a server 1/8 slots filled, I click on it, get disconnected, getting back in lobby several seconds after this and suddenly it is at 7/8 or 8/8. Sometimes it takes a while when I have clicked on a server and when it actually tries to connect. It sounds crazy but I have the felling that when I click on a server and then move my mouse quickly from right to left (thus keeping it moving) it connects faster?! Or perhaps I am just willing to believe everything to get this game working :)

On another post I also read that using the cursors instead of your mouse also prevents some disconnection problems?

However I had several disconnects when I was connected to a game already. Suddenly you get the Lost connection message! How frustrating....

Furthermore I noticed I had to disable my Avast Antivirus (with firewall) to be able to connect. And although I am not sure it seems that when I have Gamespy Arcade opened up at the background also might help (as mentioned before in other posts)