PDA

View Full Version : Demo level details

Keir
17th Jan 2007, 17:31
Well everyone, now the Xbox demo date has been released, here are a few details and screenshots about the level to whet your appetite!

Map: Islands of Solomon

Historical Perspective
Japanese forces occupied the Solomon Islands in January 1942. The counter-attack was led by the United States; the 1st Division of the US Marine Corps landed on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in August 1942. Some of the bitterest fighting of World War II took place on the islands for almost three years. Tulagi, the seat of the British administration on the island of Nggela Sule in Central Province was destroyed in the heavy fighting following landings by the US Marines. Then the tough battle for Guadalcanal, which was centred on the capture of the airfield led to the development of the adjacent town of Honiara as the United States logistics centre.

Controllable units / player slots:

Allied

Player 1 – Aircraft carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 2 - Aircraft carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 3 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and battleships (2 can be launched at any one time)

Player 4 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and subs (2 can be launched at any one time)

Japanese

Player 1 – Airfield with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 2 - Airfield carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 3 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and battleships (2 can be launched at any one time)

Player 4 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and subs (2 can be launched at any one time)

NB: Players can share units. If you take player/slot one for example you are not always limited to just air combat – you can swap a unit with a team-mate and take command of a ship or sub as well.

In terms of the famous units involved; one of the carriers is the USS Yorktown and the Japanese battleship is the Kongo class I believe. There are also Wildcat and Zero fighters, Dauntless dive bombers and Avenger torpedo planes.

The basic objective is to destroy the opposing team’s carriers / airfields / shipyards.

Deadpreacher
17th Jan 2007, 17:57
I see i'm going to be player 4 alot LOL.

Thanks Keir!

Tzmir
17th Jan 2007, 18:00
player 3 for me! i cant wait!

GamerAndy
17th Jan 2007, 18:01
Hey Kier :) Long time lurker, finally had to register

We're totally stoked about the demo, and I'm wondering if it'll be going out on the standard release schedule? (9am GMT)? If so, I'll be staying up for it :)

-Andy

andy3536
17th Jan 2007, 18:04

We're totally stoked about the demo, and I'm wondering if it'll be going out on the standard release schedule? (9am GMT)? If so, I'll be staying up for it :)

-Andy

Good piont, is it wirth checking at midnight gmt???? Have to work tomorrow :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

GamerAndy
17th Jan 2007, 18:05
Oh, and Japan 2 for me :) Hooray for land based anti-air

Divine_Wind
17th Jan 2007, 18:05
Awesome, Keir! I can't wait to try it out!

Player 2 - Airfield carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Airfield carrier??

imnotcanadian
17th Jan 2007, 18:06
Will the same map be featured for PC?

GamerAndy
17th Jan 2007, 18:06
Good piont, is it wirth checking at midnight gmt???? Have to work tomorrow :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

content almost never releases at midnight gmt - SOP is 1am PST for arcade titles, but demos tend to be a bit iffy on releases

andy3536
17th Jan 2007, 18:13
content almost never releases at midnight gmt - SOP is 1am PST for arcade titles, but demos tend to be a bit iffy on releases

Oh bugger!
:mad2: :mad2:
I suddenly feel rather ill, cough, cough

Keir

-Andy

Welcome! :cool:

Good question. Times for the demo are: 15:00 GMT, 16:00 CET, 07:00 PST.

Awesome, Keir! I can't wait to try it out!

Airfield carrier??

Typo! :D

Will the same map be featured for PC?

Yup :thumbsup:

kwintone
:lmao:

:nut:

:eek:

:thumbsup:

see you guys in the heat of battle...

chip5541
17th Jan 2007, 18:24
Hot dog! That reads great but I don't get home from work till 8am PST so I will be joining a little late. :mad2:

Capt:.Cavan
17th Jan 2007, 18:27
am i the only pc user who is depressed :(

Keir
17th Jan 2007, 18:32

Safe to say that you're not. Sorry about this, if I had it my way they'd go out together :(

I'll press for some info for you.

MotorbreathX
17th Jan 2007, 18:35
The timing is perfect. It lands on Live about an hour or so before I get home from work and I have a three day weekend to sink my teeth into it. Great timing guys! Of course this is assuming it's already through the certification process and there is nothing that could push this back.

GamerAndy
17th Jan 2007, 18:36
I think its safe to assume that if the details arn't coming out until less than 24 hours before it releases, that it's a definite thing

(Keir also gave us a specific hour it'll be out, which is also indicative of this)

andy3536
17th Jan 2007, 18:40
I think its safe to assume that if the details arn't coming out until less than 24 hours before it releases, that it's a definite thing

(Keir also gave us a specific hour it'll be out, which is also indicative of this)

Clever, i could fall ill at 14.30 gmt and go home

Cough, cough

MotorbreathX
17th Jan 2007, 18:41
True, but this certification thing has caused issues in the past with specific timed releases (MK3?) and pre-announced ones (Crackdown). I believe Lost Planet even had an issue or something before it was released and it was advertised in magazines as to when it would be released.

GamerAndy
17th Jan 2007, 18:44
True enough, but all signs point to "this is actually happening"

btw, I dropped kotaku a line about the demo and these new details (as well as links to some older youtubed footage) hoping the demo will get some coverage and a bit of hype for the game

Can anybody think of other places we should drop lines about it?

Digby5000
17th Jan 2007, 18:51
People may have to agree to a 'non-aggression' pact prior to starting the game so we have time to figure out how to play!

Keir - Any chance you can post the user manual prior to the demo release so we aren't cannon fodder for the first few rounds? You might get out of answering some of the developer questions with this too (that list is growing out of control btw :D )

Thanks for all your involvement here. Im sure I speak for everyone in saying that it has been greatly appreciated.

MotorbreathX
17th Jan 2007, 18:56
True enough, but all signs point to "this is actually happening"

btw, I dropped kotaku a line about the demo and these new details (as well as links to some older youtubed footage) hoping the demo will get some coverage and a bit of hype for the game

Can anybody think of other places we should drop lines about it?

I'm assuming it's happening as well and can't wait for it. It's on the calender. :)

Maybe Joystiq would be good as well. I can't do it since work filters keep me from that site.

andy3536
17th Jan 2007, 19:00
People may have to agree to a 'non-aggression' pact prior to starting the game so we have time to figure out how to play!

Keir - Any chance you can post the user manual prior to the demo release so we aren't cannon fodder for the first few rounds? You might get out of answering some of the developer questions with this too (that list is growing out of control btw :D )

Thanks for all your involvement here. Im sure I speak for everyone in saying that it has been greatly appreciated.

The trouble with that is you may be the only one of the 8 that doesn't know. You just have to hope that they will be patient with you

Hitlers nightmare
17th Jan 2007, 19:10
:nut: :nut: I cant wait ooooohhh i am getting crazy:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

xgamerms999
17th Jan 2007, 19:16
When is it comin out and in EST please. Also, Keir do u have ur GT set so u can play us?
Thanks in advance. Good luck at Launch and Online!!

Digby5000
17th Jan 2007, 19:46
9:30AM EST if I am not mistaken.

Hitlers nightmare
17th Jan 2007, 19:48
When is it comin out and in EST please. Also, Keir do u have ur GT set so u can play us?

in europe will be tommorow 16:00

cripplezsbp90
17th Jan 2007, 19:53
People I think XBL is updated at 11 o'clock GMT.

zycore
17th Jan 2007, 19:56
What about a demo forthe PC? :scratch:

Unique78
17th Jan 2007, 20:31

I'm a PC user and I'm not depressed... I also have a 360.

killzoik
17th Jan 2007, 20:39
same its great
:D :D :D

killzoik
17th Jan 2007, 20:45
your planes will look like this at the end of the battle

http://www.diveadventures.com/images/solomons/SolWreck-1.jpg

Deadpreacher
17th Jan 2007, 21:10

I'm EST also so expect it around 4am.

m t freestyler
17th Jan 2007, 21:25
i get it at 2 am on friday:(
stupid time****

ShadowDragoon
17th Jan 2007, 21:30
I can't wait to see if they release a PC demo. This game looks real good! Plus I need to get a Xbox 360.

Forceman4077
17th Jan 2007, 21:30
Player slots 1 & 2 US for me. You wont see my Dauntlesses coming.:rasp:
So watch the skys when Forceman4077 takes to the air.

m t freestyler
17th Jan 2007, 21:51
ill be watchen and waitin

princecaspian4
17th Jan 2007, 22:49
:D thank you keir !!! :D
i will go with player slot 4

xgamerms999
18th Jan 2007, 00:05
If ur planes r out and ur carrier is sunk, could u land them on ur buddies carrier? If so would u be able to take off or would ur buddy have to release them for u? Also, what is the date that the demo comes out?

m t freestyler
18th Jan 2007, 00:39
it will be out in 14 hours

ma1746@juno.com
18th Jan 2007, 02:31
Keir, how do you swap units with other players? Say i controlled a carrier and wanted another ship, would i have to give up a squadron of planes for say a destroyer in return? how does that work, and what button/buttons do you hit to request a swap?

Jagr
18th Jan 2007, 04:54
awww. i get it 3 hours before school starts:(
But its Finals Week! and I don't have any finals tomorrow:D and get out at 12:10:D but i have soccer at 3:30:mad: and then sax. at 7:30:mad:
but then a 3 day week-end:D but then 4-5 page biology project and country project for history:mad: oh well. i will get to it eventually

Jagr
18th Jan 2007, 04:55
o and I will go with Japanese 1!

m t freestyler
18th Jan 2007, 05:34
sounds like you need to be background downloading thats always a good feature on xbox

Sgt Shade
18th Jan 2007, 06:00
Hey guys,

I finally registered!!! I've been reading these forums and you guys hounding Keir for the last 2 months!!! I would of done the same though. :D

I have a question though, and I have looked all over these forums for the answer and not able to find it. If a player gets the ship yard, the ship yard says that it can only do two at a time. So does that mean that I can only have two ships and if one sinks then I can build another one? Or can I stock pile ships and the shipyard only can produce 2 every so often?:confused:

Thank,
Sgt Shade.

P.S.
I felt compelled to add these:whistle: **** :eek: :nut: ;) :D

Forceman4077
18th Jan 2007, 06:04
See you all at 2 a.m. PST

imnotcanadian
18th Jan 2007, 22:29
Hey guys,

I finally registered!!! I've been reading these forums and you guys hounding Keir for the last 2 months!!! I would of done the same though. :D

I have a question though, and I have looked all over these forums for the answer and not able to find it. If a player gets the ship yard, the ship yard says that it can only do two at a time. So does that mean that I can only have two ships and if one sinks then I can build another one? Or can I stock pile ships and the shipyard only can produce 2 every so often?:confused:

Thank,
Sgt Shade.

P.S.
I felt compelled to add these:whistle: **** :eek: :nut: ;) :D

I'm 99.9% sure you can produce one everytime that one gets sank...right as it happens.

Boultby
21st Jan 2007, 01:56
The timing is perfect. It lands on Live about an hour or so before I get home from work and I have a three day weekend to sink my teeth into it. Great timing guys! Of course this is assuming it's already through the certification process and there is nothing that could push this back.

didnt even know this game was out, but when my mate said it would be a laugh we decided we would download it, and im hooked, nothing is better then going into 2 on 2 full scale battles with my best mate, doing private chat, exchanging tactics and having our opponents quit after taking out their aircraft carriers, and them not knowing how to deploy ships

:D:D

Boultby
21st Jan 2007, 02:00
Hey guys,

Thank,
Sgt Shade.

as soon as your ships destroyed, you can go to the shipyard and send another 1 out

hope this helps :D:D:D:D