PDA

View Full Version : Which videocard + audiocard Thief III

Baroque
24th Jan 2007, 13:45
I gotta buy a new videocard + audiocard to play Thief III
can someone give a serious advice whats the best choice
for video as well as audio to enjoy Thief III to the max?

thx

Peter_Smith
26th Jan 2007, 04:22
Video card

Give us a price range and whether or not you have a preference for ATI or Nvidia. In any case, if you are interested in playing Thief 1 and Thief 2 (you should be, even if not now), because they are really the best of the Thief series), do not consider an Nvidia 8800 or above. That card or its drivers do not support the early games. I think there may also be a problem with 7950. I think 7900 and below are OK. Regardless, if you buy an Nvidia card, do some research to make sure that it will work with driver version 84.21 or below.

ATI and Nvidia both have some quirks for T1 and T2. Nvidia has some bad sky and some bad dark textures but not all are bad. ATI has bad fog and is a little more fussy in several respects. I started a recent thread on that subject. I use Nvidia myself, but I would seriously consider ATI for a replacement card, if an when the need arises, owing to Nvidia's blind alley. So, you consider all that and take your choice. If it were not for fog, then generally ATI would have slighty better appearance of textures in T1 and T2. There is essentially no difference between them in T3.

Consider the fact that for a given amount of money, you are better off to spend that money on a single GPU rather than two half priced ones in SLI or crossfire configuration. That has been demonstrated in an article at Anandtech.com.

Get on line and read some reviews and look at some benchmarks. Anandtech.com and sharkyextreme.com are good gamer hardware sites. Card designations can be confusing, so you need that education.

Definitely make sure that the card supports pixel shading. Some older cards did like Geforce MX series did not. Current generation cards should all be OK. To be sure, take a look at the hardware requirements post:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=37032

Those are all the caveats I can think of now. Again, post your price and look at reviews. Look at Newegg for buying on line.

Audio Card

I dislike Creative for its bloatware, deceptive marketing, predatory practices, and poor technical support. They put a better audio card manufactgurer (Aureal) out of business. Nevertheless, I would suck it in and buy a Creative X-Fi for gaming. The exact model again depends on your budget and reviews. I would buy one of the cheaper ones.

EDIT:

I just found this at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16829153001

I don't know anything about this brand personally, but the consumer reviewers seem to like it a lot. I don't know if it has good EAX support or not. I wouldn't care about that anyway, because I do not like EAX (another creative Beef).

Baroque
26th Jan 2007, 10:09
thx very much for your fast and serious reply Peter
yeah, i saw your thread about that fog item and that made jump into this video matter

ive got a really old pc here but Thief 1 and Thief 2 still play lovely on it;
just for Thief 3 i gotta upgrade the whole bunch (proc, video, audio)
it seems to me i better buy a new pc, then afterwards select a good
video- and audio card...

ill take your advice definitely in consideration for my future purchase, thx
im not in a hurry, since its true Thief 1 and Thief 2 are games i truly treasure
and want to keep playing (just would be nice if a newer pc gets some more
out of those old games, but definitely NOT lacks stuff to play them)