PDA

View Full Version : what was the main feature that attracted you to Battlestations?

chip5541
20th Nov 2006, 10:02
For me, I would would say it is both the naval battles in the WWII setting and the scope of the battles.

What say you?

dargo
20th Nov 2006, 16:22
I hope that this game and game company can do what UBI have not done with there release of Silent Hunter III.

princecaspian4
20th Nov 2006, 23:34
i like RTS games, i like air combat games, i am interested in WWII battles and history, and it has subs, what more could i ask for? but the main part for me, is the huge multiplayer battles (up to 100 different ships and planes split between 8 people)

Dutch Jester
21st Nov 2006, 01:23
i like RTS games, i like air combat games, i am interested in WWII battles and history, and it has subs, what more could i ask for? but the main part for me, is the huge multiplayer battles (up to 100 different ships and planes split between 8 people) yes the multiplayer attracted me the most and i just love using strategy in massive battles.

princecaspian4
21st Nov 2006, 02:22
yes the multiplayer attracted me the most and i just love using strategy in massive battles.

ya, the massive strategy is why i like RTS games, the only part i don't like about them is collecting resources and building an army, and in this game you are just given a fleet, that gets rid of what are for me the 2 worst parts of RTS games and it just leaves the fun part

Beastttt
21st Nov 2006, 06:37
looking for an improvement on fighting steel it is a 7 yr old game and nothing has come up to really take it's place as a fleet game

Dutch Jester
22nd Nov 2006, 02:06
ya, the massive strategy is why i like RTS games, the only part i don't like about them is collecting resources and building an army, and in this game you are just given a fleet, that gets rid of what are for me the 2 worst parts of RTS games and it just leaves the fun part
exactly that will make it amazing I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE REALEASED!!!

princecaspian4
22nd Nov 2006, 02:59
exactly that will make it amazing I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE REALEASED!!!

unfortunately we all have to wait

flyboy
23rd Nov 2006, 07:47
The ability to either jump into the each yourself or command

Deadpreacher
3rd Dec 2006, 23:40
I hope that this game and game company can do what UBI have not done with there release of Silent Hunter III.

Agreed,

Was just telling my friends i want to make some house rules when play this game. Have a team of Subs and a team of Naval boats hunting us down. Not sure how much stealth if any are in this game. Even still we talked about just tring to have all out sub battles too! Than once there is a winner we move to boats and so on to planes! Than its fight with what ever we have left. Plus afew other house rules.

I got so much hope for this game and so many things i would love to do online. I'm just scared i'm over hypen the game to myself and its going to be a day or two arcade game before it gets put away. As for what the topic started asked i been watching this game for what seems afew years now and this game offers everything i been looking for in a game. Subs, Planes & Ships all fighting togther at the same time.

Rayze
4th Dec 2006, 17:45
i like RTS games but the fact that you should be able to switch to single units ie.. BB's or CV's appeals very nicely to me :D

PinCushion
4th Dec 2006, 19:19
can i just say Ive had a chance to play this one a few times. To the point of getting my hands slapped and not being able to play again, till launch.

I would not say its a one or two day arcady game. As for the idea of house rules, nice touch but keep in mind thats your house, not mine. :rasp:

chip5541
4th Dec 2006, 21:38
So it is something thats fun to play :D Easy to pick up and play? Which version? 360 or PC?

Deadpreacher
4th Dec 2006, 23:45
can i just say Ive had a chance to play this one a few times. To the point of getting my hands slapped and not being able to play again, till launch.

I would not say its a one or two day arcady game. As for the idea of house rules, nice touch but keep in mind thats your house, not mine. :rasp:

LOL Cool, but the arcade statement wasn't saying it was arcade just hope it aint more arcadey than i hope it aint was all. Also for the house rules yes it aint your house and it was said as a friends only room. When its open room we play normal we just like to make are own rules to change it up when we play.

PinCushion
5th Dec 2006, 22:34
just talkin' smack for ya. as for actually setting up a game that way... I don't know that you can.

Maybe for a sequel.

PinCushion
5th Dec 2006, 22:35
oh yeah, all on PC so far. but thats changing... NOW! MUHAHAhahaha :rasp:

Neroman
7th Dec 2006, 03:26
mmm seguel with more planes and ships
IOWA! : )

What interested me is the great graphics (compared to NF ^^)
And the ability to take part and command is always cool, Especially when why send a comp he'll just kamikaze into a squirrel.... If you ever heard of Blazing Angels.... I had 5 of the enemy aircraft crash into a mountain when they tried to reach me in arcade mode lol, i got the kill for it too ^.^ :D

:lmao:

princecaspian4
7th Dec 2006, 05:08
mmm seguel with more planes and ships
IOWA! : )

What interested me is the great graphics (compared to NF ^^)
And the ability to take part and command is always cool, Especially when why send a comp he'll just kamikaze into a squirrel.... If you ever heard of Blazing Angels.... I had 5 of the enemy aircraft crash into a mountain when they tried to reach me in arcade mode lol, i got the kill for it too ^.^ :D

:lmao:

i had the same thing happen, and i also liked taking my plane and flying over the enemy's plane and pushing it down into the ground

Deadpreacher
7th Dec 2006, 05:21
just talkin' smack for ya. as for actually setting up a game that way... I don't know that you can.

Maybe for a sequel.

Yea im more than sure you can't ether, but i have friends i been playing with long enough. That when we play a house rule they fellow the rules. So it may be a normal game type, but we set everything thats not in use as far off in the corner as we can and only bring in and do what the rules allow. Like if its Subs or planes only everything else stays in a corner outside the battlezone until there is a winner than move onto the second stage with whats left and so on. Right now we all wanting to play with Destoryers vs Subs the most. Can't wait to have a wolf pack with friends hunting down the Destoryers.

So far i think are first made house rule is, if i understand the teams right anyways. One set of teams starts with Subs and the others with destoryers. If you lose all your subs or destoryers you move to the other class. Like if i was Subs and lost i am now allowed to bring out my destoryer to keep fighting. So it might come down to Sub vs Sub if the game allows it (thats why i want to learn more on what the subs can do) Plus there can even be a switch of roles over time where we lost all are Subs and they lost all there Destoryers so the roles are now switched all in the same game. Once you lost both class's than you allowed to bring in what ever you had left into the battle. The rest of the boats and planes until the match is done. So all depending on how the game really plays the rule can be adjusted to fit to work later after we played it.

As for the smack yea its cool. I was given you smack back LOL! Also are you going to be on PC or x360? If you happen to be going with x360 we should have a game sometime all in good fun!

Neroman
7th Dec 2006, 12:49
I don't know what system to get it for -.-
I have a 360, but i have friends in NF who probably gonna play it on the comp -.-

princecaspian4
7th Dec 2006, 22:25
I’m not sure if you could play only one type of ship, because you would need each player to have that type of ship and i don't think everyone will get the same types of ships

Deadpreacher
8th Dec 2006, 01:11
No you don't think so? Maybe i still don't have all the details i guess, but what i thought i heard was every player gets there own set of vechiles thats the same to everyone. Will maybe Allies and Japs really being the only diffrent. Is it 8 players online and you all share one fleet with your team to choose from? If thats the case (May be the first bad news i heard about this game), but could still make it work when we have a smaller room (2vs2) and adjust the rest of the rules to just the size of the room. Man that will be almost very bad playing in random rooms than would be fighting with team mates wanting to use a vechile! Since the game supports what around a 100 vechiles on the battlefield at once and with 8 players my math comes out around to with everyone with there own set of the same! Does anyone know what the case really is?

Ether way believe me we could get it to work one way or another. Even if its just 2 to 4 of us on! Will have to have diffrent rules on the size of the room which in some ways still can be fun!

princecaspian4
8th Dec 2006, 01:31
i asked earlier, and apparently each map has a set number of ships for each side, and a set number of each type of ship, so there are the same amount of ships weather it is a 4v4 game, or a 1v1 game, the computer just splits up the fleet between the players, i will try to find the post that said all that

i found it, here it is

i say
"another question, in multiplayer, will you be able to chose which ships you have in your fleet, or will everyone get the exact same fleet?"

and kier answers
"Each multiplayer map has a pre determined number of ships/aircraft which vary in class. The levels play out with this number of ships/aircraft no matter how many human players are in the session. So in a 1v1 game a player will have control of an entire fleet. Where as in a 4v4 game, they may only have 2 units under their control. "

Deadpreacher
8th Dec 2006, 01:58
Thanks, First bad news i heard. Yet on diffrent maps it would still be fun depending on the numbers of people to still playing it out on how i was saying. Ether way it can be done just not in a full room! :mad2:

LOL now knowen this im coming up with even more game types that can be done and work with a full room. Well it may be a blow, but not all is lost! Just can't wait to have the game in hand and just go from there with what works!

Dutch Jester
8th Dec 2006, 03:19
:confused: wait so we dont get to pick what ships are in our fleet???

princecaspian4
8th Dec 2006, 04:39
ya, unfortunately we won't pick our own fleet, but really it isn't too big a blow, because it will keep the sides even, so you may not be able to play that with a full server 1 on 1 you should be able to (although you wouldn't have as many of each type as you would if you chose your fleet to be all one type). also if you could chose you might have people playing all subs and use the wolf pack strategy on other players so that even if they had some ships that could kill the subs the rest would be vulnerable, or you could have a player use all carriers which would easily be able to destroy a surface fleet. so this way it stays more even. also, that way a group of 2 people won't be outnumbered by a team of 4 because they still have the same amount of ships, you could say that the team with less could have an advantage, while they do have more units to manage (which would make it harder for them) having the units divided between less people means that it could be easier to carry out plans because instead of having to try to explain whatever part of your plan your teammates need to do, and run the risk of them misunderstanding your plan and doing something else, you could carry it out yourself and you know that it will be carried out just as you want it, or if you have to organize with your teammate, having less teammates lowers the risk of someone misunderstanding.

Dutch Jester
8th Dec 2006, 22:38
just to clarify you mean that you cant choose what ships are in your fleet
like if you were playing with 4v4 the map gave ur team 2 CV, 2 CL, 2 SS, and 2 BB, you couldnt pick to have 1 sub and 1 CV in your fleet.

PinCushion
8th Dec 2006, 22:43
more like the allready divided into squadrons and you can choose a set of say 3. so like squadron A is comprised of an aircraft carrier a submarine and a torpedo boat. well then you have four squads (for like of the correct technical term) for US and four for Japan. Hard to explain, but its balanced.

Dutch Jester
8th Dec 2006, 23:49
oh okay i thought that you got randomly assigned ships so i was thinking that i would never use the ships i wanted.

princecaspian4
9th Dec 2006, 00:29
that would work out better then the way i had been told, maybe i just misunderstood

Alpha Wolfgang
15th Dec 2006, 01:46
...its balanced, but kinda bad... why not make 2 types of games, Preset, and Custom, preset, is how you described with the preset fleets, while custom is customized, remember dev guys, customization is key to almost any game!!!

id like to custom make game modes for only CV's and some planes to be used for hard aerial battles and such... please make us able to make our own fleets! even if it gets incredibly unbalanced, and you dont like unbalance, go play in the Preset server instead of a custom server...

Crazy Nut BE
15th Dec 2006, 17:28
Yea customs would be great, but they shouldn't count for achievements.

PinCushion
15th Dec 2006, 21:11
great, so now im going to get in trouble again because now everyone will complain before the game launches. If it's not to peoples liking when it hits the shelves sadly. you may have to wait for a sequel.

:scratch: oh darn

you buy it, try it, tell me if its so horribly wrong. Till then I'll be playing it...
profusely.

chip5541
15th Dec 2006, 22:14
Yup! everyone know the game isnt worth it :nut:

Come on. If the publisher is playing the game consistantly before the final code goes to press then you know they are really on to something. Frankly I have alot of faith in the team and with the publisher playing too :thumbsup:

Iron Sound
15th Dec 2006, 22:57
I would say the scope of control, size of playing area, and the mix of units. The historical setting is a given attraction!
"What is the rock-paper-scissors going to be like for this game!?" when I first saw the screenshots.
It made me imagine so many situations! I suppose that's what got me salivating over this a few years back (already that long ago!?).

I think this is precisely the sort of game where the sum truly is greater than the parts, that is what draws me in! There are so many things to play with and experiment, how can you say no to it!?

princecaspian4
16th Dec 2006, 00:07
i think that having the units set for each map is good, it will keep it interesting, and if you played servers where you could pick your own ships, you may be playing as PT boats only, for example, but unless you could set the server to only allow people to pick PT boats, you will have people decide to cheat and play carriers and battleships, this way it is always fair

Alpha Wolfgang
16th Dec 2006, 05:15
but what about the peeps who dont want to play fair? most people love to make their own little cheese match, like, 1 carrier vs 30 patrol boats or something silly like that... im not trying to be mean, im trying to show the real side of gaming... fair is fun for a professional game experiance, while custom is for the majority who would like to fool around for a bit... thats why i hope theres 2 types of servers, Custom and Preset... im sure many aircraft lovers will be very dissapointed by the lack of aircraft per carrier, 12 out at a time is great, but only 12 and thats all the carrier got... can actually ruin a lot of the potential fun!

im gonna buy the game no doubt, but im just trying to warn you of a true but ignored problem... and this problem can easily be fixed (i hope...)

but, im trying to save you from having a semi bad launch, just put more planes and custom battles in and the game will be at least twice as fun! custom battles and good airplane fights will keep this game alive for years.
what im saying isnt even critisism, its an idea that would be very nice to have in... on a side note, ill love the game, but love it much more with custom battles and more planes... mostly more planes.

thanks for your time though

princecaspian4
16th Dec 2006, 05:30
im sure many aircraft lovers will be very dissapointed by the lack of aircraft per carrier, 12 out at a time is great, but only 12 and thats all the carrier got... can actually ruin a lot of the potential fun!

i’ve already explained this to you in two other threads, it is 12 planes out for each carrier at a time, you have many more in your hanger

Alpha Wolfgang
16th Dec 2006, 05:38
ok, thats all i needed, i already knew that it was 12 in air at a time, but i also heard that 12 is all ya get, then your out of planes.

princecaspian4
16th Dec 2006, 05:47
whatever you read must have left out the fact that it was 12 in the air

Alpha Wolfgang
16th Dec 2006, 05:58
i knew all along that there was 12 in the air, but i also read that 12 is all you get.

the new vids are awsome though! i wanna be a divebomber!!!