PDA

View Full Version : PC Demo Will Destroy Any Chance of Sales - incredibly disappointed

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 01:29
My friends, I have lurked here for some time, getting excited about the release of this fine-looking game. Today after much anticipation I installed the demo which seemed to go well, set up a Gamespy account and prepared to enjoy. Of course, like basically everyone else I am unable to connect and play. I either get Unable To Connect or Expired Nickname or Please Wait for an eternity. I have tried the usual tweaks, even turning off the firewall which I should never have to do. I will not be installing Gamespy Arcade, since it is unclear if it is truly free of spyware, nor should I have to.

I cannot believe that any testing whatsoever went into the PC demo. I am sure Eidos believes that Xbox is a more lucrative market, and they may very well be right, but since they invested what I imagine is a significant amount of money into a PC version, it stands to reason that they would like to make at least some of that back.

It was a grave error to use Gamespy for matching, since Eidos has no control over what they do. I do not know if the problem is them or the game, and I can only spend so much time and energy on this problem.

I may continue to read the forum over the next few days to see if there is any real fix, but I am ready to be disappointed. I note Keir has been absent most of the day, possibly due to this debacle.

The magazines are constantly carping that PC gaming is dying. I do not think that is true, since many great games are out there and more still to come, but if it does happen, the developers and publishers will have done it to themselves.

Hoping for solutions, sadly I fear this game will fail in the PC market.

Rafterman82
27th Jan 2007, 01:34
use ur brain install GAMESPY ACTIVATE UR OLD ACCOUNT OR CREATE A NEW ONE, THEN UNINSTALL GAMESPY, (THERES NO SPYWARE) THEN LOG IN WOOOOHOOO, its that simple, OR u could write a long post about how dissappointed u r, wen in reality for a 20th of the time it took u to write that u could hav got a gamespy ID and started playing, aaaahhhh well ur loss

ps battlefield 2 uses gamespy as a backbone, if i remember correctly that was one of the worst selling games around???? LOL

at the end of the day is more sensible for a dev/publisher to outsource multiplayer connectivity alot of them do it its cheap than running ur own racks and bandwidth

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 01:39
Sir, I may very well end up doing that, but I shouldn't have to which is really the point. Do you think when they sat down to design the game they said. "Hmmm, the best way to register would be for nothing to work properly until the user downloads a separate program which we don't mention so they have to look it up on the forum, installs it, then uninstalls it and then they can (maybe) play the game." Then all the other devs declare, "Brilliant! That is so easy for the millions of people who can't even set their VCR clock. We shall all be RICH!"

Why not just fix the broken item?

Rafterman82
27th Jan 2007, 01:44
but u shouldnt hav to use microsoft windows, u shouldnt hav to use directx9, u shouldnt have to use securom copy protection, if you want to keep your pc so tidy why is it even on the net, theres alot of stuff uhav to use, and as time goes there will be more, games will start requiring NET 2.0 framework which is another 4 processes which will slow down your machine more than installing then uninstalling gamespy which by the way takes 1 minute, u want to play games without getting the annoyed gut feeling that it wont work then listen to what people tell you, instead of making post where by your predict the future sales of the game, and i know you cant do that, and i also know that you are not going to be the typical consumer which buys this game

and TBH mate, the game ISNT even out yet

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 01:52
Ah, but I have followed your kind suggestion and it still does not help, although now I am getting a whole different set of errors, such as it not liking any of my name choices since it will not accept my current account. I have burned through several email addresses trying to even register. Again, the point is not how to get my particular system on line, which is important only to me, but why is it so difficult for so many to do it themselves?

Rafterman82
27th Jan 2007, 01:54
have u logged into gamespy wen u installed it? did u fill in ur details, then did u load BS:M?

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 01:58
Yes, and I continue to get "Nickname Error."

Rafterman82
27th Jan 2007, 01:59
simple explantation of why people like you (sorry to be condesending) cant get it working and people like me get in working first time is because i know what i am doing (and my PC is clean of any crap) and i can network, and the majority dont, so all we can do is read the forums and help anyone we find, its boring and annoying hence the lack of politeness whilst conducting technical support

you also need to port forward the ports in the readme on your router if you have one

also create a new nickname with a new email address in gamespy, then if that doesnt work format the hard drive and install linux

MDFMac
27th Jan 2007, 02:04
you do not have to install gamespy.. never have on any game out there and you will never have to ever!!!!. the problems are something else. i am able to log in but when i join a game it shuts off my internet.

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 02:09
I also can network, have been doing so for many years, have a very clean computer (as far as any of us really know), the machine was pulled off the router to see if that would make a difference and yet it does not. I do appreciate your time, but there is no call for any insults over what is in reality a fairly minor thing.

The problem is not likely to be my machine, or my connection to the network, since it communicates just fine with accursed Gamespy, but does not like what it receives.

And why format when you can dual-boot?

Rafterman82
27th Jan 2007, 02:12
why would u ever dual boot if u had linux, if u move to linux, that means u done with windows ie ascended to a higher plain, linux heads dont hav time for microsoft

MDFMac
27th Jan 2007, 02:17
now that is funny.. kinda like the borg lol

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 02:29
The higher plane does not include much in the way of games, which is why we are all here.

Anyway, after making my fourth Gamespy profile I finally got in, to be confronted by the server browser where each server has a ping of either 2500 or 0, except none are "available at this time." Then just for laughs when trying to join, the game immediately crashes to the desktop. Hilarious fun!

Screw this, I think I'm done for the night.

Dyn
27th Jan 2007, 02:46
Hello,
i think the graphics from PC Version is much better as XBOX360.

But i hope, some good modders will bring a better soundeffects like motor sounds from planes and another fine feature.

A cockpitview is important too! :)

Ryback14
27th Jan 2007, 03:28
My friends, I have lurked here for some time, getting excited about the release of this fine-looking game. Today after much anticipation I installed the demo which seemed to go well, set up a Gamespy account and prepared to enjoy. Of course, like basically everyone else I am unable to connect and play. I either get Unable To Connect or Expired Nickname or Please Wait for an eternity. I have tried the usual tweaks, even turning off the firewall which I should never have to do. I will not be installing Gamespy Arcade, since it is unclear if it is truly free of spyware, nor should I have to.

I cannot believe that any testing whatsoever went into the PC demo. I am sure Eidos believes that Xbox is a more lucrative market, and they may very well be right, but since they invested what I imagine is a significant amount of money into a PC version, it stands to reason that they would like to make at least some of that back.

It was a grave error to use Gamespy for matching, since Eidos has no control over what they do. I do not know if the problem is them or the game, and I can only spend so much time and energy on this problem.

I may continue to read the forum over the next few days to see if there is any real fix, but I am ready to be disappointed. I note Keir has been absent most of the day, possibly due to this debacle.

The magazines are constantly carping that PC gaming is dying. I do not think that is true, since many great games are out there and more still to come, but if it does happen, the developers and publishers will have done it to themselves.

Hoping for solutions, sadly I fear this game will fail in the PC market.

i agree with most of your post, but dude, in order to play todays games, you need to drop close to 3grand on a pc, if not 2 grand in upgrades to your current pc every 2 years just to keep up. that's why it is dying. that's just too much money for most people to play games. i think it's easier just to drop $400 once and use the 360 for 3 years till the next gen. i loved pc games. i used to be a hardcore pc gamer. but gave it up due to cost and aggravation(i.e. cd keys, installation process, optimal performance settings etc....)

this doesnt give Developers the right to neglect PC gamers though.....

MDFMac
27th Jan 2007, 03:39
PC gameing will never die.. i cant and will not ever get another console. i grafs suck and the lack of buttons and what not suck.. lots more you can do with a key board and mouse. yes there is more problems, but thats the price you pay for performance.

NavalLord
27th Jan 2007, 03:55
Vengeance, you are absolutely right. I have been having the same problem all day. I try to use my existing GameSpy account, and it says it can't connect. I try to register through the game and I get this endless waiting screen. I registered another account through GameSpy Arena's page, and still it can't connect. There is something seriously wrong with either GameSpys connection to the game, or the game its self. I suspect the problem is with GameSpy because I have always been having problems with them (and so have lots of other people). I've given up for now. I was really looking forward to this game, but the lack of a working demo guarantees that I wont be buying it.

Ryback14
27th Jan 2007, 04:17
PC gameing will never die.. i cant and will not ever get another console. i grafs suck and the lack of buttons and what not suck.. lots more you can do with a key board and mouse. yes there is more problems, but thats the price you pay for performance.

i'm thinkin bout droppin like 4K:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_xpsdt_710?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I want a computer that will run Company of Heroes. Great game but ended up stuttering out on my rig.

MDFMac
27th Jan 2007, 04:40
thats insaine.. i build gameing computers for my guys in my guild and they cost at the most like 1800 for a really good one.. only get custom made..

MixedupJim
27th Jan 2007, 10:09
Just for the record, I've installed the PC demo and it worked straight off. Didn't install gamespy, I simply filled in the account creation form from within the game and went straight in.

I have to say, thats pretty slick. I was expecting to go to gamespy, install something from there. register on their website, THEN load the game, login and play.

Unfortnately, the game runs too slowly on my machine to be really playable (but the graphics were much sharper)...so back to the good ol' xbox360 :rasp:

MixedupJim
27th Jan 2007, 10:40
now, now.

I'm sure all of us PC users can get along just fine. Its always funny how we seem to turn on each other if one of us encounters a problem or can't get something to work.

We all encounter problems sometimes, so lets be nice and help out, or if we can't help out then lets just be nice :) .

Sometimes, games just won't on a PC :mad:

But I'm guessing you've done all the usual checks for new graphics card drivers etc, dropped all your firewalls and switched off virus checking etc, dropped your sound acceleration etc just to see if it will run at all.

I know the problem seems to lie with logging into gamespy, but you never know :D

Keir
27th Jan 2007, 12:29
Vengeance, I'm going to forward this thread (and others) to the dev team to see if they can be of any assistance.

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 13:40
i dont see how the fact Vengence is too stupid to get a game working even when instructed how to will hurt sales

That's actually my whole point (and I'll ignore the gratuitous personal insult for the sake of getting that point across) - I'm not claiming to be a computer genius but I've been doing this since C64 days and I've been able to handle autoexec.bat, separate boot disks, extended memory managers, etc. up to the more modern problems of drivers and firewalls and I still can't get it to work. Like I said, the problem is not me personally (especially since I am making some slow progress towards running the game), the problem is all those thousands of people without my experience and initiative to seek out solutions (even though for some reason I get abused for it) who will see the box cover art and buy the game only to find that it requires undocumented finagling even to log in, let alone play. Perhaps the full game's single player mode will at least let them get their feet wet, but here we are among the supposedly hardcore and it seems like half can't get it to work. Can you tell me that the demo appears well-tested? It seems more like a beta.

Keir, thank you for your assistance. I really think the game sounds great and I hope some of these problems can be solved. I also appreciate you not calling my intellect, heritage, genital size and fashion sense into question like my comrades above.

mirkop
27th Jan 2007, 15:07
I'm with you Vengeance, a 100%. After endless hours of trying different things, I have been able to login, occasionally join a server but when I select a spot in the game, 2 things happen:

1. Connection is lost

or

2. Crashes to the desktop

Not sure whose problem it is, could be mine and that of a bunch of other stupid ones but I'm having serious doubts whether I'll buy this game until I or the developers make it easier. I have played many online games and this is by far the worst and most frustrating experience so far.

antiSniper07
27th Jan 2007, 18:23
I'm with you Vengeance, a 100%. After endless hours of trying different things, I have been able to login, occasionally join a server but when I select a spot in the game, 2 things happen:

1. Connection is lost

or

2. Crashes to the desktop

Not sure whose problem it is, could be mine and that of a bunch of other stupid ones but I'm having serious doubts whether I'll buy this game until I or the developers make it easier. I have played many online games and this is by far the worst and most frustrating experience so far.

I see you didn't buy Battlefield 2142. These problems are minute compared to that farce. Most of these problems are easy work-around's, there are a horde of posts with good information to getting up and running. I suspect this demo was downloaded 25,000 times. Do you see 25,000 individual complaints?

What you see is a handful of people having issue's. I would be willing to bet it's a small fraction of the people that got it to work. Give them some time, it will all work out. For those of you who give up and don't purchase the retail, your really missing out on a very Unique Game. :)

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 18:25
PC gamers...............LEARN TO USE A PC. If you cant be bothered to learn to use a PC, then buy an X-Box.

I see this in every game I buy. People complaining the game is "broken" when in fact it is their knowledge of PC's thats broken.

mirkop
27th Jan 2007, 18:52
I see you didn't buy Battlefield 2142. These problems are minute compared to that farce. Most of these problems are easy work-around's, there are a horde of posts with good information to getting up and running. I suspect this demo was downloaded 25,000 times. Do you see 25,000 individual complaints?

What you see is a handful of people having issue's. I would be willing to bet it's a small fraction of the people that got it to work. Give them some time, it will all work out. For those of you who give up and don't purchase the retail, your really missing out on a very Unique Game. :)

Handfull, my a%^. Out of those 25000, how many do you think managed to even get into the server? Every time I log in, there are only a handful of games. I did everything that was suggested - DMZ, port forwarding, gamespy arcade and what not. Still kicks me out of the games even though ping is about 100-200. No, I didn't play BF2142. If single player is good enough, I may still end getting the game but so far it has been a disaster.

NavalLord
27th Jan 2007, 18:54
Well I finally got it working, but it was by sheer luck. GameSpy confuses me like no other.

Now that I've got it working, I'm very disappointed to see that it doesn't work with the Saitek X52 joystick. I'm now stuck with flying with my mouse, which is annoying as hell.

mirkop
27th Jan 2007, 18:56
PC gamers...............LEARN TO USE A PC. If you cant be bothered to learn to use a PC, then buy an X-Box.

I see this in every game I buy. People complaining the game is "broken" when in fact it is their knowledge of PC's thats broken.

FYI I rarely if ever have been unable to play a game that I wanted to play. So far I'm failing against this one. Spare me the condescending tone and labels such as "LEARN to bla bla bla". A great game should work right out of the box and be foolproof unless the real goal of the game is to bestow bragging rights on the user - "See how great I am, I managed to get it running, I'm THE MAN".

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 19:06
Yeah, a game should work right out of the box ON MILLIONS OF DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS. You realize how silly that statement is right?

Most of the time the issue is someone trying to use a 20 year old hard drive, or has video card drivers from the 90's or something to that effect. Yes, rarely there is an actual conflict/issue with a game, but that isnt the case here.

When plenty of people are playing, and you cant,.....its YOUR problem, not the games. If it were an issue with the game, well nobody would be playing would they?

The problem people are having is GAMESPY.

You must open quite a few different ports to get gamespy to allow you to register or connect. Learn to use your router and read the readme.

Bad or expired nicknames are one of two things..... people having old names which have characters that arent allowed, or incorrect account info. I couldnt use my old gamespy name because it had an underscore in it. I registered a new one, no problem, and have been playing with no problems except for lag,.... which is usually people hosting with machines or connections that cant handle hosting.

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 19:09
Ok, reading your post and the problems you are having..

You can connect to games, with a ping of less than 200, but ALWAYS get kicked out.

So how long do you manage to stay in game before you get kicked out, how bad is the lag while you are in, and exaclty what message does it give when you are kicked?

mirkop
27th Jan 2007, 19:19
Ok, reading your post and the problems you are having..

You can connect to games, with a ping of less than 200, but ALWAYS get kicked out.

So how long do you manage to stay in game before you get kicked out, how bad is the lag while you are in, and exaclty what message does it give when you are kicked?

I get kicked out when I try to select a slot in the game, never actually make it INTO the game. Sometimes I even don't get into the game setup screen, it's about 50% success rate so far. Yes, I do know how to port forward, and I did activate the gamespy account, thanks for the tip but I'm really not that bad of an user.

4200 X2, 2gb, SATA2 250GB, 7900GS 256 - the components are 1 month old, I doubt it there are incompatible but you never know.

imnotcanadian
27th Jan 2007, 19:21

Knowing how to use a PC doesn't dictate if your computer crashes to desktop when you try to host and/or join a game..among many other times it crashes. Gamespy is one problem...but only on the part of people not being able to log in. My computer meets OPTIMUM specs...and yet I've only been able to join 30 or so odd games....15 (give or take a few) of which crashed in the lobby,and 5 of which crashed midgame. I think I've completed 6 games,which were a blast.

There was a few occasions I was playing 3vs1 and got the enemy down to their last shipyard,while i still had both my airfields and shipyards,and the host said "This is enough"....but with more words....and quit.

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 19:27
Ok, you can play...... I think the biggest problem you are having is people hosting that probably shouldnt be, as in their machine cant handle it.

If their machine or thier connection cant handle hosting, the game will lag, crash etc.

And dont forget, some people wont actually quit, they will just unplug their internet connection, so people will think they just lost connection, instead of knowing they quit.

mirkop
27th Jan 2007, 19:33
I also tried hosting a game, this time it allowed me to select a slot, click READY but then a few seconds later lost connecting with a message "challenge value from the master server not received" or something like that. :mad2:

ScottWAR
27th Jan 2007, 19:46
ROFL,......sorry, but I think your PC is cursed. Maybe voodoo........

Seriously though, it sounds like your PC does not like communicating with gamespy for some reason.

If other online games work with no problem, see if you have a game that can connect through gamespy. See if it has the same problems if you try to connect through gamespy.

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 19:51
There continues to be a great deal of vitriol in the forum, probably due to frustration. It is still unclear whether the game is at fault or gamespy itself. Hopefully not the game, and we can at least enjoy single-player for a time. I don't pretend to be a networking expert, but couldn't a master server list be maintained on an old P3 in the Epic break room? The actual games don't need to be centrally hosted but maybe we could ditch this Gamespy nonsense?

aircad
27th Jan 2007, 20:04
It took me 30 minutes to finally get in to play, then I realize no one ever bothered to include a list of commands in the game folders! I had to leave to come here to figure out all the controls. I'm starting out thinking theres a tutorial or help guide, I was lucky to actually hit `T' by accident to get help! LOL

I see it like this, if the game is also made for consoles (I presume) you dont even have to go thru all this gamespy and log in and account details do you? Many players are kids, you all ought to know better than to brag on who does or doesnt know `How To' get the game working. Most (but not all) 14 year olds arent gonna know squat on how to get this thing running. Your scaring potential cutomers away because you make it too complicated!

The demo should have included a key mapping/commands file to print on your own PC and it should `Self Install' right into the game! Having to use someone like Gamespy is lame IMO. Heck I have an account, but my other games `Remember me'! Now I gotta go dig thru notes to find one of my names and passwords, only to try a game I might not like?

You wont hook players for the long run by creating problems in trying to play a demo in this fashion! We shouldnt need Gamespy for the demo....

Im not ranting, its too much effort to go thru! Post or include a `Step-by-step' guide for the average person to understand. You spent plenty of time writting about system specs and controllers, spend just alittle bit more on what most people NEED to get `hooked'! :rasp:

GR34
27th Jan 2007, 21:03
use ur brain install GAMESPY ACTIVATE UR OLD ACCOUNT OR CREATE A NEW ONE, THEN UNINSTALL GAMESPY, (THERES NO SPYWARE) THEN LOG IN WOOOOHOOO, its that simple, OR u could write a long post about how dissappointed u r, wen in reality for a 20th of the time it took u to write that u could hav got a gamespy ID and started playing, aaaahhhh well ur loss

ps battlefield 2 uses gamespy as a backbone, if i remember correctly that was one of the worst selling games around???? LOL

at the end of the day is more sensible for a dev/publisher to outsource multiplayer connectivity alot of them do it its cheap than running ur own racks and bandwidth

every one has bf2 its a decent game 2142 owns it thow. any way iam getting the demo now and if its crap well screwthis game then

ByDesign
27th Jan 2007, 22:04
After dealing with hours of failed download this is bad. The funny thing is I don't even have login problem. It locks up yes, the controls are poor as well. I knew this would be an arcade game but based on the review I had hope that it would still be fun. This one is for the Xbox crowd.

PC games are on the decline because we don't like spend 2k on a PC and play a poorly ported versions of a games so game company can pad their funds.

Thanks for releasing the demo at least I wont be wasting my money.

aircad
27th Jan 2007, 22:06
every one has bf2 its a decent game 2142 owns it thow. any way iam getting the demo now and if its crap well screwthis game then

I dont think `Everyone has BF2' but there are alot of players! I'm finally beginning to see that most of these games are alike! You need team work, a good understanding of the game and some luck! Most dont realize that deep in the game code is a simple logic that will either give you victory or defeat. I wished the games of today had more `AI' in your own decision making, to determine a realistic oucome. If you dont have a team with some common knowledge and experience, you are simply waisting your time!

Examples, I play a game and join a side (unaware that my team player ratings as a whole are more from how much they play than how good they really are)

I join a squad (In BF2) but these good players dont chat or use voice, so were all really individuals instead of a team. They do what they want, and you either follow them and hope to learn and succeed, or just get pwned!

Next we have lag, `I shot him 5 times before he shot me once', yet I die and he lives! Then we have the team player going in the opposite direction of the battle or squatting to hide from being killed, so you die and he just lays there!

Lets not forget the games like, `Noobs welcome' in which you are slaughtered by veterans that tell you its `Good Practice'!

No offense to this game, but somethings gotta change. I often like single player games more than multiplayer games, because your only downfall is the intelligence of the AI! The bad side of single player games is you cant communicate with anyone! LOL

I've witnessed hundreds of players in games that cant even get to the objective, much less accomplish it when they arrive!

I guess I'm either getting bored, or expect more from game developers in general. I did like my brief play with Battlestations, even though it took awhile to get in a game, then didnt have a clue what to do! :rasp:

My first idea of what this game was about, based on all the videos and screenshots, was that I would join a team and play as a member with a certain task, but (confused) it appears I deploy my own team to encounter the enemy, then hop into any of those positions during the battle?

Vengeance
27th Jan 2007, 22:52
Just some followup, I finally got a game going - and it was great as predicted. It took several connection problems, a couple of crashes to desktop, but I had a very enjoyable game where I got my butt handed to me but at least got to try it. Of course, I was not able to do this on my game computer that I have struggled with for 24 hours. I used a laptop with a wireless connection that is not supposed to work and has only a trackpad and a small screen with a crap graphics card. You know what? The game is really a lot of fun. Please fix the connection problems and mysterious CTDs and you'll have a winner.

I'd still recommend sprucing up the demo a bit - it was truly grueling to get this far and if I hadn't tried this experiment I wouldn't be contemplating using my EBGames gift certificate on your behalf.

Seclude
27th Jan 2007, 23:25
i agree with most of your post, but dude, in order to play todays games, you need to drop close to 3grand on a pc, if not 2 grand in upgrades to your current pc every 2 years just to keep up. that's why it is dying. that's just too much money for most people to play games. i think it's easier just to drop $400 once and use the 360 for 3 years till the next gen. i loved pc games. i used to be a hardcore pc gamer. but gave it up due to cost and aggravation(i.e. cd keys, installation process, optimal performance settings etc....)

this doesnt give Developers the right to neglect PC gamers though.....

$800 for a high end system.
Core 2 Duo
Radeon X1950
MSI Platinum 975x Express Mobo
2GB Corsair PC6400 DDR2800 512x4 ram.

Prices go higher if you buy a new pc, you're better off recycling harddrives, cd/dvd roms. etc.

mirkop
28th Jan 2007, 01:15
Just some followup, I finally got a game going - and it was great as predicted. It took several connection problems, a couple of crashes to desktop, but I had a very enjoyable game where I got my butt handed to me but at least got to try it. Of course, I was not able to do this on my game computer that I have struggled with for 24 hours. I used a laptop with a wireless connection that is not supposed to work and has only a trackpad and a small screen with a crap graphics card. You know what? The game is really a lot of fun. Please fix the connection problems and mysterious CTDs and you'll have a winner.

I'd still recommend sprucing up the demo a bit - it was truly grueling to get this far and if I hadn't tried this experiment I wouldn't be contemplating using my EBGames gift certificate on your behalf.

I'm tempted to try it on my work laptop as my gaming pc doesn't have wireless. But I'll wait a little more to see if they come up with something.

Rafterman82
28th Jan 2007, 12:37
ITS NOT OUT YET, HOW CAN THEY TEST IT UNLESS THEY RELEASE A DEMO????, THE DEVS ARE WATCHING YOUR POSTS IF THEY WANT SUCESS THEY WILL FIX IT, you need to chill out and stop expecting the world handed to you on a plate, if your having LAG issues, check the attenuation on your router, as well reduce the packet size to 1400ish, check you port forwarding again and again and again, check your IP, check your forwards are going to your IP,

What ever that Scot guy said he is right, they have to make software run on a silly amount of diff configs, now im sure if you were a dev and you knew the task ahead of you, you really wouldnt like heads on a forums bashing THE GAME before it released, a demo allows them to iron out issues, or they will release a manditory patch after release, if they do I dont care, and nor will any gameplayer like me, because we install patches all the god damn time as well diff bits of software to get the most functionality out of our games.

but this game has attracted a sizable "older" crowd, and the problem here in my expirence (of fixing so many PC's i cant remember) is that they are over paranoid, and dont use the tools around them, most older peeps i know who have PC's will undoubtably have so much anti virus and anti spyware privacy protection, all this type of software will cause issues if you want to have glorious gaming, all you need is Spybot S & D (free), AVG(small free antivurs) and IE7 im sure if half of you having problems, could get around it by removing Norton or MCfee or god help you panda, then you will find everthing we be fine. Its a sad fact that if you run a clean machine and its used by someone who knows everything about what they are inevitbly doing then they will most likely be playing BS:M right now, like i am.

Vengeance
28th Jan 2007, 13:17
Beta vs. Demo, my friend. The game is probably done, discs burned and packaged. What people get in the stores is presumably what we are seeing now. They will struggle as we did. In time these problems will be ironed out, as you say, but would it not have been better to have them fixed before release?

It does seem that the majority of problems are Gamespy related, so server-side fixes not dependent on the customer's side are probably what is necessary, and it may all work out well. I think we will all agree that that is the best outcome.

And I hope the devs DO want to hear the "bashing" since after working for years they want their product to work well and be enjoyed and purchased by as many people as possible. I don't see much in the way of negative feelings about the game itself, once people are playing; it is mostly getting it to run. After that the feelings seem quite uniformly positive, a testament to good design. Technical problems can always be fixed, but they need to know what they are!

Capt:.Cavan
28th Jan 2007, 13:50
Right after all my complaining, I have managed to get maybe half a dozen games which have been the best experience playing against other people, the "brain power" need to play is hard :lol:

Anyway during all my games there has been the message High Latency when you lost control of your units and firing options but it comes back and planes fly under water :scratch:

Anyway at most there has been 8 servers up at most, and the amount of people who must have downloaded this game that isnt good, Gamespy needs to sort itself out now, there must be thousands of people not able to play.

Anyway, Edios, if the full game has no glitches then in my view its game of the year, even with halo 3 on its way

snipurs
28th Jan 2007, 16:05
Wow Vengeance am going to Salute you for the amount of flame your received from a bunch of 12 year olds and still standing and just wiping it off you shoulder.

Any way I agree with you Vengeance, Even though I solved my problem. It still took me a little time to found out what I had to do.

list of problems
1. I have a insider account to game spy/ign/file planet ect. Yet it still gave me screen name error galore. Once i installed game spy arcade as a hunch, logged in then started the game it worked..... Why in the hell would i start a program that doesn't even support the demo, the problem here is game spy.

2. I had to open port 6500 For the game to work. For someone who has never opened there router function and did a port forwarding is going to be impossible to figure out. The average PC player really doesn't go that extra length to figure problems out. A lot of people don't have the patience that other do. So they just give up and move along. I tried to get this demo to work it took me from 2pm to 7pm after a hour brake in the middle.

I my self and many other people have talked about that the game lacks a game lobby as well. Even Star craft's Battle.net is better game lobby and multilayer game handling then game spy.That being said. I enjoyed the game once you get the gripe and complaining aside I played this game all day.

This game is a winner I will buy it. But like Vengeance said if we as a community group don't express our opinions and complaints how are the Dev's going to know what they did wrong?

<S> Vengeance

Harvest4
29th Jan 2007, 04:16
"Anyway at most there has been 8 servers up at most, and the amount of people who must have downloaded this game that isnt good, Gamespy needs to sort itself out now, there must be thousands of people not able to play."

I believe that the only servers you are able to see are those that haven't started the game yet. You can only see the games that either need more players to start or are waiting with full players and are greyed out. Once the game starts that server disappears from view. There are a hell of a lot more than 8 servers.

Col.Falcon
29th Jan 2007, 07:42
Ok, there is no need to call names or anything like that. I'm been running my own Computer Sales and repair Business for over 12 years now and have had to deal with a lot of problems like what people are having with this game.
I'm more than happy to try to help anyone here to get online and play. This Game is Fun, Yes it might have bugs but tell me what game hasn't had bugs even console games.
1: Make sure that no other programs are using you Net connection
2: Open the ports in your router. (DMZ can be Dangerous) and I don't recommend this option
3: Turn of DHCP in your modem or at least set your PC IP to Static. (if your not sure on how to do this PM me or post here and I will include detailed Instructions on how to do this.
4: Take a deep Breath and hope for the Best.

Col.Falcon

ChrisUK27
29th Jan 2007, 11:26
I see lots of complaints about how they get poor connection, gamespy problems...but theres some of us out there that dont even get that far. I click on the icon and thats it the game fails! :mad2:

chip5541
29th Jan 2007, 11:29
what are your specs and do you have any programs running in teh background like Norton?

ChrisUK27
29th Jan 2007, 11:56
what are your specs and do you have any programs running in teh background like Norton?

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
1.00 GB of RAM
Windows XP Pro version 2002 service pack 2
Nvidia 5700FX 256meg gcard

I have nothing running in the background, my virus checker is AVG and im already using gamespy 2.0. Are people launching the game via gamespy or clicking the icon? so far after installing 4 times it doesnt work and theres no mention of gamespy at the stage when it fails.

chip5541
29th Jan 2007, 13:24
When you installed the demo did you let it install Dirx 9.0c?

ChrisUK27
29th Jan 2007, 13:50
When you installed the demo did you let it install Dirx 9.0c?

yeah the install window stays open and the direct x window opens, i select the run option and it installs whats needed (ive already got direct x 9c) then it finishes say its ready to run (although no mention of restart your computer??) when i click finish the main install window closes and the window opens with the two options of readme and run demo, if i leave both ticked the readme opens and nothing else, if i close it and click on the icon it fails and if i leave the run demo ticked nothing happens :mad2:

Ive also noticed in the folder the icon for starting the game has no picture - ie its just the blue box? also when i right click on it theres an option called launch analysis? details below...

This test program has been developed with your personal interest in mind to check for possible hardware and/or software incompatibility on your PC. To shorten the analysis time, system information is collected (similar to Microsoft's msinfo32.exe program).
Data will be compared with our knowledge base to discover possible hardware/software conflicts. Submitting the log file is totally voluntary. The collected data is for evaluation purposes only and is not used in any other manner.

Your Support Team

Do you want to start?

I click yes...

The information was successfully collected and stored to the following file:

"C:\AnalysisLog.sr0"

Please forward this file to support@securom.com.

whos that?

ScottWAR
29th Jan 2007, 14:09
securom is copy protection, IF I am thinking of the right thing, and many people have had problems with it in the past.

However, it shouldnt be causing a problem with the demo.......................

EDIT- I'm not sure, but looking at it on my PC, it doesnt really appear to be what I was thinking.

ChrisUK27
29th Jan 2007, 14:22
securom is copy protection, IF I am thinking of the right thing, and many people have had problems with it in the past.

However, it shouldnt be causing a problem with the demo.......................

EDIT- I'm not sure, but looking at it on my PC, it doesnt really appear to be what I was thinking.

ok meaning what exactly? besides that was just something i noticed. btw do you have the same issue with the icon in the main folder? bit weird that but the one on the desktop is a normal pic

ScottWAR
29th Jan 2007, 14:30
No, I have no idea on this one. I remember a cd protection program that was called securom or something very similiar. Thats what I thought when I saw th e-mail address. However, since this is a demo, I cant really see it being cdprotection. It appears to be an info collecting program that collects hardware configuration..... ie processor type, hardrive, RAM, video card etc.. to be used to determine compatibility issues.

Mike_B
29th Jan 2007, 14:36
These days demo's are protected by copy protections as well.

ChrisUK27
29th Jan 2007, 14:40
ok but back to the problem of it not running 'at all'...any ideas?

I can run games like battlefield 2142 no problems, i did have and issue with the latest age of empires 3 something to do with amd chips and SSE support or something??

obviously all help gratefully received

NavalLord
29th Jan 2007, 21:42
These days demo's are protected by copy protections as well.

Why?

I think I've hit the last straw with this game. Every other game it's FUBAR'd, planes flying in and out of the water, not being able to control the ship. The joystick problem is just absurd. I have a really good joystick and I can't use it at all. This game doesn't remember my controls. Every time I start it up it switches my mouse y axis. I don't want it inverted! Leave it alone! Now when I tried setting it, it set one to Num 4 and the other to N/A. Wtf?! By moving my mouse up, that some how correlates to Num 4? The the subs are annoying beyond anything. I send my planes to depth charge them, and it goes under water and my planes just fly away. There is no way to destroy them unless you get a teammate to send a ship over. And that idea is laughable. I've never once had a teammate send a ship over to help protect the carriers. I'm not going to rant on about how stupid teammates are, because Eidos can't help that. GameSpy is a whole other issue. They are absolute crap, simply put. The server browser is also horrible. It feels unresponsive, and isn't user friendly at all. Actually being able to join a server is a feat worthy of a medal. There are some serious issues that make this game unplayable for me. Hopefully they will be fixed, but with my experience with other game companies, I doubt they will.

Iron Sound
29th Jan 2007, 22:46
I'm having a problem with what appears to be Gamespy accounts.

I have created multiple accounts and usernames, still I receive the "invalid id/nickname" sort of error.

I've had a Gamespy account for years (hardly used it) - what the hell is the problem here!?

I have tried disabling my firewall, not much difference.

When I tried LAN the game just locked up. Only tried that once...

Not a good start, I'm tempted to uninstall the demo, wait for reviews, then check the patch status a month after launch.

If there is a 500-ish meg patch in this time THAT IS SERIOUSLY WEAK!
I've been looking forward to this game for YEARS, and will be supportive of it for a long time.

However, I will not tolerate lazy or rushed releases. If it's not fit to be released, don't release it, simple!

aircad
29th Jan 2007, 22:50
I had an invalid account error also, but after trying it 3 times, then it worked?

I hope to try to play again and report back tonight..........

Iron Sound
29th Jan 2007, 22:54
15+ times on 2 accounts and multiple user names. No dice.

Please tell me how it went for you, aircad.

airguard79
29th Jan 2007, 23:17
Sir, I may very well end up doing that, but I shouldn't have to which is really the point. Do you think when they sat down to design the game they said. "Hmmm, the best way to register would be for nothing to work properly until the user downloads a separate program which we don't mention so they have to look it up on the forum, installs it, then uninstalls it and then they can (maybe) play the game." Then all the other devs declare, "Brilliant! That is so easy for the millions of people who can't even set their VCR clock. We shall all be RICH!"

Why not just fix the broken item?

Oh my god you mean the devs are those guys from the GUINESS commercials....BRILLIANT...

airguard79
29th Jan 2007, 23:19
Why?

I think I've hit the last straw with this game. Every other game it's FUBAR'd, planes flying in and out of the water, not being able to control the ship. The joystick problem is just absurd. I have a really good joystick and I can't use it at all. This game doesn't remember my controls. Every time I start it up it switches my mouse y axis. I don't want it inverted! Leave it alone! Now when I tried setting it, it set one to Num 4 and the other to N/A. Wtf?! By moving my mouse up, that some how correlates to Num 4? The the subs are annoying beyond anything. I send my planes to depth charge them, and it goes under water and my planes just fly away. There is no way to destroy them unless you get a teammate to send a ship over. And that idea is laughable. I've never once had a teammate send a ship over to help protect the carriers. I'm not going to rant on about how stupid teammates are, because Eidos can't help that. GameSpy is a whole other issue. They are absolute crap, simply put. The server browser is also horrible. It feels unresponsive, and isn't user friendly at all. Actually being able to join a server is a feat worthy of a medal. There are some serious issues that make this game unplayable for me. Hopefully they will be fixed, but with my experience with other game companies, I doubt they will.

Ummmmmm its a DEMO people it is not a finished product....So many babies come in here crying for a demo everyday.... They get one out to you and everyone and there mother comes in to bash it. As consumers we are not owed anything but the finished product we pay for. To judge a product on a FREE trial version is just well for lack of a better word STUPID..

mwilson7
29th Jan 2007, 23:23
I've got to say that I'm very happy with the demo! As someone who's been out of online gaming for a few years things have sure changed! Except for the server issues once I'm in the game I can only think of one game out of the 25+ games that I've played where I've had an issue and it was high latency for about 5 seconds.

The game can be VERY frustrating when you're playing with a bunch of noobs but quite fun when you have people who know what they're doing. If you get two people who work together with either the airfield or carriers it's pretty tough to beat them.

GREAT JOB ON THE GAME GUYS!

NavalLord
30th Jan 2007, 00:00
Why?

I think I've hit the last straw with this game. Every other game it's FUBAR'd, planes flying in and out of the water, not being able to control the ship. The joystick problem is just absurd. I have a really good joystick and I can't use it at all. This game doesn't remember my controls. Every time I start it up it switches my mouse y axis. I don't want it inverted! Leave it alone! Now when I tried setting it, it set one to Num 4 and the other to N/A. Wtf?! By moving my mouse up, that some how correlates to Num 4? The the subs are annoying beyond anything. I send my planes to depth charge them, and it goes under water and my planes just fly away. There is no way to destroy them unless you get a teammate to send a ship over. And that idea is laughable. I've never once had a teammate send a ship over to help protect the carriers. I'm not going to rant on about how stupid teammates are, because Eidos can't help that. GameSpy is a whole other issue. They are absolute crap, simply put. The server browser is also horrible. It feels unresponsive, and isn't user friendly at all. Actually being able to join a server is a feat worthy of a medal. There are some serious issues that make this game unplayable for me. Hopefully they will be fixed, but with my experience with other game companies, I doubt they will.Ummmmmm its a DEMO people it is not a finished product....So many babies come in here crying for a demo everyday.... They get one out to you and everyone and there mother comes in to bash it. As consumers we are not owed anything but the finished product we pay for. To judge a product on a FREE trial version is just well for lack of a better word STUPID..Ok, notice my last sentence there:

Hopefully they will be fixed, but with my experience with other game companies, I doubt they will.That is how I formed my opinion, because the demos are almost always the same as the final product.

It3llig3nc3
30th Jan 2007, 03:11
Very interesting topic to browse through.

I have to say I'm disappointed because of the tone and the approach I experienced here.
I understand that the multiplayer - connection issue is key for most of you.
Also I commented in another topic that the only bad decision from the developers was to release a MULTIPLAYER demo and not a single player one with one small map.
There are many games out there for PC where the internet browsing / network connection is always an issue.
To be honest the internet play did not work for me either. But there are several factors that can cause this. My firewall for example catched the executable trying to go on the internet - but this window remained hidden until I finally exited the game and come to realize that internet won't work until I allow the program to communicate.
After that ping and other issues prevented me from a successful connection - but that's part of the mistake - a demo that depends on a sever community is terrible.
Finally I installed it on two home PCs and played on LAN - for a tryout it was enough.
And here comes my point: the game itself is AWESOME!
A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Great visuals and if the campaigns are going to be nicely built it will put me front of the monitor for a long time. Just writing this off because of the troubled start would be a huge mistake. (watch the title of the topic!)

AND!!!!

don't forget that bugs and problems CAN BE FIXED through patches. We MUST give good faith credit to the developers on this BEFORE doubting them.

so be patient as this title worth the wait - at least in my opinion.

Mike_B
30th Jan 2007, 09:10
Why?

I believe it is because the demo exe is based on the same code as the final game. So they don't want to give pirates a headstart by releasing an unprotected file.

aircad
30th Jan 2007, 10:34
I connected without a problem and was impressed by the structure of the game. I think we need a general `Start up Guide' to explain in a few steps, how to get going. I dont like sitting there glancing at all the key commands and trying to figure out whats first!

I believe we hit shift to set up and deploy, but I get lost trying to switch to the map view, then jump in, etc. Can I deploy ships, set speed, then leave and jump in an airplane?

When I select a target and weapons, does my ship continue the battle when I leave it?

By default I believe the mouse is backwards and should be set to invert. I didnt get a chance to check the sensitivity adjustment but I presume its under controls. It acts weird when combined with the lag.

If anyone has some start-up info or pointers, please post them.

Thanks!

Keir
30th Jan 2007, 10:44
don't forget that bugs and problems CAN BE FIXED through patches. We MUST give good faith credit to the developers on this BEFORE doubting them.

so be patient as this title worth the wait - at least in my opinion.

I sent a pretty stinging summary of feedback on the demo (which probably didn't win me any friends :( ) but the dev team are looking at time lines and which issues they should tackle fist for a patch. I'll keep you all posted.

I connected without a problem and was impressed by the structure of the game. I think we need a general `Start up Guide' to explain in a few steps, how to get going. I dont like sitting there glancing at all the key commands and trying to figure out whats first!

An FAQ/Guide is on its way :thumbsup: I've got a meeting soon about this. Watch this space.

ChrisUK27
30th Jan 2007, 11:23
I sent a pretty stinging summary of feedback on the demo (which probably didn't win me any friends :( ) but the dev team are looking at time lines and which issues they should tackle fist for a patch. I'll keep you all posted.

An FAQ/Guide is on its way :thumbsup: I've got a meeting soon about this. Watch this space.

Good news, hope they fix it soon!

ErikNL
30th Jan 2007, 12:57

In awaitment of a FAQ/guide a quickstartguide for carriers:
forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=65099

pchees
30th Jan 2007, 13:02
Hi.

Have not been able to get the demo working at all and have decided to leave it until the proper game is out

although it is frustrating not to be able to play, i have faith in the game and seeing the general reaction of people who have already played it, it will be worth the wait.

I am sure the developers are working on the connection issues and i hope the full version has better facilities.

I await in anticipation.

pchees

Iron Sound
30th Jan 2007, 14:50
I just hope Gamespy dies! :lol: :mad2:

Iron Sound
30th Jan 2007, 14:59
I've given up and uninstalled the demo.

I hope the main release is better than this.. :nut:

aircad
31st Jan 2007, 00:53
I tried to play tonight and logged in to play on 3 occasions! It is unfortunate that all I got was `High Latency' and the game froze while attempting to play. I could move my mouse to view all around, but nothing else was happening. On my first game attempt, I had the carrier and attempted to deploy 3 groups of fighters. The first plane would appear on the flight deck, fold down the wings, then the next would come up and the first would disappear. Heck I couldnt see them take off so I presume they were just vanishing!

First obvious problem, no one will enjoy the PC online version if players are trying to enter a game from all over the world! You need to get several servers and kick Hi Latency players before they can even attempt to play the game. Thats not a good call but unless you have a better idea, players close to a server will suffer just as bad as the distant one! I've BETA tested for numerous games, recently War Rock, which has the same problems. I dont like Punkbuster but they will kick `High Ping' players from BF2 so others can enjoy the game!

This can be an awesome game but your gonna need to make decisions regarding PC players and the online environment. Introducing an awesome game like this, then subjecting demo players to horrendous lag wont cut the mustard. I'm not flaming, just concerned. Its probably too late to suggest single player missions with AI, but again I'm just voicing my opinion.

In my second attempt to play, it appeared we had 2 `Experts' and I somehow got kicked when I stated, `Please give guidance'! If were gonna start off like that, you can toss the online PC game experience out the window! What you'll get is a group of experts kicking beginner players with good internet connections, then another game full of Noobs kicking experienced players so they can finally win a battle! I'm already seeing games like `Noobs Only, or `Team speak Only' which is BS in my opinion for a demo!

There should not be any `Prejudice' or `Pre-requisites' in trying the demo out! The few of us that can actually get in a server to play, are now being subjected to `Qualifications' in order to proceed. Especially if your gonna allow lagging players!

What I see right now is an awesome game, with a horrible method of presentation. I suggested subservers in regions to Dream Execution and K2 (war rock) where the server runs a latency check, if OK the player proceeds to the main server, if latency is high, it is redirected to the subserver (within the mainframe) so lagging players can suffer together. The lag issue is one in which many players that buy the game will be extremely disapointed, unless a server network is set up to accomodate the traffic!

More to come....

Leadslinger
31st Jan 2007, 03:25
Ditto to what he said...I'm so F'n frustrated with this demo and not being able to even get past the F'n "cannot connect" pop up screen. With all the "problems posts" and not one response from any of the game designers is pretty sad as well. Eidos needs to fire thier marketing guru cause this "Demo" release is a debacle for PC game buyers....Hello! Demo's are for creating purchasers not turning them off.

If I didn't see any potential in design and the amazing artwork I would have scrubbed this turd off my HDD already..needless to say I'm gving it a few days to see what comes of the release, since I can't even get the demo to login.

BigPun
31st Jan 2007, 04:03
The teamspeak only game is to help with strat and it is a lot easier to talk to your team mates than type... If you don't like that type of style don't join that server. It brings a new level of strategy to the game using TS I don't see why your so against it there are plenty of other servers so just join one of those and stop crying about the server that requires TS..

aircad
31st Jan 2007, 10:24
The teamspeak only game is to help with strat and it is a lot easier to talk to your team mates than type... If you don't like that type of style don't join that server. It brings a new level of strategy to the game using TS I don't see why your so against it there are plenty of other servers so just join one of those and stop crying about the server that requires TS..

Not crying my friend, I saw 6 server games, 4 were full, and one is team speak.

Maybe if you want to play tonight and all the games say, `Ventrillo Only' or `X-fire only', you can just log off and wait around! This is a demo where all players that can `connect' should be able to play. We can worry about `In-game voice' at another time, dont you think?

I guess if I had `TS' and joined that game, I'm sure they would let me play with them, when all I could do was ask questions and learn about how the game works? TS to help with strategy sounds like a game of pre-seasoned veterans, that wouldnt let anyone else play there anyway.......

Iron Sound
31st Jan 2007, 12:04
good posts aircad ^^

ScottWAR
31st Jan 2007, 13:19
Maybe if you want to play tonight and all the games say, `Ventrillo Only' or `X-fire only', you can just log off and wait around!

Or, you could go download ventilo, or Xfire, and then find out how much better this game is when a team communicates.

I guess if I had `TS' and joined that game, I'm sure they would let me play with them, when all I could do was ask questions and learn about how the game works? TS to help with strategy sounds like a game of pre-seasoned veterans, that wouldnt let anyone else play there anyway..

Now you are making an assumption. Never assume............... Maybe they wanted people to have teamspeak so they could tell new people how to play without typing a 3 page essay every time a new player joins.......

Stickletodd
31st Jan 2007, 14:55
Actually, I think the problem is the AMD chip. The game is apparently optimized for INTEL. Most crashes I have seen are on AMD systems. BINK is the problem, really. Since AMD and INTEL use slightly different clocking, BINK is unable to function properly.

To quote from BINK:

There is a bug in the Windows system timer code when running on some AMD CPUs. The easiest way to work around it is to edit your c:\boot.ini file with Notepad, and add the switch "/usepmtimer" (without the quotes) onto the end of the Windows lines under the [operating systems] section, and then reboot.

That fixed the issue for me and I haven't had an issue since.

aircad
31st Jan 2007, 23:23
I'll also beat Teamspeak imposes more lag in the game, than without it. I have Xfire and it slows everything down when trying to run it at the same time. Join a game with a couple of lagging players, add a seperate voice program and your sure to have fun!

If Teamspeak is like Xfire (which I'm sure it is) you must notify others of the channel (or I.P.) that you are on, or send a request for them to join. I'd like to see me load TS blindly, then actually be able to play and communicate in the TS server game!

Anyways, enough of that, I'm sure the voice players are also testing the limits of gameplay as well.

I'm really thinking an online single player game with some AI would be the way to go, but if we dont have AI capabilities, then thats not possible. It would be kewl to start this game and explore the map, use all the resources, and get a handle on how to play, without getting whooped by someone with more experience, having to deal with lag, loosing connection, or being kicked! :rasp:

snoopey
1st Feb 2007, 00:42
anyone know when the patch is coming out?

Scikar
1st Feb 2007, 16:17
I'd just like to say that a lot of the lag is caused by people hosting games and not realising that their 256k upload is not enough to host an 8 player game while they chat away on Teamspeak as well. I simply don't bother joining a game with more than 100 ping. Ideally, organise games with people you know. Gamespy does indeed suck royally but the game itself is not particularly laggy in my experience. If it was the game then it would be laggy all the time, but I see very little lag at all with a good host. Ditching Gamespy and using a proper server browser would fix a lot of problems (since you'd be able to spot a bad host before joining).