PDA

View Full Version : How much do you like/love Imperial Glory?

Stanislav II
13th Jan 2007, 10:22
I voted for "trade is the new diplomacy". Et tu?

I just can't get enough of opening up new trade routes. which = money money moooney.

ytareh
14th Jan 2007, 23:19
Great to see some new blood....alas this game seems to have become a bit of a cul de sac.../dead end.....at least as far as developers/distributors go....

Tyford
15th Jan 2007, 09:03
Naval battles have got to be plus, as compared to the Total War series (still no naval battles)

Duke of Potsdam
23rd Jan 2007, 01:14
Idk Tyford. Im personally not a big fan of naval battles. I actually kind of hoped this game would have more historic maps then it does. Like I was wondering if they had like a mod for the battle of Borodino where there was a combined assault of French heavy cavalry against the Russian redoubt to disable their artillery. The naval aspect of this game didnt really catch my interest

Stanislav II
24th Jan 2007, 14:53
Great to see some new blood....alas this game seems to have become a bit of a cul de sac.../dead end.....at least as far as developers/distributors go....

Yeah, right. But I don't think it was properly advertised. This game is awesome so it still should be selling well, seeing it's only 2 years old.

synchro_w
29th Mar 2007, 05:05
i do find the land battles run much too fast ad i cannot control my units or even select them during pause the way i can in TW games. i've never been a fast 'clicker' the way you have to be for so called RTSs like command&conquer. it's all about how quickly you can rush from one unit to another with the cursor.ie, arcade like.

i don't enjoy this t all. in fact, until i found the patch i was getting very tired of the battles. i found a way of quickly clicking on units and making moves etc inbetween super quick pause clicks but it feels like the battles were added as an afterthought.

i'm about to try the patched game. but if i cannot slow the game speed down DRASTICALLY i won't be playing it much more. i enjoy taking my time over decisions. i don't want to be rushed. at waterloo there were scores of thousands of men moving around but in this game a whole unit of thousands of men can be killed in seconds. it's just naff. as i said.. it's like an arcade game. in those seconds you could still be moving another unit or changing its formation to deal with a cav charge. i want the battles to take time.. not 3 minutes. it shouldn't be like a game of speedchess. there should be options for those who don't want arcade gameplay. leaving them out has screwed this game up. i borrowed it a while ago and didn';t bother much with it but i bought this 2nd hand for £3. so am giving it naother go cos i really enjoy the napoleonic period.

now, i have to say the diplomacy and resource/trade aspects of the game are fine and outshine TW [which is very basic in comparison] tho they are kinda era specific. i don't think this game's engine could be used for any other era. but that's ok by me.

i want to like this game. but the battlefields just feel rushed or, for want of a better term, console-like. surely the devs knew the battles of this period are what draw a lot of ppl to it?

maybe next time they'll get it right?

cheers
darr

Rikki
3rd Apr 2007, 20:52
I'm a Mac guy, just discovered the game two weeks ago and these boards a day ago. Nice to know this exists. I hope I'm not so late that the wave of interest has faded. (Wouldn't be the first time, I finally bought Railroad Tycoon a year ago.) :cool:

Really love everything about the game in general -- the overall strategic concept, the historical look and situation, the way you can switch to tactical (or choose not to, which can be a relief sometimes), and of course the tactical battles and graphics themselves.

Unfortunately, it's the small things that are preventing my love affair from really blossoming and may cool me off completely over time. The poor control interface at the tactical level, and that godawful money counter that takes forever. (I often forgo lucrative trades just because I don't want to spend 5 minutes waiting for the number to get high enough. Is there a way to move the counter faster?) Also, does anyone else feel the game takes too long, in terms of years? Seems like the outcome of the game is determined long before the 40 years is up, so it seems tedious to play it out till the end.

I also have questions about tactics which aren't covered in the tutorial but perhaps are covered by you folks on these boards somewhere. Any links or suggestions? (I seem to be especially inept at naval battles. I naven't won a single one-on-one engagement yet!)

I am a bit disappointed that they couldn't make the tactical "armies" a bit more realistic (more populous) but I read someone's post about how the frontage is more or less the same as an actual division in terms of distance, which helps me accept the game conceptually, somehow.

I'm eager to try the multi-player feature with someone, especially a 2-on-2 if that's possible. (Is it?) Though I feel sorry for any teammate of mine, since I will probably be cannon fodder. :(

Rikki

mariandan
19th May 2007, 09:43
Love the game its one of my favorit anyone that wants to play it wit me
marian_dan_1989@hotmail.com or marian_dan_1601@yahoo.com

contact me

_five_by_five_
1st Jun 2007, 13:40
Unfortunately, it's the small things that are preventing my love affair from really blossoming and may cool me off completely over time. The poor control interface at the tactical level, and that godawful money counter that takes forever. (I often forgo lucrative trades just because I don't want to spend 5 minutes waiting for the number to get high enough. Is there a way to move the counter faster?)

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean the interface where you make your offers for all kinds of things (alliances, trades)? There you can simply type in the number of money (in the PC version at least), you don't have to you use the up/down arrows.
If you mean money is a slow ressource, than well, true for part of the game (1st tier and part of 2nd), later on on the contrary my problem is I don't know what do do with the overabundance of it - except buying countries, but that's the lamest way to win :scratch:

Also, does anyone else feel the game takes too long, in terms of years? Seems like the outcome of the game is determined long before the 40 years is up, so it seems tedious to play it out till the end.

Honestly after a while I decided that it is my own definition of success that ends the game. Total victory is tedious and kind of an absurd concept, so I start playing with a selfdefined goal, e.g. uniting the german countries as Prussia (small goal, short campaign, but Prussia is tough to survive with anyway), controlling Africa with England and so on. You can give yourself a time limit as well. It is much more pleasing and entertaining that way than spending two days making the whole map one color :)

clayc
7th Jun 2007, 23:44
JOIN US TRYING TO FORM A I.G COMMUNITY COME OVER AND SIGN UP AT www.clantoolz.com/pa4