PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Playing as Russia...

Imperius
20th Dec 2006, 13:24
I can win on "hard" as my native Britain with my eyes closed, so I tried a new challenge and played as everyone else, also on hard.

I managed to win with all empires in a series of fascinating games, but I can't replicate the most enjoyable success, Russia, to save my life.

I think I must have been lucky the first time around during the first few years when various neighbours can turn on you. Since then, I've tried several times as Russia but failed miserably. My usual strategy is to buy a defense alliance with Sweden then start to arm myself like mad, as far as you can with Russia's pitiful money and population production. Very early in the game Poland usually declares war. I sort them out, but before I can restore some strength to my forces, the Ottaman Empire usually declares war. Sensing blood, they are followed within a few turns usually by Austria and Sweden (by then I cannot afford to renew the defensive alliance because pesky enemies keep killing my infantry) and sometimes by Prussia as well. Occasionally Britain has taken Sweden by then and if they decare war it's curtains. Even if Britain is nowhere to be seen, war on all these fronts usually results in a no-win situation for me.

I just can't get to grips with it.

Can any Russian expert help, please?

:scratch: