PDA

View Full Version : White flickering line between 2 meshes, (graphical glitch obviously)

Chimera
13th Jan 2007, 17:26
Hi, I get a white line between meshes, it happens between some, and between some it doesn't. It could be a wrong setting in my graphics card. I got the latest drivers though. My card is a Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTO (nearly the same as a GTX but with lower clocked speed, that's the only difference)

Watch the screen please, hopefully someone can help me with this :s

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/6200/tombraiderlegendedgesprpw0.th.jpg (http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tombraiderlegendedgesprpw0.jpg)

Lunideth
13th Jan 2007, 20:14
Looks like graphic card driver issue. Try to download latest drivers to your videocard. Do you use any programs that overclock videocard? Is tomb raider only game where this happen? And try different settings in game and see if it helps

Chimera
13th Jan 2007, 22:35
Yeah this is the only game it happens to, no overclocking. I got all the settings enabled ingame and it runs smoothly at 35-40 FPS, with some drops of a second when it loads a new area. And they are the latest drivers :s Just downloaded them today

aussie500
14th Jan 2007, 01:01
Did you install the patches?

Chimera
14th Jan 2007, 08:20
Yes, V1.1 and V1.2. (I live in Europe). I can walk through some rocks as well, and get 1 flickering texture a lvl (not constantly). This game just feels...unfinished, they should've polished it a bit more. I do hope though I can fix that connection meshes problem :/

Lunideth
14th Jan 2007, 09:51
Hmm. Check what version of drivers you have:
C->NVIDIA->Win2KXP and post here what numbers there is.

How much RAM do you have. To check it:
Start->Run, there type DXDIAG. To guestion answer YES and there on first sheet it willbe written amount of RAM.

If nothing helps try to reinstall game.

Chimera
14th Jan 2007, 10:24
Ok for future questions regarding to my specs, I'll post them all ;)
And I don't think reinstalling the game would fix it, artifacts can't be fixed like this, and it seems like an artifact no?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/14/2007, 11:35:14
Machine name: LUKAS-PC
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: INTELR
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 538MB used, 2947MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7900 GTO
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0291&SUBSYS_042B10DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: BenQ FP91V+
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)

That's all that usefull I think, 6.14.0010.9371... I looked it up and it's driver 93.71. Same if I check it on the nvidia control panel.

Lunideth
14th Jan 2007, 10:41
Very strange. Graphics and windows are ok. Drivers are last. Its like some program is trying to come through...
Because you said that its only game which this happens to and everything seem to be ok try defraging hdd and try to run spyware removal tools. If nothing will help uninstall game and run CCleaner. After that reinstall game. On top of that you should try to run spyware removal tools.

If this wont help then only thing you can do is contact eidos.

Chimera
14th Jan 2007, 11:09
No it's not like there is a program trying to come through, it's just when 2 terrain models connect, there is a white line between them. Like a very little empty space :s Same goes sometimes for stairs (between the stairs), stone stairs...

It ain't spyware as well, got a clean PC. I use Ad-aware SE, spybot, AVG anti-spyware. Crap cleaner to keep things clean and Registry Booster for a clean registry.

Actually... I get some frequently crashes. What about you guys? Maybe memory leaks?

Lunideth
14th Jan 2007, 11:11
Dunno... i didnt have any problems with game and neither my friends had any problems. Only time i had problems was when i cracked game.. that crack sucked. But your problem is really strange.

aussie500
14th Jan 2007, 13:04
Actually... I get some frequently crashes. What about you guys? Maybe memory leaks?

No never had any problems like you described, and never had the game crash, jumped into a few spots l was not meant to go and got the unending scream but that is to be expected. Perhaps it is a hardware problem, something dying, graphics card getting to hot, power supply feeling over worked :confused:

Lunideth
14th Jan 2007, 13:47
No never had any problems like you described, and never had the game crash, jumped into a few spots l was not meant to go and got the unending scream but that is to be expected. Perhaps it is a hardware problem, something dying, graphics card getting to hot, power supply feeling over worked :confused:

1. He said hes videocard isnt clocked so i doubt that its overheating
2. He said its only in Legend so it isnt hardware related problem
3. If it wouldbe PSU (Power Supply Unit) whole pc would shut down
4. If you look at his specs you will see that his pc is quite goos so it have good PSU
5. Learn to read before post stupid and unneeded posts

Chimera
14th Jan 2007, 14:38
I talked some friends about it and they say it's quite normal, it happens a lot but not on all games. It's a seam line where 2 pieces of the level have been put together but aren't completly flush. It varies depending on the resolution. So what is obvious on some setups is a complete non-entity on others.You guys play on 1280*1024 as well?

Lunideth
14th Jan 2007, 15:23
Nope my monitor is 17" so i play on 768x1024

aussie500
14th Jan 2007, 23:20
l also only have a 17" monitor so use 1024 x 768
As to Lunideth nasty little post, a graphics card does not have to be over clocked to overheat, if you have bad ventilation in the box, or cards either side of the graphics card preventing airflow it can still overheat. Legend is a very graphics intensive game, other games might work fine, but the extra stress of trying to run Legend in next gen mode will bring out any problems with the hardware. If the PSU is not powerfull enough to run the card, or the power output drops below what it should the PC will still run, you will just get strange problems cropping up such as things crashing or not working right. l have a great PC as well but it only had a 300 watt PSU and onboard graphics, when l brought my graphics card l also had to buy a more powerfull PSU to go with it. l was only suggesting things that might cause problems, how did your post help Lunideth :(

macstu23
15th Jan 2007, 19:16
I play 1024x768 also on a 17" monitor, and I've seen the same effect. Just a little seamline where graphics join up. Nothing serious, and quite normal on those kind of settings. Having anti-aliasing enabled would normally make such things less noticable at least, but I tend to have that disabled in most games, for the sake of frame rates.

Chimera
16th Jan 2007, 11:20
Thanks for posting your experiences people! I'm halfway through the game now and haven't seen it again too much, sometimes... But in that room in that lvl you could see it everywhere (the screen I posted). It wasn't negligible. But anyway, I'm glad it doesn't show up everywhere I go :)

Leak
16th Jan 2007, 13:42
Those artifacts happen almost everywhere 3D graphics are used. That's what happens when 2 polygons don't exactly line up when rastering them (think rounding errors), with whatever was behind them shining through.

You can try to cover this up (for example by sticking another polygon behind the "crack" with a similar color than the surrounding area), or by making the polygons intersect each other a bit, but you really can't get totally rid of this and sometimes the cure is even worse than the disease - and even the Playstation 1 had those artifacts...

Turning up the anti-aliasing might smooth over them, though, as probably only one of the subsamples that contribute to the "artifacty" pixel will be "bad", then...