PDA

View Full Version : Pc Demo problems? Resolved Easily!

antiSniper07
27th Jan 2007, 06:15
Earlier today I installed and proceeded to play the PC Demo. Had the log-in issue, but after installing Gamespy Arcade and signing in with my Founders account, that was resolved. Had one freeze, left the game and ran Diskeeper and defragged, that was resolved. Lost connection, set Router to DMZ but kept Windows Firewall on, that was resolved. Entered game again was kicked a few times for High Latency. Had my friend get the demo that lived in the US with me, that was resolved. Game ran great, very smooth, no lag. We played against each other twice which lasted several hours. Had a Great time! Pre-ordered.

The only complaint I have would be the In-Game Browser. Need filters for Ping(a Must). Ability to Password Internet games, the usual stuff. Other then that, Good Job! :D

Wall Shadow
27th Jan 2007, 06:49
Thanks for the help!

Goober74
27th Jan 2007, 07:39
What about this DMZing being a big dumb mistake that anyone can hack into your computer afterwards?

antiSniper07
27th Jan 2007, 16:07
What about this DMZing being a big dumb mistake that anyone can hack into your computer afterwards?

We won't go into what I know and what I don't. What you call Hacker's are a bunch of kids trying out their new port scanners they just downloaded or it might be the hundred or so Firewall Companies Pinging address ranges to ad worth to their worthless products, who knows?

Windows Firewall is all you really need, it keeps the Kiddies out. Cause if a Hacker wanted in your computer, no firewall is going to keep me out. You got to ask yourself, "am I really so important to draw the attention of a Hacker?". ..I highly doubt it!

Now, toss those hard-to-use third-party firewalls and enjoy your games! :)

Rafterman82
27th Jan 2007, 16:28
DMZing ur machine will leave it wide open, and the windows firewall is not amazing at the best of times, if you use peer2peer networking progs, limewire etc etc or torrents, little spotty nerds with too much time will find ur machine, but also bear in mind if u go to a dodgy website whilst in a DMZ u may catch something nasty, finally if u go on IRC in a DMZ, ur machine will most likely die very quickly

antiSniper07
27th Jan 2007, 16:52
little spotty nerds with too much time will find ur machine,

What are they going to do then? Doh!

but also bear in mind if u go to a dodgy website whilst in a DMZ u may catch something nasty

I think you have strayed from the topic.

finally if u go on IRC in a DMZ, ur machine will most likely die very quickly

I timed myseld and it took me 43 seconds to put myself in DMZ. I would assume another 43 seconds to disable. Why couldnt someone just do that after gaming? Is it that hard or complicated? Or are you just that Lazy!!

I understand your concern and warnings and in the past would have been warranted. Yes, there is a Gazillion Script Kiddies out there. But most security today is far over-rated. What you illustrated are bad surfing habits at best, and yes, can be bad. But it's like the old saying, if you don't look both ways before crossing the street, dont complain when someone runs you over.

aircad
27th Jan 2007, 20:10
We won't go into what I know and what I don't. What you call Hacker's are a bunch of kids trying out their new port scanners they just downloaded or it might be the hundred or so Firewall Companies Pinging address ranges to ad worth to their worthless products, who knows?

Windows Firewall is all you really need, it keeps the Kiddies out. Cause if a Hacker wanted in your computer, no firewall is going to keep me out. You got to ask yourself, "am I really so important to draw the attention of a Hacker?". ..I highly doubt it!

Now, toss those hard-to-use third-party firewalls and enjoy your games! :)

Horrible reply IMO, I did the same thing a few years ago playing Flight Simulator and after only 15 minutes, my computer got trashed! If your gonna disable the firewall to connect to a game server, then the game server better be secure. I do more with my computer than just `Play Games' and I wont loose all my hard work over a dumb mistake!

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 20:34
Well, my last computer was DMZ'ed for 3 years straight, and never had a problem. Then again I stay away from certain websites and dont download anything questionable at all.

antiSniper07
27th Jan 2007, 21:03
Horrible reply IMO, I did the same thing a few years ago playing Flight Simulator and after only 15 minutes, my computer got trashed! If your gonna disable the firewall to connect to a game server, then the game server better be secure. I do more with my computer than just `Play Games' and I wont loose all my hard work over a dumb mistake!

But, that was a few years ago. And you can't lose what you back-up.

Regardless, things have changed since last night. Seems they are trying new ports to communicate on. So some of you who had no trouble before might sudenly find yourself in a New World :rasp:

a dutch alphawolf
28th Jan 2007, 14:37
what's a founder account