PDA

View Full Version : TR on Mac

nash164
5th Dec 2006, 00:52
I have recently become a neophyte of the apple mac enthusiasts having bought myself a Mac OS X Tiger for college.
Works like a dream- it's true what they say! Once you've tasted apple mac, you'll never go back. One problem though, I can't seem to get TRL to play on it at all. The system recognises the CD but not the data..
Any suggestions or tips from people who play on mac OS X? Do I have to download software to be able to play PC games or are there games sold exclusively for apple mac?
Bear in mind, I'm all very new to it!
Thanks in advance!
nash:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RuumTaedor
5th Dec 2006, 01:38
Hey nash164, its nice to see someone else who uses a Mac.

Tomb Raider Legend is a Windows game, so it will not run on Mac OS X. There is no Mac version of Legend so far. I'm very disappointed because there has been a Mac version of every other version of Tomb Raider, and Legend is coming out for every other platform on the planet except the Mac. In any case, if you have purchased a recent Mac, then you must have an Intel Mac. These new Macs are fabulous, because they are able to run Mac OS X and Windows, which fills a gap for a lot of people (like me). To use Windows programs, you can run an emulator or virtual machine such as Parallels or VMware (Mac version of VMware to come soon). The virtual Windows machine runs in a window within Mac OS X. This is the most convenient way to access Windows applications. A virtual machine is not appropriate for games, since there is naturally some overhead in running a virtual machine.

Another option is to use Apple's Boot Camp to partition your drive so you have a Mac OS X partition and a Windows partition. This means you must choose which OS you will run (you can't run both at the same time), but when you run Windows, it will use the hardware directly and it works for games. I don't have an Intel Mac yet :(, but I've tried Legend on an Intel Mac and it works fine. Someone even posted that Next Gen works on the Mac hardware (presumably that person had one of the upgraded video cards).

Have you seen a screensaver run as a desktop background? It looks awesome. Hopefully someone has mentioned this, but if you want more info, let me know.

Enjoy your new Mac!

nash164
15th Dec 2006, 18:58
Hey Ruum Taedor,
Yes another Mac follower!:D
Thanks a lot for the advice but I was just wondering where I can acquire this Apple boot camp program? Is it available for download? If so, from where? Any negative aspects or risks that come with downloading and running it? What exactly does partitioning your drive actually entail? Is it reversible?:nut:

And no, I actually haven't seen a screensaver been run as a desktop background yet! Sounds v.cool! But wouldn't it be a bit distracting?!

RuumTaedor
17th Dec 2006, 03:45
Here's the link for Boot Camp. Apple has released it so people can try it out and see what it would be like in Leopard, the next version of Mac OS X.

Note that Boot Camp is a beta unsupported application. Beta applications being what they are, you must always use caution. It is being provided free of charge, but beta applications are incomplete and likely still have bugs. That being said, there have been many reports of people sucessfully installing Windows XP SP2 on their Intel Macs. There are also reports of attempts to use Boot Camp corrupting the entire hard drive. If you try it, make sure you back up your data.

Partitioning your drive just means allocating space for different purposes. For example, your drive likely has one partition and the entire drive is used for Mac OS X. When you use Boot Camp, it will take the existing partition and reduce it to occupy half of the drive space (or whatever amount you decide), and create a second partition to install Windows on. If you later decide you no longer want Windows, Boot Camp can remove the Windows partition and the drive will once again be entirely used for Mac OS X. Keep in mind I haven't actually used Boot Camp, this is based on what I have read, so I may be inaccurate with some things, but this is the idea.

I hope this answers your questions.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/