PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting questions about the controls for PC verison

spectre01
22nd Jan 2007, 22:21
I just read the preview on gamespy about the PC verison of the game. They said that the control for plane may be a little tricky. So my question is this: will it support a remappable control for PC verison? Because I like WW2 plane dogfighting, and I prefer fly a plane with a gamepad (mine is Logitech dual action, almost as same as a ps2 controller). And the plane should has roll, yell, and pitch. In that gamespy preview, they said "using keyboard and mouse to fly a plane", and that's what I don't want to do. So I am wondering if we (PC gamers) can remap all the keys in the game, and if we can bind all the keys to one gamepad, play the game without touching the keyboard and mouse (although aiming is better with the mouse).

(does this topic should be in the "questions for developer" thread? if I broke the rule, then remove this thread...)

zycore
23rd Jan 2007, 03:41
Good luck getting a anwser. I have been asking if the PC version of the game will support the Xbox 360 controler made for the PC and no one ever anwsered me. Seem like its a XBOX only forum. I just hope this game wont turn into another bad port over to the PC.

Digby5000
23rd Jan 2007, 03:49
Good luck getting a anwser. I have been asking if the PC version of the game will support the Xbox 360 controler made for the PC and no one ever anwsered me. Seem like its a XBOX only forum. I just hope this game wont turn into another bad port over to the PC.

Im 99% sure that the game will support joysticks (mappable). They would be insane not to. Having played the 360 version, I can tell you that there are many times that I wish I had a mouse (AA guns especially).

As far as the 360 controller support is concerned, why wouldn't it? It's just another joystick, right? If you haven't played the game yet, Im sure you'll enjoy it. It'll be great fun (on any platform).

Crossroads
23rd Jan 2007, 04:06

Dunno about the controler answer but have to say asked aabout the PC demo and Kier answered within 2 minutes. From what I have seen these guys have been very responsive...

timetraveller
23rd Jan 2007, 10:26
Most joysticks (and maybe gamepads too) have the ability to remap their output as keyboard keys (my Logitec joystick does), effectively simulating pressing keys when you hit the buttons on the gamepad. I have used that technique for another game which had CTDs problems when using a joystick. Works beautifully.

TT

chip5541
23rd Jan 2007, 10:30
Maybe that is why I never had the CTD. :scratch:

Keir
23rd Jan 2007, 11:58
I haven't played the PC version that much but I'm 99% sure you can map controls for controllers.

I'm waiting on an answer for sure, I'll keep you posted.

Keir
23rd Jan 2007, 14:02
OK, here's the official line:

The Xbox 360 controller was tested and works fine. The PS2 type controller however is not officially supported but will most likely work after some setting up.

ScottWAR
23rd Jan 2007, 17:28
How about Joysticks (for exampole MS sidewinder precision 2), will the game allow us to map our joystick controls?

Keir
23rd Jan 2007, 17:36
How about Joysticks (for exampole MS sidewinder precision 2), will the game allow us to map our joystick controls?

While they're not 'officially supported' they should be just fine.

chip5541
23rd Jan 2007, 17:44
Well I have a Seitek X-52 *fingers crossed*

zycore
23rd Jan 2007, 18:33
Thanks Keir for the reply.

"The Squeeky wheel gets the oil" as my Dad used to say:thumbsup:

spectre01
23rd Jan 2007, 22:41
thanx for the reply! good to know it!:D

Keir
24th Jan 2007, 15:48
Further to this, rfx from the dev team tells me:

The PC version has a few pre-defined controller layouts for the game that you can load, for example (Xbox controller, X360 controller, Logitech and Saitek ones) and also, you can customise every function in the game in the options menu, so you can play with mouse+keyboard, keyboard+controller, to suit your preference. Of course old Quickshot joysticks can be mapped too.

Amit9821
24th Jan 2007, 20:43
yay, i guess ill be flying those planes with a joystick but the mouse and keyboard for the rest of stuff. i hav the Saitek cyborg 3d gold, the joystick everyone loves for its functions and ergonomics, but hate it bcuz it almost never works. well i say get windows vista! i just plugged it into my usb port and boom it starts working, so i guess microsoft found some proper drivers after all but saitek didnt? how ironic:lol:

btw i got windows vista ultimate final(RTM; after RC2) and i plan to buy home premium the day it comes out.

johnston21
28th Jan 2007, 16:22
I have not yet been able to configure my X-45's (or pedals). Still trying to figure it out. Is there a config. file to edit? The in-game options isn't remapping.

johnston21
30th Jan 2007, 22:52
Waiting for some developer's feedback on this, before purchasing the game. :whistle:

chip5541
31st Jan 2007, 04:44
Moved to PC section.

cjusmc15
31st Jan 2007, 12:27
this is how you change plane controls, lots more easier. i had the same prob for some time and it kept me up. to change it you have to go to the setting and controls. then click air and you will see all the controls. the first is the one you want to change. click it and then roll the mouse up. it should change so now when you roll up it goes up and not down. do this for the air/sea/land controls also. and make sure you hit save after you do it for each.