PDA

View Full Version : how are u pc gamers enjoying the demo?

Zeus52
26th Jan 2007, 18:08
Just wondering for those that have actually been able to play it of what you think of the game.

Us 360 gamers are loving it. as u could see from the posts on this forum :D

Ryback14
26th Jan 2007, 18:15
Just wondering for those that have actually been able to play it of what you think of the game.

wow, look at all the problems they are having. i gave up pc gaming, it was too expensive and too many issues with games. i hope they all get to play, it's a great game!

BigPun
26th Jan 2007, 18:25
If we (or at least me and a few others) could get it to work I am sure we would have a blast with it but I think a lot of ppl are having problems getting into a game.....

OperationPhoenix
26th Jan 2007, 18:44
I just 'played' my first game..but the server I was on had a very high ping and it was like watching a slide show.

WTG with giving us a manual or at LEAST some tips on how to actually play the game,this was brilliant.

Other than that,once the learning curve is figured out somewhat,should be a great game.

Cardinalkev
26th Jan 2007, 18:49
It ran fine on my 360 guys........

Corvall
26th Jan 2007, 18:54
Glad to hear some PC users are getting on. As more people manage to overcome the technical hurdles, you will hopefully have more luck finding servers that you can have a better connection to. I've really had very little trouble with lag playing on the 360, but I've been letting it pick the hosts I connect to in order to get a better connection. When your lag and latency is low, the game is incredible. :^)

Corvall

arildsat
26th Jan 2007, 19:18
I run a Dell system with an nvidia 7900GTX video card, 2gigs of RAM and a Core2 Duo 2.16GHz. Should be ok? It isn't. Like someone else said, it is like watching a slide show. We're talking ~5fps. Internet connection? 6500/2000. Should ok, too. Isn't. 1/10 joined games gets to the point where the game starts :scratch:

Also, having no idea how to play doesn't help. Can't find any info on what buttons to press and what I need to do when someone starts bombing me. Most games at least let you esc to a menu where you can change/browse the controls. Or offer a training mission. :mad2:

Oh, and did I mention loads and loads of hangs? One crash so bad I had to pull the power cord? Loved that.

All in all, the trailers looked so, so sweet. Couldn't wait to sink my teeth in. Now, I can't imagine the slowness, the bugs, the crashes, the utter unintuitiveness of the interface, the network lags, the dropped connections, etc, etc, being fixed anytime soon. This, people of the Internet, is what is called a fixer-upper. Don't rush to buy. Wait a few months, at best, read reviews, then consider getting it, then download the patches.
But have a good connection. Because they will be huge. Huuuuge.

OperationPhoenix
26th Jan 2007, 19:22
I noticed a few hangs as well..seems like when you try to join a game,it freezes..but wait it out..seems like that is on the hosts end,seems like following the hang I get a 'host disconnected' error or something to that effect

YES It was all about just pushing buttons to find out whats going on..

I did discover that hitting the 't' button will bring up the ingame chat menu then hit 'tab' to close it.Somehow I managed to launch some ships from the shipyard.I have no idea how I did that.

spectre01
26th Jan 2007, 19:35
go to setting->controls... that's the first thing you should do when you play a brand new game!!! you really seem like a n00b to me, arildsat.

Capt:.Cavan
26th Jan 2007, 19:43
too me this demo is crap, laggy, crashing every time, i did manage to get one game but the guy kicked me anyway

i think that all the attention has been focused on the 360 demo, this demo is bad, worst i have ever played, i feel let down

arildsat
26th Jan 2007, 19:57
go to setting->controls... that's the first thing you should do when you play a brand new game!!! you really seem like a n00b to me, arildsat.

It is my good luck not to have to rely on your judgement, then. Of course, I am a n00b to this game. Although, no doubt, you will tell me you are not.

But in any case, I did not say that all the controls are completely unavailable, merely that my brain is so inferior that I cannot read through 6 pages of controls and then remember them all immediately. Usually (in most games) I find myself able to jump to a game screen where I can quickly take a peek at that crucial key I had forgotten. Not so here.

And, sometimes, games will even honour me, the buyer, by letting me go through some of the crucial mechanics (like designating targets for units) in a training game. But Eidos has infinite confidence in my ability to find all that out by merely sacrificing a black cockerell over my keyboard.

Tophat
26th Jan 2007, 20:11
I made it into a quick battle as the japanese,but Island Airfield was the only slot open for me. Not being able to open my readme file i was ill prepared for joining battle,but assumed my Jap partners would buy me some time.

So the situation is me: vainly trying to work every button and trigger on my 360 controller to get a response. Allies:Enterprise is bearing down on me and 2 allied warships are headed to the other jap Island.
Problem #1: No movement of Jap warships on the other Island....oh,crap i think he's in the same boat as i am! About 90 seconds later he drops! Yippie!

By this time i have figuredout on the keyboard to toggle from airfield view to map by hitting the tab key! Progress!!!!
By hitting shift or is it Enter? Now i'm not certain,but one of them bringsup my airgroups when I have airfield view selected!!! Now i'm getting somewhere,which is good because the BIG E is bearing down on me!

So quickly I launch Zeros,Kates and Judys with launch and attack command. I then click on a kate and hit Tab! Surprise i am in the Aircraft view!!! Whooohooo! My 360 controller isn't working but my mouse is and i can slide it around to change direction of the aircraft. I don't know how to launch weapons so i go back to mapview,choose a zero and watch. My kates and Judys attack and i loose my first Torpedo group! Great!!!

To make a long and rather frustrating story short i sank the Big E and got 1,yea just 1 Divebomber hit on the Renown I believe before both my airbases were toast! The guy who bailed had already had his shipyard blasted into an alternate universe so i lost! Game just crashed after that,I had wanted to see my score! I'd actually done something! There were no allied planes and I'm wondering if the carrier driver was as clueless as i was atfirst about the key commands!

I have now tried to get into 4 or 6 more quick battles and i keep getting connection Lost! CRAP!!!!!!!

Amit9821
26th Jan 2007, 20:22
3 words:

PORTED FROM X360

Cpt.sharp
26th Jan 2007, 20:29
i think its great, iave had a few hangs here and there, just ended a very long game. came right down to the wire. atm very good game.

ShadowDragoon
26th Jan 2007, 20:35
downloading the demo as we speak, less than 15 minutes more :). Hopefully my first game is a good one. (Will study controls before I join a game:D )

Amit9821
26th Jan 2007, 20:39
ya it is one of the best games i've ever played but its a real bumpy ride until u get into the game itself

Brainwaves
26th Jan 2007, 20:40
I am really enjoying the game, and i am almost certain that i will buy it!
It runs very smooth on my system with all settings at max.
A shame though, that a lot of guys have problems logging in on gamespy....

Amit9821
26th Jan 2007, 20:55
i glad that some1 else has the same experience as me, so u no the real potential of the game, not a screwed up demo

CreamyBlood
26th Jan 2007, 21:11
After jumping through a few hoops to get it running on W2K and opening a few ports on my router for gamespy (as the readme suggests) it runs just fine on my low-end system. The graphics look rather dated but that's to be expected from a console port and it doesn't really matter as I'm more interested in the gameplay rather than the eye candy.

The problem is, I have no idea what the game play is. There is no manual, no in-game tutorial and not even a two page description of game mechanics for what to do. The provided developer 'weblink' leads to a page under construction and the games homepage is an incredibly slow flash site with little more than a generic description of what the game is about, let alone how to play it.

I've analyzed the key bindings (several pages of them) but still am unsure as to what to do. I can control my ship and shoot but that's not a great help. It looks like this game has potential but I sometimes wonder why publishers will go to so much effort to port a console game, make a demo of it and yet be unable to provide a one or two page summary of how to actually play the game.

If anyone can enlighten me on where to find some sort of documentation on how the basic game mechanics work and what I'm supposed to do, I'd appreciate it. This game looks like it has great potential and spending half an hour writing up the basics would probably help thousands of confused gamers. Thanks.

Corvall
26th Jan 2007, 21:15
CreamyBlood, here's a developer walking through playing a mission in the game. He references the XBox 360 controls, but at least it should give you a general idea of what you should be doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0c9Sdofqg4

I hope this helps.

Corvall

CreamyBlood
27th Jan 2007, 12:29
Thanks man. Good overview. Now to find the docs....

a dutch alphawolf
27th Jan 2007, 16:08
sometimes the pc demo has some technical problems, but once you are playing you can't by angry with that anymore.. :D

antiSniper07
27th Jan 2007, 17:05

Personally, I love the game. Also looks like it is very easy to Mod, which translates into many Upgrade Vehicles and Maps. Can't wait for the retail. I hope they give us a better browser though, especially one that filters by Ping!

ChrisUK27
27th Jan 2007, 17:18
I tell you if it ever works! :mad2:

FC000
28th Jan 2007, 21:43
It sounds as though many of the issues being posted can be resolved by simply checking the ReadMe file, or exploring the in-game menus for control Keys. Most of the technical issues players are having, are related to their computers, or their network connection setups. How do we know this? The game runs fine for many on their PCs, including me... after I fixed some issues.

When I first installed the Demo, I too was experiencing issues with gamespy and connecting to games without crashing out. I checked the ReadMe for details on ports to forward, adjusted the firewall to allow BSMW to play online, and 5 minutes later was able to start up a game, and try it out with a few friends.

The Menu interface stalls can be avoided by using your arrow keys to navigate the menus. This is a result of the Console Menu Design left over from the 360 Version. Selecting servers with your mouse usually results in the game stalling, attempting to join, and failing to connect. You will not experience this problem if you select servers with the arrow and enter keys.

Browsing the Control settings can be daunting, but spending a few minutes going over these will save you headaches while playing online. Most of the control defaults are similar to many other games. W S A D for movement for example.

As for the lack of a Training Mission, I'm sure we'll be seeing one in the retail version... let's hope.

Freebo
28th Jan 2007, 21:48
I love it but shame there is a bug on mine that makes the demo unplayable..

zycore
28th Jan 2007, 21:53
Don't listen to all the people who are giving this game bad reviews. It looks great and plays smooth. No problems with graphics or game play .I played about 3 games this morning and it was a blast. I still need to learn all the controls and it took me awhile to figure out how to get online but after that is was all out WAR!

Great GAME! 5 Stars out of 5

Can't wait for my Pre-Order from EB games to get here.......ups Next Day Air~

antiSniper07
28th Jan 2007, 23:22
Selecting servers with your mouse usually results in the game stalling, attempting to join, and failing to connect. You will not experience this problem if you select servers with the arrow and enter keys.

Thanks, will give that a try.

Frey
29th Jan 2007, 07:58
I have found that I am unable to join any game unless I disable my software firewall (I don't have my router up right now).

If firewall disabled, then I can quickly join a game - I had a 45 min game today with no interruption whatsoever.

I was one of the US carriers, and managed to sink a BB with torp bombers and did some dogfight before we lost.

Overall, an incredible gaming experience, I will be buying this game on release.

Good job devs!!!

kwintone
29th Jan 2007, 12:44
LOVE IT!!! :D

i have been waiting a long time for this game, over a year, and the people at Eidos did not dissapoint. after downloading (which only took six minutes:eek: ), installation it took me an additional 20 minutes to set-up the demo for online play. this extra 20 minutes was annoying, however, i have been waiting for this game for over a year so all in all it was worth it to me.

since installation i have played over 30 matches ranging from 1x1 to 4x4. i have been dropped from the game lobby back to the main menu about 5-6 times, however, once i have started a game i have not been "dropped" or my computer has never CTD/frozen. i play with all of the video settings on max (with AA x4) and have had no lag during gameplay either (except the first 10-20 seconds of a round, which is normal for most online games). matchmaking was much faster than i expected, i can host or join a game in under a minute most of the time.

GREAT DEMO!

i have also spent many hours playing the Xbox 360 demo, enjoying HD gaming and surround sound on my couch. The 360 has a surprisingly good control scheme and with the vibrating controller has some added realism. between both demos i'm not sure which one i like the best. the PC graphics outshine the 360 and the control scheme is more adaptable.

one thing i notice so far....when playing on XBL i find myself playing with a lot of younger players. voice is nice on XBL, but not when it is a nine year old screaming, "YEAH....KAMIKAZEEEEEE" over and over and not playing the game. i think that the more 'mature' serious gamers will tend to play the PC version....

i'm running Dual 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 2x nVIDIA 7800 GTX KO (SLI)

Harvest4
29th Jan 2007, 17:36
I love this game aside form the server browser issue which I consider minor...though I do consider it serious in terms of getting other people to buy the game so I can have some competition...

I will buy this game the day it comes out I cannot wait!

Leadslinger
29th Jan 2007, 17:48
I'm pretty sure I might like it a lot...that is..if i ever am able to actually log in to a server and play it. :mad:

blaze10001
30th Jan 2007, 05:14
Brilliant game now i shall tell you a story.........

2 doors away my great friend tommy_gun94 hosted a match and he sure does loves those Battleships but then he stated firing at my carrier (2v2 match) and then firing at my sub so then i fired loadsa torps at his battleship and he quit the whole match :| hes gonna get a right kicking tomorrow :D

I play particularly low settings except medium textures but i don't dare to go further as my PC is crap and old and havent got any money for a new one i've got PCI cards with no AGP 4x neither :(

ahh well it's all about the gameplay which is brilliant thankyou eidos for removing me from my battlefield 2 days :D

Ibra
30th Jan 2007, 17:05
4 all u with control issues: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=64852

Ghiacciolo=ITA=
31st Jan 2007, 11:24
wow, look at all the problems they are having. i gave up pc gaming, it was too expensive and too many issues with games. i hope they all get to play, it's a great game!

If developers of this game are a bunch of hazzzhollzzz is not the PC hardware fault... :rolleyes: