PDA

View Full Version : My First Impressions of XBox 360 Live Play

Simonkey75
18th Jan 2007, 17:32
Hi all, been lurking around the site last couple of weeks, thought I'd get meself registered and share my thoughts after my first few hours with the demo:
1.) It looks great!
2.)Watch the Tulagi walkthrough and note down the buttons (a guide is included in the demo, but its soo useful to have them written down next to you!) - a lot of folks seem to be jumping straight in without a clue of what does what, and it is a complicated game, and then disappearing off out of frustration.
3.) American side - protect your carriers! so far every game I've played, the japanese surface forces have just been able to sidle stright up to them and put 'em on the bottom. They are only aircraft bases the yanks have, and game becomes all but dead once they are gone. Good idea to send some Allied surface forces to support them from the dockyard. Believe me, sinking the Enterprise and Yorktown with just the Tone feels pretty hollow by the third time!
4.) Press the ready button! Host cannot start until all players have pressed the ready button, strange but true!
5.) As soon as one of your surface ships is sunk, get another one out the dockyard, there is a fair supply (at least three Renown class Battlecruisers on the allied side, but only two surface units from each dockyard at any one time)
6.) Submarines do not last five seconds on the surface, so watch where you come up, and don't run out of oxygen - not good!
7.) No one's talking! Never heard such a quiet XBox live game.

I'll be online again from approx. 7pm GMT, my Gamertag is Simonkey75, would love to play against (and with!) some guys (or gals!) who have got to grips withy it, so send an invite if you've got a spare space! Cheers!

hragarand
18th Jan 2007, 17:45
- Nice review/observations above. Sounds more sim-like than arcade like. As in real war - submarines on the surface (no/no) and carriers were vulnerable. Looking forward to downloading tonight and giving the controls a try.

Seems the more you put into the game the more you get out of it.

takevin
18th Jan 2007, 17:54
since there is ALREADY a post on the demo, it would have been better to keep it in one so as not to cluster the board.:rolleyes:

Simonkey75
18th Jan 2007, 18:00
since there is ALREADY a post on the demo, it would have been better to keep it in one so as not to cluster the board.:rolleyes:

Sorry, thought on such an auspicious day there was room for a couple of threads of this nature !

Simonkey75
18th Jan 2007, 18:13
- Nice review/observations above. Sounds more sim-like than arcade like. As in real war - submarines on the surface (no/no) and carriers were vulnerable. Looking forward to downloading tonight and giving the controls a try.

Seems the more you put into the game the more you get out of it.

To be honest it probably tends towards the arcade side. For instance, the map is very small - the American carriers are clearly visible right from the off, which is a bit of a shame. Having to hunt for them would make things a bit more tactical. As it is you can just make a beeline straight for them. The confined space of the map means there isn't a lot of room for manouvre or fleet-style tactics i.e. crossin the T etc - its pretty much pound the nearest target.

Digby5000
18th Jan 2007, 18:27
To be honest it probably tends towards the arcade side. For instance, the map is very small - the American carriers are clearly visible right from the off, which is a bit of a shame. Having to hunt for them would make things a bit more tactical. As it is you can just make a beeline straight for them. The confined space of the map means there isn't a lot of room for manouvre or fleet-style tactics i.e. crossin the T etc - its pretty much pound the nearest target.

The carriers might be visible on purpose to be fair, since the airfields can't move. I moved my carrier south of the island right away, and kept it mobile once discovered.

I believe there will be multiplayer missions where each team starts with carriers. I bet you have to do some hunting on those maps...

Pharseer
18th Jan 2007, 22:32
During an interview it was said there are bigger maps, so maybe in the full game we will have a shot at hiding some of our ships.

I was hoping for weather conditions so we could hide behind weatherfronts as they did in the war, but it appears weather has no effect on play at all.

If there is a sequel we can always pray for that type of thing.:) I would love to play/hunt the Bismarck and have to navigate in and out of the Fjords under heavy cloud cover....as the British fleet/Air hunted it down...

Incidentally, in the Pearl Harbor attack the Japanese used weatherfronts (and radio silence) across the Pacific to keep the US Navy from finding its Carrier force. It would be a lot of fun having a different scenario but being able to bring those kind of factors into play.:)

Boultby
21st Jan 2007, 01:46
During an interview it was said there are bigger maps, so maybe in the full game we will have a shot at hiding some of our ships.

I was hoping for weather conditions so we could hide behind weatherfronts as they did in the war, but it appears weather has no effect on play at all.

If there is a sequel we can always pray for that type of thing.:) I would love to play/hunt the Bismarck and have to navigate in and out of the Fjords under heavy cloud cover....as the British fleet/Air hunted it down...

Incidentally, in the Pearl Harbor attack the Japanese used weatherfronts (and radio silence) across the Pacific to keep the US Navy from finding its Carrier force. It would be a lot of fun having a different scenario but being able to bring those kind of factors into play.:)

the first thing you notice with the DEMO is the small map, and obviously Eidos are not going to release the best naval vessels and fastest most versatile planes are they. i think everybody should just STOP trying to pick away at little faults in a demo, but to praise eidos like i have been since playing that demo such as:brilliant graphics, great air and naval battles and of course the strategic gameplay that is needed to conquer your foes.

hope all agree with me :D:D

Capt:.Cavan
21st Jan 2007, 02:02
the first thing you notice with the DEMO is the small map, and obviously Eidos are not going to release the best naval vessels and fastest most versatile planes are they. i think everybody should just STOP trying to pick away at little faults in a demo, but to praise eidos like i have been since playing that demo such as:brilliant graphics, great air and naval battles and of course the strategic gameplay that is needed to conquer your foes.

hope all agree with me :D

of course we do, never any true-er words spoken :rasp: yeah i wouldnt see why they wouldnt have larger maps in the first place, where would the yamato hide! :lol: and anyway from watching the gamespot demo a good idea is to move your carrier directly south of the island of the american side, it allows you to protect the shipyard with planes and also keeps your carriers out of harms way as enemy ships would need to circle the while island to find you and then try to be sunk be american planes or ships.

Also about the faults in the demo, i think some people have forgotten its a demo, i could see where many are coming from right anough about worrying that the game would be the same, but i have no worries, gamespy has good servers :rasp:

Also i am looking forward to actually trying to think of plans and tactics, that is what makes a game great, involving the player in the game, and even i (and many others) may cry when we complete the final mission :lol: or lose our best ship.

Also for any smart people out there i was reading that during the american attack which sunk yamato, the shi had a radio jammer so the american planes /bomber could not co-ordinate attacks with each other, was this true or not?:scratch:

Quick and funny note ( I was search the internet for demo videos that users would have uploaded and found one where this guy was being attacked by a BB and he was a carrier, he started to shoot at this bb with his reticule which in turn was firing AA at this BB , it was so funny :lmao: wow what a long post :eek:

ipitythefool
21st Jan 2007, 02:29
Lately I've been trying to sink the CVs with a Japanese sub, but the TBs from the airfields have beaten me there last 4 times :D noob CVs.

Boultby
21st Jan 2007, 11:53
well at least somebody agrees with me, as i said-in all fairness picking apart a demo with a fine toothcomb is pointless, cos at the end of the day if you like the game then you will buy it, or like me preorder.

the strange thing about all of this, is when i downloaded the blazing angels demo, i thought to myself (plane games are a load of :whistle: whats the point in them) well now i know, tactical combat, i can be quite certain that for a while, people are going to want this game because it is different.

nothing beats using your brain for about 40 minutes in a constant battle in the water and skies, not even shooting terrorists in vegas.

if everbody stopped and thought about whether or not it is a game worth buying, then look at the gameplay, the visual effects......and hell, oyu dont even need to like boats, cos i didnt, but im guna end up gettin into them anyway :cool:

Simonkey75
21st Jan 2007, 12:39
I wasn't intending to pick faults in noting the size of the map! Just passing comment on the gameplay on that particular map - I'm sure there will be larger scale ones to get our teeth into in the game as released.

On the subject of weather, I too was hoping for some weather effects in the game - rough seas, fog banks etc - to spice up the tactical considerations. Imagine your destroyers are fleeing headlong from the oppposition battlefleet, salvo after salvo falling all about them, when out of the mist the looming shapes of your battleships appear to save the day ... mmm!:)

Boultby
21st Jan 2007, 12:50
i didnt mean you simon, i think your review of the demo is brilliant, im talking about the other people, who think it is prime importance to pick out faults in a game, rather then saying what is good about it.

as for my spelling in the last post.....will change that now, i touchtype at 40 words/minute and am prone to adding strange letters or extra ones :D

Simonkey75
21st Jan 2007, 12:54
[QUOTE=Boultby;610215]i didnt mean you simon, i think your review of the demo is brilliant, im talking about the other people, who think it is prime importance to pick out faults in a game, rather then saying what is good about it.

No worries! :)

andy3536
21st Jan 2007, 14:39
What needs to be remembered is that many of the faults with the demo will not be present in the final game! The online gameing will be much beter and there will be a number of maps to choose from. A demo is only intended as a sample of what the game can offer and allthough it has some issue's there is no dought in the games potential.

Languish
21st Jan 2007, 15:11
Hi all, been lurking around the site last couple of weeks, thought I'd get meself registered and share my thoughts after my first few hours with the demo:
1.) It looks great!
2.)Watch the Tulagi walkthrough and note down the buttons (a guide is included in the demo, but its soo useful to have them written down next to you!) - a lot of folks seem to be jumping straight in without a clue of what does what, and it is a complicated game, and then disappearing off out of frustration.
3.) American side - protect your carriers! so far every game I've played, the japanese surface forces have just been able to sidle stright up to them and put 'em on the bottom. They are only aircraft bases the yanks have, and game becomes all but dead once they are gone. Good idea to send some Allied surface forces to support them from the dockyard. Believe me, sinking the Enterprise and Yorktown with just the Tone feels pretty hollow by the third time!
4.) Press the ready button! Host cannot start until all players have pressed the ready button, strange but true!
5.) As soon as one of your surface ships is sunk, get another one out the dockyard, there is a fair supply (at least three Renown class Battlecruisers on the allied side, but only two surface units from each dockyard at any one time)
6.) Submarines do not last five seconds on the surface, so watch where you come up, and don't run out of oxygen - not good!
7.) No one's talking! Never heard such a quiet XBox live game.

I'll be online again from approx. 7pm GMT, my Gamertag is Simonkey75, would love to play against (and with!) some guys (or gals!) who have got to grips withy it, so send an invite if you've got a spare space! Cheers!

Good post! ... and i agree wholeheartedly. There have been some idiots on the game though, the worst offenders, are those who quit when the going gets tough. Sometimes this triggers the rest of the team to leave - which is a shame :( I never quit - even if i am getting it handed to me :P

Deadpreacher
21st Jan 2007, 20:38
Good post! ... and i agree wholeheartedly. There have been some idiots on the game though, the worst offenders, are those who quit when the going gets tough. Sometimes this triggers the rest of the team to leave - which is a shame :( I never quit - even if i am getting it handed to me :P

I been kind of wondering about this quiting thing for the final vers. I will be winning and one or two guys may leave the game. So here i am by myself with no control over the guys units that just left and now i'm getting doubled team.

Well what i would like to know is in the final vers if someone leaves does it at least pass the controls onto the next guy in line instead of haven wasted vechiles doing nothing!? If it don't i hope they patch it soon becuase it really hurts haven perfect working vechiles and still a spawn point out there doing nothing!

Boultby
21st Jan 2007, 21:38

EVERYBODY!!!

what we have in this post is a prime example of a TRUE gamer, not being in it for the glory, but to have a good time, and hopefully meet new friends. also, a very good thing to remember with this game is that evein 2 vs 1, you can win, even from the beginning. this is because you have total control of all vessels and aeroplanes, so you do not have some like minded f****kwit finding it clever telling the boats to attack the shipyard, when the opponent can easily rip through them.

games were originally created as a passtime, not to shout about and get all excited over a win against somebody who may not properly know how to play.

Simonkey75
22nd Jan 2007, 07:02
I been kind of wondering about this quiting thing for the final vers. I will be winning and one or two guys may leave the game. So here i am by myself with no control over the guys units that just left and now i'm getting doubled team.

Well what i would like to know is in the final vers if someone leaves does it at least pass the controls onto the next guy in line instead of haven wasted vechiles doing nothing!? If it don't i hope they patch it soon becuase it really hurts haven perfect working vechiles and still a spawn point out there doing nothing!

When I've played and Teammates have left, control of their units does pass to you, should be able to flick through 'em with the D-Pad. Unless all their units have been destroyed, which may be why they are leaving :)

Deadpreacher
22nd Jan 2007, 11:16
When I've played and Teammates have left, control of their units does pass to you, should be able to flick through 'em with the D-Pad. Unless all their units have been destroyed, which may be why they are leaving :)

Well i know sometimes it does work and must the other times it don't. I play with friends just about everytime and sometimes it's 3 of us and a random 4th comes in. He leaves & still has his Spawn point and ships/planes out there in the field. I cycle throw my list and i don't have control. I ask my other guys in the room and they also don't have control.

I have seen it work from time to time where me or someone else gets the units, but it's been kind of rare where i was thinking maybe he gave emm to us before he left! So maybe it does work that way, but we get bugged out must the time and it don't. I don't know i just know in many cases it's a empty unit/spawn with no one controling it thats left in the room.