PDA

View Full Version : Which platform?

StarChampagne
8th Jan 2007, 18:07
I'm pretty certain Anniversary will grace the 'major' consoles at least (here's to hoping for a Nintendo release as well for TREEBLE :) ).

Now my decision is, is it TR for Xbox 360 or PC? That's my dilemma. I have always been PC gamer but it might be time for something new. Anyone have any opinions on which is 'better'? (Not intending to start a 'console war' here, just looking for some advice :) ).

EDIT: Ok, I just found the other thread about the Xbox 360 :) On the premise that it is coming out on this console, any thoughts, anyone?

Dogfight
8th Jan 2007, 20:41
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Tomb Raider Anniversary is only coming out for the PC, PS2, and the PSP. A lot of XBox fans were pissed off about this. However they failed to realize that Sony won the last two console wars. In the last console war PS2 beat XBox with way more quality video games. Therefore PS2 is the better system than XBox and currently it has more quality titles than XBox 360. Further the PS2 is still selling very well. XBox 360 may be the future but that future will have to wait until no more new games are made for PS2 and the PS2 finally goes to pasture. Unlike XBox which died over a year ago, PS2 is thriving with new games coming out this spring. Including God of War 2 and Tomb Raider Anniversary. If you want a console system then I recommend a PS2. It is low priced, has a great selection of video games to choose from and if you do not have one then you are missing out on playing some of the best games of all time.

MillaFan
8th Jan 2007, 21:10
Now, to actually answer your question unlike the previous poster, if it were coming to the 360 I would get it for that rather than PC. I just like how with a console you put the disc in, and it just works - no settings to change, and no possibility that it won't perform. That being said though, while I also own a PS2, I'll be getting it on PC. The PS2 is so dated now, the visuals just don't stand up to what a halfway decent PC can handle.

Mangar The Dark
8th Jan 2007, 21:37
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Tomb Raider Anniversary is only coming out for the PS2 and the PSP. A lot of XBox fans were pissed off about this. However they failed to realize that Sony won the last two console wars. In the last console war PS2 beat XBox with way more quality video games. Therefore PS2 is the better system than XBox and currently it has more quality titles than XBox 360. Further the PS2 is still selling very well. XBox 360 may be the future but that future will have to wait until no more new games are made for PS2 and the PS2 finally goes to pasture. Unlike XBox which died over a year ago, PS2 is thriving with new games coming out this spring. Including God of War 2 and Tomb Raider Anniversary. If you want a console system then I recommend a PS2. It is low priced, has a great selection of video games to choose from and if you do not have one then you are missing out on playing some of the best games of all time.

Wow, I hope Sony's been paying you well to be their spokesperson!

RuumTaedor
8th Jan 2007, 22:10
Hehe well if it's in print (or post) then it must be true. ;)

Treeble
8th Jan 2007, 22:28
I've also always used to play Tomb Raider on PC, though waaay back in the late nineties a friend had just bought a PS1 and TR3, so I got used to the (stupid jerky most-dated) controller back then. If I were given the choice, it seems I've made very clear which platform I'd go with :D ;) simply because my PC can't handle Legend and any other newer games. I still play (every now and then) the first five games and some custom levels on the PC though.

I do hope they release for all platforms. And for the "Sony won argument", that may be very true, but have you been following the sales of the next gen consoles?

http://nexgenwars.com

Wii sell well. Wii want Tomb Raider!

floydthebarber
8th Jan 2007, 22:32
Why anyone would want to play it on a "kid box" when they have a pc is strange. Unless your pc is an antique, then possibly I guess. But it is better to upgrade or build a new system with the cost of components these days.

I pulled out a Computer Shopper I had saved from 1999 (just before the release of The Last Revelation) and I was shocked at the prices on pc's and components. Of course I was buying then, but over time I forgot how expensive it was to put together a system prior to a few years ago. Now it is dirt cheap.

Treeble
8th Jan 2007, 22:40
"kid box"

That's such a wrong concept, but each to their own.

floydthebarber
8th Jan 2007, 23:42
I plagiarized the description from one of "Lara's Boyfriend's" posts. Wish I could take credit for it though. ;)

Raider0011
9th Jan 2007, 16:58
I really hope that Tomb Raider Anniversary is released on all consoles as well. The XBox 360 and Wii are both selling well, and I think Eidos is ignoring a fairly large market by not releasing the game on these platforms. As for the argument that "Sony won the last console war", this may very well be true, but there are two things to consider here: 1) That does not mean they'll win this time (Though admittedly the XBox 360 and Wii have an upward battle). and 2) If Eidos' decision had anything to do with the console war, they would be supporting the PS3, not the PS2. I am not sure what their reasoning is here (And I hope they make a surprise announcement that it is coming to XBox 360 and Wii), but I don't think it has much to do with who won the console war.

Daemonsbane
13th Jan 2007, 15:59
Well, one of the primary reasons I'm most interested in a 360 version as my preference is because of my HDTV and La-Z-Boy. :cool:

And the 360's nifty wireless controller is yet another reason.

Legend on the big screen was just too beautiful and too much fun, what a great combination! :thumbsup:

My PS2 just doesn't work as well for some games ... I have the component cables, so Tourist Trophy using the GT4 engines looks great, but FF XII looks so bad on my setup that I won't buy another PS2 game without actually seeing it first.

Headache
13th Jan 2007, 16:21
...Better come out on PC. That's all I've ever played TR on.
It wouldn't make sense for TRA not to come out on PC... It's almost standard, and the original platform for which TR first came out was PC. (I think)
Why stop 'tradition'?

gtkilla
13th Jan 2007, 18:27
It wouldn't make sense for TRA not to come out on PC... It's almost standard, and the original platform for which TR first came out was PC. (I think)
Why stop 'tradition'?

It's been confirmed for PC anyway. Most of us here are hoping for a 360 version, I really hope Eidos has one in development already and they're just waiting for the right time to announce it. :o

floydthebarber
13th Jan 2007, 19:36

Nothing to fear youngster! ;) There's no way in hell that they would only release the game on kid boxes. It's nice to see a teenager intelligent enough to know that a pc is the way to go.

With a pc you have options for everything (software adjustments, hardware upgrades, etc), with a kid box you are stuck with what you got. It's too bad that some are scared off by a real multi-purpose machine and real keyboard controls.

StarChampagne
13th Jan 2007, 20:59
Thanks for your input everyone, much appreciated :)

Nothing to fear youngster! ;) There's no way in hell that they would only release the game on kid boxes. It's nice to see a teenager intelligent enough to know that a pc is the way to go.

Each to their own :rolleyes: I still don't see how a 'kid box' is any less 'adult' than a computer (except by sobriquet :p).

floydthebarber
13th Jan 2007, 21:10
I still don't see how a 'kid box' is any less 'adult' than a computer (except by sobriquet :p).

No, I guess you wouldn't. ;)

StarChampagne
13th Jan 2007, 21:13
No, I guess you wouldn't. ;)

Perhaps you should have explained it better ;)

rabid metro
13th Jan 2007, 21:21
Why anyone would want to play it on a "kid box" when they have a pc is strange.

who's kidding who? recently, kids of all ages have shown an overwhelming preference for wii toys. i hope CD/Eidos can make TRA more compelling for whatever system is your preference. Lara IS legendary and should be enjoyed by all.

Treeble
13th Jan 2007, 21:26
With a pc you have options for everything (software adjustments, hardware upgrades, etc), with a kid box you are stuck with what you got.

But the price you pay everytime you have to upgrade your computer is about the same as getting a new, next generation, 'kid box'. I play games on the PC and on my GameCube (and on the Wii later on this year), with the GameCube I don't take any chances of a game not running or running at bad framerates because of the numberous variables in the PC, I just stuck in the disc and play staright away.

I don't think it's got anything to do with 'intelligence' or 'age' as you keep saying, but rather with comodity and comfort. And as it's been said over and over, each to their own. If you want to think you're more intelligent than the rest of us just because you play on a PC, do so and be happy.

floydthebarber
13th Jan 2007, 21:26
I'll break out my remedial language skills.

PC=Good Why is good? Can do things bigger and better than kid boxes. Can do things to make you grow up smarter. Kid box only make dumber. PC can grow like all little ones will someday. Kid box stuck as little one forever. One day whole kid box become big paper weight. PC swaps parts to be like new!

PC make game look great on LCD monitor. Kid box look bad on tv. Some use kid box on good tv. That like putting ketchup on a hot dog. Bad!

Any kid can operate kid box. Only smart kid operate pc properly. Kid needs to learn how to operate pc, and kid get smarter. Kid box only make for dumb, time-waster kid.

Just having a bit of fun, but I think that one gets the point.

floydthebarber
13th Jan 2007, 21:37
But the price you pay everytime you have to upgrade your computer is about the same as getting a new, next generation, 'kid box'.

I suppose that if one were to replace all the components (or almost all) then you would be correct. But invariably one replaces a component at a time, such as a new video card or more ram.

Usually I just give my old components or old systems to my nieces and nephews. I upgrade constantly, I have upgraded video cards 3 times in the last 6 months. So they usually get darn good systems.

Headache
14th Jan 2007, 02:10
Any kid can operate kid box. Only smart kid operate pc properly. Kid needs to learn how to operate pc, and kid get smarter.
(That was very entertaining to read, lol)

But #1.... I have no clue how to operate a 'kid box'... Well mabey a little, but barely.

#2... And as to operating a PC properly.... Well don't we have to look stuff up on the net for reports or whatnot? You don't have to be to smart to do that. 'Learning' to play a game on a PC (if that's what you're pertaining to) isn't really something that needs to be learned.... But this is a whole other topic.
Just thought I'd give my 2 cents....

Pfft. Scratch that. My thoughts aren't worth even that.
:p

floydthebarber
14th Jan 2007, 02:42
'Learning' to play a game on a PC [SIZE="1"](if that's what you're pertaining to) isn't really something that needs to be learned....

Not playing games, maintaining and operating a pc. All of my nieces and nephews (aged 12 to 21) know how a pc works, and understand (at the very least) basic windows operations. The 4 older ones have put together their own systems (with guidance and some components from me) and I make sure that they know how to keep their systems safe and running at their best. If they have any problems, I expect them to do some of the troubleshooting and repairs. If they cannot, I assist them them but I insist that they watch and understand what is being done. They do all of their homework on their computers, something that you cannot do on a console.

Also, they do not have the money to own both a new console and a pc. So it makes more sense to have a multi-purpose machine.

rabid metro
14th Jan 2007, 17:27
did i fall asleep in the chair and dream this or what?

HI. I'm a wii ...

HI, and I'm a PC!

I make gameplaying easy and fun and ...

PC=Good Why is good? Can do things bigger and better than kid boxes. Can do things to make you grow up smarter. Kid box only make dumber. PC can grow like all little ones will someday. Kid box stuck as little one forever. One day whole kid box become big paper weight. PC swaps parts to be like new!

... oh come on PC, don't be like that ...

PC make game look great on LCD monitor. Kid box look bad on tv. Some use kid box on good tv. That like putting ketchup on a hot dog. Bad!

Any kid can operate kid box. Only smart kid operate pc properly. Kid needs to learn how to operate pc, and kid get smarter. Kid box only make for dumb, time-waster kid.

well, i hope you feel better now PC. wii'd you like to play? take my wii-mote in your right hand and my nunchuks in your left and swing it, now doesn't that feel better ...

Just having wii fun, but I think that any kid gets the point.

"A little off the top and keep the sideburns even, please"

floydthebarber
14th Jan 2007, 17:41
Obviously you fail to understand my point. Is there an intelligent, cognitive level below remedial? I'll see if I can find one and rephrase it for the benefit of those who fit this lower level. :scratch:

Headache
14th Jan 2007, 18:23
Not playing games, maintaining and operating a pc. All of my nieces and nephews (aged 12 to 21) know how a pc works, and understand (at the very least) basic windows operations. The 4 older ones have put together their own systems (with guidance and some components from me) and I make sure that they know how to keep their systems safe and running at their best. If they have any problems, I expect them to do some of the troubleshooting and repairs. If they cannot, I assist them them but I insist that they watch and understand what is being done. They do all of their homework on their computers, something that you cannot do on a console.
Ahhh. Gotcha. :thumbsup:

StarChampagne
15th Jan 2007, 18:41
Sorry you felt the need to break out your remedial language skills :rolleyes:

I agree, the Xbox does require a lot less technical expertise. However, it would be nice for the difficulty to lie within the game, and not numerous hours spent playing with compatability modes.

As it is, my PC leaves a little to be desired. In fact, I'm telling a lie, it's a laptop :rolleyes: Which is good for limited space and portability, but it was never built for gaming. As far as processing speed goes, even the lowly 'kid-box' could outrun it.

I find it ironic that I'm having this discussion... Always have been a PC gamer. And yes, I completely agree that a PC is a superior beast. However, I still don't see the evil in using an Xbox as a gaming device. Attribute it to my inability to understand even the most basic of descriptions if you will :o

floydthebarber
15th Jan 2007, 19:06
I apologize for offending you StarChampagne.

I don't see any evil in it either. I think that when one is using just one platform (regardless of the type) than that person is going to want any game to be made for it (read controls, graphics, etc. designed for it). I believe that multi-platform games are compromises that try and satisfy everyone, but inevitably fail for a percentage (which varies).

So, since I am a pc gamer, I want every game that I would want to play to be as I expect it. I have recently experienced a couple of titles that would explain my reasoning (Legend is one).

I received the Lord of the Rings games a while back. I loaded one of the games and attempted to play it. The game was gorgeous graphically, but I found the controls to be totally alien to me and it was difficult for me to maneuver the character. I later discovered that these games were developed for consoles, and therefore the controls were later adapted for the pc. I gave the games to my nephew.

Mind you I am an avid gamer, as I have said before I have a couple hundred titles under my belt. I now scrutinize any game that I am going to purchase to make sure that it was developed for the pc first (if possible). So this is why I feel the way that I do.

I am not hostile towards the console gamer (except in an obtuse kind of way), but more towards the game developers who choose to elevate the console over the pc. This is only natural since I do not own, nor ever will own a console. Perhaps I am a dinosaur in this regard, time will tell I guess.

Headache
15th Jan 2007, 22:32
I am not hostile towards the console gamer (except in an obtuse kind of way), but more towards the game developers who choose to elevate the console over the pc. This is only natural since I do not own, nor ever will own a console. Perhaps I am a dinosaur in this regard, time will tell I guess.
You're not the only dino. :)

StarChampagne
16th Jan 2007, 18:53
Floydthebarber: No offense taken :) I apologise if my post sounded offended.

I don't play many other games apart from Tomb Raider so I have not experienced the 'made for another console' syndrome. I mostly play the old C&C games, which were made for the PC, so no problems there. However, I would be very irratated if I had, and extremely annoyed with the consoles as a result (PCs were here first! etc.). I love the PC, I just feel that the Xbox 360 might perhaps be able to offer more than mine in the way of gaming.

Although I seem to have sustained mild RSI playing some racing game (the only one I have ever played on the Xbox 360, I might add :p)... keyboard controls definitely take some beating :)

Legend
16th Jan 2007, 21:03
These debates are always popping in every corner of the internet! It's maddening! I think it just really matters what system you like best. There's always a mammoth of advantages that someone can come up with for a system but when they're supporting it do they come up with the disadvantages? Mostly likely not. As for Tomb Raider being on the 360, I think the reason it's only being released on the PSP, PS2, and PC, like people have said before, is because this is the Anniversary version! Tomb Raider is not an original Nintendo or Microsoft game! If you've been with Tomb Raider since the beginning you'll most likely own a PS2 or a well-equipped computer! This game really isn't for the XBOX or Nintendo fans that have just jumped on board since Legend.

gtkilla
16th Jan 2007, 23:40
These debates are always popping in every corner of the internet! It's maddening! I think it just really matters what system you like best. There's always a mammoth of advantages that someone can come up with for a system but when they're supporting it do they come up with the disadvantages? Mostly likely not. As for Tomb Raider being on the 360, I think the reason it's only being released on the PSP, PS2, and PC, like people have said before, is because this is the Anniversary version! Tomb Raider is not an original Nintendo or Microsoft game! If you've been with Tomb Raider since the beginning you'll most likely own a PS2 or a well-equipped computer! This game really isn't for the XBOX or Nintendo fans that have just jumped on board since Legend.

But isn't the whole point of Anniversary to bring the first game up to todays standards and bring in new fans, I don't see how they can do that by just releasing it on the PS2. Not giving the newly recruited Xbox players an opportunity to play the game is a very bad idea. What was the point of releasing legend on the xbox if they weren't gonna bring the new game to it?

Treeble
17th Jan 2007, 00:40

Ludicrous, IMO.

Raider0011
17th Jan 2007, 13:42
Make no mistake, Eidos is not making the Anniversary Game solely for the fans, they are (As they would be stupid not to be) hoping to bring in more fans with a snazzy reinvention of the first game (The game that made a franchise)... If they were making this solely for the fans, they would not be investing this much time in reinventing it, as they know a shinier version of the same levels would excite us too... ;)

As for the comment that the reason the game is not coming to the XBox is because TR1 didn't come out on a Microsoft product, I'm sure this didn't even occur to the powers that be at Eidos. When Sega fell out of the console business (Remember TR1 came out on Sega Saturn before it came out on PS1), many of their fans moved to Microsoft's console. This of course means that there are a lot of TR fans that are now using Microsoft's machine. In order to get the biggest bang for their buck and have the greatest opportunity to bring in fans new and old, Eidos should be releasing the game on the XBox 360. I would also support a Wii version, as I feel that is a market that Eidos has largely ignored (Which is just poor business).

StarChampagne
17th Jan 2007, 19:58
These debates are always popping in every corner of the internet! It's maddening! I think it just really matters what system you like best. There's always a mammoth of advantages that someone can come up with for a system but when they're supporting it do they come up with the disadvantages? Mostly likely not. As for Tomb Raider being on the 360,

This thread started as a 'are there any pressing reasons for choosing the '360 over a PC?' I'm not sure what I was expecting, and you're right, you can come up with reasons to support either platform.

...This game really isn't for the XBOX or Nintendo fans that have just jumped on board since Legend.

Or the ones that have been around almost forever... :rolleyes: Not that I count myself among them, it's just I'm sure there are plenty of TR veterans out there who have either a Nintendo or Xbox system.

As Raider0011 rightly says, this game is not some exclusive remake solely for the old fans as opposed to 'ones that have jumped on board since Legend'. Eidos, I am sure, has something higher up on its agenda than honouring those who have chosen the PlayStation over Microsoft: namely, money. Anniversary is most likely intended to present a souped-up version of the original to get newer fans hooked on the series, and an easy way of making a lot of profit and winning lots of critical acclaim: TR1, as we know, is a winning formula. Eidos would have a hard time making a rubbish game if it was mostly true to the original. Therefore, if I were Eidos they would have gone into administration ten times over already I would bring out my product on all the platforms I could. More platforms = more product :)

Treeble
17th Jan 2007, 20:36
More product = more fans = more income = success.

Raider0011
23rd Jan 2007, 20:33
More product = more fans = more income = success.

EXACTLY :D It just doesn't make sense to limit a product with the selling power of Tomb Raider to a few platforms... If Eidos were developing a niche title, or something based on an unproven formula I could understand entirely, but limiting a franchise like Tomb Raider is ridiculous. I hope they realize the importance of a multi-platform release for such a high profile game.