PDA

View Full Version : Demo unplayable.

Casual_Gamer
18th Jan 2007, 22:36
:scratch:

Well the demo has serious issues. First off it froze up my Xbox 360 5 times trying to find a quickmatch, and froze up once at the shipyards, all times I had to reboot. Custom matches I couldn't connect to one, timed out ever time.

I finally got into a lobby where I was inevitably booted from cause I couldn't figure out where the ready up button was. So then I manage to figure where the ready button is and eventually i get into another game. I'm at the shipyards and I haven't a freaking clue and I'm not the only one. "What do we do now?" everybody wonders. Took me about 5-10 minutes to figure out how to launch a ship. Eventually I am watching my Sub head (hopefully) towards the enemy. I can't tell if I am heading towards friend or foe or how to fire at a target if I am ever in range of one. People start dropping off as they realize they can't figure out how to play the game.

Yeah so a tutorial, a training mission, that would have been REALLY helpful. It's not enough to just give people of splash screen of the controls.

I was hoping to play this with friends tonight but god knows if we can get it to load up a game and then if we can ever figure out how to play it.

andy3536
18th Jan 2007, 22:38

Well the demo has serious issues. First off it froze up my Xbox 360 5 times trying to find a quickmatch, and froze up once at the shipyards, all times I had to reboot. Custom matches I couldn't connect to one, timed out ever time.

I finally got into a lobby where I was inevitably booted from cause I couldn't figure out where the ready up button was. So then I manage to figure where the ready button is and eventually i get into another game. I'm at the shipyards and I haven't a freaking clue and I'm not the only one. "What do we do now?" everybody wonders. Took me 10 minutes to figure out how to launch a ship. Eventually I am watching my Sub head (hopefully) towards the enemy. I can't tell if I am heading towards friend or foe or how to fire at a target if I am ever in range of one. People start dropping off as they realize they can't figure out how to play the game.

Yeah so a tutorial, a training mission, that would have been REALLY helpful. It's not enough to just give people of splash screen of the controls.

I was hoping to play this with friends tonight but god knows if we can get it to load up a game and then if we can ever figure out how to play it.

Try hosting a game yourself. not had any probs myself

Tensing
18th Jan 2007, 22:42
In about 8 games I had one disconnect and one where the lag was unplayable - the rest were flawless, including two I hosted myself.

Keep trying, you'll find some decent games and be back here with a smily face:)

Casual_Gamer
18th Jan 2007, 22:48
Well I really think Eidos should address the crash issues.

On side note, HOW DO YOU PLAY THE GAME? Can someone put up a step by step? I never expected the game to be easy to understand but just throwing someone in a shipyard without a clue kinda negates the purpose of the demo.

andy3536
18th Jan 2007, 22:51
Well I really think Eidos should address the crash issues.

On side note, HOW DO YOU PLAY THE GAME? Can someone put up a step by step? I never expected the game to be easy to understand but just throwing someone in a shipyard without a clue kinda negates the purpose of the demo.

You can view the controls in the settings menu and for the second time try hosting a game yourself and then let us know how you got on! :mad2:

Capt:.Cavan
18th Jan 2007, 22:53
Can people stop moaning?. I know i know about crashing and whatnot but it is good of Keir and the rest of the team to produce a mp demo.

Anyway im sure when the game arrives it will shed the light on your somewhat "troubles".:scratch:

Just try learn experience for yourself and other players, im sure someone has put up a list on controls. :rolleyes:

Pharseer
18th Jan 2007, 23:24

I finally got into a lobby where I was inevitably booted from cause I couldn't figure out where the ready up button was. So then I manage to figure where the ready button is and eventually i get into another game. I'm at the shipyards and I haven't a freaking clue and I'm not the only one. "What do we do now?" everybody wonders. Took me about 5-10 minutes to figure out how to launch a ship. Eventually I am watching my Sub head (hopefully) towards the enemy. I can't tell if I am heading towards friend or foe or how to fire at a target if I am ever in range of one. People start dropping off as they realize they can't figure out how to play the game.

Might want to delete and redownload it, mine works great, even with 8 players on the map....had one disconnect in hours.....just very appreciative we have the demo:)

Unique78
18th Jan 2007, 23:45
I'm sorry you are having a lot of trouble. From reading the previews online and whatnot, I knew how to control the game even before I downloaded the demo. I wasn't really lost when it started and it's exactly how I expected the game to be from reading the previews and watching the many many online videos available.

I'm very glad they put the demo out. It'll weed out the people that want a run and gun game. You know... the ones with A.D.H.D, without patience. It'll attact the strategy crowd which offers for better matches with friends and foes alike.

Deadpreacher
18th Jan 2007, 23:48
I been playing BS:M demo since it first came out today. I haven't had one moment of lag not even any lock ups/Freezing. I'm sorry you are, but i now have had around 12 hours of play on it today and been running great since game one!

Divine_Wind
18th Jan 2007, 23:54
I've played a handful of games so far and only one was laggy and glitched out. My planes seemed to dive below the ocean's surface, only to reappear unharmed. I also wasn't able to shoot my weapons (:mad2:). I checked the host and he was from the UK. Strange, because I had a couple other games with people from the UK previous to that and had no lag (or glitching) whatsoever.

princecaspian4
18th Jan 2007, 23:57
for me, every once in a while i can 't control some (or all) part of my ship, sometimes i can't fire, or (the most common thing that happens to me) i can't get my ship to move, either i can't control it's steering, or i can't get it to change speed and am stuck at full stop, sometimes it all happens at once, and the only thing i can do is look around

kwintone
19th Jan 2007, 02:10
there is lag present from online play and like most demos the coding has some glitches. this demo has a VERY steep learning curve, but stick with it because once you start to get the hang of it, it truyly is a remarkable game.

imnotcanadian
19th Jan 2007, 02:34
I wonder why some people have no problems at all...while others have nothing but problems......

xgamerms999
19th Jan 2007, 03:11
In about 8 games I had one disconnect and one where the lag was unplayable - the rest were flawless, including two I hosted myself.

Keep trying, you'll find some decent games and be back here with a smily face:)
For me, it was the opposite, ya. Anyways, when it works it owns.

Divine_Wind
19th Jan 2007, 03:12
Yeah, still having the odd problem. However, whenever I host a game, I have no issues.

Latka
19th Jan 2007, 03:34
When I tried to join 4 or 5 different games : :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
Lockups so bad I called Xbox.

When I hosted myself 1v1, it worked. Took us about 5 minutes to figure things out...and after 49 minutes of play I still don't feel all that comfortable - but at least I'm getting the hang of it.

xgamerms999
19th Jan 2007, 03:48
Yeah, still having the odd problem. However, whenever I host a game, I have no issues.

even when I host it doesn't work.

Latka
19th Jan 2007, 04:52
Ack - just had it lock up on the little demo movie screen. That makes it a little harder to diagnose. :(

kwintone
19th Jan 2007, 06:33

;)

i just got through hosting 11 8x8 games with no players lost, glitches and freezing. so for me i will always host, becuase if i don't then it will be nothing but problems.

Ryback14
19th Jan 2007, 10:12
have you tried re-downloading it? works fine for me and everyone on my friends list......

knoxville11
19th Jan 2007, 13:21
i woke up early yesterday to d/l it.. i went into the shower and came out and it was at 1 percent.. wtf? i stopped it and left for skool... i came back and tredi it aagains and i couldnt get it to work.. none of the items off of xbox marketplace would work.. i callled the 1800 4my xbox and they told me that xbox marketplace is updating there system and for me to try again in a few days.... F@$& that lol i kept trying and eventually it started working .. it took over 3 hours to download!!!!. lol im at skool now and i cant wait to get home to play it

Damaged Soldier
19th Jan 2007, 13:43
i woke up early yesterday to d/l it.. i went into the shower and came out and it was at 1 percent.. wtf? i stopped it and left for skool... i came back and tredi it aagains and i couldnt get it to work.. none of the items off of xbox marketplace would work.. i callled the 1800 4my xbox and they told me that xbox marketplace is updating there system and for me to try again in a few days.... F@$& that lol i kept trying and eventually it started working .. it took over 3 hours to download!!!!. lol im at skool now and i cant wait to get home to play it
Yea cant wait to destroy you knox!:lmao: But hurry up and get out of school for i can own you!:thumbsup:

Turtle55555
19th Jan 2007, 13:52
If you are having trouble with learning how to start off, I suggest watching the walkthrough video that can be found in XBOX marketplace. It details many if not all of the controls you need to learn.
Another way is to create a 1v1 game and ask your partner to play just ships, then play again with just air, so you can learn each piece. My friend and I did this for the first 2 hours we played the demo and then kicked ass when we played others.

As for someone mentioned there are times when you can't control your ship or weaponry, well if your ship has taken damage it will knock out certain weapons and your ships engines will quit and you will be dead in the water. Not sure if this is what happened to you but I recomend going to that ship and hitting the LB button to bring up the damage control screen and assigning some crew to the affected area.

And as for lag/connection problems, delete the demo and re-download. Everything I have heard about connection problems have been from people who have taken 2 or 3 hours to download the game. It should take between 20 and 30 mins (at least most of the people I've played with that have no lag have said that, me too for that matter). Remember if you try downloading during the primetime hours and especially on the first day of the download it may take a while and get screwed up in the process.

LATER!

takevin
19th Jan 2007, 14:25

jeez, did you have your eyes closed when playing or what? its not rocket science.....:nut: :rolleyes: be grateful theres a demo, cant have everything handed to you on a silver platter, use the coconut noggin and figure things out, i did, took all of two games to do for me.

Fry-O-Fish
20th Jan 2007, 17:19
Haven't had a lockup in-game myself. And i have only encountered lag once out of about 10 matches (i later went on to find out the host was from another continent).

Speaking of which, does anyone know the unload speed needed to host an 8 player game without much lag?

ipitythefool
21st Jan 2007, 02:25
I'm having occasional (maybe 1 out of every 10 games) rather bad lag/uncontrolabilty of planes/guns/anything. If it happens, BS:M almost always locks up a minute or two later.

Godlesswanderer
21st Jan 2007, 12:16
I've had a few games where the lag made the game unplayable (unable to fire and unable to move) and some games where they just freeze up. But the majority of the games I've played have been completely lag free.

Simonkey75
21st Jan 2007, 12:59
I've had a few games where the lag made the game unplayable (unable to fire and unable to move) and some games where they just freeze up. But the majority of the games I've played have been completely lag free.

Same here, in fact freezing problem didn't start occurring till a couple of days after I'd downloaded (in half an hour) the demo:confused:

chip5541
21st Jan 2007, 13:04
I am beginning to wonder if this might not be an issue with live.

imported_Swing_Dangler
21st Jan 2007, 16:23
I've never hosted and I've been able to play 1 v 1 and up to 8 v 8 with no hangs or lock ups. The one time it did lock up, I was one button mash away from exiting the game. I receieved a message via live. Went to listen, responed, and when I tried to exit the game, nothing but lock jaw. Other than that issue, it has been a crack like experience.

BlueSabor
21st Jan 2007, 17:32
I am beginning to wonder if this might not be an issue with live.

Same here.

Casual_Gamer
21st Jan 2007, 22:25
Well here's an update. Things have smoothed out a bit. I still cannot connect to Custom Matches 60% of the time but at least the game doesn't crash anymore when I hit the back button. I've gotten into plenty of matches and for the most part it's stable though I have gotten a number of disconnects and couple of frozen games all of which I hope gets fixed in the final release.

Good news is the game rocks! I've played it steadily all night long for the last 3 days!

Shamrock
21st Jan 2007, 22:29
I think the only people having problems freezing/connecting are those with Moderate/Strict NATS.

To check your NAT go to system blade/Networking/Run Xbox Live Test.

If your Nat is strict or Moderate you need to forward some ports. Info can be found on the Xbox.com Forums by Searching keyword "NAT"

Simonkey75
22nd Jan 2007, 06:59
I think the only people having problems freezing/connecting are those with Moderate/Strict NATS.

To check your NAT go to system blade/Networking/Run Xbox Live Test.

If your Nat is strict or Moderate you need to forward some ports. Info can be found on the Xbox.com Forums by Searching keyword "NAT"

Nope, not an issue for me, and yesterday the lockups, and worse complete Xbox freezes meant I couldn't get through one game without a crash. I'm pretty sure this is not an Xbox Live / NAT problem. Haven't seen these issues with any other game on Live.:confused:

chip5541
22nd Jan 2007, 08:10
I have. The first day I had issues of disconnecting from Live and so I tested COD3 and had the same issue. This disconnect only happened when I had the mic open and only after a few minutes.
Playing the game without a mic was flawless and I experienced to disconnects for BM and COD3.