PDA

View Full Version : cheapest NVidia card for next-gen graphics?

florin
11th Dec 2006, 08:38
So far I only played the demo but I want to purchase the full version soon.

On my system (AthlonXP 2000, GeForce FX 5200 Ultra AGP), I can play the demo at 1024x768 with smooth frame rate if I disable anti-aliasing and depth-of-field. With those two enabled, I have to switch to 640x480 to preserve smooth motion. Next-gen graphics cannot be enabled.

If I upgrade the card in order to enable next-gen graphics content when I purchase the full game, what would be the cheapest NVidia card that would work? What type, and what would be the average price currently?
It must be NVidia since this is a dual-boot system and a few apps on Linux work better with NVidia than with ATI.

P.S.: What is depth-of-field exactly? What does it do to the image when it's activated?

GoranAgar
11th Dec 2006, 12:32
A GeForce 7600 should work. I do not know if a 7300 will. I'll have to check that out.

Next-Gen does not work in the demo anyways. ;)

shirl123
11th Dec 2006, 15:02
A GeForce 7600 should work. I do not know if a 7300 will. I'll have to check that out.

7300 works (for me), but not smoothly.

Terminatorvs
11th Dec 2006, 18:44
Depth of field is an effect that draws far-away objects blurred.

florin
11th Dec 2006, 19:04
7300 works (for me), but not smoothly.

What is the highest resolution that works smoothly on the 7300 with next-gen graphics? (I assume there is a resolution low enough so that the frame rate is high enough to provide smooth motion)

What's your CPU? (does it matter?)

shirl123
11th Dec 2006, 19:41
What is the highest resolution that works smoothly on the 7300 with next-gen graphics? (I assume there is a resolution low enough so that the frame rate is high enough to provide smooth motion)

What's your CPU? (does it matter?)

it's perfect with 800X600, also works nicely with 768X1024. but for some reason the main screen wouldn't load :scratch:

hmm, I don't remember exactly what my CPU is, but all I know is that it's good enough for these stuff. :p

florin
11th Dec 2006, 21:04
Depth of field is an effect that draws far-away objects blurred.

Ah yes, I remember after turning it off, I thought the image looks a bit more crisp but somehow less natural.

hmm, I don't remember exactly what my CPU is, but all I know is that it's good enough for these stuff. :p

I was worrying that perhaps my CPU is not fast enough so adding a faster card won't make sense.

Lunideth
12th Dec 2006, 05:52
Its no use to buy cheap videocard to play with nextGen.
I hanve GeForce 7900GT (I payed 350€ for it) and i cant play legend with all graphic effects + next gen. I have to turn some effects off to play with next gen or play with all effects on, but without nextGen. And game is far more beautiful with all effects except nextgen than with nextgen.

So if u buy cheaper videocard your graphic would be worse.

florin
12th Dec 2006, 06:04
I hanve GeForce 7900GT (I payed 350€ for it) and i cant play legend with all graphic effects + next gen. I have to turn some effects off to play with next gen or play with all effects on, but without nextGen.

What resolution?

What CPU? (if it matters)

Lunideth
12th Dec 2006, 06:45
1024x768
P4 651 3,4Ghz

Deadly47
13th Dec 2006, 03:23
Hmm I use a Nvida Geforce Fx 5200. I play it at full graphics at a resolution of 1024x768.

It works fine

P.S Say Hi to me the newst member. I have every single tombradier game:cool:

Lunideth
13th Dec 2006, 04:30
As far as i know in GeForce Fx 5200 NextGen dont work....

Deadly47
13th Dec 2006, 04:42
Ohh yea it dont it just plays it with regular graphics. But thats good engouh for me and my monitor.

Lunideth
13th Dec 2006, 07:29
Ohh yea it dont it just plays it with regular graphics. But thats good engouh for me and my monitor.

Or i mist something or you mist... wasnt this topic about NextGen????

floydthebarber
29th Dec 2006, 15:12
I loaded the game on my other pc with a 6800GS and it worked just fine with NextGen enabled.

In fact Eidos customer support says:
"In order for the "Next-Gen" content to be used your system must be running a video card which supports Shader Model 3.0. Currently only the Nvidia GeForce 6 and 7 series cards, as well as the ATI Radeon X1000 series cards support Shader Model 3.0. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please Note: Tomb Raider Legend should run correctly with the Next-Gen content activated on video cards with 256mb of video ram. However, as listed on the game box the Optimal Specs list a requirement for a 512mb video card. If you are running a 256mb (or lower) video card and incur performance issuesor other gameplay related problems, try disabling the Next-Gen content."

florin
29th Dec 2006, 18:59
I loaded the game on my other pc with a 6800GS and it worked just fine with NextGen enabled.

What CPU? What resolution? Estimate frame rate?
Did you have to turn off some effects? (such as anti-aliasing)

floydthebarber
29th Dec 2006, 20:07
It's on an Athlon64 3700+ at 1280X960. Anti-aliasing is off (tried it with it on, not so good). As far as the frame rates I could not tell you (do not know how to access them), but in comparison to my other pc (Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz; EGVA 7950GT) it lags a bit in highly detailed or multi-character scenes. On my better system there is very little frame rate issues at the highest settings.

My guess is that any card under a 6800 would not effectively utilize the NextGen graphics in any enjoyable way.

Newegg has the card I am referring to here (it is refurbished):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130063

Griz1
31st Dec 2006, 22:27
Here's a straight answer to your question. I see your currently using an AGP based card and motherboard. So am I. (Most of these guys are on newer PCI-Express systems.) I've found the most cheapest way for us to get smoother next-gen frame rates and stay on AGP is to #1. go to a XP 3200 CPU (fastest you can get for a XP processor) and #2. get a BFG ot EVGA 7800GS AGP video card. This has given me smooth next-gen graphics with good frame rates@1280x768 (I'm on a wide screen LCD monitor) Just remember to keep your hard drive defragged and virus/spyware free without any junk running in the background during gameplay.

I got my XP3200 CPU off of Ebay. Do a search and you can get one for under $100 or so. The video card I got from Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

Hope this answers your question. Very happy with my setup. Don't need to go to a PCI-E setup for another year or more.

florin
2nd Jan 2007, 23:58
Griz1, thank you for your excellent reply. :thumbsup:

#1. go to a XP 3200 CPU (fastest you can get for a XP processor) and #2. get a BFG ot EVGA 7800GS AGP video card.

Have you tried this card with a slower CPU? If yes, what were the results?
I guess it's not clear to me, when it comes to next-gen graphics, how much is the contribution of the CPU and how much the graphics card. Is next-gen CPU-intensive, GPU-intensive, or both? If both, any idea what are the contributions of each?

The video card I got from Newegg

The power requirements are pretty hefty. What's your power supply unit? (400W? 500W?)

Terminatorvs
3rd Jan 2007, 07:26
Joseph on tombraiderforums described a method to launch the game in NG-mode on old video cards that can't support 3.0 shaders. Here it is:

It is possible to "force" next generation content on older graphic cards that do not support shader model 3, but DO support shader model 2. It can be a nice experiment, but because your older card is only able to display a part of the content, the result is never better than a crippled next generation display. It is obvious why they disabled it.
Here is the hack method:
Open Registry, navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider: Legend
Right-click in the panel at the right, create a new DWORD value called "ExtendedDialog" (without the exclamation marks!) and give it the value "1".
Close Registry.

Click Start > All Programs > Eidos > Tomb Raider - Legend > Setup.
You will notice a new little button at the right bottom of the setup menu. Click that button to expand the menu.
Tick OFF "No Dynamic Textures"
Tick ON "Use D3D Reference Device"
Leave the rest as it is, click OK.

A failure! -message will appear. Click OK.
This brings you back to the extended menu. This time you will see that the option "Next Generation content" is no longer greyed out but enabled. Tick it ON.
You will see that this enables the option "Use 3.0 Shader Features" as well. I leave it ticked OFF because last night i could run that but today my Explorer behaves like it is corrupted, also today the 3.0 shader option will only result in dump to desktop with Windows error.
Select your own settings. I have these:
1024x768
85 Hz
All settings ticked ON including Next Generation Content, and VSync.
In the dropdownbox "Texture Filtering" -->2 x Aniso. [edit: hmm.. 4x works too. Even 8x, even 16X ! <-- that is because the 9700Pro supports 16x anisotropic filtering. Many other cards don't, so look into your card's properties, or just experiment.]

When you're done,
Tick OFF "Use D3D Reference Device" and click OK.

The game will start. This time with Next generation content enabled in Display settings.

BUT you will only see what your card can handle. Which means on my old Radeon 9700Pro that shadows are extremely simple and hard-edged. Also, although "water effects" is enabled, they are not fully displayed like on my other PC with ATI X1900XT, a real shader model 3.0 card.
Depending on the lightsources around Lara, but especially under the bright burning sunlight of the first level the shades on her in close up can look cheap and like cutout layers over eachother. Plus the game runs extremely slow. Not the optimal way of playing the game, and also NOT diplaying the Next Gen content as it is meant to be, namely with shader model 3.0 functions enabled.

Griz1
6th Jan 2007, 03:06
My previous cpu was a XP2800 barton. I decided to up it to the 3200 as it seem a cheap enough upgrade. Plus it appears to double the 200mhz fsb internally to 400mhz. Real happy with that deal. I'd have to say the performance/frame rate increase may be a combination of faster CPU and GPU. You really need both. Been running a pair of 512mb corsair 3500 ddr-2 memory modules (1gb total) for a couple of years now. Sure they help as well. As for power supply I've also been using 450-500w units for a few years as well. Their cheap enough these days. After reading the reviews finally broke down and bought an Antec 650w Trio unit. It's got more than enough stable power and connections to satisfy my needs for the foreseeable future (including a PCI-E/SLI setup).

Blackjack Davy
12th Jan 2007, 19:44
Its no use to buy cheap videocard to play with nextGen.
I hanve GeForce 7900GT (I payed 350€ for it) and i cant play legend with all graphic effects + next gen. I have to turn some effects off to play with next gen or play with all effects on, but without nextGen. And game is far more beautiful with all effects except nextgen than with nextgen.

So if u buy cheaper videocard your graphic would be worse.

I have GeForce 7900 GTX and I can play Legend with all graphic effects + next gen. I woudn't play it without next gen the graphics just aren't good enough otherwise.

You need a graphics card with minimum of 512mb of RAM and DDR3.