PDA

View Full Version : Why do they force us to put up with that Gamespy crap?

SteelyDan
27th Jan 2007, 21:44
I have massive problems with the server browser as most people do, it locks up for minutes, refuses to connect, can't find the server, random disconnects, crashes etc.

I knew there was trouble ahead when i saw the "Powered by Gamespy" logo.
It's been that way with every other gamespy game i've played.
Plus the retardedness of Gamespy Arcade is too much for me, and i'm not even talking about the adware.

Remember how crappy the BF2 server browser was in the start?
It's "Powered by Gamespy".
Took them over a year to iron out the bugginess, and it's still not "right".

Why do game companies refuse to let people use the alternative server browsers? I so miss just firing up All Seeing Eye, finding a server, then playing the game, no hazzle, no logging in, no crashes/disconnects...
(As it is now, i won't be buying this game, too bad, looked pretty sweet.)

Anyone know the reason for this?

Keir
27th Jan 2007, 21:58

Personally, I don't know. But the demo is working just fine for many.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. If its any consolation, I'm compiling a summary of the reaction to the demo which I'll be feeding back to the devs and Eidos as a whole and I'll be working on a FAQ next week which should help solve a few of the problems.

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 22:10
While I wouldnt go to so far to say its working "fine" for many, it is playable to a degree. I usually have far less problems than most but I still have problems with gamespy. Having to try twice to connect to a game, sometimes getting a "server is not available" message the first attempt, and sometimes just getting a "connection lost" message on the first try. When I do get into a game, its a 50/50 chance its going to actually be playable, due to lag and lost connections. When it works, its GREAT.

For a demo, and being free, its acceptable, especially since the game itself is very fun,....... but for a finished retail product,...... all I can say is you better talk to gamespy Keir, and get them to fix their issues, otherwise your job is going to be tough come release day.

My biggest advice would be to get a dedicated server file out ASAP. Many of the problems people are experiencing are just people trying to host on machines/connections that cant handle it. The XBOX is ok for hosting on a local machine, since they are all basically the same, but different people have far different PC's.

Amit9821
27th Jan 2007, 22:23
I knew there was trouble ahead when i saw the "Powered by Gamespy" logo.

i dunno bout u ppl but gamespy has always worked for me, and it has never crapped out or made a mess of things with the games i play, like halo and star wars battlefront 2

i dont love gamespy but it gets the job done, everyone with gamespy problems and anykind of problem, i highly recommend u post ur pc specs so we can see if there is anything wrong there first, including ur internet connection type

SteelyDan
27th Jan 2007, 22:47
i dunno bout u ppl but gamespy has always worked for me, and it has never crapped out or made a mess of things with the games i play, like halo and star wars battlefront 2

i dont love gamespy but it gets the job done, everyone with gamespy problems and anykind of problem, i highly recommend u post ur pc specs so we can see if there is anything wrong there first, including ur internet connection type

Ok, here are my specs:
AMDX2-4600 EE
2 gigs of RAM
GF7900GT
ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe mobo, and i use the onboard LAN to connect to the internet
Internet: 8/8 mbit/s through a citywide LAN connection, the bandwidth is dedicated to my PC though. I normally don't have problems connecting to gameservers through this connection, but i do know there potentially can be problems connecting to people that have a passive (firewalled) connection.
This might explain the problems connecting to some hosts, but prolly not the frequent crashes of my client.
I can't host games myself, because it needs some port open, even if i turn my software firewall off. My connection is through a Router that is beyond my control.

I'm guessing i would have far less problems if i connected to dedicated servers.

The server browser is still really bad though, even without the bugs. Hardly any options, and the list is so small, the listed servers sometimes disappear before i can click on them, they move around alot.

I still don't see why every games developer insists on making their own crappy little server browser, and then let a company like Gamespy handle the connections. There are some really good thirdparty server browsers out there, like All Seeing Eye (does that even still exist?, i know Yahoo bought them). Xfire is said to be a good server broswer as well.

cjusmc15
27th Jan 2007, 23:56
why the hell are you dissing bf2, :mad: , that game is great. ive never had any problems with it. and browser has always worked fine for me in it. gamespy works fine for me, it just must not like you, to bad,:lol:

SteelyDan
28th Jan 2007, 00:15
why the hell are you dissing bf2, :mad: , that game is great. ive never had any problems with it. and browser has always worked fine for me in it. gamespy works fine for me, it just must not like you, to bad,:lol:

Im not dissing BF2, im dissing the server browser in it, the game itself is great.
I guess you havent been around BF2 since it started. The server browser was horrible. Extremely laggy, had very few options, and bugged out or crashed every second time people used it. The various forums were filled with people complaining about it.
Nowadays, a year and a half later, it's alot better, but not as good as it should have been. But it's usable.

Seems like these days, it's the same problem with new games, game itself is fine, but they have to make their own server browser, often a new one for each game, and there always has to be problems with it.
And it seems like the games that have these problems, feature the "Powered by Gamespy" logo.
Wether it's Gamespy that can't get their **** together, or if it's poor programming by the games developers doesn't mean ***** to me, I just want my game to work.

The solution seems to be quite simple too, use thÃ*rdparty server browsers.
That way you don't have to make a new server browser, with new problems each time, for each new game.

So that's why i made this thread, because i'm wondering why they refuse to do that. Are there any downsides to using standalone server browsers that i don't know of?

SteelyDan
29th Jan 2007, 10:44
Heh, seems i now only have to try joining for half an hour now, to get into a game, instead of about an hour.
Still get crashes though.

I hate it when the host of a game quits when his team starts losing though, seems to happen in about every third game.
Are they planning to put up dedicated servers for this, otherwise brilliant, game?
And will there be join in progress? It kinda sucks when half of the players leave, and you end up with 4 vs 1, or the game ending altogether because there aren't enough players...

chip5541
29th Jan 2007, 10:53
Sometimes the drops work to your advantage. After losing my boats and shipyard i cycled through and found I had bombers from a dropped player. Thank you!!:D That helped me win even though it was 2 vs 1. :D

NuclearDruid
29th Jan 2007, 13:03

You must have not played the game at release.

whoopy91
29th Jan 2007, 13:03
I had problesm too, but I solved them all ( had like 3 errors) PM me if you want some answeres

macktheknife
31st Jan 2007, 10:41
Personally, I don't know. But the demo is working just fine for many.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. If its any consolation, I'm compiling a summary of the reaction to the demo which I'll be feeding back to the devs and Eidos as a whole and I'll be working on a FAQ next week which should help solve a few of the problems.

hah, you sound just like EAUKProtagonist, from the EA Forums for bf2.... promises and promises and nothing gets done.

Mike_B
31st Jan 2007, 11:20
Sure let's attack the guy that actually tries to gets something done :rolleyes:

ScottWAR
31st Jan 2007, 13:11
hah, you sound just like EAUKProtagonist, from the EA Forums for bf2.... promises and promises and nothing gets done.

You havent got a clue what you are talking about.

chip5541
31st Jan 2007, 13:21
Does the saying "biting the hand that feeds you" ring a bell ;)

gzr_groundhog
31st Jan 2007, 14:57
Somebody posted after you set up your account using game spot arcade you can remove it from your puter. Well I did it and it seems to work just keep you same ID and psswrd no more arcade to deal with.

chip5541
31st Jan 2007, 14:58
True although I have not tried it myself.

MDFMac
31st Jan 2007, 16:36
you do not have to install game spy on your computer.. if you cannot connect there is other problems.

EuT.be
31st Jan 2007, 16:40
Read my signature as it clearly said that you dont need the arcade, not even to manage your profile! BF2 requires Gamespy included and I'm using my 4 yr old gamespy ID for BF2 as also for this game as I never installed the arcade.

The GameSpy arcade is just another spoof of gamespy to collect money from deperate gamers which could "help" them out.

You only need to know the correct URL's and the right programs.

If you cant connect, check if your modem/router/firewall isnt blocking the signals from you -> server and from server -> you.

Spike12
31st Jan 2007, 17:45
The demo works pretty well for me, but I keep getting disconnected from servers and whatnot. I'll probably end up getting the 360 version anyways, oh well.

Iron Sound
1st Feb 2007, 16:56
You just have to install Arcade and put up with it's sh1t. I tried all that port forwarding malarchy and router setting tweaking... POINTLESS.

I will uninstall it later and see if it (the demo) still works, as someone mentioned above.

antiSniper07
1st Feb 2007, 17:07

$$$